Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As a sort of follow-up to my last question about a decent modern STALKER update, I played a good 20-30 hours of Call of Chernobyl, eventually got bored / sick of the crashes and bugs, and tried Far Cry 4, which to my surprise I'm really enjoying.

My one complaint is I don't like iron sights being better than hip firing (I put up with it in STALKER because the atmosphere is great, and FC4 is similar in that respect even if it's exactly the opposite kind of atmosphere) and I hate sniper sway. Are there any games structured like Far Cry 4 (sort of that open world collectathon / territory capture deal) but with a more arena shooter-like sensibility to the combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for something reminiscent of Tyrian/Tyrian 2000. So basically a shmup-ish game with lots of customizability, ships, combat styles, etc.

Also, my wife has been playing Dark Cloud 2 and I'm itching for games that have either cool fun world-building (Actraiser also springs to mind, though that was limited) and/or fun and involved equipment crafting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for something reminiscent of Tyrian/Tyrian 2000. So basically a shmup-ish game with lots of customizability, ships, combat styles, etc.

Also, my wife has been playing Dark Cloud 2 and I'm itching for games that have either cool fun world-building (Actraiser also springs to mind, though that was limited) and/or fun and involved equipment crafting.

Jets N Guns.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I want to run around, feel way too powerful, and have the bad guys react in more of an "oh poo poo" way than "Hmm Hmm HMMMM, yes, even though you have cleaved through everything around you, I'm still going to be haughty as hell.". Like Prototype 1/2 (except for a few notable times), Doom 2016, certain parts of KOTOR 2, stuff like that. I'm pretty flexible in the genre. It'd be easier if it were a PC game.

I think I'm just tired of endlessly confident people who don't seem to react to you tearing someone in half.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Bulletstorm

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You would enjoy a specific part of Tomb Raider 2013.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Far Cry 2 does this, although a bit crudely. There's a reputation meter that starts to reflect in random baddie barks, and in how... respectful the mercenaries in the town react towards you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I want to run around, feel way too powerful, and have the bad guys react in more of an "oh poo poo" way than "Hmm Hmm HMMMM, yes, even though you have cleaved through everything around you, I'm still going to be haughty as hell.". Like Prototype 1/2 (except for a few notable times), Doom 2016, certain parts of KOTOR 2, stuff like that. I'm pretty flexible in the genre. It'd be easier if it were a PC game.

I think I'm just tired of endlessly confident people who don't seem to react to you tearing someone in half.

The Batman: Arkham games are alright for this. Most of the main villains will smarm at you, but you get to put the fear of God into a whole lot of mooks.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 13, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The Last of Us starts to do this on an area by area basis.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Dishonored 1 is good for this, mainly because all the NPCs are constantly talking about how awesome you are. The gameplay is still good in 2 (arguably better), but they don't hype you up nearly as much as the first one.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Space Marine (the Warhammer 40K one) had some elements of this. Most enemies don't give a poo poo, admittedly: The orcs are stupid as hell, have no fear of death, and only care about having a good fight, so they happily charge you en-masse no matter what. The Chaos forces likewise are unimpressed, what with their fanatical devotion to the dark gods. Nonetheless, the game does a really good job making you feel like the badass, walking-tank engine-of-death that the lore sells you as. And there's one scene in particular where your squad is walking through a bunker filled with standard Imperial Guard, who constantly whisper in awed amazement at seeing a real-life space marine as you pass.

It's the Warhammer 40K universe so everyone is still suicidally insane and aggressive, but if you want to feel like a total loving badass, it delivers. I always remember, for example, being really disappointed by the nanosuit in the Crysis series; it's supposed to make you superhuman, but in actual gameplay it's not a fraction as good as the storyline portrays it. The game would be ludicrously easy, if it was. By comparison, Space Marine actually makes you feel like you really ARE as amazing as your character should be, while still remaining reasonably challenging.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I loving loved Space Marine. Great game.

Anything like Fallout Tactics out there? I may be the only person in the world who liked it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nuclear War posted:

I loving loved Space Marine. Great game.

Anything like Fallout Tactics out there? I may be the only person in the world who liked it

Have you tried the new XCOM games already?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Have you tried the new XCOM games already?

I have, yeah. Loved 'em

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nuclear War posted:

What aspect of Fallout Tactics? There were a lot of good ideas that went wrong in that game. I'd definitely say new XCOM and definitely new Battletech in terms of squad-based tactics, though if you are one of the hosed up realtime players I dunno what to tell you. I would also recommend Atlas Reactor if you want that idea but online competitive multiplayer, though that's kind of a stretch I suppose. It's honestly a good game though, in my opinion.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I actually loved playing realtime, but accepted that i had to change to turn based once i got anywhere or lose someone

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nuclear War posted:

I actually loved playing realtime, but accepted that i had to change to turn based once i got anywhere or lose someone

Have you played XCom Apocalypse? Also, Jagged Alliance 2/Back in Action or 7.62mm. Maybe Marauder.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

I have, yeah. Loved 'em

The new Battletech game has a similar gameplay, though it's relatively heavier on the tactical fights and less focused on RPG aspects. It's a tad rough around the edges, but made by the same people who also made the various Shadowrun games, so there'll likely be good support down the line. Worth a look if you like big stompy robots.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nuclear War posted:

Try Into the Breach?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Split Screen co op games? We both liked Hollow Knight, EDF, Rocket League, and we're looking for stuff we can play on one machine.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

Fun Split Screen co op games? We both liked Hollow Knight, EDF, Rocket League, and we're looking for stuff we can play on one machine.

Overcooked!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Overcooked is great, but we're looking for games closer to like Salt and Sanctuary, Dark souls 1 - 3, or Resident Evil 6, games we can play split screen and have a definitive end that can be achievable in 2 - 30 hours or whatever.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Lovers in a dangerous spacetime is a blast coop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Seconding Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Enter the Gungeon also has great couch co-op. Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is an old school arcade beat em up with very light rpg elements. For that matter, it's a little old, but Castle Crashers is the same style of game, but has a good but more depth in the rpg elements.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm looking for a high level management/tactical game. An ideal game would allow for delegation of command and tactical advice, along with broadstrokes force level orders, or if it's at a lower level, a high degree of autonomy for when things don't go as per the plan.

I've played and enjoyed Command Ops 2, which offers the broad strokes, but it's severely lacking in terms of other "Command Staff" type characters to criticise or advise moves. As such, it feels somewhat lacking as a hierarchical command game. I've also dabbled in Achtung Panzer/Graviteam Tactics/Tank Warfare, but it feels similarly lacking to Command Ops while also defining its scale much worse, along with some obtuse controls here and there.

On the lower end of the scale, I adore Football Manager but would like something with higher stakes. I'm also fond of business management games, but often feel they lack the personal or unpredictable touch. I've also enjoyed Rainbow Six 3, but the sheer inflexibility of the AI to perform outside of the plan is infuriating when there's just one guy in a corner, or there's one blindspot your highly trained operators simply never turn their head to look at, and there's no option to switch the plan into a contingency mode if, for example, an enemy gets a shot off and alerts the compound, or a point has more resistance than expected.

Are there any other games out there of this style that I haven't mentioned? I'm fine going as far back as needed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm looking for a high level management/tactical game. An ideal game would allow for delegation of command and tactical advice, along with broadstrokes force level orders, or if it's at a lower level, a high degree of autonomy for when things don't go as per the plan.

I've played and enjoyed Command Ops 2, which offers the broad strokes, but it's severely lacking in terms of other "Command Staff" type characters to criticise or advise moves. As such, it feels somewhat lacking as a hierarchical command game. I've also dabbled in Achtung Panzer/Graviteam Tactics/Tank Warfare, but it feels similarly lacking to Command Ops while also defining its scale much worse, along with some obtuse controls here and there.

I guess the question here is figuring out the level of abstraction you're really looking for, and what level of granularity you're looking for. Are you commanding on the field, to the field, or from the map? Are you looking to fight a battle, manage a war campaign, or lead a country that is engaged in war?

One of the problems I think you'll encounter in finding the ideal game here is that as computers have advanced, and our ability to handle all these units on a single field has advanced, game developers have decided their war management games need to follow Total War and give that level of unit control, rather than give control of those units to officers. Additionally, while it used to be that unit training was something you had to manage, these days you just give your barracks a training value and your units are generated as veterans, being a flag of having an extra level on your units pumped out from that area rather than something derived from, say, the leadership value of an officer stationed at that barracks, or leading those troops. On top of that, the automatic resolution of combat in games like Total War is usually complete poo poo in terms of results relative to what a player could accomplish in the same fight using a minimal degree of thought in positioning.

What it sounds like to me is that you want something where you have officers that have a personal relationship to the commander you're assuming. In my experience, that kind of stuff tends to not be present much in stuff where you're doing a single but very long engagement, and is more often found in stuff where you're running a campaign to conquer an area, but that also comes with possibly way more management stuff that you want in a game about the battles. However, if you think you might be okay with that, I would suggest looking into Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. It has those Total War style fights, but you can handle those without focusing so close on the fight that you have to pull completely away from everything else as you would have to in Total War. You can, if you want, zoom in on fights just enough to see placement and facing, and run with that.

It's very much a 4X game though, except without the exploration, because the landmass of Japan has already been explored by that time. The management elements are still there. Along with that management though, what you'll get out of pretty much all the Koei-developed strategy games that you don't get out of Total War is officers that function as individual characters, rather than just another guy you pumped out. Developing trust is important, as is making sure that your officers are suited to their tasks.

Ultimately though I think that you'll just have to accept that any amount of delegation options a game makes available to you is going to come with a reason to want to delegate it, and that's going to come in the form of infrastructure management overhead on top of battle management.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

was caeser IV good?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

It's very much a 4X game though, except without the exploration, because the landmass of Japan has already been explored by that time. The management elements are still there. Along with that management though, what you'll get out of pretty much all the Koei-developed strategy games that you don't get out of Total War is officers that function as individual characters, rather than just another guy you pumped out. Developing trust is important, as is making sure that your officers are suited to their tasks.

Ultimately though I think that you'll just have to accept that any amount of delegation options a game makes available to you is going to come with a reason to want to delegate it, and that's going to come in the form of infrastructure management overhead on top of battle management.

I've played the Koei games to death. Sphere of Influence kinda fails to give the officers personality (Does the expansion/PUK change much in that regard?), as does RoTK XIII. X came closest, but even then they don't feel all that great. I just kinda want Military or business Football Manager. That game is seriously the perfect management game, but watching that much footy gets dull eventually. Heck, even something with advisors with personality like Civ 2 would be good enough.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm looking for games that fit the following: PC (Windows), online multiplayer, can be played with controller, and runs on old/bad integrated graphics. My CPU/GPU is an Intel i5-5300U. It's a plus if the online community isn't tiny.

The games I already play that fit these categories are: Fortnite and Overwatch. Any genre is fine for recommendations though, not just FPS.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need a game like Overwatch, but doesn't make me hate myself when I play it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I need a game like Overwatch, but doesn't make me hate myself when I play it.

Super Mega Baseball 2.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've played the Koei games to death. Sphere of Influence kinda fails to give the officers personality (Does the expansion/PUK change much in that regard?), as does RoTK XIII. X came closest, but even then they don't feel all that great. I just kinda want Military or business Football Manager. That game is seriously the perfect management game, but watching that much footy gets dull eventually. Heck, even something with advisors with personality like Civ 2 would be good enough.

How would you create military advisors that don't just act like clippy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

How would you create military advisors that don't just act like clippy

Have them offer a number of suggestions. Think Ultimate General Gettysburg's variety of AI personalities, but they suggest courses of action to you and you choose what to implement. All out-of-battle stuff is setting up the unit doctrine and battle strategy, and putting good staff in the right places. Delegate areas you're not interested in managing to AI managers (My god does War in the Pacific and Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa need this). Heck, Distant Worlds Universe even has this kind of option, where you can set the AI to manage everything for you but it asks you to rubber stamp its decisions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

1:26 :vince:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Have them offer a number of suggestions. Think Ultimate General Gettysburg's variety of AI personalities, but they suggest courses of action to you and you choose what to implement. All out-of-battle stuff is setting up the unit doctrine and battle strategy, and putting good staff in the right places. Delegate areas you're not interested in managing to AI managers (My god does War in the Pacific and Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa need this). Heck, Distant Worlds Universe even has this kind of option, where you can set the AI to manage everything for you but it asks you to rubber stamp its decisions.

I remember NA: Sphere of Influence having the option to create provinces that manage themselves, and googling backs that up, but I guess what you want is verbal communication or somethin? What it sounds like you're asking for is having requests for you to approve or deny, where your decisions to sign orders determines the overall direction of the country or what effort or whatever. But if that was the case and you still had the ability and manage things directly with no opportunity cost for doing so, then that's very Clippy to me. I suppose Banner Saga does this with the "some poo poo happened, what's your response" with a list of 3 options or so, but then, that doesn't really have any strategic positioning or something like that with a world map or whatever. Majesty had an interesting take on it where it was essentially an RTS only you used incentives rather than direct control, but was terribly flawed in its execution.

Dunno. Seems like a rough genre to search for, those highly technical management games that still offer personalities to interact with beyond a board game kind of thing. Maybe there's some kind of RPG/conquest genre bender out there? I'd like to play that myself.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 16, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I remember NA: Sphere of Influence having the option to create provinces that manage themselves, and googling backs that up, but I guess what you want is verbal communication or somethin?

I want to manage what feels like people, not just balls of statistics. Not telling them how to do everything, and being able to delegate to sub-managers of varying ability. As I've said, something close to Football Manager, but I'll also just take bickering advisors as in Civ 2, or heck even King of Dragon Pass. I know finding the perfect game is a long shot until Burden of Command comes out, but I'd primarily love to hear about older titles like this.

Ok, you look like you need to play King of Dragon Pass then.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I want to manage what feels like people, not just balls of statistics. Not telling them how to do everything, and being able to delegate to sub-managers of varying ability. As I've said, something close to Football Manager, but I'll also just take bickering advisors as in Civ 2, or heck even King of Dragon Pass. I know finding the perfect game is a long shot until Burden of Command comes out, but I'd primarily love to hear about older titles like this.

Ok, you look like you need to play King of Dragon Pass then.

Have you given Ogre Battle (or Ogre Battle 64) an honest shot? It is not a grand strategy game, and instead focuses on individual real-time battles, but you make squads that perform in combat automatically, rather than pick their individual moves per fight, and there are loads of well-defined characters. This includes one guy who, at least at the beginning of the stage, gives you an overview and some suggestions of how to accomplish the mission. You can do it other ways though. It's not really what you're asking for, but it seems sort of adjacent to it, and if you haven't played those games they do sound to me like they'd be up your alley.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 16, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Have you given Ogre Battle (or Ogre Battle 64) an honest shot? It is not a grand strategy game, and instead focuses on individual real-time battles, but you make squads that perform in combat automatically, rather than pick their individual moves per fight, and there are loads of well-defined characters. This includes one guy who, at least at the beginning of the stage, gives you an overview and some suggestions of how to accomplish the mission. You can do it other ways though. It's not really what you're asking for, but it seems sort of adjacent to it, and if you haven't played those games they do sound to me like they'd be up your alley.

I've played Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together on the PSP, but that was a more FFT style fair. This seems straight up my alley, thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've played Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together on the PSP, but that was a more FFT style fair. This seems straight up my alley, thanks!

Do yourself a huge favor and, without spoiling any story, look up a guide on how the class system and character progression works, and what actions influence progression. There's a lot of tricky poo poo in it, like how certain classes are tied to alignment, and alignment shifts based on things like what time of day you fight and what your squad's level is relative to the thing you fight. If you want to have a high alignment for example, you'll wanna level that squad fighting fair during the day, and use them to liberate towns during the day. Conversely you can liberate towns at night with a team of bullies who kill poo poo at night with a massive level advantage to make some kind of death knight brute squad. It's not intuitive and you definitely will get more out of it with more understanding of class advancement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
playing Ogre Battle blind is a hell of an experience though

like i always massively overlevel units and didn't really stop to think about the night/day system so i had my units transforming into werewolves and poo poo and got the super-omega-evil "you become an even worse tyrant than the queen" ending