Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Utena: The Anime Where You Jumped Up And Down Screaming At Your TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Disney Afternoon had some real gems. It's no surprise that some of those teams went on to make Gargoyles and the DCAU.

Also kind of mind-boggling how the DCAU laid out a perfect, near twenty-year template for what the DCCU should do, and then just all the way didn't do it because they put a guy in charge who literally doesn't believe in heroism.

But, yeah, I feel like Steven being a diamond and Pearl technically being his pearl will be addressed one way or another.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Greg Universe parachute account spotted

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Caidin posted:

It's sort of a weird situation because I feel like they've made it slightly questionable exactly much of Pearls Rose fixation is hardwired and how much is of her own will. Like if Steven broke the compulsion effect here is that just a nice thing he's doing and they move on or does this do something dramatic to Pearls mental state?

Like, more dramatic then the usual things anyway.

Apparently they'll be going more into Pearl's motivations, but from Joe Johnston's Tumblr (discussion of Pearl's agency re: pink that might be minor spoilers, I guess):

hi joe! quick q, did Pink have a power over gems that binds their free will? i ask because of how Pearl obviously cannot physically speak of the past

This is more a function of how Pearls work. Since they are specially made for their owners, they are duty bound or I guess “programed” to follow the orders of their masters.

I think also this was a secret that, for a while, Pearl was extremely proud to keep.

So, wait, did Pearl ever actually choose to rebel? Has she only been "free" since Steven was born? I'm a little confused, and a lot of people are worried about and unsettled by the possibility that she never had a choice, if she could have been ordered to go along with it.

At the end of ‘Single Pale Rose’ you see Pearl and Rose discussing together the action they’re about to take. Its a decision that they’re making together. Rose is not ordering to do this as a servant, but asking her as a comrade and a friend.

More to come in future episodes…

Sir, but how do we know everything Pearl did for Rose wasn't just that Pearl-caste-programming kicking in because in truth, Pearl knew Rose was infact her Diamond. Sure Pearl had feelings for her, but how do we know whether or not the servant mentality still didnt play a role in Pearl's allegiance with Rose.

I’ll put it this way, if Pink Diamond we’re to say “Pearl, I ORDER you to do such and such…” because she’s her Pearl, she would have to do it. Of course her servant mentality played a role in her allegiance to Rose, how could it not. BUT, that relationship clearly grew and changed as naturally as any relationship will, and it wasn’t due to Pink Diamonds powers or influence.

Have no fear, Pearl is her own gem and wasn’t being puppet controlled by Pink/Rose her whole life. It’s not mind control.

More on this in future episodes!

So we know that Rose is able to order Pearl around if Rose so chooses to (and that Pearl only has to obey her IF Rose orders her to). I just want to know if Pearl is the only one Rose is capable of ordering around in that way (forcing someone to do something). Is it part of her being a Diamond, or does it only apply to Pearl?

It only applies to Pearl.

BECAUSE our Pearl was made for Pink Diamond, she must follow her orders.

Rose did not have this power or control over anyone else, and its ONLY because Pearl was made for her that Pink/Rose had this power over her.

Pink is a Diamond, she could order around lots of gems, but they follow because of hierarchy, not because the Diamonds are mind controlling them.

Is this making sense? I’m try to clear this up for everybody, but people still seem confused.

Also, have an early YD.

Kinda sad we lost the DRAMATIC BILLOWING CLOAK.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 15, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

white diamond better have a dramatic billowing cloak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's a lovely YD, I like the POWERHOUSE YD we got.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah, the YD design we got is way better for her character, all rigid and stern

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Utena: The Anime Where You Jumped Up And Down Screaming At Your TV

Utena: "That is NOT where I expected this to go" the animated series.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I hope WD is like Ragyo

Except far less disappointing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Turns out she's just like Ringo.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And Greg's advice boils down to "everyone needs to be alone sometimes" "it's good to say the truth" and "what matters is [values] and Nobody Getting Arrested".

Let's all laugh at this foolish goon who does not recognize "sick air guitar riff" as solid life advice. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

That's a lovely YD, I like the POWERHOUSE YD we got.

Oh yeah overall the gently caress-you cutthroat CEO Yellow is better. I'm just a sucker for a good billow.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 15, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delete

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah overall the gently caress-you cutthroat CEO Yellow is better.

Yellow Diamond is essentially Kate Beaton's 1980s Businesswoman.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=297

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Yellow Diamond is essentially Kate Beaton's 1980s Businesswoman.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=297

Paint her in yellow and that's almost entirely accurate. She even has Yellow Pearl as a snotty secretary and treats her subordinates like employees. (Badly.) And she even seems to be the most enthusiastic about expanding the Gempire and efficiently converting planets into Gem colonies even as Homeworld suffers shortages, a pretty easy analogue for relentless capitalism.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
With WD I'd actually think a really cool twist would be if she is much more maternal than Yellow and Blue and sees Steven as Pink and therefore becomes an almost unhinged sympathetic villain in that she tries to keep him on Homeworld and from ever going back home because she couldn't bear to lose Pink again.

She only truly gets scary/dangerous when she basically says 'Well if there is no earth to go back to he can't leave sooooooo'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
IMHO the real standout mystery is when Peridot said the Gems were "designed" to invade worlds, and it's implied she means Gemkind. I think their distaste for "organics" goes further than their wee beef with Earth.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pick posted:

IMHO the real standout mystery is when Peridot said the Gems were "designed" to invade worlds, and it's implied she means Gemkind. I think their distaste for "organics" goes further than their wee beef with Earth.

Now that the Pink murder mystery is solved, the next big question is "Who made the Gems, and why?"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Madurai posted:

Now that the Pink murder mystery is solved, the next big question is "Who made the Gems, and why?"

Is that a mystery? I don't think who made the Vulcans or the Wookiees is a mystery. They're just aliens, right?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pick posted:

Of course maybe it’s a Ms Doubtfire thing and there was never a Rose Quartz. They’re thought to have interacted but we don’t see it. Then pearl kills the Cool Urkle.

I just caught up with the last 2 bombs and also the thread and uh... Good job!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think it's a little different. Organic alien life likely originated in the same way as earth through millions of years of evolution. Gems spring out of the earth as adults and are totally unchanging after being engineered by other Gems. I think "who made the first ones" to be a decent question especially when it seems like Pink Diamond got made later than the others. I don't think that question will really be answered unless it's somehow plot significant and at this point it kinda isn't.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Unmature posted:

Is that a mystery? I don't think who made the Vulcans or the Wookiees is a mystery. They're just aliens, right?

They're more like von Neumann machines.

edit:

Radish posted:

I think it's a little different. Organic alien life likely originated in the same way as earth through millions of years of evolution. Gems spring out of the earth as adults and are totally unchanging after being engineered by other Gems. I think "who made the first ones" to be a decent question especially when it seems like Pink Diamond got made later than the others. I don't think that question will really be answered unless it's somehow plot significant and at this point it kinda isn't.

You're probably right. We can probably hope for "So what's White Diamond's deal, anyway?"

Madurai fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 15, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh come on.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ok that one is good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah alright, I'll pay that one.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

My prediction is that White Diamond is the first gem and the progenitor of all gems, and therefore in true anime JRPG fashion this series will end with Steven killing God. By which I mean, befriending God.

Motivational Subwoofer
Jun 30, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope White Diamond is actually Pavé Diamond, i.e. a stack of teensy diamonds wearing a trench coat :3:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

you're already friends

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

misadventurous posted:

My prediction is that White Diamond is the first gem and the progenitor of all gems, and therefore in true anime JRPG fashion this series will end with Steven Greg killing God. By which I mean, befriending loving God and creating a new little sister for Steven who he'll name "Nora".

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Cookie Cat! He's a pet for your tummy!
Cookie Cat! He's super duper yummy!
Cookie Cat! He left his family behind!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moriatti posted:

I just caught up with the last 2 bombs and also the thread and uh... Good job!

:c00l:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I never considered that Cookie Cat might be evil.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Rassle posted:

Cookie Cat! He's a pet for your tummy!
Cookie Cat! He's super duper yummy!
Cookie Cat! He left his family behind!

Steven already figured that out!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Madurai posted:

Snake people.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That rules, where's that from?

\/ you son of a bitch

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RandomFerret posted:

That rules, where's that from?

It's from Steven Universe my friend :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Unmature posted:

See the funny thing about that is, nobody was asking who made either of them, but both of those have wound up getting their creators revealed in the extended material.

I guess it's possible that gems just developed out of weird naturally occurring rocks and minerals on celestial bodies with their own higher concentrations of that nebulous life-force on them, but if that's the case, I'd expect to see like a whole gem ecosystem with a bunch of related species of rock-creatures, instead of just a mostly homogenous bunch of multicolored magical humanoids. Unless it's possible that some of the corrupted gems and gems powering devices are genuinely alternate, non-sentient species, I don't think we've seen clear evidence of that.

Of course, defining taxonomic seperation between species with creatures that don't have DNA, don't sexually reproduce, and are mostly composed of a weird magical illusion that be hacked and rewritten is weird and complicated.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

See the funny thing about that is, nobody was asking who made either of them, but both of those have wound up getting their creators revealed in the extended material.

I even second guessed my choices of aliens there because I knew that would be the case. Shoulda chosen a franchise that doesn't have forty years of extended universe novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's definitely going to be the same origin as Transformers