Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Lathespin.gif posted:

read the entire thread, didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

dune owns.

This is beyond hysterical and needs to be in the OP and/or the new thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mossyfisk posted:

Brian Herbert I can at least understand, he owns it, but what the gently caress is KJA doing?

He’s basically BH’s twisted mentat, except one that is retarded

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mossyfisk posted:

Brian Herbert I can at least understand, he owns it, but what the gently caress is KJA doing?

Money money money.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

priznat posted:

He’s basically BH’s twisted mentat, except one that is retarded

What’s the reverse of a mentat? A Tatnem? One who cultivates the “real fuckin dumb, just so dumb” mind?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Lathespin.gif posted:

dune owns.

This is literally perfect, from the garbage bag still suits to the sock puppet worms to the outro song.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zopotantor posted:

This is literally perfect, from the garbage bag still suits to the sock puppet worms to the outro song.

People, don't skip this over. It is really really goddamn good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I wish to hell that when they found Frank's stolen journals they had been chased and devoured by D-wolves.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mossyfisk posted:

their producer titles are also probably a consolation prize and i would be surprised if they had any day-to-day role in the production

villeneuve said the other day:

quote:

Eric Roth has written the first draft and then I worked on it on my side. I have not had such fun creatively since Incendies! I wish I could direct both movies at the same time but it would have been too expensive. We'll do them one at a time.
then brian herbert comes along and says -- look at me i'm important too!

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/995133739398123520

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Argh, shut UP Brian Herbert.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

@hackfraud

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
sure brian, please make all the comments you'd like. we're definitely interested in how your ideas can help improve the script etc. etc. etc.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Zopotantor posted:

Yeah, I came rushing in here to tell you the lame Dune joke I made at work today, but I got nothing on that video. pro-click as gently caress

Happy Reverend Mothers Day!

(that wasn't the joke, that one fell even flatter in a crowd of non-Dune-loving heretics)

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Happy Reverend Mothers Day!

(that wasn't the joke, that one fell even flatter in a crowd of non-Dune-loving heretics)

I bet you felt like a gom jabroni

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Communist Walrus posted:

I bet you felt like a gom jabroni

:vince:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
GBS>DUNE thread: Choam Gang and gom jabronis

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MC Hawking posted:

This is beyond hysterical and needs to be in the OP and/or the new thread title.

the thumper at 2:55 is fantastic.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Lathespin.gif posted:

dune owns.

Balloonen Harkonnen.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I never read the lovely prequels but I've only read the main books in a mindset of being vaguely aware that lovely prequels concerning a robot war existed. I get that the original idea of the Butlerian Jihad was way more nuanced and introspective than "stop the evil robots and their pewpew lasers before they throw more babies off of balconies," but was there really no fighting at all, and it was just some social movement where everyone threw their smartphones on the ground?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I never read the lovely prequels but I've only read the main books in a mindset of being vaguely aware that lovely prequels concerning a robot war existed. I get that the original idea of the Butlerian Jihad was way more nuanced and introspective than "stop the evil robots and their pewpew lasers before they throw more babies off of balconies," but was there really no fighting at all, and it was just some social movement where everyone threw their smartphones on the ground?

I always imagined there was tons of infighting and civil war-style stuff going on as the tech nerds resisted the luddites

you think 2nd Amendment lunatics are bad imagine if the world governments collectively decided to ban computers and phones

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It was the Butlerian Jihad, not the Butlerian Peaceful Awakening.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm pretty sure the original book says the whole reason the Harkonnens hate the Atreides is because of a betrayal during a battle during the jihad, so there was for sure some actual fighting.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
And what religion are the normal people in the universe as of the first book? "Orange Catholic?" Sorry if the last question was dumb, this one's always confused me. Like, are they mostly various types of Islamo-buddhist, just not Zensunni or Zensufi?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yeah Orange Catholic, probably. I always interpreted it to mean that most of the ‘civilized’ cosmopolitan universe was mostly philosophically or socially religious (like a ‘Christmas and easter’ thing), and one of Frank’s points is how united the Fremen were because they still had a religion that was deeply and honesty felt and that they were passionate about.

I could be wrong about the religiousness of everyone else, though. Yueh’s wife, for example, seems to have read the OCBible a lot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm pretty sure the actual details of those religions were left deliberately vague.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And what religion are the normal people in the universe as of the first book? "Orange Catholic?" Sorry if the last question was dumb, this one's always confused me. Like, are they mostly various types of Islamo-buddhist, just not Zensunni or Zensufi?

I think it's mostly Zensunni; the Orange Catholic Bible isn't there because Catholicism still exists. It's just something people of most faiths read. I think what Frank Herbert was playing at is that most major religions of today melded together into some weird combination of them all.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual details of those religions were left deliberately vague.

Plus, you know, that. He doesn't really talk about specifics just that some fragments of contemporary religions survived. How it's all organized he never actually says.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Orange Catholic was literally the most ecumenical thing you could think of in 1965, where for most English speakers, I say "religious turmoil" and you say "Ireland" and not "the middle East". The appendix to dune makes it obvious, but Yueh asks Paul to read a Kalima, which is an instructive text in Islam. OC is meant to encompass Christianity, Islam, Hinduism Buddism and other religions.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it's mostly Zensunni; the Orange Catholic Bible isn't there because Catholicism still exists. It's just something people of most faiths read. I think what Frank Herbert was playing at is that most major religions of today melded together into some weird combination of them all.

Well of course it's not "Catholics" like today. The only religion that still exists in a completely recognizable form and isn't a weird mishmash is Judaism.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You are all forgetting about the Space Jews.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really love that the Jews are the ones who survive 10,000 years of poor recordkeeping and such, it does keep with the history of the religion TBH.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I also noted how while the entire series is like, Arabian-esque and focused on Space Bedouins who practice Space Islam, how the Bene Tielaxu are sort of coded as "The Bad Kind of Arabs" which rubbed me as a sort of awkward, especially with their pointlessly hosed up lady-vats.

I'd unironically like a chairdog, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Well of course it's not "Catholics" like today. The only religion that still exists in a completely recognizable form and isn't a weird mishmash is Judaism.

Also, the word "catholic" means universal or all-encompassing, which would be an appropriate name for a religion designed to incorporate many/all existing religions: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/catholic

THS
Sep 15, 2017

loving chairdogs and space jews, man i always forget how deep the weird hole gets with frank herbert

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I also noted how while the entire series is like, Arabian-esque and focused on Space Bedouins who practice Space Islam, how the Bene Tielaxu are sort of coded as "The Bad Kind of Arabs" which rubbed me as a sort of awkward, especially with their pointlessly hosed up lady-vats.

I'd unironically like a chairdog, though.

the lady vats werent actually a thing until the kja/bh books right? i always liked the ambiguity there.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

the lady vats werent actually a thing until the kja/bh books right? i always liked the ambiguity there.

Unless I'm insane and suffering from memory osmosis from the wiki articles I read, I'm fairly certain the lady-vats were a thing in the last two books. I vaguely recall how during the very tenuous alliance the Tielaxu and Bene Gesseret had versus the Honored Matres, that the Tielaxu were trying to get a Reverend Mother to convert into a tank.

Really not sure how that stayed a secret for so long, though. They were the hosed up biotech provider for like, 15,000 years. Just like Ix was the place for high tech gadgets. And Richese was the place for gadgets that were probably pretty cool too but not as good as Ix so nobody cares about them :smith: .

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Nope, the axlotl tanks were a Frank idea. I dunno about the Tleilaxu being coded as Arabs, though. I'm not sure there's a good cultural analogue for them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

Orange Catholic was literally the most ecumenical thing you could think of in 1965, where for most English speakers, I say "religious turmoil" and you say "Ireland" and not "the middle East". The appendix to dune makes it obvious, but Yueh asks Paul to read a Kalima, which is an instructive text in Islam. OC is meant to encompass Christianity, Islam, Hinduism Buddism and other religions.

Herbert was raised a Catholic, iirc, so that makes sense. He'd know that the Catholic Church means the "Universal Church".

Communist Walrus posted:

Nope, the axlotl tanks were a Frank idea. I dunno about the Tleilaxu being coded as Arabs, though. I'm not sure there's a good cultural analogue for them.

They call their religion the "Shariat". However their leader has a Welsh name.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
welp, you guys were right. gross

heretics posted:

"The axlotl tanks! He remembered emerging time after time: bright lights and padded mechanical hands. The hands rotated him and, in the unfocused blurs of the newborn, he saw a great mound of female flesh — monstrous in her almost immobile grossness ... a maze of dark tubes linked her body to giant metal containers".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

welp, you guys were right. gross

the logical conclusion of The Handmaid's Tale

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arven posted:

I'm pretty sure the original book says the whole reason the Harkonnens hate the Atreides is because of a betrayal during a battle during the jihad, so there was for sure some actual fighting.

Not even that. An Atreides called out a Harkonnen for cowardice after the Battle of Corrin (the Imperial House is named for that battle so it must have been huge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Don't forget that the latterday Tleilaxu also swim in a big pond full of semen and jack off together.