Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

yeah same, ive had a few die prolly bcause i also get high cri ones and stuff after a couple of years but otherwise most running good

i just buy halogens

they're inexpensive, they last 2x as long as a regular bulb, and the quality of the light is worlds better than "high cri" led poo poo

the only downside to a halogen bulb vis a vis incandescent is that it's a point source, so you don't want to have a bare bulb unless it's a flood light / can light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
halogens get pretty loving hot tho, and im a dumbass that tends to leave lights on overnight so its nice having something thats <10 watts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

halogens get pretty loving hot tho, and im a dumbass that tends to leave lights on overnight so its nice having something thats <10 watts

i'm not a broke rear end college student so i am happy to spend an extra ten dollars or whatever on electricity in exchange for having Actually Good lighting in my home

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol if you dont illuminate your home with cherenkov radiation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

lol if you dont illuminate your home with cherenkov radiation

pros: cool cyberpunk aesthetic, fun toys
cons: poor cri

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Roosevelt posted:

see also: the tiny house fad

"tiny houses" are massively expensive bullshit with all sorts of expensive custom bullshit and appliances. nothing to do with saving money

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my power company is so desperate to push back the timeline of the new substation they need to build that they are literally sending people door-to-door with sacks of LED bulbs to do on-the-spot trade-ins for incandescents.

They’ll also give you a free WiFi Switch for your AC so that if they are having capacity issues they can text you going ‘please please please turn off your window unit we might have a brownout’

On the other hand, there was a separate deal last fall where they would throw a massive rebate at you to bring the cost of a Nissan Leaf down to $11k. The only thing stopping me from taking advantage of it was the fact that I found out about it on the last day and I couldn’t cash out that much stock on that short notice.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

"tiny houses" are massively expensive bullshit with all sorts of expensive custom bullshit and appliances. nothing to do with saving money

shockingly the main cost in housing turns out not to be construction materials

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cons: poor cri

lol. can this be the new knobfeel?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Roosevelt posted:

see also: the tiny house fad

fishmech posted:

i was pretty sure the tiny house thing was about baby boomer consumerists trying to 'live deliberately' while the last of their soul dies

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
tiny houses are trailer homes designed for Instagram. It’s telling that the industry specifically shifted away from building Tiny Homes without wheels 4 years ago.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

misread that as “tiny house fyad”

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-driver-says-autopilot-was-on-before-crash-1826022381

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

let me guess, they were having issues with false positives so they trained their cars to ignore large, brightly colored truck-shaped things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unreal engine 4 doesn't have a stock model for that kind of fire truck

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my favorite bit are the comments that say "Tesla never said autopilot drives with the hands off the wheel!"

yeah, clearly they've never done th--

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pretty good: still alive after driving a sedan into the back of a fire truck at 60mph

pretty bad: your sedan drove itself into the back of a fire truck at 60mph without even attempting to brake

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 15, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ho-lee gently caress. how has the ftc not come down on them like a ton of bricks for advertising complete bullshit like that?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, ok, the driver was looking down at their phone, but the loving robot car drove into the back of a huge, colorful truck.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

President Beep posted:

yeah, ok, the driver was looking down at their phone, but the loving robot car drove into the back of a huge, colorful truck.

hmm seems like the robot cat failed the test wrap this one up boys

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

syntaxrigger posted:

i was pretty sure the tiny house thing was about baby boomer consumerists trying to 'live deliberately' while the last of their soul dies

lol no its their kids wanting to have quirky backgrounds for a while before they get a real place, and general young-ish people who want to conspicuously "downsize"

old people 'living deliberately' are moving into "Active Adult" communities full of houses with about the space of a generous sized apartment and a small yard because they want to pretend they shouldnt just be in a nursing home tower

Jimmy Carter posted:

tiny houses are trailer homes designed for Instagram. It’s telling that the industry specifically shifted away from building Tiny Homes without wheels 4 years ago.

well part of the wheels thing was that you could skirt some permit issues that might crop up if they were on wheels, in many places.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

hmm seems like the robot cat failed the test wrap this one up boys

if by “wrap this one up” you mean “don’t let these operate on public roads yet” then i agree.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

President Beep posted:

lol. can this be the new knobfeel?

I have not set foot in a grocery store in years. Nevermore will I bumble through endless confusing aisles like a pack-donkey searching for feed while the smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils and fluorescent lights sear my eyeballs and sappy love songs torture my ears. Grocery shopping is a multisensory living nightmare. There are services that will make someone else do it for me but I cannot in good conscience force a fellow soul through this gauntlet.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Xaris posted:

i asked my landlord to replace them since like 4 out of 10 were dead and she was like "nope u fix them ur responsibility" even though they were there when I moved in...

So I just swapped them out with ones in the hallway around the building because lmao gently caress that

ahahahahah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

bees are good

tune

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

huh that's actually worse than I remembered

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

ho-lee gently caress. how has the ftc not come down on them like a ton of bricks for advertising complete bullshit like that?

their marketing there and in other places has always been that it comes with the hardware, but we still have to figure out the software of how to make 8 cameras into strong AI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, but patently, the hardware does not do that without the software, which doesn't exist, so how could that be a truthful or even truthy statement?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it could be full self driving hardware, whatever that means, but since there's no such thing as a self driving car that's a rather deceptive statement

"full self driving capability at a level substantially safer than a human driver" is a very clear declarative statement about the capability of the product. capability that does not by any stretch of the imagination actually exist at this time.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2018

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
who cares trump's president hail satan drink piss buy tesla

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the quality of the light

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/996131586469842945

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/996132429772410882

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:thunk:

:thunk: :thunk:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

people die of natural causes every day and here’s this news story about a school shooter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what's actually amazing is that a vehicle capable of driving itself into the back of a fire truck at 60mph without human intervention is allowed on the road at all

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
just say Fake News grimes bf

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

what's actually amazing is that a vehicle capable of driving itself into the back of a fire truck at 60mph without human intervention is allowed on the road at all

I don't understand why computers aren't held to the same level of fallibility as people. They are BOTH DRIVING CARS.
- a stupid person

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

it could be full self driving hardware, whatever that means, but since there's no such thing as a self driving car that's a rather deceptive statement

"full self driving capability at a level substantially safer than a human driver" is a very clear declarative statement about the capability of the product. capability that does not by any stretch of the imagination actually exist at this time.

all current cars are equipped with the hardware to be driven by a ghost, a feature discovered by bay area entrepreneur Mistah F.A.B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i hope these bees pollinate the plants on my balcony