Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

chin up everything sucks posted:

Robert Jordan died before finishing the Wheel of Time. Thankfully he picked a really good author to finish it for him.

This is true. Brandon's first book (I think it was 7?) was a little rocky, but he found his footing real fast after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh. This reminds me that we had an interview for a women recently that would be a decent hire and was going to recommend we do so, but she was really really junior, but then I learned the week after we are losing our boss, and I don’t think we are gonna get a backfill so I don’t want to replace a senior person that left with a really really junior person. It sucks.

Edit: we are also in the midst chaos and want to hold off on a backfill for a few months til things get sorted out politically.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Small upside, you found out before you started working for him. Better find it out now over a phone instead of having him drooling all over you when you start working at his place.

edit: Started my Riverbed training this week, if half of the claims in the course are true they have an amazing product.

Lol if you believe vendors ever.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which Riverbed thing are you looking at — SD-WAN, WAN accelerator, something else?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This is true. Brandon's first book (I think it was 7?) was a little rocky, but he found his footing real fast after that.

It was book 11 or 12.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

Which Riverbed thing are you looking at — SD-WAN, WAN accelerator, something else?

This is the basic WAN Optimisation training so all the Steelhead products are in there. We're getting the training because some of our customers have Riverbed products and we need to be able to support them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Iron Rose posted:

well the guy i was getting the job lead from, a friend and personal mentor decided it'd be a great idea to talk about all the erotica he's into via text so now this just isn't going to happen at all because working for a boss twice your age who thinks that's appropriate is just LOL no.

gently caress me i hate being a woman in IT sometimes
This is disgusting. Sorry you had to go through that, especially from someone you knew and trusted.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ew, that's a gross story. Sorry you have to deal with that poo poo.

re: books
I swear if Patrick Rothfuss dies before I get that last book, I will not be far behind him.
Spoiler: the name of the wind is Mary Sue

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ew, that's a gross story. Sorry you have to deal with that poo poo.

re: books
I swear if Patrick Rothfuss dies before I get that last book, I will not be far behind him.

He is never going to finish that series. He took a chapter from RR Martin. You stay more famous, longer if your readers are still waiting on a book from you. Its a weird part of the human condition and it WORKS.

He probably also has enough money now to retire and that really does a number on your work ethic.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am done working with people who see this

quote:

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747
And pick the phone up to ask me why I think they're struggling to connect to a file share.

I'm going to let my phone ring off and ignore the emails for a couple of hours in the hope that this person gives in and just searches Google like I'd do when an error message pops up. It's just laziness at this point.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are these "technical" people that you're dealing with that should otherwise know better?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'm not blowing up on end-users here, these are technical people doing implementation work that are ridiculously lazy (or clever depending on which way you look at it).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hate having to run something up the pole that I could otherwise figure out myself. You're right, they are being lazy.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I am on the opposite side of a similar issue. Who ever manages our jamf install keeps rebooting laptops in the middle of the day with 5 mins warning.

Not cool.

(And none of the domain admins seem to know who manages jamf, making me think it’s these two idiot contractors that service the Macs in some hilarious oversight)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The company that owns the building my company is in contracts me out to do IT work from time to time. On Friday, the owner lent her business laptop (of course full of business critical data with no backup) to one of her employees to work on something near an industrial ice maker. Lo and behold, it fell into a large puddle of water, and no longer turns on. I test it, it doesn't POST, and let them know that I can extract the drive for them. After some discussion, it turns into I will extract the drive for them on Monday. Monday comes, and they tell me they don't see security footage of the laptop falling into the water, and are convinced the person was working in the area the camera is covering. I go into the security camera system, and confirm there is no footage from the time in question (It's motion sensor recording only), and that all the other cameras including others in the area were working properly. They ask me if anyone can delete security footage from the system, as the employee has camera system access as well. I say no.

I never see the laptop and somehow by end of day they are accusing me of deleting video footage in order to cover for their employee. Guess that is the end of working with them on anything :confuoot:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Spent the entire day trying to get verizon to make me the point of contact so I can do admin poo poo because a dude busted his phone while on vacation and needed his line transferred without having his sim card, and the verizon store guy said he needed admin approval.. So after hours of trying to get the guys who are the point of contact to tell verizon to add me we finally get that sorted. Come to find out the dude just had to go to a corporate verizon and theyd do it without any fuss. Call up my boss and come to fins out they did that three hours ago and forgot to call and tell me he fixed it :argh:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 14, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ahh the old “dropped my phone in the lake”

You know summer is here!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

I never see the laptop and somehow by end of day they are accusing me of deleting video footage in order to cover for their employee. Guess that is the end of working with them on anything :confuoot:

Burning Bridges 102: Build Lies into Witch hunts

If they don't trust the employee to where they're looking at security footage to verify her story, why would they assume a lack of footage means you deleted the tape to cover for her and not that she's lying her rear end off? If they trust her and think she's telling the truth, why check the tapes in the first place? What the gently caress kind of logical loop thinking is this?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress kind [...] thinking is this?

Bolded. Found your problem. Dangerous assumption, that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It’s full on panicking.

“Just so you know we won’t go to the police or anything if you say you were just trying to help our employee, we just want to know what happened”

Thanks that’s real reassuring

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Kashuno posted:

It’s full on panicking.

“Just so you know we won’t go to the police or anything if you say you were just trying to help our employee, we just want to know what happened”

Sounds like this deserves a hearty laugh in their face tbh.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sounds like this deserves a hearty talk to my lawyer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, I'd probably get in touch with a lawyer now, get the legwork of finding someone who you can call if it comes to it done now.

Your state bar association probably has a referral service if you have no clue where to start.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

It’s full on panicking.

Even if you don't hire a lawyer, get in contact with one and ask if they're available if things escalate. Then when this company asks you for anything regarding this case, you can tell them "Because you brought up police involvement, communication on this issue will need to go through my lawyer. Would you like their contact information?"

They'll back down and you won't have to pay any money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Seems like a silly thing to contact a lawyer over. What are they going to do? It’s a laptop that their employee accidentally destroyed. Who loving cares. Once they even hinted at you deleting camera footage, tell them that is unacceptable and move on. Save your time and money for things that matter.

If I contacted a lawyer for everything some idiot accused me of I would be broke from consultation fees.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree. You don't need a lawyer at this point. It's useless chest-beating.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not saying to start paying a lawyer, but it wouldn't hurt to know exactly who you need to call if things get hairy.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

This is disgusting. Sorry you had to go through that, especially from someone you knew and trusted.

Spoiler: the name of the wind is Mary Sue

Someone once told me the series is better if you imagine Kvothe as Zapp Brannigan and by god they were right.

Also the song he duets to get his pipes is 100% Meatloaf's "I would do anything for love".

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This is the basic WAN Optimisation training so all the Steelhead products are in there. We're getting the training because some of our customers have Riverbed products and we need to be able to support them.

These are legit good. 85% compression of mission critical traffic has meant a huge performance increase for us.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My company is stingy as hell with internet and we use Riverbeds at all our retail locations. Like splitting public WiFi and merchant transactions and intranet across a couple of connections totaling maybe 3 to 6mb and making it work tolerably. Everything will grind to a halt because of Microsoft updates, but otherwise it's working better than it has any right to.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Get a lawyer.

If you are in a situation where you are unsure whether or not you need a lawyer, and people tell you you don't need a lawyer:

Get two lawyers.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 15, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bob Morales posted:

Ahh the old “dropped my phone in the lake”

You know summer is here!

My dad actually had his Nokia work phone bounce into the lake after we hit a wave. This was like 15 years ago, but I keenly remember him saying "I should just throw this motherfucker into the water, tired of them calling me". Well, the boat took care of it.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

evobatman posted:

Get a lawyer.

If you are in a situation where you are unsure whether or not you need a lawyer, and people tell you you don't need a lawyer:

Get two lawyers.

:trumppop:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can plainly see I'm on the phone watching a loving powerpoint sales pitch.

QUIT STANDING NEXT TO MY SCREEN STARING AT ME LIKE A DOG BEGGING FOR A FRENCH FRY

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

QUIT STANDING NEXT TO MY SCREEN STARING AT ME LIKE A DOG BEGGING FOR A FRENCH FRY

Well, give them a French fry

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

It looks to me like you're posting on a dead gay comedy forum.

I used to have people camp outside my office when I was on the phone and it drove me nuts. I'm on the phone, I can't help you right now, and I'm not going to rush this call just because you're hovering outside my door. Send me an email.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I used to have people camp outside my office when I was on the phone and it drove me nuts. I'm on the phone, I can't help you right now, and I'm not going to rush this call just because you're hovering outside my door. Send me an email.
:cawg:

After about 5 minutes the guy mumbled "I guess I'll just send an email" and left

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I'm the only IT resource available and I'm on the phone I just ask the person if I can put them on hold for a second, tell the person at my door that I'm on a call and unless it's a system down emergency I'll get back to them as soon as I'm done. Seems to work fine for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have this weird culture of interruption here. You could have two people staring at a screen trying to figure something out and someone will just pop their head in there and say HEY THIS EMAIL ON MY PHONE LOOKS WEIRD CAN YOU GUYS LOOK AT IT

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have people constantly come into my office and stare at me while I'm on a call until I get off it, then ask for help with something only for me to direct them to the helpdesk across the hall.

It's stupid

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

If I'm the only IT resource person available

Sorry to get pedantic but I loving hate the term “resource” when referring to employees. Not that we are special snowflakes but the term resource implies some kind of nameless fungible asset. We bitch in these threads about how “if it has a cord it’s ITs’ problem” and calling ourselves resources does nothing to dissuade that.

IT person
IT knowledge expert
IT employee
Subject matter expert
Guru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My employer loves surveys. Today we got one with a lot of hard hitting questions. Questions that if you were candid at all would not be good for you. Every person in the company got a unique link to take the survey.

The survey is completely confidential! :allbuttons: