Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

VJeff posted:

Also just lmao that the only conceivable defense for Jinder at this point is that he's effective as a heel because everybody hates him and then he goes and gets cheered against Roman.

Smallpox would get cheered against Roman. Thanos would get cheered against Roman. Put Roman Reigns out there against Hitler duct taped to Stalin and you would get "Let's go Roman/Roman Sucks" chants, at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's only one heel powerful enough to get Roman over.

Hunter, get me X-Pac.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The funniest poo poo is Jinder is legit an objectively worst worker than Roman, but Roman is so loving unlikeable people will still boo him over Jinder.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

VJeff posted:

Also just lmao that the only conceivable defense for Jinder at this point is that he's effective as a heel because everybody hates him and then he goes and gets cheered against Roman.

Apparently the big spear through a wall spot got 0 reaction live

I can't wait for the blowdryers to be edited in on the taped version

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

The funniest poo poo is Jinder is legit an objectively worst worker than Roman, but Roman is so loving unlikeable people will still boo him over Jinder.

Worse by orders of magnitude no less.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That joke spot is probably like 90% of the reason to put her in a ladder match.

(The other 10% is she seems to be okay with jumping off high stuff and is easy to catch.)

Bossman's gonna raise the case when Alexa goes for the win

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Roman can't even get cheered over the oldest heat standby in the business: hostile to crowd, unlikable foreign heel. Is Vince getting some opposite-day alternate dimension feed or something?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Fans only had one year of Jinder shoved down their throat

Currently in year 5 of Reigns, no sign of it being the final one either

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Very true. Jinder does suck a lot harder though.

Also didn't Dave at least kinda sorta infer Vince does see how bad it is and while he isn't pivoting he really is pulling out all the stops (in his mind) to fix it (he won't)?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 15, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Roman can't even get cheered over the oldest heat standby in the business: hostile to crowd, unlikable foreign heel. Is Vince getting some opposite-day alternate dimension feed or something?

vince doesn't care about crowd reactions, what he cares about is that the people booing roman reigns still bought a ticket to be there

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh I agree and am not a fan of Roman at all, but Jinder is straight trash in every aspect.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

vince doesn't care about crowd reactions, what he cares about is that the people booing roman reigns still bought a ticket to be there

He doesn't care about that either. He only cares if he gets long contracts so he can make lazy tv and still get paid a lot of money.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yeah but...Vince is famous for telling people “pick your hill to die on.” So what is it about Roman that he is the hill Vince is choosing to die on?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

The_Rob posted:

He doesn't care about that either. He only cares if he gets long contracts so he can make lazy tv and still get paid a lot of money.

yeah, that too. WWE could probably run Raw and Smackdown in empty arenas and still make a profit with that ridiculous TV contract

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The_Rob posted:

Its going to make me so mad when they get more money for the next rights deal

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Question for people that have any clue how tv works:

Suppose WWE ratings tank to like 0.1 or something. And Hulu gets data that no one downloads or streams the WWE shows. Can Fox/USA/whomever get out of the contract then?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Did wwe just get such crazy contracts because it's 3 hours of tv the networks don't have to fill with reruns?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

AFAIK Jinder's the only one to tap to the calf crusher on PPV, which ended his reign of terror. What chump finisher would you end the Reigns experiment with? Dolph superkick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fart blood posted:

Suppose WWE ratings tank to like 0.1 or something. And Hulu gets data that no one downloads or streams the WWE shows. Can Fox/USA/whomever get out of the contract then?

Not normally but the contract could have an out clause.

The_Rob posted:

Did wwe just get such crazy contracts because it's 3 hours of tv the networks don't have to fill with reruns?

Basically. USA wanted the 3rd hour.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

AFAIK Jinder's the only one to tap to the calf crusher on PPV, which ended his reign of terror. What chump finisher would you end the Reigns experiment with? Dolph superkick?

The overdrive

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

For better or for worse they get pretty consistent high ratings even for the taped shows like this. Tonight's show will get at least 2.5 mil viewers, which most stations would kill for any day, let alone on a Monday night. The issue has just always been most stations don't want wrestling, and advertisers are skeptical about being associated with pretty much anything that isn't super-established like WWE

In terms of the 3 hours, USA requested that, WWE didn't want it, and it's doubtful any other station does (Fox specifically doesn't)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

I'm sure there could be some kinda buyout but I doubt they could just void the contract. That's literally why WCW people got paid for years after it was dead by AOL/Time Warner just sitting on their couches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Whatever Heath Slater's finisher is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's some sort of neckbreaker variant

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Endless Mike posted:

Though honestly he's actually had like nine finishers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyTf3kXBFA

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

Though honestly he's actually had like nine finishers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyTf3kXBFA

LOL a slingblade-ish? Really?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I the only one who actually finds this funny? Like legitimately?

No I legit just burst out laughing and quoted this to say such

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

LOL a slingblade-ish? Really?

Tbf I think this was before Slingblades proper were being used as a common move.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

No I legit just burst out laughing and quoted this to say such

And I don't mean in an LOLWWE way, I mean that CONCEPTUALLY that is a really loving funny thing for a heel to do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm sure there could be some kinda buyout but I doubt they could just void the contract. That's literally why WCW people got paid for years after it was dead by AOL/Time Warner just sitting on their couches.

IIRC, that’s because the network and talent contracts were under the same corporate umbrella.

If USA cancelled Raw, WWE would be on the hook to honor downsides, not the network.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And I don't mean in an LOLWWE way, I mean that CONCEPTUALLY that is a really loving funny thing for a heel to do.

Exactly. It's amazing and I love everything about it. Not only is it pure beautiful heeling in the "CM Punk pouring the ashes over himself and reveling in it while even Paul Heyman isn't necessarily approving" way, but it's a smart, funny, and good reaction to the general reaction to the promo package last week.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC, that’s because the network and talent contracts were under the same corporate umbrella.

If USA cancelled Raw, WWE would be on the hook to honor downsides, not the network.

Oh well then I'm hilariously wrong but USA isn't going to cancel Raw and even if they did they'd easily find a new home unlike, say, TNA. Because we laugh at the ratings but as CJ2 said they're still really loving good and consistent for cable.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
isnt wwe pulling an insane amount of money in

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

isnt wwe pulling an insane amount of money in

Yes but a ton of that is tied into the TV money. Now that said I genuinely believe they'll take a hit on the next contract but it won't snow them under, especially with the KSA blood money.

Bottom line is I expect them to make less money on the next deal but still good money.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes but a ton of that is tied into the TV money. Now that said I genuinely believe they'll take a hit on the next contract but it won't snow them under, especially with the KSA blood money.

Bottom line is I expect them to make less money on the next deal but still good money.

Uh Foochs. I hate to break it to you, but its looking REALLY likely WWE is going to be making MORE money off of their next contract (which we will probably find out about soon). FOX and NBC both really want WWE on their lineup. And UFC didn't sign with FOX, which is likely going to make them even more desperate. While WWE's ratings are lower, FOX and NBC are looking at content to fill out their network as their primary front, especially with more people cutting the cord these days. To the point of where FOX has offered to put RAW on their primary channel during primetime and Fox Sports 1 (For Smackdown). There was even talk for a little while about NXT being put on Fox Sports 2, but that's since died down. And FOX's primary channel offers significantly more eyeballs than USA Network.

We'll see I guess. WWE was at an NBC related event today, so maybe they signed a new deal with NBC and plan to remain on USA Network. We'll see I guess.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 15, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean I don't want WWE to die unlike many people here (I'm not casting aspersions, I fully acknowledge WWE is gross in many facets but the company has indirectly helped me through bad times and still does) so that's not really bad news to me.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Jinder makes a lot more sense when you realize that Jinder's ascendancy, title run and post-title usage has been beat for beat the JBL glide path but substitute abusing people backstage and casual American racism with massive PED usage and casual worldwide racism

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Uh Foochs. I hate to break it to you, but its looking REALLY likely WWE is going to be making MORE money off of their next contract (which we will probably find out about soon). FOX and NBC both really want WWE on their lineup. And UFC didn't sign with FOX, which is likely going to make them even more desperate. While WWE's ratings are lower, FOX and NBC are looking at content to fill out their network as their primary front, especially with more people cutting the cord these days. To the point of where FOX has offered to put RAW on their primary channel during primetime and Fox Sports 1 (For Smackdown). There was even talk for a little while about NXT being put on Fox Sports 2, but that's since died down. And FOX's primary channel offers significantly more eyeballs than USA Network.

We'll see I guess. WWE was at an NBC related event today, so maybe they signed a new deal with NBC and plan to remain on USA Network. We'll see I guess.

I thought UFC got a split deal with Fox and Disney? A bunch of Fight Pass content going to the ESPN app and they get more coverage on Sportscenter because you can buy PPVs from the app but Fox keeps airing the Fight Nights it was doing

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Gaz-L posted:

I thought UFC got a split deal with Fox and Disney? A bunch of Fight Pass content going to the ESPN app and they get more coverage on Sportscenter because you can buy PPVs from the app but Fox keeps airing the Fight Nights it was doing

I see they put in a bid but no deal yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only thing UFC has signed is a deal to provide ESPN's app with 15 shows.

What else they end up signing is anybody's guess.