Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize this was a possibility until I read the news. There are a lot of fans and a lot of posts on social media so it was a shocker.

frgildan posted:

I'd love for them to figure out a way post cancelation of getting Lucifer on Legends of Tommorow. Kind of like Constantine he would be a great fit.

Lucifer's cancellation is cause for sorrow
But I'd rather see Etrigan on Legends of Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Should've kept filming in Vancouver.

Also, Fox was apparently close to cancelling Lucifer last season because the ratings tanked compared to Season 1, and they were even worse this year.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This show is one of the most ill-conceived ideas of which I can think and it's a miracle that we got so many seasons out of it if I'm being honest.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Crossover made for TV movie with Tom Ellis and Tom Mison

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that was quite the cliffhanger.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Elentor posted:

Holy Hell it was! At least it went out with a good episode.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

And now I actually want to see what happens next. Motherfuckers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So what's gonna happen to the last two episodes? Didn't Fox order 22 episodes this season, on top of the four held over from last year? So technically there should be two more.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dex_sda posted:

And now I actually want to see what happens next. Motherfuckers.

Amen, we need to see Amenadiel returning to the Silver City!

Elentor posted:

When Lucifer stood up at the end we should have got The Genius type revelation with Extreme Ways playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwspIkp2cBg

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 14, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If they'd loving moved the plot forward like this 20 episodes ago we'd probably be getting another series. I'm so mad now. Next season could have been so loving great with Chloe and Lucifer on the same page.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elentor posted:

And a solid episode too.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

If they'd loving moved the plot forward like this 20 episodes ago we'd probably be getting another series. I'm so mad now. Next season could have been so loving great with Chloe and Lucifer on the same page.

Yeap

Writers shot themselves in the foot by requesting/agreeing to 24 episodes. This season's stuff was enough for 13 episodes with some lulls that wouldn't detract much. Instead they stretched themselves thin and lost a chunk of their audience.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Looks like they honestly thought having this cliffhanger would increase demand for the next season and force it. Oh well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chloe should have learned the truth by season 2 at the latest; and then they should have leaned into the supernatural side of the show, instead of keeping it as the C plot.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Chloe should have learned the truth by season 2 at the latest; and then they should have leaned into the supernatural side of the show, instead of keeping it as the C plot.

I do agree, although the way it transpired in this finale was really really exciting and well executed. So I guess what I'm saying is make this dumb love triangle and the sinnerman plot resolve after a few episodes in the beginning of season 3.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Well poo poo, that really was an amazing episode and I'm kind of legit pissed that we'll never get to see the fallout from it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was a fantastic series finale imo. What an ending shot for the show.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

New thread title: I guess I’ll watch Bones instead now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dex_sda posted:

Writers shot themselves in the foot by requesting/agreeing to 24 episodes. This season's stuff was enough for 13 episodes with some lulls that wouldn't detract much. Instead they stretched themselves thin and lost a chunk of their audience.

Orrr they could have told that plot in 13 episodes and then told another chunk of story in the following 11.

It's a writer's fault for not knowing what to do with the episodes they have, and not their fault for having those episodes in the first place.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell of an exit guys, hats off.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Orrr they could have told that plot in 13 episodes and then told another chunk of story in the following 11.

It's a writer's fault for not knowing what to do with the episodes they have, and not their fault for having those episodes in the first place.

Sure.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Great episode, though it's probably also partly the reason why the season was otherwise so dull - I figure they had written (at least the basic idea of) this episode first, then written the rest of the season to match the plot points touched upon in the finale, without realizing that those plot points couldn't carry the season on their own.

They handled Chloe's realization pretty well, at least she accepted that Lucifer had been telling her the truth all along the moment there was some undeniable circumstantial evidence - with her seeing his devil face just being formality. I mean, given how they've handled her introduction to the divine so far, you'd be halfway afraid she'd just ignore suddenly being on top of a skyscraper, be surprised by Lucifer's devil face, and then the next season try to deny it as her seeing things due to extreme stress. It's certainly ending the show on a high note, after the rest of the season had been a bit of a wet fart.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
When I saw the finale, I had a deja-vu experience with the finale to Forever - an immortal's true nature is finally revealed to his police detective partner. Just with more loose ends.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I definitely fist-pumped when the Dead Weather showed up as the music for the climactic fight scene. I mean, there were a ton of things I enjoyed about the finale and was in retrospect frustrated that didn't carry over into the other back half of the season, but that was awesome.

Speaking of things I was frustrated about, I think the avclub's reviewer LaToya Ferguson sums it up pretty well but to paraphrase, it's that the finale really tied together the whole Sinnerman mystique into the person of Pierce really well in a way they didn't do throughout the season. You see that the bland, affable cop guy, the petulant ancient murderer, and the whispered-of mob boss are all the same person in a way that ties it all up together both plotwise and emotionally---which they loving needed to do half a season ago. So frustrating, especially now that this is the show's sendoff.

I'm not even mad about it taking this long for Chloe to get in on it; it's just the whole Cain thing spun its wheels so long when, say, all along they could have showed him operating his dirty empire or something for dramatic kicks while spinning out the tedious Chloe/Cain/Lucifer triangle instead of dropping that entire thread for most of the season.

Also Mazikeen said sorry to Linda and I was half expecting more of Pierce's goons to break down Linda's door, but nope they just patched each other up and hugged. Which was honestly fine. I was happy to see that almost more than any of the other story beats.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

atomicgeek posted:

Speaking of things I was frustrated about, I think the avclub's reviewer LaToya Ferguson sums it up pretty well but to paraphrase, it's that the finale really tied together the whole Sinnerman mystique into the person of Pierce really well in a way they didn't do throughout the season. You see that the bland, affable cop guy, the petulant ancient murderer, and the whispered-of mob boss are all the same person in a way that ties it all up together both plotwise and emotionally---which they loving needed to do half a season ago. So frustrating, especially now that this is the show's sendoff.
I had literally forgotten all about the mob boss favor-granting angle.

atomicgeek posted:

I'm not even mad about it taking this long for Chloe to get in on it; it's just the whole Cain thing spun its wheels so long when, say, all along they could have showed him operating his dirty empire or something for dramatic kicks while spinning out the tedious Chloe/Cain/Lucifer triangle instead of dropping that entire thread for most of the season.
Yeah, Cain could have been a pretty good foil to Lucifer really, since the two touch upon a lot of the same stuff but in very different ways. Lucifer has an openly relaxed relationship with the law, is completely honest but comes off as dishonest because his truth is kinda crazy, and his favors seem relatively moral. Meanwhile, Pierce literally presents himself as a representative of the law, cloaks his dishonesty in down to earth practicality, and grants favors to the exact kind of people Lucifer would rather punish.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Dervyn posted:

When I saw the finale, I had a deja-vu experience with the finale to Forever - an immortal's true nature is finally revealed to his police detective partner. Just with more loose ends.

Oh, that's why this sting felt familiar. Son of a bitch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did he finally reveal himself to Chloe in the finale? Season 3 ain't streaming here yet. --edit: yea seems they did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, there are still two more episodes left, both filmed and both designed to be standalone. So however monumental this cliffhanger was meant to be it would still have resulted in business as usual come next season. I'm interested in how similar the new status quo will be to the current one, but the fundamental problems that I know I have with this show -- too procedural, no pace on the overarching plots -- would probably have persisted into the next season.

(Oh, and one of the episodes is focused around Ella, who I like, but I know people here don't? Anyway...)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

zamiel posted:

Oh, that's why this sting felt familiar. Son of a bitch.

:(:hf::(

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dervyn posted:

Man I was so mad when they canceled that show.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Oh, and one of the episodes is focused around Ella, who I like, but I know people here don't? Anyway...)

I love Ella. :(

Edit: Lest we forget

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 16, 2018

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dervyn posted:

When I saw the finale, I had a deja-vu experience with the finale to Forever

Initially thought you were talking about Forever Knight - now THAT was a way to end a series and a will they won't they relationship.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

atomicgeek posted:

Finally Aimee Garcia's best GIF is no longer the famed Dexter Salad GIF

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Initially thought you were talking about Forever Knight - now THAT was a way to end a series and a will they won't they relationship.

By nuking it from orbit. I have to admire the chutzpah of a show not afraid to just go "rocks fall everyone dies" with its entire premise on learning they'd been cancelled.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

atomicgeek posted:

Wonder how many takes that took because they could not stop laughing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wonder how many takes that took because they could not stop laughing.

iirc it was ad libbed

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Azhais posted:

iirc it was ad libbed

Whether it is or not, Lucifer visibly going "oh this is happening now, we're doing this, okay, cool" and leaning back is fantastic :haw:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If only Lucifer had said "It's a long story."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

If only Lucifer had said "It's a long story."

I miss forever too... Honestly I think forever deserved renewal for a second season more than Lucifer deserved a 4th. It was a great show and the procedural side of it was much better than average.

If you're craving more Ioan Gruffudd, he is currently playing another crime solving forensic pathologist (not of the immortal variety however) in the really good Australian tv show Harrow. Season one is 10 episodes and it has been renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

I miss forever too... Honestly I think forever deserved renewal for a second season more than Lucifer deserved a 4th. It was a great show and the procedural side of it was much better than average.

If you're craving more Ioan Gruffudd, he is currently playing another crime solving forensic pathologist (not of the immortal variety however) in the really good Australian tv show Harrow. Season one is 10 episodes and it has been renewed.

Would recommend Harrow for more Gruffudd. I just randomly found the show and caught the first episode solely because of him. It was a solid first season and he was great in it.

• Locked thread