Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

J-Ro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0a3LyabWgo

Which brings me to my question: remember Lacey Von Erich? She tried her best, bless her heart but oooof it wasn't good. That male Von Erich tag team seemed ok-ish though.
By all accounts, I've heard that Lacey was a great person which isn't something you could say about most Von Erich.

It's also weird to think back to a time where TNA was the cutting edge of wrestling. If Hulk and Bischoff hadn't came to TNA who knows where they'd be at now (Probably still irrelevant, but maybe a little more relevant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

gammon is cured differently and is thickly cut like steak

If you buy a ham you can cut it as thick as you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

gammon is cured differently and is thickly cut like steak

So Canadian bacon?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

So I've just been informed that as part of the stag party I'll be attending in July, the gang has been signed up for an afternoon of wrestling training with Lance Storm. Am I going to die? Apparently we'll be taught how to run the ropes, take back bumps and if there's time, worked punches.

Also, yes, I am posting this mostly to brag.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just don't say anything mean about Canada, I guess. Or say anything nice about libraries.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Sandman McMahon posted:

So I've just been informed that as part of the stag party I'll be attending in July, the gang has been signed up for an afternoon of wrestling training with Lance Storm. Am I going to die? Apparently we'll be taught how to run the ropes, take back bumps and if there's time, worked punches.

Depends how often he makes you do it, but most likely you will be pretty sore the next day. It should be fun though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We call Kevin Nash the smartest man in wrestling, but couldn't the case also be made for Brock, who can get the WWE to pay him obscene amount of money for less and less ring time? And make him champion? And have someone else do all his talking for him?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

We call Kevin Nash the smartest man in wrestling, but couldn't the case also be made for Brock, who can get the WWE to pay him obscene amount of money for less and less ring time? And make him champion? And have someone else do all his talking for him?

The only real smartest man in wrestling is Hogan if we're talking about the modern era.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

The only real smartest man in wrestling is Hogan if we're talking about the modern era.

Except for the legdrop bit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also the racial slurs.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

And the haircut

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

Except for the legdrop bit.

Nash's body is also a wreck.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sandman McMahon posted:

If it's like a typical first month in wrestling school, probably 90% of what you'll be doing will be brutal cardio stuff. Two minutes of hitting the ropes could feel like a 20 minute sprint. So going balls-out on cardio beforehand will help you out for sure.

Anyway that is awesome!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Wikipedia says: :eng101:

"Fish and O'Reilly won the match [vs Sanity @ NXT 11/29/17] and were originally champions as a duo, but after Fish suffered a torn ACL and torn MCL in his left knee, he was replaced by Adam Cole who, at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans on April 7, 2018 was considered champion with Fish and O'Reilly under the Freebird Rule, with WWE crediting him as "the first ever double champion in NXT history" after he won the NXT North American Championship in the same night. However, on the April 11 tapings of NXT, Strong became recognized as champion in Cole's place, with Cole's reign becoming retroactively unrecognized. WWE recognizes this as a single uninterrupted reign for Fish, O'Reilly, and Strong that began on December 20, 2017, when Fish and O'Reilly's title win episode aired on tape delay."

So yeah, sort of a Freebird Rule Deluxe, where Cole was only considered Fish's proxy.

god that's dumb

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

After WWE finally pushed me over the edge, I'm just about ready to really get into NJPW. I'll be picking up their thing at the start of June and I want a crash course in good poo poo in their backlog to watch. I've already seen the two Okada/Omegas, as well as their last few major shows.

Basically just give me some good matches to binge the hell out of in a few weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ShootaBoy posted:

After WWE finally pushed me over the edge, I'm just about ready to really get into NJPW. I'll be picking up their thing at the start of June and I want a crash course in good poo poo in their backlog to watch. I've already seen the two Okada/Omegas, as well as their last few major shows.

Basically just give me some good matches to binge the hell out of in a few weeks.

There's a third Okada/Omega!

Watch the last few G1 finals, especially the Omega/Naito matches (it was on the second to last night two years ago) and well... there's a lot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI

Here is a spreadsheet with all of the good NJPW matches, complete with link to each match

Watch all of Ishii’s matches on that list from the last 2 G1 tournaments, imo

Watch Okada vs Shibata from 2017 (Sakura Genesis?) if you don’t mind seeing a dude end his career

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Styles-Suzuki 2014 G1, 8/1/14
Styles-Tanahashi 2015 G1 8/14/15
Naito-Ibushi and Okada-Omega from the 2017 G1
Omega-Naito G1 climax 2016
Nakamura-Okada G1 climax 2015
Shibata-Okada Sakura Genesis 2017 (warning: nasty shoot headbutt)
Shibata-Ishii Wrestle Kingdom 2016, New Beginning in Osaka 2016, New Japan Cup 2017
Nakamura-La Sombra Kizuna Road 2014
Nakamura-Ibushi Wrestle Kingdom 2015
Nakamura-Styles Wrestle Kingdom 2016
Styles-Okada
Omega-Naito G1 climax 2017
Omega-Goto G1 Climax 2016
All the Okada Tanahashi Wrestle Kingdom matches

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

My list will be Omega heavy as I'm a massive fan of Kenny, in part because I remember when he was just a comedy midcarder for Don "Cyrus/The Jackal" Callis' promotion that ran Winnipeg (where Kenny is from) and Thunder Bay (where I live). Watching him go from that, to weirdo otaku megaface in DDT, to wildly over the top arrogant heel in NJPW has been a delight.

I left out Omega vs Okada because you already saw 2 of the matches. I urge you to check out the third though, in part because a fourth match is scheduled soon and Okada defends his IWGP championship against Omega in a 2/3 falls No Time Limit match. If Okada wins, he will have the greatest title reign ever in terms of both days AND successful defences (hell, throw match quality in there, too). If Omega wins, he proves himself right: he carries this company, he's the best bout machine. Well, and of course he becomes IWGP champion, a belt he's never held.

Watch:

Shibata vs Goto (Dominion '13)
Okada vs Nakamura (G1 25)
Omega vs Naito I (g1 26 Semi-finals, possibly my favorite Kenny match that he's had without Okada in it)
Omega vs Naito II (g1 27 Finals , here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyL-Ti7rlc )
Omega vs Ishii (G1 USA Special, IWGP US Championship torunament finals)
Tanahashi vs Okada (pick one, they're all loving great, seriously)
Okada vs Naito (Wrestle Kingdom 12, IWGP Championship match)
AJ Styles vs Okada (Again, either matches)
Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho, for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship (Wrestle Kingdom 12)

There's other great stuff but I'll let others handle that. Enjoy.

edit: If they ever let him post on Youtube again, find a guy named Showbuckle's videos on NJPW. He offers context to matches and angles and even NJPW employees (like Kenny Omega and Kevin Kelly) like the videos

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 15, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ShootaBoy posted:

2013 g1 night four

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't like the angle of two wrestlers fighting to figure out something about their 'real' match, champions in particular. How do you feel, about it? I'll be glad if you feel differently

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I should clarify, i mean their 'real' match, that will come at a later date. meaning they are wrestling to set up wrestling. As a single, as a champion, it doesnt seem roight.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Before you go backlog diving, be aware the Best of the Super Juniors tournament starts soon and will give you enough delicious wrestling to put you into a wrestling coma, stat.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

edit: If they ever let him post on Youtube again, find a guy named Showbuckle's videos on NJPW. He offers context to matches and angles and even NJPW employees (like Kenny Omega and Kevin Kelly) like the videos

They're on Vimeo now, which is less likely to remove them.

More suggestions: Hiromu Takahashi's title run (Starts at WK11, goes to Dominion). Evil vs Okada in the G1, Kenny vs Juice Robinson (also in the G1). Older matches worth checking out include some of Apollo 55's tag team matches, and also the ones against each other after Prince Devitt splits to found Bullet Club.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

VJeff posted:

Before you go backlog diving, be aware the Best of the Super Juniors tournament starts soon and will give you enough delicious wrestling to put you into a wrestling coma, stat.

Oh I'm well aware. My initial plan was to hop on just in time for this years G1 and go full baptism by fire, but Okada challenging Omega this latest time has pushed things up a bit.

Also goddamn that's a lot of matches people are suggesting. Guess it's a good thing I beat GoW already :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cavauro posted:

I should clarify, i mean their 'real' match, that will come at a later date. meaning they are wrestling to set up wrestling. As a single, as a champion, it doesnt seem roight.
didnt cena and orton once have a match to decide if their match on the ppv would be in a cage

with the ppv being no way out

yeah i wonder if they're gonna have a cage match on the cage show

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What if it isn't in a cage

That's a swerve

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Go ahead and watch all those great matches, but settle into the product on a regular basis and you'll quickly realize that your favorite wrestler is really Toru Yano.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aj vs Nakamura gimmick match really should be a Toru Yano on a pole match

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Benne posted:

Go ahead and watch all those great matches, but settle into the product on a regular basis and you'll quickly realize that your favorite wrestler is really Toru Yano.

yeah before you know it, sure, you're excited for the main event but hell yeah here comes taichi, love me some taichi.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Unlike most other federations WWE likes to set up championship challenges with the champion losing. I guess it raises the question of if the champ will pull it out when it matters, but it also raises the question of why the champ gets to compete and nontitle matches against skilled opponents.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How respected is Meltzer as an MMA journalist?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He’s been happy to squander what he’s got left recently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

How respected is Meltzer as an MMA journalist?

He writes for MMA Fighting which is an extremely visible sight but he's not widely talked about.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Who is the most well-known MMA journalist? Ariel Helwani is literally the only not-Dave one I know

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

Who is the most well-known MMA journalist? Ariel Helwani is literally the only not-Dave one I know

Joe Rogan

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Ben Fowlkes and Chad Dundas of the Co-Main Event podcast are both super cool dudes. I'm not sure if they break news or anything like that, but all the stuff they write is great and the podcast is fun and informative. Also Ben beat out Ariel as president of some new fangled MMA journalist's organization so he has as much credibility as you could ask for in a cage fighting journalist

E. I just realized you said "most well known" and not "best" but I'm gonna pretend you didn't

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there a good place to find full matches from Titanes en el Ring? I've tried on YouTube and its almost all partial fights.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
whats your favorite move, regardless of whos doing it, like a move you just always love to see

i like a good michinoku driver. its a good move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Torture Rack