Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Some Numbers posted:

What, like having both Afterburners and an astromech? Each card has its own set of charges, you don't get to pool them together.
I'm just not ruling out any shenanigans or jank until I see the actual text of the mechanics, since spending a token is way more easily manipulated than discarding a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Vader having access to a 1-straight is a gamechanger, and the real highlight of that article for me.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm just not ruling out any shenanigans or jank until I see the actual text of the mechanics, since spending a token is way more easily manipulated than discarding a card.

I’m sure they’ll add things like this in. They’ve got years to mess with the system and hundreds of cards to write so it’s coming.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
With the end of 1.0 I have decided to go full gently caress it with my local league games and go for maximum dumb jank.

Tonight I fly 3 a wings.

Tycho with PTL, RAGE, AT and prockets
Jake with PTL, intensity AT and prockets
Arvel, with intimidation, AT and prockets.

I get a bonus point for using Arvel fwiw( I'm also getting a bonus point for using Fel's Wrath)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Going to an Objective Based X-wing tournament tomorrow. I don't know the scenarios or objectives and I don't care about running a super meta list.

Protectorate Star.: •Fenn Rau (34)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)
Push the Limit (3)

Y-Wing: Hired Gun (33)
Guidance Chips (0)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Y-Wing: Hired Gun (33)
Guidance Chips (0)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Total: 100/100

I could change the Protons to Plasmas and get a different EPT on Fenn, like Expertise maybe? I don't really want to bother with TLT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Munitions on Y wings are super questionable, especially if you're already buying a turret. You'll probably never fire even two of the four torps.

Dunk both torps and both EMs, buy a z.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Jeez even back when Horton Salm was a good Y-Wing pilot, I don't think I fired off more than a couple Torps on a Y-Wing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Recoome posted:

Jeez even back when Horton Salm was a good Y-Wing pilot, I don't think I fired off more than a couple Torps on a Y-Wing.

I maintain Horton is still good. :colbert:

The Rey Horton list is one of my favorite lists.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'm a little sad Jake Farrell only came out as a skill 4 pilot in the rework, I was hoping PS 7 would work out to a 5 for him. Wonder if/how many old pilots got their stats sort of changed up in the trasition. Guri with a 4 or 5 in a Starviper would make me super happy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm playing a "B-Team" event at Gen Con. It's meant for fun non-tournament lists. Here's the restrictions they posted:

1. Player squad lists shall contain no more than 100 pts of ships and upgrades.
2. Lists must be built from a single faction.
3. Rebel lists shall contain no more than 1 Auzituck Gunship.
4. The following cards, ships & pilots are banned:
a. PS 7 or higher Pilots
b. Sheathipede
c. Twin Laser Turret
d. Push the Limit
e. Advanced Cloaking Device
f. Captured TIE
g. Veteran Instinct
h. Adaptability
i. Deadeye
j. Crackshot
k. Trajectory Simulator
l. Bomblet Generator

I believe Harpoons are out too.
I'm thinking of taking 4x Roookie Pilots in T-65s, all with Proton Torpedoes. My goal for this is dumb and gimmicky, but fun. I require your goofiest lists.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
3 TIE/d Defenders with Ion and Tractors will probably clean up in that format.
4 TIE SFs is good too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

4 TIE SFs is good too.

I was thinking triple x7/s, Vessery/Ryad/Delta, with Swarm Leader on Vessery.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hemmed and hawed up until ten minutes before the objective tournament today. Finally settled on this:

A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (24)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Juke (2)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

B-Wing: Blue Squadron Pilot (28)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tractor Beam (1)
Tactician (2)

Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Targeting Astromech (2)

X-Wing: Rookie Pilot (23)
Integrated Astromech (0)
•R3-A2 (2)

Total: 100/100

Not a high tier list by any means but whatever. I went 1-2 and as my prize I picked out this little foam carry box with cut outs. I've been looking for something like this, and it also included a YT-2400 so now I have two of those. Also managed to trade three of my useless Imperial ships for a brand new Fang Fighter. Once I get a third one (THAT ROTATES) I'll have enough to fit the Conversion Kit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was recently brutalized with 4x Red Squadron pilots with Targeting Astromechs, though I think Flight Assists could also be hilarious there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

4 TIE SFs is good too.

gently caress three /ds, 2 Juke x7s and one with... I dunno, Draw Their Fire, or A Score to Settle... will tear that poo poo to shreds.

Similarly Echo will be close to untouchable and can even take an actually-useful EPT.

I'm thinking Oicunn Echo would be a solid list.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress three /ds, 2 Juke x7s and one with... I dunno, Draw Their Fire, or A Score to Settle... will tear that poo poo to shreds.

Similarly Echo will be close to untouchable and can even take an actually-useful EPT.

I'm thinking Oicunn Echo would be a solid list.

Advanced Cloaking Device is on the banned list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vessery with swarm leader? The evade eating one
Ryad x7
Ps1 defender x7

Roll dice win game

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Advanced Cloaking Device is on the banned list.

Derp yeah.

THen probably the defenders.

Swarm Leader vess and the hyperjousters is a great one.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So I've been playing around with the A-Wings because I never really bothered to learn them. Now, am I doing this right?

Jake Farrell (24)
Intensity (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Move Jake, take a focus. Focus gives you a free boost that triggers Intensity, giving you another focus token and flipping the card, which triggers Jake again since it doesn't say "once per round," giving me a free barrel roll. Then PTL for a target lock.

I guess the balance here is that A-wings basically fire strongly-worded postcards making all of that jank kinda pointless.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 16, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yup.
Make him hit better by giving him cruise or prockets rather than chardaan.

But also, you run into the perennial problem with Jake that whilst intensity is basically written for him, PTL and VI are both better. If you have no PTL, you can't have focus/TL in the same turn, which is bad. If you have no VI, you can't move after Miranda who is basically hell on wheels for you. SO you need both, and you lose Intensity. Which in practice isn't outstanding anyway, unless you have easy access to multiple tokens without it and can reliably keep them. Because you have to keep one to spend on it at some point, and it's easy to keep pressure on you to make sure you can't.

In short, Intensity is a brilliant, balanced card, and intensity Jake is a brilliant, balanced ship and the rest of the game is busted to gently caress and bring on 2e already.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ugggh still 4 months to go till 2.0

Any rumours when Saw's Renegades is going to be released?

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 15, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think I'm just gonna stop until 2.0 is out. I dunno when store champ are supposed to start. Maybe ill gently caress around with them for a bit but ugh this meta..... I have like no desire to really play any 1.0 stuff anymore besides a few Poe lists I'll never get to fly again.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Raged posted:

All we know for now is that it won't be out in time for Euros (2.5 weeks away). I'd guess not too long after that though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think I'm just gonna stop until 2.0 is out. I dunno when store champ are supposed to start. Maybe ill gently caress around with them for a bit but ugh this meta..... I have like no desire to really play any 1.0 stuff anymore besides a few Poe lists I'll never get to fly again.

I'm in two minds about playing 1.0. On one hand, I just want to say screw it and play fun stuff till 2.0. On the other hand, I want to run my best list and give the last (and my first) 1.0 Nationals a good run.

My Poonapple list is still kicking rear end and taking names when I don't have a brain fart.

Might tool around with this at the flgs monthly for a change of pace.

Wullffwarro (30)
Expertise (4)
Tactician (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Lowhhrick (28)
Expertise (4)
Tactician (2)
C-3PO (3)

Ezra Bridger (Sheathipede) (17)
Snap Shot (2)
Hera Syndulla (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm just gonna fly Vader and a miniswarm for practice. Really hoping that Fenn + miniswarm is a viable list.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Raged posted:

Ugggh still 4 months to go till 2.0

Amazon says July 31st but it's probably just a placeholder.

Jake is what A-wings should be like; balls to the wall crazy ships that fly all over and engage only on their terms. The lack of natural barrel roll in combination with the 2 dice primary really neutered them.

Edit: Do we know if there is going to be a Scum release for Wave 14?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 15, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm gonna do one last league for 1.0 and only fly my fun lists that I never got to fly at tournaments because they weren't "competitive" when I was involved.

So, gonna fly interceptors and lots of named pilot b-wings.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I’m starting up a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster and will just play that til 2.0. I also hear there’s a fan-made “1.5” that allows you to play with some of the stuff known from the 2.0 demos, so I might go looking for that to practice with.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m starting up a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster and will just play that til 2.0. I also hear there’s a fan-made “1.5” that allows you to play with some of the stuff known from the 2.0 demos, so I might go looking for that to practice with.

I'd love to see a new 2.0 Vassal module but maybe won't happen until there's a 2.0 rules ref.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd love to see a new 2.0 Vassal module but maybe won't happen until there's a 2.0 rules ref.

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if it's not already in the works, and if it's not going to be out well before the launch date.

Indeed,, I have this vague inling with no particular basis that FFG actually use vassal for playtesting, so I owuldn't be at all surprised if there's a private release of it already.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if it's not already in the works, and if it's not going to be out well before the launch date.

Indeed,, I have this vague inling with no particular basis that FFG actually use vassal for playtesting, so I owuldn't be at all surprised if there's a private release of it already.

Yeah that makes sense... I just don't want to get too excited.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

It was basically don't ask don't tell for a while then it was a hard No.

What do they really need to change for vassal? It already has an auto bump feature. The dice are the same the template are the same and the stat values are all added manually.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The barrel roll mechanics, probably the decloak mechanics, maybe the tallon roll mechanics, plus adding the bullseyes, midlines, and quadrants onto all the ships - especially the midlines, those are going to be relevant for a bunch of stuff.

Not to mention implementing the medium base. And the charge mechanics and force mechanics. Etc etc etc. E: and primary turret arcs, and mobile turrets on stuff other than the Lancer.

E: and the stat values haven't been added manually for like... a year or something? They autoload from the builders now, so at least partly, they need to wait until they know how, if at all, the official builder will offer its lists.

Seriously, there's a TONNE Of minor changes that will need a bunch of hard work with the backend.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 15, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I know some people working on the tabletop simulator version and apparently they've already got medium bases working.

Edit: they've actually got it going with the squads already revealed by FFG. They streamed a demo on Twitch.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Will the faction packs include medium bases where needed, or are they literally just cardboard?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Will the faction packs include medium bases where needed, or are they literally just cardboard?

Conversion kits include the medium bases and, where necessary, the adapters necessary to hook small base ships (like K-Wing) to the large medium-base pegs

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Tomorrow at noon is the reveal of what’s in the conversion kits. I’m hoping that a lot of what is revealed is generally balanced as best as possible with cards and abilities that are unique and not “auto includes”

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Tomorrow at noon is the reveal of what’s in the conversion kits. I’m hoping that a lot of what is revealed is generally balanced as best as possible with cards and abilities that are unique and not “auto includes”

Fact: There will always be something that's "best"
Corollary: There will always be something that's "worst"

I expect there will be at least one auto-include and at least one piece of poo poo purely based on the text of the items revealed.

However, and this is the best part, a large part of what defines best and worst in X-Wing is its value vs its cost.

The cost is now entirely negotiable. What is worst today could be priced down until it's worth taking, and what is best could be priced up until it's not the best anymore.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Everyone get your screen cap tools ready, because there's gonna be some more sweet meltdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone did the math on reddit and concluded that buying 1E ships at MSRP plus a conversion kit is cheaper than buying all the 2E stuff at MSRP when released.

Couple problems with this are:
1. The Attack Shuttle is not currently sold separately, and is double-counted in expense if you have two Ghost expansions at $50 plus two nonexistent Attack Shuttle expansions at $15.
2. There will be new cardboard coming out with the rerelease of ships, and the price/quantity/size of the "wave kits" for conversion on new releases is not yet known.