Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Someone must have posted a sample a few pages back, because it looked familiar, but I am reading the Bug: The Adventures of Forager TPB and absolutely blown away by the Midnight back-up by James Harvey. Mike Allred is my favorite artist, but Bug's weird Kirby pastiche didn't do anything for me. Midnight, on the other hand, for just being a handful of pages, is taking as long to read and longer to fully parse and appreciate than all six issues of Bug. The layouts are inspired and insane, taking full advantage of what you CAN do with sequential art, just that hardly anyone bothers or thinks of it. Harvey makes me think of Windsor McCay, Chris Ware, and Matt Wagner on some of his most experimental Grendel work. I'm not familiar with him at all, but I hope he has more work like this to discover.

The whole story is only 12 pages, and you can probably Google it to find it on Imgur, but I removed the link.

I also read the first volume of Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye, and thought it was mostly forgettable, but Tom Scioli's Super Powers backup was far more interesting in every way. I hope Young Animal keeps including these offbeat backup features.

Also, I remember from DC Who's Who back in the '80s that Midnight (a Jack Cole creation) looked a hell of a lot like The Spirit, just with a matching blue trench coat. Did Harvey create this current look for him, or does that go back too?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Miller's work on TDKR, Ronin, Daredevil and most of Sin City was loving great.

I don't think it's the coloring so much as the inks because Klaus Janson always brought the best of Frank's work. Miller's style has always been a little odd - blocky and contorted - but his real strength in his prime was his use of light and shadow, his pacing and his genuinely dynamic storytelling. His panels flowed like a film and his exaggerations lent power and drama to the images.

Somewhere along the line though, he just straight up got loving sloppy, as if he didn't give a poo poo at all and never bothered to slip sheet or re-work something. I'd like to see a book with him where he plotted panels and pages but then a more careful and clean working artist fleshed out the drawings themselves. Not like an inker but more a second stage penciller.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Miller's work on TDKR, Ronin, Daredevil and most of Sin City was loving great.

I don't think it's the coloring so much as the inks because Klaus Janson always brought the best of Frank's work. Miller's style has always been a little odd - blocky and contorted - but his real strength in his prime was his use of light and shadow, his pacing and his genuinely dynamic storytelling. His panels flowed like a film and his exaggerations lent power and drama to the images.

The only way to save that art is to do a complete redraw, not ink or color it differently.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is the whole thing (someone put it on Imgur):
https://imgur.com/gallery/9oypT

From the links at the bottom, that someone is also hosting full comics. gently caress 'em.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

From the links at the bottom, that someone is also hosting full comics. gently caress 'em.

I didn't even notice that! Sorry, I will remove the link.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I like DK2

:ohdear:

I know there's some wince-inducing stuff in there but overall I love how mad and colourful it all is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I like DK2

:ohdear:

I know there's some wince-inducing stuff in there but overall I love how mad and colourful it all is.

:same:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone must have posted a sample a few pages back, because it looked familiar, but I am reading the Bug: The Adventures of Forager TPB and absolutely blown away by the Midnight back-up by James Harvey...

Check out his stuff then:

http://james-harvey-pe49.squarespace.com/comics/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YZTYXftzg
(edit: imgur is resizing the image. It looks much nicer here: https://pste.eu/p/XEro.html )

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 7, 2018

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Also, I remember from DC Who's Who back in the '80s that Midnight (a Jack Cole creation) looked a hell of a lot like The Spirit, just with a matching blue trench coat. Did Harvey create this current look for him, or does that go back too?

Harvey definitely changes a lot of things about Midnight, including his costume and his secret identity. The first chapter of the story also shows that he killed off Midnight's sidekicks and destroyed his trademark weapon from the Golden Age comics.

Midnight did originally look exactly like the Spirit because he was literally created to be an emergency backup Spirit in case Will Eisner died in WW2. I wrote a bit about him here:

http://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/162925777913/you-probably-know-that-will-eisners-the-spirit

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YZTYXftzg
(edit: imgur is resizing the image. It looks much nicer here: https://pste.eu/p/XEro.html )

Benito Cereno posted:

Harvey definitely changes a lot of things about Midnight, including his costume and his secret identity. The first chapter of the story also shows that he killed off Midnight's sidekicks and destroyed his trademark weapon from the Golden Age comics.

Midnight did originally look exactly like the Spirit because he was literally created to be an emergency backup Spirit in case Will Eisner died in WW2. I wrote a bit about him here:

http://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/162925777913/you-probably-know-that-will-eisners-the-spirit

Nice write-up, Benito! Very strange that Harvey made the changes he did, but I kinda liked Midnight's new costume.

I've been Googling and trying to find more of Harvey's work over the last day, and I'm incredibly blown away by that M83 piece. I love the few songs I've heard by them (him?), so I'm more inspired than ever to dig deeper. And I want to find more amazing artwork from Harvey! I have a feeling I'll start obsessing over his work like Allred, Cooke, Piskor, and Scioli, especially if he brings his unique style to more mainstream characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved his We Are Robin covers/designs. He also did interiors for one of the issues.

And some for pre-Rebirth Batgirl.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 7, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I loved his I Am Robin covers/designs. He also did interiors for one of the issues.

And some for pre-Rebirth Batgirl.

Blown away. Thanks for posting those!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I actually lost track of him a bit because I followed him on livejournal for all his updates :v: shame on me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nice write-up, Benito! Very strange that Harvey made the changes he did, but I kinda liked Midnight's new costume.

I've been Googling and trying to find more of Harvey's work over the last day, and I'm incredibly blown away by that M83 piece. I love the few songs I've heard by them (him?), so I'm more inspired than ever to dig deeper. And I want to find more amazing artwork from Harvey! I have a feeling I'll start obsessing over his work like Allred, Cooke, Piskor, and Scioli, especially if he brings his unique style to more mainstream characters.

this is some drat good taste. I agree that the coolest thing about those Bug books, which were actually pretty good, was Harvey's work on the backups.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

this is some drat good taste. I agree that the coolest thing about those Bug books, which were actually pretty good, was Harvey's work on the backups.

Thank you! I definitely prefer more "low-key" artists these days -- David Aja, Steve Lieber, and Sean Phillips also rank high up there for me, compared to being obsessed with Arthur Adams, J. Scott Campbell, and Jim Lee as a teenager in the '90s. (Although I still appreciate Adams and Campbell these days.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the low key stuff (Phillips just works and perfectly complements Brubaker), but for me the most exciting comics are generally going to be guys doing stuff in the vein of Kirby or Moebius.

Ulises Farinas has done some really cool stuff.

I picked up his Motro series and was disappointed when it ended after only four issues.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is definitely a repost, but Miller's modern work, as degraded as it is, would be a LOT better with a colorist that matches his style: https://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

Apparently he's just not interested in that, though. He seems to be in in love with the modern look with tons of gradients, and it does NOT compliment his work.

This is a great write up and comparison, thank you for sharing.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Now, i'm not a military man but....

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Now, i'm not a military man but....

There is a bazooka model that loads like that, where you lift and rotate the base to load the rocket with the front pointing in, but it takes a sealed ‘cartridge’ with a folding fin missile inside, not a rocket propelled grenade.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He got distracted by a guy yelling

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I've been buying up a bunch of classic 2000AD stuff and for my tastes pretty much nothing tops that old Kevin O'Neil art, especially Nemesis the Warlock. It's like everything appealing about the 40K aesthetic but fun and goofy as gently caress.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 14, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jordan7hm posted:

I love the low key stuff (Phillips just works and perfectly complements Brubaker), but for me the most exciting comics are generally going to be guys doing stuff in the vein of Kirby or Moebius.

Ulises Farinas has done some really cool stuff.

Both of these are extremely my poo poo.

And a Good Night PunPun ref? :pusheen:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Man I've been buying up a bunch of classic 2000AD stuff and for my tastes pretty much nothing tops that old Kevin O'Neil art, especially Nemesis the Warlock. It's like everything appealing about the 40K aesthetic but fun and goofy as gently caress.

A detail that's not really visible in the second picture is that Torque-Armada's (the red robot) feet are loving galleons, filled with fanatics turning gears by hand to make it move.

Nemesis is a great strip because O'Neill and Pat Mills filled it with an insane amount of detail about just how horrible this future, and humans in general), really are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was finishing up the year-long Panther's Rage storyline from the old Jungle Action series and it says clearly on the cover that it's the epilogue issue. There's a panel very early on in the issue that has the start of the word "epilogue"...

...but it's cut off. I was reading it on Marvel Unlimited so I thought maybe it was a double-page spread that didn't display right, or that a page was skipped, but no. Oh well.

Then, near the end of the issue...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stealing from the DC thread, the cover for the just announced Lex Luthor/Porky Pig crossover one-shot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really don't like when patterns are applied as a completely flat fill. Makes it look like Lex isn't wearing a patterned suit but that his body is a silhouette through which we are peering into the plaid dimension.

No, wait.

The Plane of Plaid?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stealing from the DC thread, the cover for the just announced Lex Luthor/Porky Pig crossover one-shot.

Sweet jesus that's horrifying

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Realistic porky is disturbing af

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobok posted:

I really don't like when patterns are applied as a completely flat fill. Makes it look like Lex isn't wearing a patterned suit but that his body is a silhouette through which we are peering into the plaid dimension.

No, wait.

The Plane of Plaid?

I'm into it. It's an old cartoon trick since plaids would be a nightmare to animate any other way. Using it for a looney tunes crossover is pretty inspired.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

purple death ray posted:

I'm into it. It's an old cartoon trick since plaids would be a nightmare to animate any other way. Using it for a looney tunes crossover is pretty inspired.

Yeah, the alternative is pretty much either skewing and stretching a texture under the outline mechanistically (which may look worse) or drawing all that moving around by hand, which is a Herculean task on a level that you have to sit and think a second to really appreciate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/EdPiskor/status/997166629602643971
He's the Hip-Hop Family Tree and X-Men Grand Designs dude, btw.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 17, 2018

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lobok posted:

No, wait.

The Plane of Plaid?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

No, wait.

The Plane of Plaid?

The Plane of Plaid sucks, you have to make a DC21 Charisma save ever 6 hours or move to Portland.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This was actually done in Monkey Island 1 for precisely the reason Purple Death Ray talks about above. They talk about it in the director's commentary for MI2 - it wasn't an intentional joke, but a consequence of the simplicity of the hardware the game had to run on and the need to save time that happened to look funny enough to become iconic.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Android Blues posted:

This was actually done in Monkey Island 1 for precisely the reason Purple Death Ray talks about above. They talk about it in the director's commentary for MI2 - it wasn't an intentional joke, but a consequence of the simplicity of the hardware the game had to run on and the need to save time that happened to look funny enough to become iconic.

Yup, I just had better luck finding a nonshitty gif from Curse. Still mad we never got the hyper realistic Jaguars from the log joke when they put it on ps3.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/EdPiskor/status/997166629602643971
He's the Hip-Hop Family Tree and X-Men Grand Designs dude, btw.

I wanna know more about Marcel Walker, the Lyrical Terrorist.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lobok posted:

I was finishing up the year-long Panther's Rage storyline from the old Jungle Action series and it says clearly on the cover that it's the epilogue issue. There's a panel very early on in the issue that has the start of the word "epilogue"...

...but it's cut off. I was reading it on Marvel Unlimited so I thought maybe it was a double-page spread that didn't display right, or that a page was skipped, but no. Oh well.

Then, near the end of the issue...

I am irrationally angry by this cleverness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Billy Graham was doing some fierce work throughout the storyline and particularly liked doing fun things with the titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A Joker trade from 1990 did the same thing with the pattern on Joker's suit

Only registered members can see post attachments!