Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fishmech posted:

No, this didn't happen.

It’s not literally underclocking but a 5-30% performance hit because you hosed up memory management isn’t something you can blame on a totally different company holding technology back: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16844630/intel-processor-security-flaw-bug-kernel-windows-linux

The tech world’s full of garbage engineering. Blaming that all on Apple is just being willfully delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dewgy posted:

It’s not literally underclocking but a 5-30% performance hit because you hosed up memory management isn’t something you can blame on a totally different company holding technology back: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16844630/intel-processor-security-flaw-bug-kernel-windows-linux

That's a radically different thing from underclocking. It also doesn't apply to a lot of CPUs especially after proper microcode changes came in, since there were changes between various generations that are incidentally very useful for applying the security changes necessary. It's a massively complex topic, but in tons of cases the perfromance impacts were so minor that they couldn't be measured, especially when you were using 2 year old equipment instead of barely supported 10 year old equipment. There's also that the implications of it are going to mean reduced performance on pretty much all CPU architectures going back to the invention of out of order execution, if the CPUs ever even getting patched, since the basic concept of the attacks will work on nearly all of them. Intel's was just easiest to exploit immediately, and focused on because they have by far the majority server/desktop/laptop share.

You know who did underclock a whole bunch of people's CPUs for absolutely no reason though? Apple, on their older iPhones and iPads, just to gently caress over anyone who hadn't bought a new battery from them recently enough. That of course only affects the small minority of people who use Apple products.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fishmech posted:

You know who did underclock a whole bunch of people's CPUs for absolutely no reason though? Apple, on their older iPhones and iPads, just to gently caress over anyone who hadn't bought a new battery from them recently enough. That of course only affects the small minority of people who use Apple products.

If what Intel did isn’t underclocking then this also didn’t happen. But I mean, fishmech gonna fishmech.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dewgy posted:

If what Intel did isn’t underclocking then this also didn’t happen. But I mean, fishmech gonna fishmech.

Apple literally lowered the clockrate on the CPU in the iPhones and iPads. For instance, iPhone 6 units typically run at 1400 MHz, users who had batteries Apple deemed too old and needing service would find their devices now never exceeded 600 MHz after certain iOS updates. Getting the battery replaced would return the units to the normal maximum clock speed.

Meanwhile Intel never touched the clockrates and the varying performance impacts depended on particular actions that programs were doing, and further depended on which generation and thus featureset the CPU had as to how the security mitigations would impact those. That's why the performance impacts could vary from literally 0% to as bad as 35% with the worst combination of program, CPU generation, and security mitigations in place.

These are completely different things, and only one of them is underclocking.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was going to mention Codename: Tenka for the PS1, but apparently that was a Psygnosis-produced FPS that I blundered my way through on the first generation of "Dualshock" controller, not a Japanese FPS game. :v:

But my god was I bad at console FPS games.

One of my first console shooters as kid and boy was it a scary experience. This and Duke Total Meltdown were my first console shooters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fishmech posted:

Apple literally lowered the clockrate on the CPU in the iPhones and iPads. For instance, iPhone 6 units typically run at 1400 MHz, users who had batteries Apple deemed too old and needing service would find their devices now never exceeded 600 MHz.

This is because with how the power management works, a lovely battery would make it freak out and just straight up shut down with half battery left, so the throttling gets you more uptime as opposed to the thing deciding it didn’t have enough power to run at all. (Check out people having their phone shut off at 30-40% and refusing to come back on until plugged in.) Higher clock speed doesn’t do much for you if it refuses to turn on.

Calling it a permanent underclock also isn’t true, it’ll only kick in when it detects a problem and shut off when there isn’t. If they wanted to force people into upgrades they’d have just left it as is. (They absolutely hosed up rolling this out though and waited far too long to make it a manual setting, that’s for sure.)

E: To get more back on track, did anything ever come of Blood EX? I thought the devs were teasing some kind of new development a few weeks ago.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 15, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dewgy posted:

E: To get more back on track, did anything ever come of Blood EX? I thought the devs were teasing some kind of new development a few weeks ago.
Kaiser's working on Forsaken EX as his day job, and presumably Powerslave EX 2: Actually Legal Edition after that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

I mean, it could be a grand conspiracy where every company in the world sees how Apple does things and follows in lock step, sure, but we also live in the age where Intel just had to underclock a massive portion of their shipped processors to patch a security hole.

I don’t think technology is being hampered as much as you want to think it is. But thanks, that does mean the short version is it’s a “consoles are holding games back” argument. :)

No, it isn't. Consoles have a place in the gaming market and serve the purpose of giving consumers easy-access home entertainment. Apple has no place in the computer market and serve no purpose other than to put money in their own pocket and make closed-source technology. Said technology which is conveniently also not compatible with anything other than stuff from their own product line. And like I said, it really bugged me that Steve Jobs was super proud of himself for creating specifically that type of brand, which he 100% was by all accounts.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Kaiser's working on Forsaken EX as his day job, and presumably Powerslave EX 2: Actually Legal Edition after that.

Yeah, I think we can all wait for BloodEX until these projects are actually finished and released.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
E: it’s really not worth continuing this derail lol

vvv the fact that he basically self destructed by thinking he was smarter than medical science will always stand as pretty much the most Steve Jobs thing he ever did

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 15, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Steve Jobs' own arrogance killed him, I know it's not nice to speak ill of the dead but by virtually all accounts the guy was a massive insufferable prick.

He got exactly what he both deserved and wanted.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

fishmech posted:

Really the only thing he did well at marketing, was marketing himself as good at marketing.

See also Trump, Donald.

---

In other news, my god is Blood great. I never really had a chance to enjoy it properly thanks to that heinous difficulty bug that was never fixed.

I'm on the second episode and I just find more and more great things about it. The arsenal alone is full of praise; I'm constantly switching between weapons because they're all useful and fun to use.

Can't wait to play Death Wish too :)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Narcissus1916 posted:

See also Trump, Donald.

---

In other news, my god is Blood great. I never really had a chance to enjoy it properly thanks to that heinous difficulty bug that was never fixed.

I'm on the second episode and I just find more and more great things about it. The arsenal alone is full of praise; I'm constantly switching between weapons because they're all useful and fun to use.

Can't wait to play Death Wish too :)

Wait, Blood had a difficulty bug? I thought it was just a bastard of a game.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, Blood had a difficulty bug? I thought it was just a bastard of a game.

The difficulty scales (damage and such) are reversed when loading a game for some reason.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rocket Pan posted:

The difficulty scales (damage and such) are reversed when loading a game for some reason.

Huh, is there a fix now for it, or some sort of workaround?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 16, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: beat to the punch

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

ETPC posted:

So. Rage 2 isn't built on id Tech.

This feels weird. Almost heretical.

https://twitter.com/CHSundberg/status/996465633238937600

So it's confirmed to not have at least 20gb of textures, this is good

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, is there a fix now for it, or some sort of workaround?

Unless BloodGDX fixes it (and if you want to use BloodGDX), not really. Well, except for playing in the medium difficulty, which means logically the scale is the same even when reversed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HolyKrap posted:

So it's confirmed to not have at least 20gb of textures, this is good

Instead it will have 40 GB of uncompressed audio :unsmigghh:

Nothing specific to that engine, just seems to be a thing games are doing these days

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ETPC posted:

So. Rage 2 isn't built on id Tech.

This feels weird. Almost heretical.

https://twitter.com/CHSundberg/status/996465633238937600

I mean Quake Champions is built on some weird combo of Saber’s engine that still exists for some reason and idTech so it’s not that weird. Also this pretty much confirms primary dev was Avalanche so that’s cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

With Carmack long-gone and with the success of Doom 2016 I wonder if Bethesda views id as a proper game developer and not the tech division they originally planned them to be.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
More Japanese FPS talk. Sorry about taking a few days, life got in the way. The following were made in the post Doom/Quake era. A lot of these ended up more competent, albeit still very eastern influenced.

Kileak: The DNA Imperative (PS1) made by Genki in 1995. A doomlike in which you play an operative of the International Peacekeeping Force as you navigate an Antarctic research facility to stop illegal genetic engineered mutant dna of the first creature on earth, the Kileak. A sequel for the PSX was released in 1996.
https://youtu.be/TlPrF4FrmRU

Space Griffon VF-9 (PS1) made by in 1995. A doomlike where you pilot a mecha in very flat playing area. Your goal is to take out other mecha as you move through the level.
https://youtu.be/lrwCeDdJUV8

Expert (PS1) made by Nichibutsu in 1996. A doomlike that has you playing as a member of the elite special operation team “Expert.” Weapons are traditional, realistic firearms. You navigate a set of offices to reach the top floor.
https://youtu.be/59wMx_oFR1Q

Jumping Flash! (PS1) made by Exact and Ultra in 1995. A cute platformer where you must navigate a very colorful 3D polygon world where you must collect jet pods throughout each level before leaving. The design allows for double jumps, air control, as well as tilting the view downward automatically while in the air to allow easier landings. Simple “shadows” are used to pinpoint impact to help stick the landing. Sequels Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1) and Robbit Mon Dieu (PS1) were made in 96 and 99 respectively.
https://youtu.be/rAONnDAYJOE

Gungriffon (Saturn) made by Games Art in 1995. In my opinion the start of the most competent Japanese FPS game series. You pilot an mecha taking out enemy facilities and mechas alike. The gameplay is very reminiscent to Looking Glass’ Alpha Centauri. The series get better as the years go on. Sequels Gungriffon 2 (Saturn), Gungriffon Blaze (PS2), and Gungriffon Allied Strike (XBox) were released in 98, 2000, and 2004.
https://youtu.be/pZdYDe47nyU

Metal Head (Sega 32x) made by Sega in 1995. A competent mixture of 2.5 and true 3D, Metal Head has the player pilot a mecha through urban environments taking out enemy mecha, tanks, etc in a set timelimit. Outshined by Gungriffon, it still out paced contemporaries like Ghen War and Crazy Ivan.
https://youtu.be/czY_VC_WO-A

Tokusou Kidoutai J-Swat (Saturn) made by Japan Media Programming in 1996. Probably the worst J-FPS, you control a member of Tokyo Swat in the attempts to stop a terrorist event. A number of similarIties between this and the R6 franchise, to include prep time. Convoluted controls and awkward voice acting make this a bad spot on the whole.
https://youtu.be/ok2qxSC0_00

Enemy Zero (Saturn) made by WARP in 1996. Another Doomlike mixed with survival and horror tropes. You navigate a huge biological research space station while looking for the titular Enemy Zero, a super mutant monster that takes out the cast similar to Alien. Movement and reloading are purposefully slow to add suspense to the gameplay.
https://youtu.be/5swQxSG-jRw

Outrigger (Dreamcast) developed by Sega AM2 in 1999. One of two Japanese FPS games i played while they were new (the other being Maken X). Outrigger is probably to closest to a western Arena FPS game, mixing rocket launchers and shotguns, as well as multiplayer. It is face paced and handles fairly well despite the Dreamcast controller.
https://youtu.be/KQU5At32sOw

Maken X (Dreamcast) made by Altus in 1999. The last of the “early FPS” in the group. Made by the designers of The Megami Tensei series, you play as an AI Living Sword that has the ability to “brain jack” it’s wielder, taking over their body. The art style and storyline is very anime and the English voice acting is pretty poor, but the gameplay is wholly unique. More of a first person fighter, your ownly weapon being the titular Maken sword. Enemy’s can be locked onto similar to the Metroid Prime series, then the player can build combos, parry attacks, and power up strikes to deal critical damage. A branching story line allows for multiple unique endings. If you can get past the anime stylings and poor voice acting, the game is an absolute trip.
https://youtu.be/GpxwSDPUaYc

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAONnDAYJOE&t=1426s

this is so loving cool

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Before they made Jumping Flash, Exact made Geograph Seal for the Sharp X68000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qca_bXtxIe4

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I didn’t know about Geograph Seal! I found out about most of these games going through Wikipedia and Emulation websites but never looked up the ZX.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The PSX and PS2 Armored Core games all had first person modes but idk if anyone really bothered playing them that way. Probably vomit city with how fast you navigate complex maps with quite a bit of verticality and general emphasis on aerial combat..

Here's someone playing one of the later ps2 titles in first person. His AC is a little on the slow side, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx2GhrOZFUk

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 16, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dewgy posted:

This is because with how the power management works, a lovely battery would make it freak out and just straight up shut down with half battery left, so the throttling gets you more uptime as opposed to the thing deciding it didn’t have enough power to run at all. (Check out people having their phone shut off at 30-40% and refusing to come back on until plugged in.) Higher clock speed doesn’t do much for you if it refuses to turn on.

Calling it a permanent underclock also isn’t true, it’ll only kick in when it detects a problem and shut off when there isn’t. If they wanted to force people into upgrades they’d have just left it as is. (They absolutely hosed up rolling this out though and waited far too long to make it a manual setting, that’s for sure.)

Again, this is not something that had to be done. All the phones were functioning fine before the update, then they suddenly dump it in and apply it across the board with no regard for how the phones work. The "problem" it detects is "you haven't given us money in a while".

Merely having short battery life is no reason the phone needs to be permanently slowed, in fact it's often worse for usable life because of the fact that the CPU needs to be active longer for intense tasks.

BattleMaster posted:

With Carmack long-gone and with the success of Doom 2016 I wonder if Bethesda views id as a proper game developer and not the tech division they originally planned them to be.

Honestly that never made sense, the attitude they seemed to go for of "just make the tech". Most engine development benefits greatly from having a game you're directly working on that serves to direct focus on what to fix and implement.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Gungriffon (Saturn) made by Games Art in 1995. In my opinion the start of the most competent Japanese FPS game series. You pilot an mecha taking out enemy facilities and mechas alike. The gameplay is very reminiscent to Looking Glass’ Alpha Centauri. The series get better as the years go on. Sequels Gungriffon 2 (Saturn), Gungriffon Blaze (PS2), and Gungriffon Allied Strike (XBox) were released in 98, 2000, and 2004.

There's also a fan-made remake/spiritual successor called HIGH-MACS Simulator.
http://ggsim.webcrow.jp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uodW4jC6pg

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Replaying Rage, and I gotta say, I'm getting a sorta... Strife vibe from it.

I'd kinda like to see how a modern Strife would look.

Rocket Pan posted:

Unless BloodGDX fixes it (and if you want to use BloodGDX), not really. Well, except for playing in the medium difficulty, which means logically the scale is the same even when reversed.

I'm pretty sure it's fixed in BloodGDX.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've actually never played Rage, but if Rage 2 shapes up to be a good game, I may consider paying the 80 cents (or whatever) Rage will go on sale for at the end of the year--just so I'm not lost on the plot.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've actually never played Rage, but if Rage 2 shapes up to be a good game, I may consider paying the 80 cents (or whatever) Rage will go on sale for at the end of the year--just so I'm not lost on the plot.

Don't play the game for the plot or the driving sections, just go from main mission to main mission. I'm serious, the game is fine. I think it's just unfocused so focus only on the main game and try avoiding the fluff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isthereanydeal.com currently shows RAGE at $8 if you've never played it and wanna try it out. It's a good game, definitely 8-bucks-good. More than that? I dunno I guess that's up to you but 8 dollars really does not break the bank.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Probably the worst J-FPS, you control a member of Tokyo Swat in the attempts to stop a terrorist event.

Man I've seen some typos in my day but I don't know how you misspelled "Probably the best dating sim, you control a handsome but awkward heads-up display that goes to warehouse school and gets into tap dance battles in the halls to embarrass the hunks and win all the cute babes."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I’m reinstalling Rage because I forget most of it and why the hell not.

Searching for it in my library reminded me that I own Alien Rage and boy is that a bad loving FPS.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I enjoyed Rage but I got it at a sub $10 price point and went into it with low expectations based on what I had heard. I don't really care much for racing games but there wasn't as much of that as I had expected either.

There's a lot to do and see but don't go exploring without a quest because in spite of the open world appearance you won't make it far, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

I’m reinstalling Rage because I forget most of it and why the hell not.

Searching for it in my library reminded me that I own Alien Rage and boy is that a bad loving FPS.

I'm intrigued by Alien Rage, but all I've heard about it is that it's bad. Not even why, just that it's bad. I wish there were more alien invasion games, really. I just love fighting aliens.

Odddzy posted:

Don't play the game for the plot or the driving sections, just go from main mission to main mission. I'm serious, the game is fine. I think it's just unfocused so focus only on the main game and try avoiding the fluff.

I agree with this, the "open world" is pretty empty, absolutely do not think of it like Fallout. I think this is one of the places Rage 2 can really stand above the first one, with a more interesting world to explore. I think it has a lot of potential, I'm kinda excited about this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

I'm intrigued by Alien Rage, but all I've heard about it is that it's bad. Not even why, just that it's bad. I wish there were more alien invasion games, really. I just love fighting aliens.

The shooting feels real bad and enemies are cheap as all hell. The game is difficult in that "we have no idea how to make good encounters or fun enemies" kind of crappy, C-tier, budget FPS way. It's just a really frustrating game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Do the Rage DLCs if you want some good missions from this game than just corridor shooting. It varies things up nicely.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Lol, don't play it for the plot

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

More Japanese FPS talk. Sorry about taking a few days, life got in the way. The following were made in the post Doom/Quake era. A lot of these ended up more competent, albeit still very eastern influenced.

Kileak: The DNA Imperative (PS1) made by Genki in 1995. A doomlike in which you play an operative of the International Peacekeeping Force as you navigate an Antarctic research facility to stop illegal genetic engineered mutant dna of the first creature on earth, the Kileak. A sequel for the PSX was released in 1996.
https://youtu.be/TlPrF4FrmRU

Space Griffon VF-9 (PS1) made by in 1995. A doomlike where you pilot a mecha in very flat playing area. Your goal is to take out other mecha as you move through the level.
https://youtu.be/lrwCeDdJUV8

Expert (PS1) made by Nichibutsu in 1996. A doomlike that has you playing as a member of the elite special operation team “Expert.” Weapons are traditional, realistic firearms. You navigate a set of offices to reach the top floor.
https://youtu.be/59wMx_oFR1Q

Jumping Flash! (PS1) made by Exact and Ultra in 1995. A cute platformer where you must navigate a very colorful 3D polygon world where you must collect jet pods throughout each level before leaving. The design allows for double jumps, air control, as well as tilting the view downward automatically while in the air to allow easier landings. Simple “shadows” are used to pinpoint impact to help stick the landing. Sequels Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1) and Robbit Mon Dieu (PS1) were made in 96 and 99 respectively.
https://youtu.be/rAONnDAYJOE

Metal Head (Sega 32x) made by Sega in 1995. A competent mixture of 2.5 and true 3D, Metal Head has the player pilot a mecha through urban environments taking out enemy mecha, tanks, etc in a set timelimit. Outshined by Gungriffon, it still out paced contemporaries like Ghen War and Crazy Ivan.
https://youtu.be/czY_VC_WO-A

Tokusou Kidoutai J-Swat (Saturn) made by Japan Media Programming in 1996. Probably the worst J-FPS, you control a member of Tokyo Swat in the attempts to stop a terrorist event. A number of similarIties between this and the R6 franchise, to include prep time. Convoluted controls and awkward voice acting make this a bad spot on the whole.

Enemy Zero (Saturn) made by WARP in 1996. Another Doomlike mixed with survival and horror tropes. You navigate a huge biological research space station while looking for the titular Enemy Zero, a super mutant monster that takes out the cast similar to Alien. Movement and reloading are purposefully slow to add suspense to the gameplay.
https://youtu.be/5swQxSG-jRw

Outrigger (Dreamcast) developed by Sega AM2 in 1999. One of two Japanese FPS games i played while they were new (the other being Maken X). Outrigger is probably to closest to a western Arena FPS game, mixing rocket launchers and shotguns, as well as multiplayer. It is face paced and handles fairly well despite the Dreamcast controller.
https://youtu.be/KQU5At32sOw

Maken X (Dreamcast) made by Altus in 1999. The last of the “early FPS” in the group. Made by the designers of The Megami Tensei series, you play as an AI Living Sword that has the ability to “brain jack” it’s wielder, taking over their body. The art style and storyline is very anime and the English voice acting is pretty poor, but the gameplay is wholly unique. More of a first person fighter, your ownly weapon being the titular Maken sword. Enemy’s can be locked onto similar to the Metroid Prime series, then the player can build combos, parry attacks, and power up strikes to deal critical damage. A branching story line allows for multiple unique endings. If you can get past the anime stylings and poor voice acting, the game is an absolute trip.
https://youtu.be/GpxwSDPUaYc

Good stuff. Allow me to add some:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptor_(video_game) PSX: Which you had firearms and psionic powers. You couldn't dual wield them though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GQT1ibZFk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Soldier PSX: Got it's start on the Jaguar. You piloted a mech and it was more arcade based.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xsXcR1xxc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_Ivan PSX/Saturn: You play as the titular Ivan. Lots of fake Russian accents for the cut scenes with just OK gameplay. Made by Psygnosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vB7x2e2Zs

Machine Head PSX/Saturn : So obscure, there's no Wiki page for it. I'll write up what I remember. It's the far future. A deadly virus mutates everything it touches, literally everything. You play a scientist that designed a nuclear bomb to wipe out the plague but it has to be deposited in the very heart of the infection. I can't remember if there was a reason it couldn't be airdropped. It is decided that the bomb will be attached to a one person hover bike type vehicle, loaded with weapons. It's a one way trip with few qualified pilots. Your scummy partner knocks you out and traps you on the bike and you have no choice but to drive the bomb yourself. Made by Core Design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluNhQ6dueg

catlord posted:

Alien Rage is friggin balls hard and not in a good way. The enemies have pinpoint accuracy. You die VERY quickly even on the normal difficulty. The weapons are also pretty anemic all told. There's a scoring system that encourages kill chains and stylish kills and risk taking but you absolutely cannot get into a firefight without plinking away at the enemies. Upgrades unlock with the accumulated points but they do very little to mitigate the frustration of dying constantly. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old :shrug:

Edit: Yeah, what Yodzilla said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Wamdoodle posted:

Good stuff. Allow me to add some:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptor_(video_game) PSX: Which you had firearms and psionic powers. You couldn't dual wield them though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GQT1ibZFk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Soldier PSX: Got it's start on the Jaguar. You piloted a mech and it was more arcade based.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xsXcR1xxc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_Ivan PSX/Saturn: You play as the titular Ivan. Lots of fake Russian accents for the cut scenes with just OK gameplay. Made by Psygnosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vB7x2e2Zs

Machine Head PSX/Saturn : So obscure, there's no Wiki page for it. I'll write up what I remember. It's the far future. A deadly virus mutates everything it touches, literally everything. You play a scientist that designed a nuclear bomb to wipe out the plague but it has to be deposited in the very heart of the infection. I can't remember if there was a reason it couldn't be airdropped. It is decided that the bomb will be attached to a one person hover bike type vehicle, loaded with weapons. It's a one way trip with few qualified pilots. Your scummy partner knocks you out and traps you on the bike and you have no choice but to drive the bomb yourself. Made by Core Design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluNhQ6dueg

You're cheating since they're not FPSs from glorious nippon Japan, but good finds. These were in a lot of bargain bins back in the day when I was a kid.