Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

trucutru posted:

As long as you're not obviously milking the company you're safe.

Chris and Sandi absolutely seem like they would be careless with the corporate checkbook and mingle personal expenditures with corporate ones. If, for example, they went on a vacation, and used the corporate Amex to buy the tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

CellarDweller posted:

I object to the notion that cig wouldn't waste massive amounts of money on unnecessary airfare.

He is moving back "Home". It's really nice of his parents to let him live in their basement again.

Alternative thought

The doctor told him how many months he has left in that husk of a body. So he wants to spend it with family

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Golli posted:

Chris and Sandi absolutely seem like they would be careless with the corporate checkbook and mingle personal expenditures with corporate ones. If, for example, they went on a vacation, and used the corporate Amex to buy the tickets.

There is 100% evidence of that happening already

Sandi used the company kickstarter account to back an alpaca farm or some poo poo for a sweater

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It looks very meh to me, less Rage and more Farcry meets Sunset Overdrive but I gotta say, is this the first video game trailer to use Andrew WK? That should have happened long ago.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Never not post Edguy.

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015
Who did Derek dox? When? I'm sorry I missed this drama :-(

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Golli posted:

I remember a rumor from way back when that the company was paying the rent on their Santa Monica beach house and for a very expense Porsche.

Blue On Blue posted:

Sandi used the company kickstarter account to back an alpaca farm or some poo poo for a sweater

They could probably get out of it by claiming it was a really bad marketing stunt but that would require admitting that Sandi is bad at marketing so...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Leonard J Crabs, Attorney at Law was reclined in the conference room chair, listening with thinly veiled disinterest at the quarterly earnings report his partner was presenting. He drummed a beat on the table, irreverent to the professional display these well dressed chimps tried to put on. Samantha shot him daggers, only to be greeted with Leonard leering back at her cleavage. She quickly turned back to the presentation as she adjusted her jacket to hide the endowment.

The meeting droned on for what seemed like hours until Leonard's paralegal burst into the conference room. He scanned the room, quickly finding Leonard at the head of the table, his bare feet resting lazily on the conference phone.

"It's him!" the paralegal exclaimed over the irritated looks of the lawyers.

Leonard Crabs leapt out of his chair. "Out. NOW!" he boomed to the sheep sitting before him. They scattered like so many insects before the storm. Leonard eased back into the chair and pulled close to the phone, staring at the blinking light.

"The loving warlord........ he's at it again!" he said to no one, his excitement palpable. The paralegal seemed surprised to see Leonard doff his pants, slamming them on top of the conference table with an audible "clang" of the Hard Rock Café belt buckle. "Get me three days worth of Moxie." Leonard commanded and the paralegal left to obey.

Leonard J Crabs rolled up his sleeves, slapped his face, and pressed the button on the phone.

A few seconds of static led the familiar voice of Derek Smart: "You old son of a bitch, I have another blog post for you to review. This is the big one, I need a good legal scrub."

Leonard clapped his hands together and stood up, leaning over the phone as if to pounce on it. "HOT drat! Give it to me baby!" he said, giggling through his smile.

"I'm faxing it now, it's about 1000 pages so it will take a while." Derek cautioned.

"I've got all night!" Leonard said as he slingshotted his socks into the nearby trashcan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

A reddit guy who works at a top 50 company, has a dozen girlfriends, and knows it all about software and vidjagame development. Like a month ago.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Taintrunner posted:

What I’m noticing is that CIG has put themselves between a rock and a very hard place as far as actual game design goes.

Because they have on one hand their funding from a bunch of diehard hardcore space sim nerds who want everything as punishing and complicated as possible, and on the other hand, the longevity of their playerbase that needs quality of life and streamlined gameplay features to get into the action fast.

So any time they make any caveat to the latter, the former throws a loving fit, because their *DREAMS* implies a game that is the He-Citizen Woman Haters Club No Casuals Allowed is what Chris Roberts has dreamed up and is putting into action every waking moment, I mean, it’s why I took out a second mortgage on my house to get the highest rank of concierge! Doesn’t Chris care about us backers?!

And at the end of the day, in their darkest nightmares, that makes them and their dream game no different than a Derek Smart Steaming poo poo Special.

Muh December blog...

Muh chart...

But yeah, even if they overcame the stability / performance hurdles that have long vexed them, there’s not really a game there yet and the longtime vision for what that not-a-game should become isn’t really a game either. It’s a very empty, very shallow, very lifeless psychic prison for those who spent small fortunes on Asset DLC and with each passing month this becomes more obvious to those sentenced to life there.

The consolation in the end seems likely to be “Maybe the game really was just the friendships we made along the way while waiting for the one that never fully arrived.” I don’t mean that as a cheap shot because I don’t share the view that the community looks like the outliers catalogued by Mirificus for entertainment. The social bonds formed around the this not-a-game-yet-game are the glue holding it together while the engine strains not to crack apart with each new feature added. That may be what remains if the game fades away or other games fill the void left by the placeholder that Star Citizen has long been.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 15, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Star Citizer: Regardless, a vote was had

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

Some Reddit dipshit who was saying stupid poo poo, and whose real name and linked-in profile added literally nothing.

Because if Derek is going to get permsbanned, it should be over pointless poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CellarDweller posted:

They could probably get out of it by claiming it was a really bad marketing stunt but that would require admitting that Sandi is bad at marketing so...

It's not like the backers (who have been trained to take it and as for more) are going to go for a class-action lawsuit or anything like that. So as long as CIG has been paying their taxes the most likely outcome of this is that, after the divorce, Sandi is going to spend it all looking to get into Hollywood and Chris will just stay in Ben's house and let Lesnick sleep in his own coach.

Ortwin will just mark it as yet another Tuesday in his company malfeasance calendar and go back to his coffin.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

Is god of war as awesome as r/games makes it sound like?

No.

I mean it's fun, just not as hyped.

Combat can be frustrating, annoying auto-lock-ons, illogical invisible walls, areas suddenly being artificially limited once a fight starts, too much poo poo packed into Kratos' moveset, too many confusing upgrades.

It is good, just as above, not as hyped.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

So a game (PoE2) I cautiously backed was just released and it met or exceeded my expectations and was mostly on schedule and within the scope presented.

How's Star Citizen doing?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

trucutru posted:

It's not like the backers (who have been trained to take it and as for more) are going to go for a class-action lawsuit or anything like that. So as long as CIG has been paying their taxes the most likely outcome of this is that, after the divorce, Sandi is going to spend it all looking to get into Hollywood and Chris will just stay in Ben's house and let Lesnick sleep in his own coach.

Ortwin will just mark it as yet another Tuesday in his company malfeasance calendar and go back to his coffin.

If there are direct transfers of money from the corporation outside of 'normal' salaries to Sandi and/or Chris personal accounts (or expenditures with no business purpose that they are sole beneficiaries of - a mortgage payment by CIG to a mortgage taken out by the Roberts - for example) that would 'pierce the corporate veil' and open the door for creditors to go after their personal assets to recover.

And if the Roberts' do not claim the value of expenditures by the company on their behalf on their taxes as part of compensation, then the IRS might also take an interest.

If the company leases out a house, and lets them live in it, that's fine. Same with a Porsche as a company car.

Golli fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 15, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Is this the “secret special project” Ben was supposedly working on, alluded to I believe by Batgirl a month or two back?

The special project is leaving town? And taking the carefully curated Chris Roberts Wing Commander Memorial Landfill Archive with him?

EDIT: I really think this is going to freak Erris out. Just this weekend he was pining hopefully for a restoration of the old Reverse the Verse program and gang. He misses Ben and needs more Chris and Ben is gone and Chris receding while CIG squeezes harder and harder to get cash from those still believing in The Dream.

I’m not sure Erris will rant but I am sure this will be very unnerving to him. And Relay spent the last episode already in very unnerving territory. We may actually see him catch up to 2015 thread thinking in the not too distant future...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 15, 2018

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

“People of Earth Star Citizer, your attention, please… This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz Croberts of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Issues Council. As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy game require the building of a hyperspatial express route pipeline through your star system Citizen dreams, and regrettably, your planet the release date is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes weeks. Thank you…

"There's no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts user polls and demolition orders wavy hand explanations have been on display at your local planning department RSI forum in Alpha Centauri for fifty ninety of your Earth years days, tops. So you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it's far too late to start making a fuss about it now…

"What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri our cancerous forum? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind Commandos, it's only four light years away years into development, you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout. Energize the demolition deskeletonization beams.”

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

So a game (PoE2) I cautiously backed was just released and it met or exceeded my expectations and was mostly on schedule and within the scope presented.

How's Star Citizen doing?
Star Citizen is doing exactly this too except multiplied by -1.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Since the ELE clearly has entered it's final fase, I'd like to see he who can't be named but predicted it all in a blog 3 years ago reinstated. It's just not the same without him. The joy that is upon us just doesn't feel right without good o' D.

Star Citizer: Derek Smart is right

mjotto fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 15, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Samantha shot him daggers, only to be greeted with Leonard leering back at her cleavage. She quickly turned back to the presentation as she adjusted her jacket to hide the endowment.

Samantha gets around;

“Samantha has to nip out now with her new gentleman friend. Apparently, they've been working on the restoration of an old chest of drawers. Samantha is in charge of polishing, while he scrapes the varnish and wax off next to her."

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Ben Lesnick, Leaver

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder what it feels like to have the guy you brought on board (hobo) walk you out the door of your work place

If ben could lift his arms higher than stomach height I'd be worried of a postal type event

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
seriously CIG, doesn't anyone there care about how ben leaving will affect love pledge? goddamn man

another 2 weeks of refactoring

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

seriously CIG, doesn't anyone there care about how ben leaving will affect love pledge? goddamn man

another 2 weeks of refactoring

you'll have a lot more room on the screen for other characters now, though!

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

G0RF posted:

Muh December blog...

Muh chart...

But yeah, even if they overcame the stability / performance hurdles that have long vexed them, there’s not really a game there yet and the longtime vision for what that not-a-game should become isn’t really a game either. It’s a very empty, very shallow, very lifeless psychic prison for those who spent small fortunes on Asset DLC and with each passing month this becomes more obvious to those sentenced to life there.

The consolation in the end seems likely to be “Maybe the game really was just the friendships we made along the way while waiting for the one that never fully arrived.” I don’t mean that as a cheap shot because I don’t share the view that the community looks like the outliers catalogued by Mirificus for entertainment. The social bonds formed around the this not-a-game-yet-game are the glue holding it together while the engine strains not to crack apart with each new feature added. That may be what remains if the game fades away or other games fill the void left by the placeholder that Star Citizen has long been.

When the ELE actually happens the main concern of the citizens is going to be ego defence: they will have to come up with some way to not feel like a bunch of chumps who threw their money away on a load of nonsense.

To this end I expect everything about Star Citizen to be listed as a reason it was actually brilliant and was totally worth it. The waiting was fun, the SC community is awesome, it was great communicating with Chris Roberts, the bugs were hilarious, etc.

But they'll know, they'll know that they have been made fools of and that Derek Smart was right.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The whole crytek lawsuit ELE is just too boring and slow moving.

The jenga tower of bullshit promises collapsing and subsequent poisoning of the backer well ELE is highly entertaining.

The Coutts/British Tax authorities ELE that has been teased is either way under the radar or a spoof ELE.

Now Derek Smart (he called it, though the definition of 'it' is not yet finalized) is promising another ELE.

It's getting difficult to keep up.

Maybe It's time to get that completionist package.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

It looks very meh to me, less Rage and more Farcry meets Sunset Overdrive but I gotta say, is this the first video game trailer to use Andrew WK? That should have happened long ago.

yeah, both the live action thing and the gameplay trailer don't blow me away yet. Allthough one of the scenes in the gameplay trailer looks like similar "skate park with shotgun"-action that we got in Doom 2016, if they add the wingstick to that, it could be a cool game. After Wolfenstein 2 - which left me rather dissappointed - I'll wait until I see more of it. I loved Rage for it's combat and enemy AI, but the game had such awful pacing problems in regard to the overall story.

If they anounce Doom 2 for 2019 also, it might be an awesome year.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Leonard J Crabs, Attorney at Law was reclined in the conference room chair, listening with thinly veiled disinterest at the quarterly earnings report his partner was presenting. He drummed a beat on the table, irreverent to the professional display these well dressed chimps tried to put on. Samantha shot him daggers, only to be greeted with Leonard leering back at her cleavage. She quickly turned back to the presentation as she adjusted her jacket to hide the endowment.

The meeting droned on for what seemed like hours until Leonard's paralegal burst into the conference room. He scanned the room, quickly finding Leonard at the head of the table, his bare feet resting lazily on the conference phone.

"It's him!" the paralegal exclaimed over the irritated looks of the lawyers.

Leonard Crabs leapt out of his chair. "Out. NOW!" he boomed to the sheep sitting before him. They scattered like so many insects before the storm. Leonard eased back into the chair and pulled close to the phone, staring at the blinking light.

"The loving warlord........ he's at it again!" he said to no one, his excitement palpable. The paralegal seemed surprised to see Leonard doff his pants, slamming them on top of the conference table with an audible "clang" of the Hard Rock Café belt buckle. "Get me three days worth of Moxie." Leonard commanded and the paralegal left to obey.

Leonard J Crabs rolled up his sleeves, slapped his face, and pressed the button on the phone.

A few seconds of static led the familiar voice of Derek Smart: "You old son of a bitch, I have another blog post for you to review. This is the big one, I need a good legal scrub."

Leonard clapped his hands together and stood up, leaning over the phone as if to pounce on it. "HOT drat! Give it to me baby!" he said, giggling through his smile.

"I'm faxing it now, it's about 1000 pages so it will take a while." Derek cautioned.

"I've got all night!" Leonard said as he slingshotted his socks into the nearby trashcan.

This is good.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Guys, I have a confession to make.

I bought back in.

To the local hot yoga studio.

I am going to be so lithe for the summer, it's ridiculous.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Lladre posted:

I bought back in.

Kudos.

I tried to tell my step-dad to take up yoga as he threw out his back and most likely with have to retire due to it.

"No no, the acupuncture works."

gently caress.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Drunk Theory posted:

Some Reddit dipshit who was saying stupid poo poo, and whose real name and linked-in profile added literally nothing.

Because if Derek is going to get permsbanned, it should be over pointless poo poo.

It's pretty simple - if the person's name is not in their alias, don't link to it. No one needs to know that poo poo - it's not adding value and not needed. Derek is loving imbecile who can't keep his hands to himself and sit quietly and finally got what he deserved.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

I bought back in.

Hi Lethal!ty!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Who the gently caress made Derek a mod anyway. Not that I want any further vengeance or anything, that bloodthirst is firmly quenched.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue posted:

So even if what ben says is true

The company is going to waste countless amounts of money to fly him in everytime he feels like it ?

Nope it's all bullshit and anyone can see that from a mile away

Why would you willingly move away from your lord and saviour after spending most of your adult life trying to become one with him

unless it was by force , physically or legally

My guess is they said he can work remote just to get him out of the office

And after 3 months will quietly cut all ties

Why he chose Washington I cannot fathom

Fact: people as big as the Lesnicks often have to pay for two seats apiece on an airliner.. their asses are way too big for a single seat (17 inch width) and fuel-wise they are more than 2 people each. I have a friend that *used to be as yuuuge as them and he hated flying because it was super humiliating on top of expensive af

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/being-the-fat-person-on-a-plane/

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/fat-fly-passenger-sues-southwest-airlines-discriminatory-actions/story?id=16271932

Another fat fact: when you are that big you need a $pecial scale or you have to weigh yourself like an airplane (one scale under each foot and add them together for the total). My buddy did neither and would estimate based on visual appearance compared to last time the doctor weighed him on the fatty scale. Bathroom scales only go up to 300#, and the cost goes up exponentially beyond that due to (wait for it) economies of scale :v:

*he bought a fatguy bicycle that looked like a motorcycle with pedals and stopped eating entire pizzas in a sitting... lost a bunch a weight started dating a vegan chick and lost a bunch more and can ride normal bikes now.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
That's nice, but how much is he in for?

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I broke 15% bf recently. 13.91% most recent caliper reading. Starting to see abs. Feels pretty good.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's pretty simple - if the person's name is not in their alias, don't link to it. No one needs to know that poo poo - it's not adding value and not needed. Derek is loving imbecile who can't keep his hands to himself and sit quietly and finally got what he deserved.

You misunderstood me. I was saying Derek posting that was pointless, as it added nothing to us chuckling at Mr Fortune 500 company. I am aware why it was a rule violation.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ModernSociety posted:

“People of Earth Star Citizer, your attention, please… This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz Croberts of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Issues Council. As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy game require the building of a hyperspatial express route pipeline through your star system Citizen dreams, and regrettably, your planet the release date is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes weeks. Thank you…

"There's no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts user polls and demolition orders wavy hand explanations have been on display at your local planning department RSI forum in Alpha Centauri for fifty ninety of your Earth years days, tops. So you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it's far too late to start making a fuss about it now…

"What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri our cancerous forum? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind Commandos, it's only four light years away years into development, you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout. Energize the demolition deskeletonization beams.”

Haha perfect