Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
In life they were fuckups.

In Death they will find purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They aren't neutral - they were lovely people who did lovely things and weren't worthy of Sigmar's Resurrection, but they were too craven and cowardly to join with Chaos.

Think Alfrid Lickspittle from the Hobbit movies. He was certainly not neutral, but he also wasn't balls to the wall Blood Bros material either.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Injuryprone posted:

They look topheavy too.

You can weight the bases at least

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I imagine they were people that were more conventionally "evil" instead of Chaos's no holds barred insanity.

Thieves, regular murderers, traitors, abusers etc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I imagine they were people that were more conventionally "evil" instead of Chaos's no holds barred insanity.

Thieves, regular murderers, traitors, abusers etc.

Thats what a lot of them were. But the basic units were just those were not good enough for Sigmar, but never joined with Chaos.

Chainwrasp Hordes posted:

More often than not, the souls that find their way to Nagash are of a somewhat middling quality – the poor schmucks who weren’t good enough to be reborn as Stormcast Eternals or evil enough to dedicate themselves to Chaos. Gathered together in vast, unhappy hordes, these souls are eternal prisoners of Nagash and take sick delight in bludgeoning enemies with the various chains and manacles that bind them in service to the Grand Necromancer.

However the other units previewed were more the specialized souls.

Glaivewraith Stalkers posted:

Nagash has a twisted sense of justice, and each member of the Nighthaunt is shaped to reflect their crimes in a previous life. The Glaivewraith Stalkers were those who hunted men for sport and pleasure – now, they still work as huntsmen, drifting slowly and unstoppably towards their quarry, pursuing them for months (or even years!) if they have to.

Grimghast Reapers posted:

Grimghast Reapers are the souls of schemers, plotters, assassins, and those who murdered through subterfuge in their former lives. Nagash has punished these souls by turning them into frenzied, indiscriminate murderers, blind to their foe and attacking with wild, unfocused slashes.

Lord Executioner posted:

In their former lives, Lord Executioners were hangmen and headsmen who knowingly dispatched the innocent, or simply enjoyed their work a little too much. Nagash now employs them in permanent service to ensure none escape the justice of Shyish.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 15, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am ordering Nighthaunt stuff tonight.

:fap:

Just a few spirit hosts, to test a paint scheme.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Every goddamn new army they make I want.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Black_Nexus posted:

I have gone from "haha aos is poo poo gently caress GW" to "I can't pick one this is poo poo gently caress GW"

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Everyone at the local club bailed on WHFB and went hard for KoW when Sigmar dropped and I never got anyone to play against my Kharadron Overlords so they have been unused and unpainted since they came out. I'm hoping I can get some use out of them with a new edition dropping. Game or not, I've decided to paint them up as a show piece army even if they never leave the display case. This is my start.

Im trying real hard not to start lusting after those sweet rear end nighthaunts tho. The last thing I need is another army I never get to use.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
maybe one day the glorious knights of brettonia will return :france:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Black_Nexus posted:

Follow up on this. I bought the cool malignants box with spirit hosts, hexwraiths and the new (AWESOME) mortis engine.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Have they said anywhere what units that are already out will be available for nighthaunts?

There's a £32.50 set with cavalry, spirit hosts and a cairn wraith that looks like a good starter to paint some stuff.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Thundercloud posted:

Have they said anywhere what units that are already out will be available for nighthaunts?

There's a £32.50 set with cavalry, spirit hosts and a cairn wraith that looks like a good starter to paint some stuff.

I think all we know so far is "June."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thundercloud posted:

I think spirit hosts and hex wraiths are currently nighthaunt models.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Deleter posted:

I'm laughing at the new battleline(?) unit being dudes who died True Neutral and didn't pick a side.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/361282749086175234

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nighthaunt is basically Nagash’s Ironic Punishments Department then.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 15, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is a particular Mortarch best when it comes to nighthaunts or does it not matter? I think Mannfred looks cool but also Mannfred is kind of a stupid dickhead.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Is a particular Mortarch best when it comes to nighthaunts or does it not matter? I think Mannfred looks cool but also Mannfred is kind of a stupid dickhead.

Arkhan looks the coolest :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Arkhan looks the coolest :shrug:

Yeah I'm tossing up which one to go with... I mean it's easy enough to magnetise the riders and have them all. I think they all look cool but Manny has the best skeledog.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

JBP posted:

There might also be a new one coming? My bet would be on that one synergizing pretty well with Nighthaunts.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Flimf posted:

There might also be a new one coming? My bet would be on that one synergizing pretty well with Nighthaunts.

AoS Facebook page mentions a Mortarch of Grief. Most likely whoever is supposed to be speaking in the trailer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

AoS Facebook page mentions a Mortarch of Grief. Most likely whoever is supposed to be speaking in the trailer.

Cool sounds like it's maybe Isabella. I'll just build what I want.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
How important is rebasing legacy models? I have a sizable tomb kings army and none of it is on circular bases at the moment, and I'm unsure if I want to even start such a project if the community consensus is that it's not terribly important. Not to mention GW supplied bases seem pricey at 60$ for 100 25mm bases. I don't imagine myself playing in any tournaments or competitive events outside of small local ones (which of course may or may not allow TK anyway).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deofuta posted:

How important is rebasing legacy models? I have a sizable tomb kings army and none of it is on circular bases at the moment, and I'm unsure if I want to even start such a project if the community consensus is that it's not terribly important. Not to mention GW supplied bases seem pricey at 60$ for 100 25mm bases. I don't imagine myself playing in any tournaments or competitive events outside of small local ones (which of course may or may not allow TK anyway).

It might become a thing later on, but for now, I think only morons get pissed. Regarding bases, don't buy them from GW - you can get 100 rounds on Ebay for about $10 shipped.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Holy poo poo I'd be mad if I had a great whfb army and some tool got pissy because I didn't rebase them.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Yeah I agree! The reason I ask is its already been brought up twice by two of the more competitive members of the store for giving an advantage because you could conceivably pile in more skeletons for some violent melee action. I've been fairly flippant both times it was brought up ( as in I didn't get this army to tear up the competitive scene c'mon) but if it was something that is seen as expected by many I wouldn't be against looking into it at least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I mean, I guess if it was a competition I'd expect the tourney rules to cover it off and I'd just blutac them onto cheap round bases if that was required. Pitching up to play some casual games or an organised event... Like loving come on son.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

For casual play I don’t think most people care. But the big tournaments are starting to get to the point where few allow squares anymore and that sentiment is starting to creep into the community.

I’m rebasing my skaven only because I just think rounds look better and it creates a more cohesive battle scene when everyone is on rounds.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh no I think Nighthaunt might be pulling me back in.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
You can see the new Mortarch's out of focus form behind the trees at one point in the trailer.

People were speculating that it's Khalida because it has a headdress that looks like hers, although yeah Isabella seems a better fit probably.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stormcast faction focus is up, goes into the Sacrosanct models.

I dig the warscroll they previewed, a wizard suicide bomber.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/15/15th-may-faction-focus-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-3/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've put working on more Empire dudes on hold until the next edition comes out - I'm still all about these pyjama pals, but if the rules say round bases are required now I'll be grumpy if I have to rebase even more dudes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

Yeah I'm tossing up which one to go with... I mean it's easy enough to magnetise the riders and have them all. I think they all look cool but Manny has the best skeledog.

Build Arkham riding Manfred’s skeledog, problem solved.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Stormcast faction focus is up, goes into the Sacrosanct models.

I dig the warscroll they previewed, a wizard suicide bomber.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/15/15th-may-faction-focus-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-3/

Compare and contrast with the Night haunt models. So bland. Only one that’s interesting are the crossbow ones, particularly the one with a face. They’d do a lot better if more of them had visible heads. I’m surprised they’ve not really learnt the lessons from a lot of their previous stormcast stuff. The Lord Arcanum is boring. Sitting bolt upright, no expression, weapon is a staff. The angle he is at doesn’t flow with that of the mount:

I wish there was a database of models by sculptor. Then we could see if
1) the problem lies with the design language and common reference points of the stormcast
2) the relevant sculptor is good as evidenced by other work but just doesn’t give a poo poo about stormcast
3) the sculptor is new or just not as good

A lot of them would be improved with headswaps and possibly a different colour scheme

I’m a GW fanboy but this stuff is just bland.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the biggest problem is the color scheme. I saw them in a different color and thought they looked great.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The gold scheme still sucks but the Sacrosanct Chamber's visual design is way better than the bog-standard Stormcast. The aprons break up the boring flat areas of armor and they have a lot of neat gewgaws, plus the gender mix is always a bonus. I bet they'd look rad in my silver/red/purple scheme.

I'd buy into these dudes but I'm seriously considering dumping my Stormcast for Nighthaunt now because I can't argue they're way cooler.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been interested enough in 2nd edition that I've finally started painting up the Stormcast from the starter set using the scheme for the Anvils of the Heldenhammer and I have to say I like it a lot. I could see these new guys looking pretty rad in black and gold as well.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
actually the biggest problem with the stormfronts is their stupid death mask

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah I liked this color better.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008