Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Love Lab is kinda sorta a romcom but not really but it's still Extremely Good and should be watched/read by everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I was recommended nisekoi early on and I am glad I did not pick it up

what other shonen romcoms are good besides TWGOK and MMS

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun, Rokudou no Onna-tachi, Hajime no Ippo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu is a good and cute manga about cute+dumb lovable dorks. :3:

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I know most people have probably already read it but it would be criminal not to mention Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa. It has the main couple get together well before the last chapter, and is one of the funniest things I've ever read in any genre.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Love Lab is kinda sorta a romcom but not really but it's still Extremely Good and should be watched/read by everyone.
i think i tried reading that one and it had a bunch of chapters translated out of order or something

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's not shonen, but Lovely Complex is still my favorite romcom of all time and if you haven't watched or read it you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

The previously mentioned Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa is also incredibly good and is shonen.

e: Do folks around here like Seto No Hanayome? I remember really liking it, but I don't know whether it holds up or not.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

DrSunshine posted:

Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu is a good and cute manga about cute+dumb lovable dorks. :3:

It really is. I read the whole thing during the Tomo hiatus and it's super great. Jitsu Wa is good too. I desire additional blockheads I suppose.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The one thing about Komi-san is that the ginormous secondary cast is pretty hit-or-miss. It's gotten a bit better about that over time though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Komi-san is very good and the newer characters are actually pretty good. I'm liking Manbagi so far, and Katai is really great I think. I'm glad they've also steered away from making fun of Najimi's nebulous sexuality, but that might just be by merit of her not being around as often. Still, definitely worth checking out, even though romance isn't really the primary focus (yet?).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as the cast has grown, the yandere has gotten increasingly less focus which is very good.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Komi-san, Tomo-chan, and Mousou Telepathy have been my go to reads lately. Top tier stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Komi-san is very good and the newer characters are actually pretty good. I'm liking Manbagi so far, and Katai is really great I think. I'm glad they've also steered away from making fun of Najimi's nebulous sexuality, but that might just be by merit of her not being around as often. Still, definitely worth checking out, even though romance isn't really the primary focus (yet?).

It's amusing that Manbagi appears to be becoming both Komi's and Tadano's romantic (as far as that goes) rival. And while romance isn't generally a focus, Tadano and Komi are clearly head over heels for each other.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I finished lovely complex recently it's pretty good. The pacing was a but on the slow side for me tho.

You nerds should all come blow up the recommend to read thread.

Also, is there anyone in this thread NOT following mousou telepathy? If not you're doing yourself a disservice

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Najimi is the most hit-or-miss character of the bunch by miles.

This is, of course, because...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

as the cast has grown, the yandere has gotten increasingly less focus which is very good.

is a miss-or-miss.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Iirc Najimi’s thing is a lot the translation’s fault because of their decisions regarding pronouns. She reads to me as a trans girl, tho the whole physical ability test thing appears to be on the actual author being a bit of a poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Man, We Can't Study doesn't even wait 5 chapters to introduce the tomboy childhood friend. I'm 10 in so far and liking it pretty well, so good job on the recommendations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's been a while since I read it but my impression was that it was mostly just the main character being an rear end about Najimi's gender. No one else seemed to give a poo poo. Like the chapter where the boys are sitting around fantasizing about dating girls and they threw Najimi's name around without any fuss.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Clench your teeth Jun

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 15, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

jun is a good boy

tomo is a good puncher

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
rip

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jun really is still a 10-year old boy in a ripped 16 year old's body

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sniper4625 posted:

Clench your teeth Jun

Tomo's going in dry.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Mors Rattus posted:

Iirc Najimi’s thing is a lot the translation’s fault because of their decisions regarding pronouns. She reads to me as a trans girl, tho the whole physical ability test thing appears to be on the actual author being a bit of a poo poo.

Najimi's name literally means childhood friend. The joke is that they are the childhood friend of every teenager in Japan simultaneously and since it's a romcom naturally also a love interest to every teenager in Japan regardless of gender or orientation. So it's part of the joke that Najimi's gender is impossible to define because of that but unfortunately it just ends up stepping on a lot of toes and while the idea is kinda funny, the execution is generally just average.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

RareAcumen posted:

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun, Rokudou no Onna-tachi, Hajime no Ippo

gekkan shojo nozaki-kun is really great, but the romance aspects feel so slight as to be window dressing to set the premise. it's almost 100% comedy, not really a romcom

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
jun did nothing wrong

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in nozaki-kun every single character is so exaggerated for the sake of comedy that i doubt any of them will ever manage to hook up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in nozaki-kun every single character is so exaggerated for the sake of comedy that i doubt any of them will ever manage to hook up

Seo and Waka will, though of course not intentionally.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i even forgot what my av was while i made that post

but yeah, if any of them hook up odds are it'll be some kind of gag in which one character is too dense to realize what's actually happening. or both characters

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Been reading some Kaguya wants to be confessed to, and man oh man is it worth reading for the fact that both main characters are misuzu and have their own Carol lite to help them get owned.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

jun was murdered as predicted

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

jun was murdered as predicted

He seems pretty cool with it, though. Almost excited. He's more excited to be punched than he was to touch a boob.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SpacePig posted:

He seems pretty cool with it, though. Almost excited. He's more excited to be punched than he was to touch a boob.

he tried to escape the trap but knew what his fate was from the moment he was pushed :rip:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

blood for the blood god :carol:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

SpacePig posted:

That was actually Jun's fetish all along. That and hand holding.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Welp.

Just loving welp.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Then she dodges him and falls into Carol's boobs.

A new universal constant is discovered.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mirage posted:

Then she dodges him and falls into Carol's boobs.

A new universal constant is discovered.

But what happens when Carol falls down the stairs?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Huzzah! posted:

But what happens when Carol falls down the stairs?

time paradox

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Carol has her own shock absorption.

Also I do not accept the Misuzu and that guy pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That look of acceptance.