Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

The solution to the Fortnite trend is to teach your kid to have better loving taste so they don't waste time on a mobile FPS game.

Like if you enjoy Fortnite fine whatever but how desperate do you have to be to play it on a phone

The man ain't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The solution to the Fortnite trend is to teach your kid to have better loving taste so they don't waste time on a mobile FPS game.

Like if you enjoy Fortnite fine whatever but how desperate do you have to be to play it on a phone

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

breaking out the belt for playing normie games

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"I learned it from watching YOU play Halo with a controller, dad!"

*runs out of the room crying*

lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't believe these children are so lacking in self respect as to degrade themselves with mobile battle royal games.

Kids these days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Son, its time you learned how to play a real man's game.

*boots up Dwarf Fortress*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In my day we muddled through Baldur's Gate without a manual we liked it!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Jokes on you, Mother fucker, fortnite is in third person, not first

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Every parent hopes for their children to game better than they did.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Animal Crossing but the first few entries in which the animals could be real dicks to you at the drop of a hat randomly and tell you that you were ugly and they hated you.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Animal Crossing but the first few entries in which the animals could be real dicks to you at the drop of a hat randomly and tell you that you were ugly and they hated you.

Basically getting the kids ready for elementary school life, in general

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got really pissed off at fight n rage for throwing an insanely hard level that i couldn't beat at me 40 minutes in but then i looked at the steam community hub and saw a big post by the lead dev saying he doesn't believe there's a distinction between hardcore and casual gamers because we're all gamers and losing in a hard game is fine as long as you have fun, and now i can't be mad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am an adult and people I know in my circle of friends who do not otherwise play games have gotten sucked into playing Fortnite on their phones, it's not just kids

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am an adult and people I know in my circle of friends who do not otherwise play games have gotten sucked into playing Fortnite on their phones, it's not just kids

Gently remove their phone from their hands and slide a copy of Yakuza 0 in while nodding sagely.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How do you play a third person shooter on a phone

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The real solution is to not have children.

Or just be a more involved parent who teaches their children the value of time management and restraint but that would require effort and people are real lazy and would rather throw an ipad at a 3 year old to shut them up instead of engaging with them.

e: I feel a lot of my own issues with time management and focus are a direct result of my parents own issues with these things and basically their lovely habits became my lovely habits.

e2: 'I don't get how kids can't stop playing these games' say parents with iphones glued to their face 24/7.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 15, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

With a lot of squinting, I imagine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No son you aren't allowed to play the games all your friends enjoy, but here's Final Fantasy VII

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

poorly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Not very well. You divide the screen into two regions which represent invisible analog sticks and drag your fingers around them to move and aim. Fire is either lift one finger and tap or just automatic once you acquire a target.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

haveblue posted:

Not very well. You divide the screen into two regions which represent invisible analog sticks and drag your fingers around them to move and aim. Fire is either lift one finger and tap or just automatic once you acquire a target.

has epic never heard of tilt controls?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the game already plays like absolute floaty dogshit, playing it on a phone seems insane. put Vanquish on phones instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus that sounds loving awful. I just assumed that those controllers people use for phone games were more common than I thought and moved on from there.

I don't even like to play SNES JRPG ports with touch controls (and since I'm not about to get a controller for my goddamn phone I just, y'know, don't play those). Why would I ever play a shooter that way?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I played Tyrian on my phone back in the day

never got very far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Maybe that’s an option, I’m too old to have ever played mobile Fortnite. You’d still have to do something weird for move and shoot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

the phone port of pubg has them, but then again pubg rounds are almost an hour vs like 15 minutes tops for fortnite so it is insanely not suited to being a phone game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

They obviously meant the specific "Mega Man" series because Megaman, in general, peaked at X1

X4 > X1 imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Almost every single "kids these days :rolleyes:" trend involves adults as well. Pretty much everyone is sucked into killing time on their smart phones now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

:thunk:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why is Sephiroth hanging around with Luke Skywalker?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

Why is Sephiroth hanging around with Luke Skywalker?

he wants to learn the force

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i got really pissed off at fight n rage for throwing an insanely hard level that i couldn't beat at me 40 minutes in but then i looked at the steam community hub and saw a big post by the lead dev saying he doesn't believe there's a distinction between hardcore and casual gamers because we're all gamers and losing in a hard game is fine as long as you have fun, and now i can't be mad

That game has some pretty satisfying combat for a side scrolling beat em up.

Harrow posted:

Jesus that sounds loving awful. I just assumed that those controllers people use for phone games were more common than I thought and moved on from there.

I don't even like to play SNES JRPG ports with touch controls (and since I'm not about to get a controller for my goddamn phone I just, y'know, don't play those). Why would I ever play a shooter that way?

Most phone games don't support controllers because no one wants to bust out an extra peripheral device when they want to play a game so the next "best" thing is to add on screen controls. Also all controllers for iOS have to be Mfi certified so they end up costing more so low adoption rate=less support.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if you're going to carry around an extra device solely for game playing you're gonna make it a DS or Switch.

I guess there are those who sit on their couches at home playing phone games but I don't understand those people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I mean I assumed that controllers were basically never used for that kind of thing but when I heard about PUBG and Fortnite on mobile I was like, "Maybe not?"

Good to know that yes, nobody uses those controllers, but also it's still confusing to know that a lot of people willingly play shooters on a touch screen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wamdoodle posted:

That game has some pretty satisfying combat for a side scrolling beat em up.

i mean. the point of a side scrolling beat em up is to have satisfying combat

you should play some of capcom's later arcade output after final fight, it's a lot better than beat em ups usually get a rap for. stuff like denjin makai and battle circuit let you do lots of crazy juggling combos and special attacks

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i mean. the point of a side scrolling beat em up is to have satisfying combat

you should play some of capcom's later arcade output after final fight, it's a lot better than beat em ups usually get a rap for. stuff like denjin makai and battle circuit let you do lots of crazy juggling combos and special attacks

I should've also said "It sucks when a beat em up has anemic combat oh and also weak sounding hits" Battle Circuit and Denjin Makai and it's sequel, Guardians, are very good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Almost every single "kids these days :rolleyes:" trend involves adults as well. Pretty much everyone is sucked into killing time on their smart phones now.

The only correct way to waste time on your phone is the Awful App :smug:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The real solution is to not have children.

Or just be a more involved parent who teaches their children the value of time management and restraint but that would require effort and people are real lazy and would rather throw an ipad at a 3 year old to shut them up instead of engaging with them.

e: I feel a lot of my own issues with time management and focus are a direct result of my parents own issues with these things and basically their lovely habits became my lovely habits.

e2: 'I don't get how kids can't stop playing these games' say parents with iphones glued to their face 24/7.

parenting is a lot of work my kids have a tablet and its restricted to an hour of use a day. I do the same thing for the rest of the electronics, they get one hour to play video games or watch something then they can go dig in the dirt the rest of the day or whatever the gently caress kids are supposed to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's the year 2018 why hasn't there been an HD remake of Metamorphic Force?

• Locked thread