Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Thundercloud posted:

Give it a couple of weeks and people will work out a good anti deck for it.

Two people at my club are practising decks tonight to build counters, as we're all going to the LGT in a few weeks. Me? I just want to hit things with my tweaked Fiends deck :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hitting things is where it’s at.

We should grab a beer at LGT, I’ll be there somewhere at the bottom of the rankings but deffo there for goon meetz.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Hitting things is where it’s at.

We should grab a beer at LGT, I’ll be there somewhere at the bottom of the rankings but deffo there for goon meetz.

Definitely! And I'm still up for some warm-up games beforehand.

And don't worry - after seeing some of the decks, and talking to somebody who has like 5 of those crystal trophies, I'll probably be joining you at the bottom somewhere :D

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So as much as I wanna keep up with this, my schedule just does not allow for it at all. I've got the core set and the first two expansion (Skeletons and Orcs). It's been played a grand total of like 3 times. Minis are cleaned and assembled but otherwise untouched. Looking to ship it to someone in the US for 90. PM me if you're interested.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Last night two of our club's most dedicated players tried the Grand Clash-winning Katophrane deck. On the offence was somebody who has won multiple tournaments up and down the country, and runs a pretty solid blog on Shadespire tactics/decks etc. On the defence was our resident defensive SCE player.

The verdict?

The Katophrane deck pretty much plays itself. SCE admitted he wasn't playing optimally, made some silly mistakes, and was still coming out on top. It changes the game from battling over 3 rounds to having to win in 2 otherwise you'll lose out on the glory in the third. They tried a best of 3 with a Skaven deck, and then a Katophrane-oriented Fiends deck. Neither made a dent, and the Fiends game was called after some terrible dice - it could work but relies waaay too much on rolling dice, when the SCE deck doesn't.

I'm not going to be too pessimistic because I'm hoping a FAQ will solve this, but it does mean that I'm pretty disheartened about the upcoming LGT.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That’s depressing. Hopefully enough folk will be running normal lists as this sounds incredibly boring.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been asked to run a Shadespire league for 8-10 teams, but I have no idea how to go about it.
Is round robin dumb for the inital season, when we don't know who's good at the game?
I'm thinking that we'll use points for wins/losses for the rankings, but I need a tie-breaker. I was considering keeping a running total of the difference between winner and loser glory across all games for that.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Tie breaker is usually glory difference.

Usually wins, then losses, then glory difference.

So winning 8 games, losing none, getting 80 glory is typical top few places at a big tourny.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another question that might be silly. What is you warband? Figures + character cards + upgrades played on them, or are all power and objective cards included? My game group disagrees on it so an actual ruling would be nice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woo, got to play my Orks against my coworker's Reavers during lunch today.

Between looking at the rules, setting up the board, and being distracted by other coworkers feigned interest we only got to finish 1 round / start round 2. I took out one of his guys, Bonekutta failed to kill the second one rolling 3 "Support" faces for his attack, and then he killed Gurzag.

I didn't even look at my cards, just picked 10 Upgrades + 10 Ploys and slapped them together, and didn't think about which board edge I connected so things could have gone very differently had I put literally any thought into it, but in any case I had fun.

Just too bad I have jury duty for the rest of this week and next week so I won't get to play again soon. Oh well.

I'm probably going to pick up the base game for myself.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Woo, got to play my Orks against my coworker's Reavers during lunch today.

Between looking at the rules, setting up the board, and being distracted by other coworkers feigned interest we only got to finish 1 round / start round 2. I took out one of his guys, Bonekutta failed to kill the second one rolling 3 "Support" faces for his attack, and then he killed Gurzag.

I didn't even look at my cards, just picked 10 Upgrades + 10 Ploys and slapped them together, and didn't think about which board edge I connected so things could have gone very differently had I put literally any thought into it, but in any case I had fun.

Just too bad I have jury duty for the rest of this week and next week so I won't get to play again soon. Oh well.

I'm probably going to pick up the base game for myself.

It's a really neat game. One of the best things to come out of GW in a long time IMO.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's fantastic.

My one wish with this game is that there was a better way to get friends involved who aren't familiar enough with the cards that they can do deckbuilding. I have to build all the decks in advance when I want to play with them. I should try out some of the precons that GW posted on their site to make the building process easier.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's a problem in most deck construction game, but worse here since you can't just buy a starter pack like in Magic. At least a there are a lot of decks on GW's site now so it's pretty easy to build a throwaway deck for someone to try.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The stuff that comes with each warband is decent. Unless you are doing tournaments that is basically enough.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Especially for orcs. They might like some of the upgrades or ploys from the starter set or other warband boxes, but they don't really give a poo poo about standard objectives. There are definitely some worth having, but I think that, out of all the warbands, orcs work the best straight out of the box.

The new Khorne warband probably plays pretty similarly and will also be alright on its own. I haven't played with/against them yet so I have no idea of this is actually true. I think a gimmick dog deck might be kind of fun though.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
https://twitter.com/shadeglass_blog/status/995366279505678337?s=21

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gently caress yes

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Oh hell yes, spooky ghosts

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wait, are those going to be a new warband or just new AoS models? I will absolutely pick up a spooky ghost warband

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Knorth posted:

Wait, are those going to be a new warband or just new AoS models? I will absolutely pick up a spooky ghost warband

Unclear but they have very Shadespire like bases.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah, well finger-crossed then. None of the other warbands have really piqued my interest but I'd like to pick up something other than my infinite skeleton crew at some point and those ghosts look freaking good

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's a pretty sure bet since they already previewed a nighthaunt card

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can Skritch Spiteclaw's Action spawn a dude on an enemy territory starting hex? The text just says "any starting hex"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Can Skritch Spiteclaw's Action spawn a dude on an enemy territory starting hex? The text just says "any starting hex"

Yes. The city is infested!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

This week's challenge is - can I get my Fiends painted enough for Friday to still be able to tweak my deck at an event the night before?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’m trying to finish my Orcs for the B.B. tourney and only once they are done can I give any time to my Stormcast. They are close to usable as is but I will be really disappointed with myself if I don’t have them looking better in time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like they're trying to tone down relic decks. Dunno if it'll work perfectly but I'm glad to see them addressing things relatively quickly (for GW).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/15/may-14th-warhammer-underworlds-beta-rules-announcedgw-homepage-post-2/

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

We've already had tears about the beta rule from a guy in our Shadespire community.

He's spent the past few weeks obstinately refusing to acknowledge that maybe the Relics SCE deck is OP, then taking it personally when people have complained about Relics in general and is now throwing a little shitfit because he's been working on a Relic deck all that time.

I really hope they use the beta rule for the LGT.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

We've already had tears about the beta rule from a guy in our Shadespire community.

He's spent the past few weeks obstinately refusing to acknowledge that maybe the Relics SCE deck is OP, then taking it personally when people have complained about Relics in general and is now throwing a little shitfit because he's been working on a Relic deck all that time.

I really hope they use the beta rule for the LGT.

I love the salt coming from the Relic players in the Shadespire group on Facebook. "It was counterable!" Yeah, if you spend a large chunk of your already tight twenty card deck to add in cards that specifically metagame against Relics and weaken your game against everything else!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

And even then it came down to a couple of coin flips that were both counterable ploys to stop it going off.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

So Shadespire... Relative to other miniature games (x-wing, Warhammer, infinity, etc.) seems relatively low cost.... Is this true?

I play X-Wing very competitively and still have managed to mostly only buy rebel ships... Is this doable with Shadespire? Can you get away with just buying the starter and Warband you like? I probably won't play cutthroat competitive with it. Maybe a league or something if they have those...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Like X-wing, to simply play the cost is low. If you're worried about making the best deck possible you'll have to buy all the expansions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm also selling the core set, orcs and undead if you're interested.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cobaltshift posted:

So Shadespire... Relative to other miniature games (x-wing, Warhammer, infinity, etc.) seems relatively low cost.... Is this true?

I play X-Wing very competitively and still have managed to mostly only buy rebel ships... Is this doable with Shadespire? Can you get away with just buying the starter and Warband you like? I probably won't play cutthroat competitive with it. Maybe a league or something if they have those...

You can do very well with just a couple warbands and the box set. I think the Orc expansion has some of the best general includes like Duel of Wits and Ploymaster. You can take a look at various decks here and it shows you which expansions the cards were from

https://www.underworldsdb.com/share...390,389,420,414
https://warhammerunderworlds.com/deck-guides/

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Booyah- posted:

You can do very well with just a couple warbands and the box set. I think the Orc expansion has some of the best general includes like Duel of Wits and Ploymaster. You can take a look at various decks here and it shows you which expansions the cards were from

https://www.underworldsdb.com/share...390,389,420,414
https://warhammerunderworlds.com/deck-guides/

Good to hear, I was thinking I'd play orcs anyways!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Even buying all the warband packs as they come out, the total investment to date is about £150 at full retail, over a timescale of nearly a year. That’s very much cheaper than WH40k, Infinity, or Warmachine in my experience. From what I hear it’s about the same per-pack cost as Xwing in that a warband from a discount retailer is essentially pocket money prices (around £14 IIRC)

Just finished playing in my first Shadespire tournament at the London Grand Tournament. 4 matches, W1 D2 L1 and finished 25/35 so a pretty consistently mediocre performance, but my games all felt close and with clear indications of how to do better - except when playing a passive Stormcast player who didn’t know the rules and kept thinking there was another round in the game (first time I allowed him to convince me, second time I was having none of it.) His English was poor so he didn’t really understand some of the cards, which is clearly not his fault and not a big deal but it’s a pretty huge handicap. Even so I only drew against him, so maybe it’s not the kiss of death I am assuming it to be :sweatdrop:

My warband was nominated for best painted for some reason, despite being very much work in progress. I put a lot of care into the faces which I guess paid off - as Eavy Metal has said all along, the face is the focal point of a model! ;-*

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cobaltshift posted:

Good to hear, I was thinking I'd play orcs anyways!

Oh and for what it's worth, there will very likely be a new core set out soon with different boards and new warbands. The last two stormcast and khorne ones finished off this "wave"

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Booyah- posted:

Oh and for what it's worth, there will very likely be a new core set out soon with different boards and new warbands. The last two stormcast and khorne ones finished off this "wave"

Of course. I just bought it today at my FLGS =P

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cobaltshift posted:

Of course. I just bought it today at my FLGS =P

That doesn't mean it's invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah it won't supercede that or anything, and the warbands in the first core are really good anyway.