Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

thebushcommander posted:

Heads up, recent DTVN app update on Amazon platforms has made the FireTV first gen and first gen stick incompatible with the service. Based on the email I got it sounds like a joint venture between directvNow and Amazon to push people to upgrade their older models as it came with a $10 discount on a new Firetv. Sadly the original FireTV (box) ran the service flawlessly so it seemed like a stupid change.

Just contacted Amazon about this in a chat, and they offered me a $30 discount on the Fire TV stick, making it $9.99 plus tax. Sucks because I have a first gen Fire TV and Fire TV stick, but better than nothing. I guess those other two are just on the road to be completely obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Dorectvnow barely working for anyone else right now? I have channels with no sound etc

Mine was definitely hosed up about an hour, hour and a half ago. Seems ok now, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Just contacted Amazon about this in a chat, and they offered me a $30 discount on the Fire TV stick, making it $9.99 plus tax. Sucks because I have a first gen Fire TV and Fire TV stick, but better than nothing. I guess those other two are just on the road to be completely obsolete.

I contacted chat to get the $30 off the FireTV and they just gave me a generic $20 on my account instead :shrug:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

What exactly did you say in chat to get this, did you have to press them hard on it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kitten smoothie posted:

What exactly did you say in chat to get this, did you have to press them hard on it?

Just told them that I heard DirecTVNow wasn't working on my 1st gen Fire TV and Fire TV stick. She took about 3-5 minutes to talk with her supervisor to see what she could do, and then she offered me $30 for a new Fire TV stick. It was basically a 30 dollar goodwill credit. If I had waited, there's a refurbished Fire TV today for $44.99 that I could've gotten for $14.99, but oh well.

The new Fire TV stick does work with DirecTV Now, but it's absolute crap with my Harmony Elite. Every time I turn it off, the bluetooth disconnects and won't reconnect unless I pair it again. There is absolutely no way that I can see to prevent this (I even tried going into the power settings to leave it on as well as trying to alter the power off sequence, as well as connecting it as a game controller). But, this stick is mainly meant to be used as a hotel/getaway way to watch our streaming services, so I can mostly deal with it. Just a word to the wise for those who have the same combo.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
FWIW the newest FireStick is garbage. I bought one for the kids to use in another room and didn't run anything very well. The new FireTV seems to work pretty well however, kind of sucks they dropped ethernet and you need to buy an adapter though, it handles wifi pretty poorly from my experiece and I have a disgustingly overcompensated wired and wifi network in my house

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Directv Now programming question...

Do you know of the Fox Sports channel you receive is just the regional one for your area or can you specify or do you get multiple regions?

Right now, I have standard Directv service and get Fox Sports Midwest despite living in Oklahoma where FS Oklahoma would be the regional.

That's the only thing keeping me from switching to Now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You get locals and regional sports networks based on your billing zip code. You don't get to select which you want.

Furthermore, when I'm streaming away from home I don't get my local channels or my local regional sports network. I also don't get whatever local channels belong there, either. For instance, when I'm in New York I don't get my home networks and I also don't get whatever locals I'd get if I had a billing address in NYC.

I run a VPN server on my home internet to get around the geoip stuff on the web and be able to watch my home locals when traveling, but it doesn't work for mobile since their app uses your phone OS' location services rather than just geoip.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's probably easier to just find a stream on reddit for sporps if you're traveling. I used to get sent to LA a lot in the spring and just streamed rangers games that way.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

You get locals and regional sports networks based on your billing zip code. You don't get to select which you want.

Furthermore, when I'm streaming away from home I don't get my local channels or my local regional sports network. I also don't get whatever local channels belong there, either. For instance, when I'm in New York I don't get my home networks and I also don't get whatever locals I'd get if I had a billing address in NYC.

I run a VPN server on my home internet to get around the geoip stuff on the web and be able to watch my home locals when traveling, but it doesn't work for mobile since their app uses your phone OS' location services rather than just geoip.

Thanks for that info. Looking at the Fox Sports Go app, it seems it indicate that you can use a Directv Now login to use the app.

Any chance you could try to login to FS Go app with your DTV Now login and see if you can stream Cardinals game that's on now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Scrapez posted:

Any chance you could try to login to FS Go app with your DTV Now login and see if you can stream Cardinals game that's on now?

I can, but it's probably not any help for you because my billing address is in St. Louis and FS Midwest is my home RSN.

When I'm signed into the FS Go app the content I get is from FS Midwest, plus FS1/FS2/Big Ten network. I can't see stuff from other Fox Sports networks I wouldn't otherwise get if I were watching it straight up on DTVN. I can't see, say, the Jazz vs Thunder game playing on FS Oklahoma right now.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2018

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I can, but it's probably not any help for you because my billing address is in St. Louis and FS Midwest is my home RSN.

When I'm signed into the FS Go app the content I get is from FS Midwest, plus FS1/FS2/Big Ten network. I can't see stuff from other Fox Sports networks I wouldn't otherwise get if I were watching it straight up on DTVN. I can't see, say, the Jazz vs Thunder game playing on FS Oklahoma right now.

Thanks for the info. Sucks I can't get FS Midwest in Oklahoma.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get 0 locals with DTVN it blows dick. But it’s still cheaper than anything else.

I wish YouTube tv had the food network :(

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any sort of option to somehow wirelessly bridge a coax/HDMi signal?

My father has accidentally built over a cable junction box (which was disconnected) and now he cannot receive a coax signal where the TVs are.

This means that the cable box is one one end of the room and the TV is on the other, but because there's LOS the remote still works.

It's an 80-year old building with thick walls, running new cable or uncovering the junction box would be expensive and he refuses to do it, or to have coax cable snaking around the room to get to the TV.

Crafty solutions, even if they involve signal degradation, are welcome.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My father has accidentally built over a cable junction box (which was disconnected) and now he cannot receive a coax signal where the TVs are.

This means that the cable box is one one end of the room and the TV is on the other, but because there's LOS the remote still works.

It's an 80-year old building with thick walls, running new cable or uncovering the junction box would be expensive and he refuses to do it, or to have coax cable snaking around the room to get to the TV.

HDMI over power?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t know that was even a thing. We’ll have to see if the wiring is up to the task but given the situation it might be worth the risk.

Thanks a million.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does the cable company offer wireless cable boxes? I see most major pay tv options advertising them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't (we're not in the US so this isn't a thing), but your suggestion actually led me to finding out there is such a thing as HDMI-over-wireless which apparently also work well enough if you don't have much between the transmitter and the receiver.

If anyone has any experience with either these or the HDMI over power line, please let me know what you think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my parents use them, build quality isn’t always the best so make sure you read reviews to check they don’t have issues with interference (microwaves are real good at messing with them, but the 5.8ghz ones don’t suffer from that iirc) and you should be fine. Not usually super expensive, and better than the old scart ones they had from memory.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah my parents use them, build quality isn’t always the best so make sure you read reviews to check they don’t have issues with interference (microwaves are real good at messing with them, but the 5.8ghz ones don’t suffer from that iirc) and you should be fine. Not usually super expensive, and better than the old scart ones they had from memory.

Yeah, MW ovens are terrible for the upper end of the unlicensed 2.4GHz band. Oven freq is 2.450 GHz, but no manufacturer is tuned to that precision, plus the shield is imperfect and leaks. Add to the fact the signal cycles at 60Hz, you’re pretty much filling the available duty cycles and smearing the interference across channels 9-11.

If you have a MW close to your antennas or in the LoS of the signal, you definitely don’t want to use any system that runs in the 2.4GHz frequencies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is reasonable to assume that if I go to DirecTV Now, I can live without the DVR function due to the ability to sign on the apps offer by the channels? HBO, FX, Discovery, USA, and NBC (The Good Place) are the channels that come to mind.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

nate fisher posted:

It is reasonable to assume that if I go to DirecTV Now, I can live without the DVR function due to the ability to sign on the apps offer by the channels? HBO, FX, Discovery, USA, and NBC (The Good Place) are the channels that come to mind.

It's been fine for me. My big issue has been the skipping shiftiness of regular TV with them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m on the DVR beta and it seems like they’re wrapping up so hopefully it should be available soon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha I just notice they have VOD too. I am going to give it a spin for the free 7 days. Right now I am paying $65 a month for Vue + HBO, and to be honest outside of the price I have zero complaints. It is just at that price a month + Comcast internet I might as well go back to cable. The DirecTV Now at $35 + $5 for HBO is a lot better. Plus they are offering the first 3 months at $10 a month right now.

Edit: Anyone have experience with WoW! Internet? They laid band new lines in my subdivision last year, and they are offering 1GB for cheaper than what I am paying Comcast for 150MB. I tried to researched them online, and it is not great. That said I realize a lot of the reviews seem to be focused on their old lines or lines of companies they took over, and it seems their TV service is pretty unfriendly. It is hard to distinguish if their new lines are better.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 14, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

It is just at that price a month + Comcast internet I might as well go back to cable.

It’s a shame this is too long to be the thread title.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Anyone have experience with WoW! Internet? They laid band new lines in my subdivision last year, and they are offering 1GB for cheaper than what I am paying Comcast for 150MB. I tried to researched them online, and it is not great. That said I realize a lot of the reviews seem to be focused on their old lines or lines of companies they took over, and it seems their TV service is pretty unfriendly. It is hard to distinguish if their new lines are better.

I have WOW internet service and it's been pretty great. But then, my service with Comcast was great before too.

I find that, at least in my area, Comcast was the service for the masses and WOW was the service for olds. Primarily that meant when I had to call up technical assistance to register a new cable modem, it took them a second to realize I didn't accidentally get myself to their line via a phone tree mistake.

Also, the times I tried to call to get the promo pricing back, they called my bluff. I ended up getting a small discount but nothing more.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I switched from Directv to directv Now and definitely miss the dvr. I hate commercials and the dvr allowed for skipping them.

Another really annoying thing is the inability to tune directly to a channel with a number (you have to scroll through the guide.)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Scrapez posted:

I switched from Directv to directv Now and definitely miss the dvr. I hate commercials and the dvr allowed for skipping them.

Another really annoying thing is the inability to tune directly to a channel with a number (you have to scroll through the guide.)

I started the trial last night, and watched Legion via of VOD. Yes the commercials are annoying (especially since I've had some form of a DVR since the early 2000's), but to be honest most of the shows I watch are on a streaming service or something without commercials like HBO. The only thing I need from cable/regular TV is the Food Network (it is my nothing else is on channel), CNN in case of breaking news, FX for Legion and Better Things, USA Network for Mr. Robot, and not much more. If they offered CNN as a standalone I would be tempted just not to have a service like VUE or DirecTV. Instead I would just buy the shows I watch on iTunes.

As someone coming from VUE it was nice to have channels like Viceland (this is another perfect leave on the background channel) and Comedy Central again. I had only 2 real issues. One was their VOD. I watch Tosh for like 10 minutes, but the first few minutes it had a little stutter (which went away). Also some of the episode listings were off. I could easily find Westworld season 2 episode 1 and 3, but I couldn't find episode 2 (not a big deal because I use the HBO app anyway). The most worrisome issue is a couple of times I ran into 'server error' when changing channels. I am not sure what is causing this, but changing the channel again usually fixes it. Still DirecTV was miles better than my experience with SlingTV (I didn't even make it a day before I canceled my trial).

I have to give Sony credit with VUE. I pretty much ran into more issues with DirecTV Now in one night than I had with VUE in the last 11 months. Still that price is just dumb, so I'm canceling it and going to make Direct work for me for the time being.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Directv would be perfect if I could get locals but for some reason I can’t. It’s annoying.

I just want a device that gives me NHL TV, NBCSN, and food network plus locals :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Directv would be perfect if I could get locals but for some reason I can’t. It’s annoying.

I just want a device that gives me NHL TV, NBCSN, and food network plus locals :(

Is your location (as determined by IP address) matching with the ZIP code registered on your directvnow account?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I just live in one of those god awful areas of US that no one cares to do liscencing for. We don’t even have Uber :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yeah I just live in one of those god awful areas of US that no one cares to do liscencing for. We don’t even have Uber :(

Have you tried the lookup tool?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/attLocalChannels.jsp?assetId=att_cms_local_channels

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh that’s cool. But yeah it appears they don’t have the rights for my county. If I go to the next county I get full locals. Wish I could spoof.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Huh that’s cool. But yeah it appears they don’t have the rights for my county. If I go to the next county I get full locals. Wish I could spoof.

If you change the ZIP, it might still match your IP if it's close enough. Worth a try. Otherwise you could try a VPN or a Smart DNS service.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If you change the ZIP, it might still match your IP if it's close enough. Worth a try. Otherwise you could try a VPN or a Smart DNS service.

Yeah, but if your zip doesn’t match your CC billing data then that payment method won’t work anymore.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do any of the other services have a look up? I want to see if vue has my locals but they don’t have a tria

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Directv Now DVR is available for everyone. My iphone app updated and atv at home I guess is updated and has a slightly different ui.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Obligatory “ I hate the new UI” post.

The new layout is fine, but I hate that it’s black on white now, instead of white on black like it was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Does the guide roll around to the beginning yet? If it doesn't then its still garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It should have a "guide channel" button that autoscrolls and plays crappy commercials at the top.
https://youtu.be/TMnl-grhq0c