Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Atreus from God of War is probably my favourite teen in any video game ever. He has his sullen teen moments, but he also fuckin' kicks rear end too. Later in the game when (spoiler for near-end stuff) you and your boy are loving up Baldur it felt so good when you alternate between you punching, to him delivering a mid-air kick, back to you with an uppercut. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
The end of God of War 3 left the world in turmoil directly because of Kratos's stupid quest for vengenace. He was told about the consequences of his actions but naturally didn't care. Gotta get that revenge.

"Everything is dying because of you. The sun is gone. The oceans swallowed the land. Disease infects what remains."

And that was before he killed Zeus. Greece and presumably most of the continent is a crater.

He had to walk like 2000 miles to find a land that was liveable afterwards. The new game shows he regrets his past which is laudable, but prior to that he was basically the least justified protagonist ever.

---------

I've been playing Prey recently. It has a weapon called the Gloo gun which you can use to encase enemies in sticky movement affecting gel. It can also create big blobs of semi-permanent climbable terrain which with a little creativity and some increased jumping skill points you can use to access areas that you shouldn't have access to earlier than you otherwise would. It gives a sense of freedom when exploring the space station the game is based in and makes it feel much less linear than it perhaps is.

Its fun trying to 'sequence break' a game, though I realise this is all as intended by the developers.

Cheshire Puss has a new favorite as of 23:01 on May 14, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The first thing I did when I got the gloo gun was climb a nonfunctional elevator shaft. The devs were fully aware of what it could do, and did most of their actual progress gating with key cards. Which is kind of a shame; I'd've liked to see a version of the game where you really could go nearly anywhere in the station right from the start if you knew how to use your bag of tricks effectively. I understand why they didn't do that though; imagine the moaning if people sequence-broke into a lategame area and got pasted by the enemies there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

Having reinstalled Morrowind again, I'm loving some of the little fluff touches in this game. Like how House Telvanni, a member of which you have to visit during the main story, are such wizard supremacist assholes that they build their houses without stairs and if you can't fly, well then gently caress you you not-flying peasant.

I always figured the Telvanni would be cool with that. It's a clever solution to the problem. As incredibly horrible as they are there are reasons they're basically everybody's favorite house to join. Their fluff is just so neat it makes the other houses boring. Redoran is especially dull.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Cheshire Puss posted:

The end of God of War 3 left the world in turmoil directly because of Kratos's stupid quest for vengenace. He was told about the consequences of his actions but naturally didn't care. Gotta get that revenge.

"Everything is dying because of you. The sun is gone. The oceans swallowed the land. Disease infects what remains."

And that was before he killed Zeus. Greece and presumably most of the continent is a crater.

He had to walk like 2000 miles to find a land that was liveable afterwards. The new game shows he regrets his past which is laudable, but prior to that he was basically the least justified protagonist ever.

---------

I've been playing Prey recently. It has a weapon called the Gloo gun which you can use to encase enemies in sticky movement affecting gel. It can also create big blobs of semi-permanent climbable terrain which with a little creativity and some increased jumping skill points you can use to access areas that you shouldn't have access to earlier than you otherwise would. It gives a sense of freedom when exploring the space station the game is based in and makes it feel much less linear than it perhaps is.

Its fun trying to 'sequence break' a game, though I realise this is all as intended by the developers.

I really appreciated that Prey starts by giving you an ending choice in mind and then goes to slowly give reasons why your original decision may or may not be misguided.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first thing I did when I got the gloo gun was climb a nonfunctional elevator shaft. The devs were fully aware of what it could do, and did most of their actual progress gating with key cards. Which is kind of a shame; I'd've liked to see a version of the game where you really could go nearly anywhere in the station right from the start if you knew how to use your bag of tricks effectively. I understand why they didn't do that though; imagine the moaning if people sequence-broke into a lategame area and got pasted by the enemies there.

The speedrun of prey is basically this. They clip through those gates and finish the game in 7 minutes. The actual run is boring, because not much of the actual "game" is played, but its funny how simple mistakes from developers can turn the game inside out.

Heres a link, if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgei-2_Fq4

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
I posted this into the Dishonored thread, but it fits here too:
If you nonlethal Paolo and/or Byrne by putting them in the shipping containers, they get sent to Shindaerey Mining Company. Now, in DoTO, which gang is behind the Shindaerey North Quarry operations and what do they do to healthy, living people?

Also like how in D2, the asylum level has Vera Moray's stuff scattered around. Of course she would have gone to a sanatorium!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I always figured the Telvanni would be cool with that. It's a clever solution to the problem. As incredibly horrible as they are there are reasons they're basically everybody's favorite house to join. Their fluff is just so neat it makes the other houses boring. Redoran is especially dull.

What even is Redoran's deal because I actually don't know off of the top of my head. I know Hlaalu is basically in tight with the Dark Elf Mafia right?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hlaalu are the business guys that are real tight with the Imperials because of the money to be made and Redoran are the traditional honorable warrior guys.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My dumbass never found the way to get to the escape pod in the arboretum so I gloo gund my way to that first ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Fair warning about something in Prey; you absolutely shouldn't take the escape pod as your first ending. It spoils a lot more than it really should.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fair warning about something in Prey; you absolutely shouldn't take the escape pod as your first ending. It spoils a lot more than it really should.

Nah, totally go and do it. It's not spoilers, it's storytelling.

And yeah, I gloo-gunned my way to the escape pod too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Do everything you think of in Prey, especially if it sounds incredibly stupid because it'll probably work in some dumb but cool way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Glagha posted:

What even is Redoran's deal because I actually don't know off of the top of my head. I know Hlaalu is basically in tight with the Dark Elf Mafia right?

They're the most xenophobic of the great houses.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I think my favorite bit of sequence breaking is that the bug out bag December sends you after is there at the start of the game. So you can get pretty much every weapon aside from the Q-Beam by the time you first reach the lobby if you know what you're doing and think outside the box.

Sad lions posted:

I really appreciated that Prey starts by giving you an ending choice in mind and then goes to slowly give reasons why your original decision may or may not be misguided.

Push The Fat Guy is great because at the beginning of the game it's a really funny joke about the Trolley Problem but at the end it's a fantastic encapsulation of the game's themes and you realize exactly who it's referring to.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's obviously an ending and you have multiple characters telling you not to do it, if you took it when there was still so much to do you only have yourself to blame.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Hlaalu are the business guys that are real tight with the Imperials because of the money to be made and Redoran are the traditional honorable warrior guys.

They're also the public face of the Morag Tong/Brotherhood, aren't they? It's been ages and ages since I've played Morrowind.* The Telvanni own, though. They live in big weird mushroom towers, they're angry elitest wizard Smurfs.

*yo if anyone from bethesda is reading this i would pay like $20 easy for a good port of morrowind to the switch or ipad or anything chill

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Werong Bustope posted:

I can't stop laughing at this, picture and concept both.

I remember one of those mech games where people found a glitch which let them put like 50 giant artillery cannon on their mechs.

They'd start the game, aim up into the air at a specific spot and then totally annihilate the enemy team from the other side of the map while they were still at their spawn point.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

food court bailiff posted:

They're also the public face of the Morag Tong/Brotherhood, aren't they? It's been ages and ages since I've played Morrowind.* The Telvanni own, though. They live in big weird mushroom towers, they're angry elitest wizard Smurfs.

*yo if anyone from bethesda is reading this i would pay like $20 easy for a good port of morrowind to the switch or ipad or anything chill

Camona Tong, I think. The native-only, non-playable Morrowind crime syndicate/counter-part to the the thieves guild. They also had their fingers in the fighter's guild and were using that to wage a proxy war against the thieves guild.

Morag Tong were the semi-officially sanctioned assassin's group, who were in a secret war with the dark brotherhood.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 08:52 on May 15, 2018

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Camona Tong, I think. The native-only, non-playable Morrowind crime syndicate/counter-part to the the thieves guild. They also had their fingers in the fighter's guild and were using that to wage a proxy war against the thieves guild.

Morag Tong were the semi-officially sanctioned assassin's group, who were in a secret war with the dark brotherhood.

As cool as some of the dark brotherhood stuff in Oblivion and Skyrim was, the Morag Tong were kind of cool in that joining them gave you a get out of jail free card. An assassination could be done by walking up to a guy in broad daylight, beating him to death, then when the guards come you give them a piece of paper that says you were totally allowed to do that and they won't arrest you.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Favourite thing in a game right this moment : Skyrim chucking dead bodies into fast flowing rivers and cackling like a maniac watching them float downstream.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Do everything you think of in Prey, especially if it sounds incredibly stupid because it'll probably work in some dumb but cool way.

Prey is really cool because if you can think of something with the tools you are given, it almost certainly works. I can’t think of a single time where the game just went “nope”.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been playing Chronicon lately. It's a Diablo clone that has been in early access for years, but is continually updated by what I think is a one man team.

With Diablo clones, the basic formula has already been nailed down, so what really matters is how they differ from each other. All of the differences in Chronicon make this game stand out above the rest for me, but here's the short version:

• You get gold and experience bonuses for chaining kills, and, when you reach certain milestones on your killing spree, get a flash of bright red text on the screen saying BLOODBATH or DEVASTATION, depending on your kill streak. That's psychologically rewarding, but the fun part is that hitting milestones also creates explosions all around you, which is loving awesome. This gives combat a more frenetic feel than other clones I've played, and adds an extra layer to make otherwise repetitive Diablo clone combat exciting.
  • Leveling is fast. It's uncommon, but possible, to level up twice on the same kill streak. This nicely dovetails into...
  • Re-speccing is cheap, easy, and encouraged. Each of the four classes has four skill trees, all tied to a specific damage element. If you get bored of the tree you're diving into, a potion of re-spec costs virtually nothing and allows you to experiment with others. It keeps characters feeling fresh, and also alleviates the problem of running a poison based character into a poison resistant area: drink a potion, rebuild your skills for a couple of minutes, and now you can burn everything with fire.
  • Save and exit to desktop. Why doesn't every PC game have this? It's 20-goddamn-18. I like knowing that, if obligations call, I can leave with my progress saved in the time it takes to hit escape and click a button.

I had been keeping my eye on this game for a few years now, but always found the title card art and simple in-game art style a little off-putting, thinking it made the game look like yet another quick, cheaply made Steam knock-off. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger on it, though. It's really fun, and one I'd recommend for anyone looking for a new Diablo clone.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So Dead Rising 4 was utterly eviscerated at release for the sin of being different from two of the old games and obviously not being a super high budget flagship AAA title (see: that one Crowbcat video about completely incidental animation details) but as someone who enjoyed Dead Rising 3 it's giving me plenty to enjoy after getting it from Humble Monthly. One little thing I love about it is the Christmas setting, because one of the big disappointments with 3 was that the open world setting was mostly just boring Los Angeles concrete so the gaudy Christmas decorations and snow give it a lot more color while also giving you even more excuses to have weird poo poo to use as weapons littering the world.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember one of those mech games where people found a glitch which let them put like 50 giant artillery cannon on their mechs.

They'd start the game, aim up into the air at a specific spot and then totally annihilate the enemy team from the other side of the map while they were still at their spawn point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHripd6L8dM ?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I love how the cannons are all bending slighting to the side under their combined weight :allears:.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This is amazing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thank you!

I had a total blank on the name, spent ten minutes looking for variations of "war dogs" because I knew there was something doglike in the name.

To think there are some people who believe that glitches like this ruin a game. SMDH.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Favourite thing in a game right this moment : Skyrim chucking dead bodies into fast flowing rivers and cackling like a maniac watching them float downstream.

I prefer dragging bodies onto gentle slopes and watching them slide away. It's like bowling

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Pretty sure I've posted it before, but everything in Dark Messiah. If Skyrim had even a fraction of the fun of this game's combat, it'd actually be a good game. gently caress I might just replay it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mazerunner posted:

They weren't just semi-sanctioned they were literally an ancient tradition that was totally legal. That's why the writs happened and you could do that if you joined them. I think they were tied to religious traditions as well.

You're right about the camona tong. They were a native dunmer only mafia that had their fingers in a lot of pies. The fighters guild has you wreck thieves guild dudes for them multiple times and the quest lines of those guilds conflict in that you end up murdering high ranking members. The dudes you kill in Balmora after the guard captain's little story were also camonna tong. They're hard to touch as local authorities are often in the take and protect them. They weren't a counterpart to the thieves guild as they were more thugs and general criminals rather than just thieves. The thieves guild was like hey we're thieves and know we're criminals but we aren't violent thugs and murderers, you know? The camonna tong however were.

The conflict is one thing I kind of miss about morrowind. Doing one line could totally lock you out of another. Later games generally threw that away. The various factions didn't even meaningfully interact all that much in oblivion which seemed silly.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 17:05 on May 15, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thank you!

I had a total blank on the name, spent ten minutes looking for variations of "war dogs" because I knew there was something doglike in the name.

To think there are some people who believe that glitches like this ruin a game. SMDH.

I knew it would be Chromehounds, that was such a good idea ruined by such a bad execution.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jeza posted:

Pretty sure I've posted it before, but everything in Dark Messiah. If Skyrim had even a fraction of the fun of this game's combat, it'd actually be a good game. gently caress I might just replay it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

Dark Messiah is probably the only game I've ever played multiple times just to experience all the classes, and not for trophies or whatever.

Playing as a thief was so satisfying in that game, being able to take down an entire room of enemies from the shadows with backstabs

If they re-made it with upgraded textures n stuff I'd probably play the hell out of it again.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They weren't just semi-sanctioned they were literally an ancient tradition that was totally legal. That's why the writs happened and you could do that if you joined them. I think they were tied to religious traditions as well.

You're right about the camona tong. They were a native dunmer only mafia that had their fingers in a lot of pies. The fighters guild has you wreck thieves guild dudes for them multiple times and the quest lines of those guilds conflict in that you end up murdering high ranking members. The dudes you kill in Balmora after the guard captain's little story were also camonna tong. They're hard to touch as local authorities are often in the take and protect them. They weren't a counterpart to the thieves guild as they were more thugs and general criminals rather than just thieves. The thieves guild was like hey we're thieves and know we're criminals but we aren't violent thugs and murderers, you know? The camonna tong however were.

The conflict is one thing I kind of miss about morrowind. Doing one line could totally lock you out of another. Later games generally threw that away. The various factions didn't even meaningfully interact all that much in oblivion which seemed silly.

Having done the Mages Guild questlines recently, I love that one of the major quest givers in Balmora is just a huge rear end in a top hat who practically all of her quests are shaking down non-guild mages and eliminating rivals for her. One of them is just like "Hey this one guy wants an escort to a nearby town and he's gonna let me look at his notes if you do. I don't really give a gently caress though just go ahead and kill him and leave him in a ditch for all I care just bring me his notes." I found out later that if you take the "respectable" route for her quests and don't murder people despite her asking you to you can later frame her up as a spy and get her kicked out of the guild.

Also that another quest giver who I think is straight up the leader of the guild is a lazy poo poo and if you ask him for a quest he gives you a bullshit impossible task of "hey uh I dunno figure out what happened to the dwemer okay bye" and if you actually do it somehow he pretty much reacts like "oh gently caress you actually did it."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

Having done the Mages Guild questlines recently, I love that one of the major quest givers in Balmora is just a huge rear end in a top hat who practically all of her quests are shaking down non-guild mages and eliminating rivals for her. One of them is just like "Hey this one guy wants an escort to a nearby town and he's gonna let me look at his notes if you do. I don't really give a gently caress though just go ahead and kill him and leave him in a ditch for all I care just bring me his notes." I found out later that if you take the "respectable" route for her quests and don't murder people despite her asking you to you can later frame her up as a spy and get her kicked out of the guild.

Also that another quest giver who I think is straight up the leader of the guild is a lazy poo poo and if you ask him for a quest he gives you a bullshit impossible task of "hey uh I dunno figure out what happened to the dwemer okay bye" and if you actually do it somehow he pretty much reacts like "oh gently caress you actually did it."

Oh yeah I remember her. That's another thing that morrowind did. Not everybody was on the up and up and you could actually do things about it which actually changed things. Your actions had actual effects.

That was trebonius. He wasn't from vvardenfel and nobody really liked him but he was put in charge by the imperial. He was a very powerful and talented wizard but otherwise a total dingus. You had to fight him to get put in charge of the guild.

If you finish his first quest he then asks you to wipe out the telvanni.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everyone who enjoyed dishonored should go back and play Arkane’s classic first-person botherer starring donkey kong

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Telvanni are just neck deep in so much of the weird lore that makes Morrowind fantastic. They are generally awful, terrible people, but in a very morrowind/dunmer way. I do actually like Redoran alright though (their giant crab house is nice), Hlaalu is the one I've never cared much for.

Now that I'm dropping Zestiria, I might just play Morrowind again. All this Morrowind talk has gotten to me. Its the only open world game I've ever really fallen into, I just enjoy the world/atmosphere of it so much. I really hate the leveling system though, but I guess that is what mods are for.

In addition to the weird, wondrous world though, I'd say the best "little thing" about Morrowind for me has to be how everyone has their own version of both the story and of Morrowind's history.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MrAptronym posted:

Telvanni are just neck deep in so much of the weird lore that makes Morrowind fantastic. They are generally awful, terrible people, but in a very morrowind/dunmer way. I do actually like Redoran alright though (their giant crab house is nice), Hlaalu is the one I've never cared much for.

Now that I'm dropping Zestiria, I might just play Morrowind again. All this Morrowind talk has gotten to me. Its the only open world game I've ever really fallen into, I just enjoy the world/atmosphere of it so much. I really hate the leveling system though, but I guess that is what mods are for.

In addition to the weird, wondrous world though, I'd say the best "little thing" about Morrowind for me has to be how everyone has their own version of both the story and of Morrowind's history.

I liked that the solved the "you are the chosen one" trope by making it so that there were a bunch of them and you just happen to be the one who is playing the game right now.

Morrowind's Top Neverarine!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They also give you a plot justified opportunity to actually do open world stuff by not constantly dropping urgent "Chosen one! Run off to Important Place and do Important Thing RIGHT NOW to save the world!" quests on you and instead straight up telling you "hey, go do something for a while and establish yourself I gotta look into this thing."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

They also give you a plot justified opportunity to actually do open world stuff by not constantly dropping urgent "Chosen one! Run off to Important Place and do Important Thing RIGHT NOW to save the world!" quests on you and instead straight up telling you "hey, go do something for a while and establish yourself I gotta look into this thing."

It also makes perfect sense for you to be running around getting to the top of every organization. You're the nerevarine of course you're the boss of everything. It also easily explains all the game breaking poo poo you could do because you're the reincarnation of an almost god.

Not having time limits makes sense as well because good old dagoth ur is playing the super long game. I mean he's immortal and divine now. Why rush things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Having mostly in game directions towards goals and not being able to just warp to the nearest point to your destination every time you have a quest also encourages you to poke around and stop by things. Exploration in Morrowind feels a lot more like exploring than in Oblivion/skyrim.