Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gourdcaptain posted:

Well, yeah, it's not like he spoiled Infinity War, the ultimate crime. -_-

It's important he be allowed to condemn himself, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Pinnacle's response to this: https://www.pegforum.com/forum/main-forum/9095-savage-rifts%C2%AE-changes-in-duties

quote:

Given Sean's many projects for Evil Beagle and the need to respond appropriately to allegations of harassment made on ENWorld, Sean has stepped down as Savage Rifts® Brand Manager. He will continue to edit the rules sections he's been so integral to and the rest of the team is carrying on and consulting with Sean as needed.

Sean has been a personal friend of ours for a long time and we hope for positive and useful progress for all involved.
...so uh, still keeping him on as editor, I see. -_-

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Kevin Spacey can't act anymore, but he can still executive produce.

Darn it, Pinnacle.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

So Kevin Spacey can't act anymore, but he can still executive produce.

Darn it, Pinnacle.

*sigh* Time to add Pinnacle to my list of TRPG companies I won't buy from (a decision I'd made as soon as I saw their post). An increasingly depressingly long list.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

Pinnacle's response to this: https://www.pegforum.com/forum/main-forum/9095-savage-rifts%C2%AE-changes-in-duties

...so uh, still keeping him on as editor, I see. -_-

More than that, it sounds like he voluntarily removed himself only from that position. They flat-out say that they're gonna go to him whenever they think they 'need' to, so it really looks as if they're removing a paper title but keeping him on the drat payroll.

edit: Also looking at it again the topic is just 'Changes in Duties' too which is even more hilariously mealy-mouthed. Dude's not (publicly) Brand Manager anymore, that's it.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 2, 2018

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Darwinism posted:

More than that, it sounds like he voluntarily removed himself only from that position. They flat-out say that they're gonna go to him whenever they think they 'need' to, so it really looks as if they're removing a paper title but keeping him on the drat payroll.

Christ, how is it that even in this case where the guy goddamn convicted himself more or less can they just do this poo poo? I mean, I know why, good old boys club and all that, it's just frustrating to see.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Thread got reopened, no sign of Sean being banned.

He's banned for a week now, maybe more pending further discussion.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

What the living hell is wrong with this industry?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ratoslov posted:

What the living hell is wrong with this industry?

This industry? More like this planet in general.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

It's not really an industry.
It's a hobby ran by narcissistic failed authors.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Oh crap. I apologize - I had no idea it was in there. I didn't read the whole thing because ... well ... look at it.

No worries, it wasn't redacted when you posted anyway!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Larry Correia was a guest of honor for Origins, then uninvited a few hours later after a bunch of folks emailed to complain. The head of the con said he had had no idea about Correia’s politics and awfulness.

I actually believe this, mainly because Origins is consistently a mess on the management end, year after year, and are legit so incompetent at times that I can accept them living under rocks in sci fi/fantasy fandom.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm kind of under the same rock in regards to him- can I get a breakdown of what he's done, especially besides Sad Puppies?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kavak posted:

I'm kind of under the same rock in regards to him- can I get a breakdown of what he's done, especially besides Sad Puppies?

he's just generally a terrible rear end in a top hat who thinks the evil minorities are destroying art with their censoring ideas like 'maybe stop being so sexist and racist' and constantly brumbles about those daggum snowflakes and all.

Yea I fully believe Origins when they say 'oh poo poo we didn't know', though, they're constantly in a state of scramble so I'd believe they let a dipshit with a lot of industry cred (formerly) behind him slide.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Larry Correia is a gun nut, a big fan of racist and sexist tropes, and the kind of guy who says stuff like "Police are awesome. I love working with cops," "Orlando is yet another example that Gun Free Zones are vile, stupid ideas," "Hillary [is] a liar and a cheat, and she’d sell your children’s organs to Russian mobsters to make five bucks," "None of the groups I identify with are the type to flip out and hold protests (mostly because all of them tend to vote Republican, and we have jobs)," and "I can watch my people be bad guys on a TV show and not get my panties in a twist."

(I'm sure he's said worse, I just feel too gross to keep reading.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's a Let's Read of the first book in his series "Monster Hunter International" going on right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853527

It's no "Oh John Ringo No", but it's bad and it has bad politics, plus there's some discussion of Correia's extracurricular assholery along the way.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember. Is he the one who wrote a critic in as a pedophile?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bieeanshee posted:

I can't remember. Is he the one who wrote a critic in as a pedophile?

You may be thinking of Michael Crichton.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Got an email from Patreon today that I'm not sure how to react to:

Patreon posted:

Vincent Baker just became a patron of Holden Shearer

I mean I guess I'm feeling disappointed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

inklesspen posted:

Got an email from Patreon today that I'm not sure how to react to:

I mean I guess I'm feeling disappointed.

Boo.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Does Baker even have any significant projects in the works? I guess there was that PbtA dark fantasy hack (whatever was the title) which kinda got put on hold, and there was a small-ish Firebrands book last year, but is there anything major?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
He just ran https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/226674021/the-king-is-dead-a-roleplaying-party-game which finished successfully - I've played the Patreon version and it was pretty sweet but I forgot to back the KS.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You Know Who behind the D&D Und Adult Entertainment Stars went on an interesting little tirade on Twitter:

"Satine Phoenix being at WOTC means there are literally more queer women of color in mainstream D&D than in the all the Loudly Woke Indie Game RPG companies put together"

"Or even Women of Color.
Or possibly even just women."

"Some Satine Phoenix facts:
-She is responsible for the Google+ RPG community--she was the first RPG person to notice G+ had free multiperson vidchat
-She annually organized celeb D&D events for local charities for YEARS
-in 2009, She wanted to play D&D-that's why D&Dw/PS exists"

First, a moment of silence for the term 'woke.' Thoroughly and ridiculously appropriated in perhaps record time.

While I have no opinion one way or another about Phoenix it is impressive that he's is able to turn the importance of representation into a bingo game. I mean, really. :discourse: I have no idea what 'loudly woke' companies he's claiming have less representation that WotC but I will assume it's the 'ones he doesn't like' so all of them. Naturally he has to double down into sheer hyperbole.

The claim of 'responsible for the Google+ RPG community' is interesting. Did things really spread like wildfire when it was heard she was using Google+? I genuinely don't know. I mean, I know it took off but I don't know what kicked it off.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dawgstar posted:

"Satine Phoenix being at WOTC means there are literally more queer women of color in mainstream D&D than in the all the Loudly Woke Indie Game RPG companies put together"

Yeah because he chased away all the other ones by being a damaged rear end in a top hat.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dawgstar posted:

You Know Who behind the D&D Und Adult Entertainment Stars went on an interesting little tirade on Twitter:

Twitter, Reddit and Google+: The only places he's able to 'engage' are coincidentally the ones with no effective moderation, and even on reddit he mostly gets downvoted to vanishing to the bottom of the thread/page/thing.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
So I'm not 100% on the history, but I've been on G+ since the beginning and what really turned it into an RPG space in my experience was when Sage LaTorra - Dungeon World author and google employee - shared his tabletop RPG circle and got everyone to add themselves into it, way back in July 2014. Though whether Satine was instrumental there or not, she has nothing to do with the matter at hand, which is that Zak is an rear end in a top hat using his friends as a weapon to fight his culture war.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"My black friend is more inclusive than everyone else's black friend. And also gay, and invented talking about nerd games on G+."
- some rear end in a top hat in 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Everytime I see someone talking about what [name asshat of the week] posted on ENWorld, I just read it as E/N World and that's all the context I need for understanding their rants.

Dawgstar posted:

While I have no opinion one way or another about Phoenix it is impressive that he's is able to turn the importance of representation into a bingo game.

He sounds like a perfect fit for Paizo, given that Representation Bingo is the game they play to create NPCs in order to give the appearance of representation without actually engaging in representation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't the transgender dwarf character transition by having their god just magic them into a woman?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Didn't the transgender dwarf character transition by having their god just magic them into a woman?

I know one transgender character did so with a Belt of Change Gender. I think she's a paladin?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In theory, I see nothing wrong with that approach, but I also know quite a few trans people who prefer to have the difficulties remain a factor in their characters.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Paizo also introduced an alchemical treatment that's basically hormone therapy that you take over a series of weeks/months to transition for folks who can't afford magic one-shot belts, for exactly that reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Perhaps also a monster that harasses you out of your class while pretending he's an ally.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Loomer posted:

In theory, I see nothing wrong with that approach, but I also know quite a few trans people who prefer to have the difficulties remain a factor in their characters.

Huh, I figured players would be more interested in escaping those difficulties than roleplaying them, but I can get why they'd want to roleplay the transition with more realism. Seems like a nightmare to tackle as a GM, though

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

TheChirurgeon posted:

Huh, I figured players would be more interested in escaping those difficulties than roleplaying them, but I can get why they'd want to roleplay the transition with more realism. Seems like a nightmare to tackle as a GM, though

The two whose reasons I know are that getting into the mindset of someone who doesn't have hormone supplements, some anatomical disparities, etc, makes for a really jarring comedown later. So they'd love to be able to, but find it easier to deal with the same day to day reminders as usual than the heavy hit afterwards. It can definitely be tricky territory to work in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's more that while they as players would like to escape the difficulties, they want to see their struggle reflected in the media they consume.

There's also the fact that "Belt of Gender Change" is a cursed item.
e: Uhh, actually

quote:

Girdle of Opposite Gender

Source: PZO1115

Aura moderate transmutation; CL 10th

Slot belt; Weight 1 lb.

DESCRIPTION

When this magical belt is put on, the wearer must immediately make a DC 20 Fortitude saving throw or be transformed into a person of the opposite gender. The character’s abilities, mind, and spirit remain unaffected; only the character’s sex changes. If the character’s saving throw is a natural 1, the item actually removes all gender from the wearer, giving him an androgynous, neutered appearance. The change is permanent unless undone with curse-removing magic. Once its magic takes effect, the belt can be removed without effort. A creature can only be affected by a particular girdle once, though other girdles of this type can cause another transformation.
Paizo what the gently caress.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 17, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leave if to Paizo to make me need to slam my palm into my forehead even harder than I thought I needed to.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kurieg posted:

It's more that while they as players would like to escape the difficulties, they want to see their struggle reflected in the media they consume.

There's also the fact that "Belt of Gender Change" is a cursed item.
e: Uhh, actually

Paizo what the gently caress.

I'm pretty sure that's a holdover from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, i.e. Paizo cargo culting. That bad rule has been around forever. But why you would you enforce that as a GM if you knew why your player was trying to get the belt?

Loomer posted:

The two whose reasons I know are that getting into the mindset of someone who doesn't have hormone supplements, some anatomical disparities, etc, makes for a really jarring comedown later. So they'd love to be able to, but find it easier to deal with the same day to day reminders as usual than the heavy hit afterwards. It can definitely be tricky territory to work in.

Fair enough. That's a very good point. I think that as a GM, I'd probably struggle with the "how much is too much?" problem of the difficulties, and would probably prefer to go as light a touch as possible, whether it be on social challenges or physical change minutiae.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Starfinder has a potion for gender change, but for some reason it's gated as a Level 2 item. Which technically you can buy at Level 1, but not in every locale, so I guess it's up to your GM as to whether or not you can pick it up at Level 1? Starfinder has a lot of weird, arbitrary equipment decisions. However, a serum that lets you change your ethnicity or hair color or vague cosmetic changes is Level 1.

This is what passes for game design in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity from AD&D didn't have the natural 1 neuters you caveat. It just mentioned that the remove gender belt was an uncommon variant of the one that swapped you. So this is a new adaptation original to Paizo.