Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Simon Spurrier was writing Coda.

The shop didn't have any copies for the wall, and I forgot to pre-order so rip me on that one.

Death or Glory is great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Saladin Ahmad's indie comic is Abbott. You should also read that :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The problem i have with Abbott is that i dont give a poo poo about the magic part and its dumb as hell and it's not interesting in the slightest but i love the idea of just a regular crime book of a black woman crime journalist in the 70s

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

I thought Simon Spurrier was writing Coda.

The shop didn't have any copies for the wall, and I forgot to pre-order so rip me on that one.

Death or Glory is great though.

You're correct. Coda is still good.

As is Abbott!

site posted:

The problem i have with Abbott is that i dont give a poo poo about the magic part and its dumb as hell and it's not interesting in the slightest but i love the idea of just a regular crime book of a black woman crime journalist in the 70s
I half agree with this, though. When the magic stuff started at the end of the first issue I was a little let down. I was really excited for a straight crime book. I'm still enjoying it a lot, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saladin Ahmed owns. I want him to get a really popular character next.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading black bolt i think saladin can write amazing work, but between abbott and exiles which im about to drop if 4 continues to be mediocre as hell i dunno what he's being constrained by but it's not doing him any favors

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

the nerf of speed tankmen reads like 'oops, i didn't see how that could totally loving break the combat after i said flying tankmen were the worst thing.'

hold on... does leah have her leg back?

She never lost the leg, it's just partially severed but hanging on at battleship++ toughness

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Read a stack of trades yesterday.

Sexcastle is loving awesome. I love Kyle Starks and his action movie over the top comic ridiculousness.

Fafnir and the Grey Mouser isn’t really an indie book, but it’s old and odd enough that I think it fits here. It was good, but not great. Off brand Conan + Pal. When Simonson jumps on for a couple issues the art improves. Chaykin is fine, but he’s no Walt.

Buzzkill is an indie book written by Donnie Cates. It’s about a hero who gets his power from gettting a buzz. He ends up going sober and the book kind of selves into that. It’s all a bit rushed, but interesting.

I also picked up the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas adaptation and I’m looking forward to cracking that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jordan7hm posted:

Fafnir and the Grey Mouser isn’t really an indie book, but it’s old and odd enough that I think it fits here. It was good, but not great. Off brand Conan + Pal. When Simonson jumps on for a couple issues the art improves. Chaykin is fine, but he’s no Walt.

It's not off brand, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are contemporary to Conan and just as important to the fantasy genre. It's an adaption of books by Fritz Leiber. You might like the later series with an adapted script by Chaykin and art by Mike Mignola better.

Personally I think Leiber's stories are better than Conan.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 13, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, it might sound laughable now but the Lankhmar stories actually brought a lot of variety and dare I say it, quasi-literacy to what was at the time a pretty pulpy genre. Make no mistake, they weren't Hamlet or anything, but the dialogue, world building, and actual character development were a breath of fresh air for sword and sorcery pulpiness in the late 60s. Just look at Scott Lynch; he's basically been riding the corpse of Leiber's work for the last 15 years so the ideas are still compelling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In crappy news no one wants to hear but is related to indie comics, noted internet douchebag, Diversity & Comics, made an indiegogo for a generic-as-gently caress comic book "to own the libs" or something. Sadly, the indiegogo has already amassed 200,000+ USD. On the positive side, he has self-owned himself so far.

First, he has decided to make this a hardcopy only sale. That's not the wisest choice when crowdfunding a book that isn't even written yet. You usually try to include digital sales and "$1 just to support" to give you some "buffer" money where you don't need to produce a product per customer. $1 just to support is essentially free money. Digital purchases have no per unit cost: you just give them a coupon for Comixology or something and call it a day. gently caress, you can just send a mass e-mail with a dropbox link or just put a dropbox link in an update. He has opted to do neither of these. Every backer is entitled to a hardcover, full-color copy of the book. This could potentially end up hurting him, especially since the book isn't finished yet. However, as you know, the per unit cost of a book goes down with margins of scale so perhaps this is a moot point.

Secondly, he lost his publisher. He had a publisher lined up for the book, Antarctic Press. Some retailers told Antarctic Press they didn't want to buy the book due to D&C's online behavior. D&C responded by going on twitter and saying "I've gone to these place's facebook pages and tracked down the store owner and their employee's identities and addresses. We need to send a message" or something like that. Shortly after, Antarctic Press dropped publication of Jawbreakers, D&C's book. D&C claims, and I wish I were making GBS threads you, that this is all a conspiracy by comic writer Mark Waid, who D&C alleges (with the coherence of an Infowar's episode) secretly threatened the publisher over the phone. Antarctic Press has denied the insane conspiracy theory.

The guy has also thrown in t-shirts, posters, custom covers by Ethan Van Sciver, and a bunch of other stuff onto the project, as well as extending the length of the book far past the original plans.

I would rather this all blow up in D&C's face as D&C is a transphobic, racist, homophobic bigot who has run a harassment campaign against PoC, gay, trans, etc. comic workers. Worth noting that the last time alt-right comic fans "backed a comic to own the libs" (that was "Alt-Hero" and it's associated "universe") it amassed 250,000+...and the creator, the guy who did sad puppies, ran off with the money after a month.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You should follow this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728&pagenumber=42&perpage=40

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I didn't realize we had this. I apologize for making GBS threads up this thread.

To lighten things up then, I bought Walter Simonson's Ragnarok. I just started reading it and it's very, very good. Though, the binding is too tight: I always hate when you have to work to read the words in the middle. But, the story and art is great. It feels like an alternate ending to his run on Thor, in a way.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Deadly Class TV show trailer.

Looks like they nailed the aesthetic, though I'm not sure how the rest of it will translate. I look forward to Syfy cancelling it after 3 seasons regardless of quality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess you're saying three seasons cause of The Expanse, but I'd say that's a pretty sweet spot for TV shows. Things usually outstay their welcome after about that time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 16, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#FiveSeasonsAndAMovie

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm going to need to see where the second issue goes, but Ennis's new book from Aftershock, A Walk Through Hell, has one of the most shocking opening scenes of any book I've seen this year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah that was dark as hell. Good intro for a mini although Ennis still can't stop making "jokes" about rape

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I'm going to need to see where the second issue goes, but Ennis's new book from Aftershock, A Walk Through Hell, has one of the most shocking opening scenes of any book I've seen this year.

Looked it up in Comixology to see if the preview had the first few ages and it did.

Jesus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

serious :nms:, and not in the typical Crossed way, though Ennis being involved makes it feel gross by context

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 16, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ennis? Pass.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I can’t even begin to imagine how much work must have gone into the first half of this months WicDiv. There’s a lot to pore over there...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

YEAH.

loving Ananke/Persephone.

Also I finally started tackling my backlog which had like 4 Curse Words books. That was a ride.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So what did this say? The tweet is gone and from the replies to this post it seems pretty cryptic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

So what did this say? The tweet is gone and from the replies to this post it seems pretty cryptic.

I *think* he mentioned a delay on the next issue, and there's only a couple left?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh man, this is going to be the new S.H.E.I.L.D. Are we going to need to wait 6 years for the finale?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ether was good this week. I’m glad it’s back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IUG posted:

Oh man, this is going to be the new S.H.E.I.L.D. Are we going to need to wait 6 years for the finale?
Nah, from what I recall, he said was making the last couple issues extra-sized, which obviously means Coker needs more time to draw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Look, he needs the extra time to get his lawyers to prevent Marvel from releasing SHIELD #5, it's very important.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was thinking of reading Hellboy, but That Is A Shitload of Books. Where do you even start?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Library Edition #1. Then #2. #3 is probably a good follow up. Etc, etc.

If you mean intertwined with BPRD, Abe Sapian, etc.? I dunno, guess by trade release order. Really, as long as you read them in volume order, you'll be fine. And to be fair, there's a lot of skipping around chronologically (retro B.P.R.D. stuff was published along side the 'contemporary' stories, along with some Lobster Johnson stories which take place before most stores, etc.) If you want to read everything, Wikipedia has an actually fairly comprehensive list and date for each issue, book, volume, etc. The only necessary books (the backbone of the world) is Hellboy, and eventually B.P.R.D. I can't speak for every Hellboy related comic, but for the most part everything outside these two are just texture. Very nice and interesting stories, but only as necessary as you make them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, from what I recall, he said was making the last couple issues extra-sized, which obviously means Coker needs more time to draw.

black monday murders has been so irregular i don't think too many readers will have thwarted expectations. and every issue is very dense - they are not as thin (in pages or content) as monthly cape books, nor even as the more complex indies.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Library Edition #1. Then #2. #3 is probably a good follow up. Etc, etc.

If you mean intertwined with BPRD, Abe Sapian, etc.? I dunno, guess by trade release order. Really, as long as you read them in volume order, you'll be fine. And to be fair, there's a lot of skipping around chronologically (retro B.P.R.D. stuff was published along side the 'contemporary' stories, along with some Lobster Johnson stories which take place before most stores, etc.) If you want to read everything, Wikipedia has an actually fairly comprehensive list and date for each issue, book, volume, etc. The only necessary books (the backbone of the world) is Hellboy, and eventually B.P.R.D. I can't speak for every Hellboy related comic, but for the most part everything outside these two are just texture. Very nice and interesting stories, but only as necessary as you make them.

This is basically me. I have the first three library editions and now I'm spoiled by their quality. I'm hoping they use that format for the spinoffs, but I know it's not likely.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

IUG posted:

This is basically me. I have the first three library editions and now I'm spoiled by their quality. I'm hoping they use that format for the spinoffs, but I know it's not likely.

They are releasing the spinoffs in Omnibuses, but not the fancy hardcover library ones.

If you’re looking for reading order this guide is about a year old but it covers 95% of the series. They seem to update it every year or so so I’d expect an updated one later this year:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Just read this and the first issue is really good. I love horror comics and this seems like Ennis doing a full-blown, straight horror comic. So far, none of his typical grossout humour stuff, he's playing it way stiffer than normal.

It could completely go off the rails, of course, but I'm in for the ride for now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I know i know, its the dreaded manga but i just finished The Bride was a Boy, a 4panel autobiography about the author's transition and dealing with trying to get married in Japan as a trans woman, and it was very cute and sweet and i recommend it

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Has anyone else read Flavor #1 from Image. I picked it up from my LCS because it had a cool dog on the cover and I'm really glad I did. It's a Ghibli style works where you need a licence to be a chef, and a girl who dropped out of chef school acts as an unlicensed chef to support her family.

Also the dog is really cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Creator-owned published by DC still counts as indie, right?

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/996877698478686208

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My DC offshoots thread is pretty dead, and I don't think adding Jinxworld would help, so sure :)

There was also a new volume of Scarlet in today's solicits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was also a new volume of Scarlet in today's solicits.

Oh good, I look forward to #3 coming out in 2022