Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The way I read it, the three-person crew adventures with the party in the Mastermind's stead. Or if the Mastermind comes along, the crew stays home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^it's that. You can send along a party of some lower level goons or you can go yourself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Mastermind seems suited for a game where you only have 2-3 PCs or something. Otherwise, the entire "you have a team of agents" thing either needs to be far more abstracted or needs to be segmented off into its own subsystem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My 3 agents are large quadraped clockwork, size 1 normal clockwork, and tiny flying clockwork. They're all very fussy and will only attack animal, vegetable, or mineral respectively.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Every living being in the universe is actually the pawn of some mastermind or another, most of them just don't know it. When you take the mastermind expert path, you terminate that agreement, taking the reins yourself...but watch out. Someone out there is now pissed that you've left their service, and they're twice your level.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Every living being in the universe is actually the pawn of some mastermind or another, most of them just don't know it. When you take the mastermind expert path, you terminate that agreement, taking the reins yourself...but watch out. Someone out there is now pissed that you've left their service, and they're twice your level.

How many D&D 2nd Edition Druids was it that needed to die in order to create 1 20th level Druid?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

My 3 agents are large quadraped clockwork, size 1 normal clockwork, and tiny flying clockwork. They're all very fussy and will only attack animal, vegetable, or mineral respectively.

The three goblin Agents *are* the Mastermind, the main character is just them stacked on top of one another in a trench coat, Little Rascals-style

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/Capt_Ferg/status/992676457964101638
https://twitter.com/rjschwalb/status/992746300365033474

A more "complete" players guide coming?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
that's stupid unless they refund everyone who bought the lovely one

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I was thinking like, a player's companion that adds a bunch of the player-facing additional content.

But I think it's actually just a "we'll see" sorta response and doesn't necessarily mean there's anything in the works of that nature.

The thing I really want is roll20 integration of like, the bestiary. Entering that poo poo by hand is tedious enough that I don't bother doing it, but it'd be real nice.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’ve been trying to ask about writing a character generator but haven’t had any replies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

I’ve been trying to ask about writing a character generator but haven’t had any replies.

I think that ever since the SRD thing he's been more protective of his stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I found this and I'm pretty sure it was linked somewhere official. If it's somehow :files: I'm sorry:
https://www.findgamers.us/sotdl-npcs/

It doesn't do equipment or anything but it's nice for simple chargen.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is the gm screen worth buying for this? I've heard mixed reviews on content.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I know the random NPC one, but I meant one players could use.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

hyphz posted:

I know the random NPC one, but I meant one players could use.
I mean, I think it's a good starting point? Players will still have to roll on the (mostly-)fluff tables but that's pretty fun. I used it for chargen when I was doing a oneshot.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is the gm screen worth buying for this? I've heard mixed reviews on content.

It's got a few speeling mystakes and I'm not sure how recently it was updated, so I'll have to check the tables against the latest pdf. That said, from DMing a week or two ago, yes. It was very handy. Even for the things that aren't on there, it provides a short list of the page numbers in the main book.
Definitely could be reorganised / revised (do you really need the marks of corruption table that often?), but I was very happy to have it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hollandia posted:

It's got a few speeling mystakes and I'm not sure how recently it was updated, so I'll have to check the tables against the latest pdf. That said, from DMing a week or two ago, yes. It was very handy. Even for the things that aren't on there, it provides a short list of the page numbers in the main book.
Definitely could be reorganised / revised (do you really need the marks of corruption table that often?), but I was very happy to have it.

Wait, the GM screen actually refers you to the book? I was told it did but assumed it was a joke.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
For the variant martial attacks (charge etc) iirc. Again, they should be listed instead of the marks of corruption, but it is what it is. Might be worth complaining to Schwalb about it on G+ now that I think about it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah if marks of darkness are coming up often enough that you need it on your DM screen, yikes. I think you average like 1 MoD by 7ish corruption?

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Pretty sure it's 1 mark per 3 corruption.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Glukeose posted:

Pretty sure it's 1 mark per 3 corruption.
Whenever you gain corruption you roll a d20, and if the result is less than your new corruption score, you gain a mark. So you have a 0% chance to gain a mark at 1 corruption, a 5% chance to get one when you reach 2 corruption, etc. You get a light mark-like effect at 7 corruption, but I haven't seen a rule that doles out guaranteed marks per three corruption.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Whenever you gain corruption you roll a d20, and if the result is less than your new corruption score, you gain a mark. So you have a 0% chance to gain a mark at 1 corruption, a 5% chance to get one when you reach 2 corruption, etc. You get a light mark-like effect at 7 corruption, but I haven't seen a rule that doles out guaranteed marks per three corruption.

I don't know if this is affected by will or anything but this means a >50% chance of having at least one mark by the time you reach 5 corruption.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay so I'm making a character who is a cook who uses fire magic. It says fire magic makes you hot tempered (lol) and the dm said to pick a celebrity picture who looks most like my character and I immediately a short angry halfing guy fieri. Any suggestions for a good tradition to combine with fire magic? Transformation might be cool but it seems like you can't cast spells in animal form.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 15, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Okay so I'm making a character who is a cook who uses fire magic. It says fire magic makes you hot tempered (lol) and the dm said to pick a celebrity picture who looks most like my character and I immediately a short angry halfing guy fieri. Any suggestions for a good tradition to combine with fire magic? Transformation might be cool but it seems like you can't cast spells in animal form.

Technomancy: Craft angry, animated stoves that spray incendiaries!

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Conjuration maybe? Conjure Useful Item to always have your cooking equipment on hand, Conjure Feast to do that TV cook 'We've cheated a little and prepared this last night...'

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Teleportation except all the portals go to Flavor Town.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

Teleportation except all the portals go to Flavor Town.

The combination of Guy Fieri, Glory Holes (the SotDL name for portals) and Flavor Town just broke my brain a little...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Antilles posted:

The combination of Guy Fieri, Glory Holes (the SotDL name for portals) and Flavor Town just broke my brain a little...
It's Hole of Glory, any lewd implications come from your dirty mind alone. :angel:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Those are all int schools and fire is will but I could make it work with spells that don't use one stat or the other.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In one of the one-shots I ran, the Hole of Glory spell allowed the boss to be efficiently murdered by way of the magician opening the hole and the warrior attacking through it with their lance, hitting the boss right in the head. I love little interactions like that.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Battle, Nature, Soul, and Storm are all Will based traditions that might complement a fire based arsenal.

Glukeose fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 15, 2018

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
From the G+ group:

Robert Schwalb posted:

Here's what's on my desk:

In the Shadows: Legacy of Shadow title detailing the secret service of the Empire.
PunkApocalyptic: New game using the DL engine
Embers Conversion
City of Decay: Lands in Shadow covering Nessus
Occult Philosophy: Big book of magic
Monstrous Pages detailing trolls
Freelance project for another company
Poisoned Pages (collects several entries and adds 30% new content)
Secret game: A new game using the DL engine
Elemental handbook: Big crunchy book for elementals
Secret game: A new game using the DL engine

Plus
We have Kem, Blagrendia, the March Lands, Qif, Pruul, Lij, Edes, and a big book of tables all in the works.

Ahead, I have a Paths in Shadow for magicians, monstrous pages covering hoods and broodlings, Set, plus Unspeakable Things, plus Patchwork Lands + mass combat and realm management.

Timing on all these things depends a great deal on my endurance, creativity, and capital. I plan to fold in more stuff for the other games, but we'll see. At any point, I might decide to throw myself into traffic and call it a day.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope the mass combat + realm management is a single book, and I hope it's good. :toot:

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

In an unprecedented move Rob announces those rules are just a quick conversion guide to Matt Coleville 's upcoming books! /worsttimeline

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I hope the mass combat + realm management is a single book, and I hope it's good. :toot:

hosed if I can think of the name, but this is apparently gonna be in one book.

Also, I heard through the grapevine that Rob is working on some sort of generic/normie fantasy d20 game using the Demon Lord engine, which seems like a smart move.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Serf posted:

Also, I heard through the grapevine that Rob is working on some sort of generic/normie fantasy d20 game using the Demon Lord engine, which seems like a smart move.

Beyond excising setting material what would need to be done to make the rules more “normie”?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Serf posted:

While I really dig SotDL's tone, I would like to see a generic rule set be available. When I pitch SotDL as it exists to my current table, the reaction was decided muted. There's honestly not a lot I would personally excise, I suspect mainly the integration of the Insanity / Corruption systems as they can feel like Swords of Damoclese over the players. Personally, I also find Changelings and Clockworks don't really jive with the sort of fantasy I want to tell stories about; and from experience I know players don't like their elves to be as alien and threatening as they are in Demon Lord (a point about which I personally disagree.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

drunkencarp posted:

Beyond excising setting material what would need to be done to make the rules more “normie”?

Carisma and Constitution added to base stats, Will renamed to Wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

drunkencarp posted:

Removing Insanity and Corruption would go a long way. Rewriting all the ancestry tables to have less dark/comedic results. Altering some of the Paths and spells that use Insanity and Corruption too, I reckon. At least those are the things I've been plugging away at with my normie and Eberron hacks.