Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Piell posted:

A centaur can ride on top of a centaur

Pls no Erotic Fantasy in the D&D thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
centaur cavalier

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Here's the DMG text, page 278:

quote:

Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.

A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Goliaths should be able to wield a weapon 1 sized larger for free imo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Novum posted:

They should be able to dual wield 2h swords

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Hell yes my dude

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Novum posted:

I agree and would probably rule in favor, just because more options for scaling damage are cool and I like the sound of a big dude with a really big sword and if you think 2d12 is crazy, have you seen what a wizard can do???

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, reach is common on > Medium creatures, but it's not ubiquitous and there doesn't seem to be a rule about it. Same with more damage.

Enlarge can make you (and your weapons) grow 1 size category, which gives you advantage on strength checks and saves,but doesn't extend your reach. Your weapons don't do double damage either, it's only +1d4.

As far as Centaurs go, they've still got human upper bodies and arms, so I'm not sure why a size L PC centaur would have to get extra reach without a reach weapon.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 15, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree and would probably rule in favor, just because more options for scaling damage are cool and I like the sound of a big dude with a really big sword and if you think 2d12 is crazy, have you seen what a wizard can do???

I would say they can if they make it past a strength threshold. Maybe like 15 to use a one handed large weapon as a two handed weapon, and 17 to use large weapons normally. And I would say any race with the powerful build trait can do it. (Which would put Orcs more on part with Half Orcs.)

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, reach is common on > Medium creatures, but it's not ubiquitous and there doesn't seem to be a rule about it. Same with more damage.

Enlarge can make you (and your weapons) grow 1 size category, which gives you advantage on strength checks and saves,but doesn't extend your reach. Your weapons don't do double damage either, it's only +1d4.

As far as Centaurs go, they've still got human upper bodies and arms, so I'm not sure why a size L PC centaur would have to get extra reach without a reach weapon.

Well the monster manual version does not get that. So you are right I doubt a L PC centaur would ether.

Although the increase in reach for a monster seems to come from being huge not from being large. Most weapon using huge monsters like giants have 10 ft reach, while the large things like Ogres have 5 ft.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 15, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Being larger in 5e does affect reach and damage. It's why no races playable races are large by default.

AlphaDog posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the monster manual version does not get that.

Monster Manual, page 38 posted:

Pike. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit : 9 (1d10 + 4) piercing damage .
Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage .
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150/600 ft, one target. Hit : 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

:sigh:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 15, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I stated earlier that Centaurs and Driders were exceptions due to their human sized Torsos.

I am not even arguing with you here, I was was saying the Monster Manual Centaur does not get extra reach, so I agreed with you that a large PC version would not get extra reach or damage.

Also the Pike is a reach weapon.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: Snark removed. I wouldn't have posted anything about the topic at all except that you said

MonsterEnvy posted:

Being larger in 5e does affect reach and damage. It's why no races playable races are large by default.

That can't be the reason playable centaurs have to be M, because centaurs don't get extra reach.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 15, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

e: Snark removed. I wouldn't have posted anything about the topic at all except that you said

That can't be the reason playable centaurs have to be M, because centaurs don't get extra reach.

True enough. I suppose the other reason would be they want all playable races to fit on 5 foot squares.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

I stated earlier that Centaurs and Driders were exceptions due to their human sized Torsos.

What do their torsos have to do with hoof attacks?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why do so few racial attacks scale. Surely a minotaur with 13 levels of xp has used his headbutt a few times?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

What do their torsos have to do with hoof attacks?

Nothing. But the hooves seem to do 1d6 damage each just done at the same time.

I see it done for a few other monsters. Were instead of having individual "claw" attacks like some monsters, they just attack with their "claws" which does an extra die of damage.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nothing. But the hooves seem to do 1d6 damage each just done at the same time.

Right, but only 5ft range. Weren’t you talking about range as a consequence of size?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

Right, but only 5ft range. Weren’t you talking about range as a consequence of size?

Once you get to Huge attacks with weapons tend to get a 10 ft reach. At large it is few and far between with most ranges still being 5 ft. There are exceptions with the long limbed creatures.

But the average looks to be Medium and Large tend to have 5ft reaches, Huge and Gargantuan average 10 ft. (Though there are very few gargantuan creatures that don't have a wide assortment of limbs with varying reaches.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2018

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What are some cool dice

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Average Bear posted:

What are some cool dice

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Average Bear posted:

What are some cool dice

https://www.artisandice.com/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Artisan’s stuff is neat, but expect error margins on at least the numbers to be higher than you might expect, and expect it to take an unknowable amount of time. They just partially fulfilled a friend’s Kickstarter backer reward from 5 years ago.

That said, I like my Jack Daniels barrel dice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'd believe that. Everyone I know that makes niche stuff with weird materials has constant supply and production issues.

That said, my own experience with that company was that my stuff arrived without quality issues and in the time I expected from reading their FAQ.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Go to a Gem shop and buy some semi precious stone d6s for fantasy. Then buy a new coffee table because you actually used them.

For Sci Fi buy a funky retro case for your phone and ask your Google Assist/Siri/Cortana to roll X Y sided dice(3 10 sided, etc.)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

https://twitter.com/cmgaldre/status/996159014055493632?s=21

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Average Bear posted:

What are some cool dice
Semi-serious post: I like Chessex speckled dice.

I have sets of Ninja, Recon, Stealth, and the discontinued Veronica (:rip:). The oversized d20s are very pretty fun to roll too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Any ideas to spice up the flameskull encounter in the mines of LMoP?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So one of the things that always bugged me with trying to "re-import" the Healing Surge system into 5e was that I could never find a satisfying way to figure out how many Healing Surges a character should have, which is supposed to be based on your class and Con mod, but does not increase with levels.

I finally got it: You have Healing Surges equal to half the maximum value of your class's hit die, plus your Constitution modifier.

So a Fighter with 14/+2 Con would have [5+2] = 7 Healing Surges
A Wizard with 12/+1 Con would have [3+1] = 4 Healing Surges
and so on

The rules for this would be about the same:

* remove the Healing Hit Dice mechanics entirely
* your Healing Surge Value is 25% of your maximum HP, rounded down
* whenever you're hit with a healing effect, you gain the HP from that like you normally would, plus an amount equal to your Healing Surge Value, and then you lose one Healing Surge
* whenever you take a Short Rest, you can spend as many Healing Surges you want
* if you have zero Healing Surges, you cannot gain any more HP from healing effects
* whenever you take a Long Rest, you regain all your Healing Surges

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Flameskulls tied to a normal skeleton or another beast.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

kidkissinger posted:

Don't hint at the rejuvenation effect and have it TPK them with a fireball during a long rest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

So one of the things that always bugged me with trying to "re-import" the Healing Surge system into 5e was that I could never find a satisfying way to figure out how many Healing Surges a character should have, which is supposed to be based on your class and Con mod, but does not increase with levels.

I finally got it: You have Healing Surges equal to half the maximum value of your class's hit die, plus your Constitution modifier.
Multiclassing :v:

Might want to exempt a few things like Lay on Hands, and tag Cure Light Wounds as consuming either the caster or castee's surges.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

have this thing in the fight

he spits out more flameskulls, obviously

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Our party member, in their first real combat encounter as a new character after their previous character got murdered in one round by werewolf crits, got murdered in one round by shadow demon crits in strahds basement. Everyone else was completely unscathed, naturally

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Farg posted:

Our party member, in their first real combat encounter as a new character after their previous character got murdered in one round by werewolf crits, got murdered in one round by shadow demon crits in strahds basement. Everyone else was completely unscathed, naturally

I would just laugh at that.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Splicer posted:

Multiclassing :v:

Maybe pull the 13th Age trick wherein Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians, and Paladins count as "Skilled Warriors" in terms of multiclassing. But where that game applies that term for the purposes of weapon damage dice here you would impose a penalty for people that mix caster and martial classes. So a Bard/Fighter wouldn't have a full Surge load, but a Fighter would he able to dip Rogue for Expertise or Barb for Reckless Attack without digging into their Surge Value.

*obviously I'm talking about the spirit of the 13A rule. I think Rogues were excluded from the Skilled Warrior list but I would include them here, for instance.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Farg posted:

Back in the 3.5 days we had a guy who would constantly die, partially due to forgetting he has tactical options but mostly just bad luck.

The DM eventually turned his shifter ranger into Wolverine and gave him 1hp/round regen. Also armblades.

He left his ranger companion wolverine alone in a locked room for like a week while we did something diplomatic (he forgot he had a pet), so the dm had him do some animal handling to get his companion back. Not serious, just for narrative reasons.

He proceeded to lose a fight vs his own companion and the rest of us calmed it down.

It would have been gamebreaking if it was anybody else, buuuuut...

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Don't hint at the rejuvenation effect and have it TPK them with a fireball during a long rest.

One of my players picked up a defeated dormant flameskull and put it in his backpack. A couple of sessions+levels later (when a fireball wasn't likely to one-shot them), I made it explode his backpack and scatter all his stuff all over the ground.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cassa posted:

Why do so few racial attacks scale. Surely a minotaur with 13 levels of xp has used his headbutt a few times?

Because 5e? Minotaurs previously had this ability:

4th Edition posted:

Goring charge
(minotaur racial power)
Encounter

Standard Action

Melee 1

Effect: You charge and make the following attack in place of a melee basic attack.

Target: one creature
Attack: Strength + 4, Constitution + 4, or Dexterity + 4 vs. AC
The bonus to this attack roll increases from +4 to +6 at 11th level, and to +8 at 21st level.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage, and you knock the target prone.
Level 11: 2d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.
Level 21: 3d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.[PH3:10]
Goring charge is a racial encounter power gained by minotaurs at 1st level.

Change it to once per short or long rest and “stat +4” to add proficiency bonus and it should be good, right?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Last night, after two years off we finally played the last session of the first 5e game we started. It went quickly and there was some deus ex machina involved but we completed our quest cleanly and ended on a huge cliffhanger. Maybe we'll never go back but at least it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My paladin is level 16 now. Are any of the level 1-4 spells worth spending an action casting or should i just keep smiting?