Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

On the other hand gently caress Nozick

In modern all in on Rawls (though it should be all Mill and Kant).

I appreciate Nozick. His philosophy is abhorrent, but he writes with panache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Except of course Rawls' bullshit about families and patriarchalism. God that stuck out like a sore thumb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Okin's criticisms of Rawls and Nozick are the most valid and boy does her article on multicultutalism cause fist fights to break out because it short circuits contemporary liberal thought and the inherent contradictions of culture and misogyny.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ACU in Melbourne.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Whitlam posted:

ACU in Melbourne.

How Catholic are you? Have you thrown rocks at an abortion clinic?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/ihsas-khan-trial-aborted-after-concerns-over-mental-health/9766526

quote:

The court heard an assessment by a Justice Health doctor found Mr Khan was experiencing a "relapse of [his] schizophrenic condition" and he had stopped taking his medication five to six days earlier.

The psychiatric report said the accused was hearing voices of the devil, which was behind the spitting, and was experiencing "delusions of reference", meaning he thought people were talking about him.

At that point, the psychiatrist's opinion was that Mr Khan was "OK from the point of view of fitness to stand trial" in that he understood the proceedings, expressed a wish to proceed, and could give instructions to his lawyers.

Why the gently caress is this guy on terrorism charges - are we a nation of morons?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Whitlam posted:

ACU in Melbourne.

I'm stretching my brain to think who I know teaches at ACU in Melbourne..?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Lid posted:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/legal-stoush-over-stolen-lamborghini/9759688

Am i being too judmental in thinking Mr Chellah is a scumbag?

Not at all. Nemo dat, motherfucker

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How Catholic are you? Have you thrown rocks at an abortion clinic?

Baptised a Lutheran :getin:

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm stretching my brain to think who I know teaches at ACU in Melbourne..?

Spencer Zifcak

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Starshark posted:

Why the gently caress is this guy on terrorism charges - are we a nation of morons?

It's a mystery, for sure, why Mr Khan is facing terrorism charges.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Spencer Zifcak

Ooooooooooh - I used a bunch of his research during the QLD Human Rights Act campaign. Good poo poo. Glad he's still teaching and he's still rad.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

Ooooooooooh - I used a bunch of his research during the QLD Human Rights Act campaign. Good poo poo. Glad he's still teaching and he's still rad.

Just don't get him to be your Honours supervisor and you'll be fine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/callapilla/status/996505600740610049

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/996353774057766912

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just lol that anyone involved actually cares about animal welfare.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's a bit of a mess

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/996338527309774848

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/996339629627396096

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/996340439371268097

https://twitter.com/G_Parker/status/996340497135255553

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/996341243033468929

https://twitter.com/6PR/status/996559278755401728

Also lol

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/996266104640094209

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 16, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy loving poo poo this government has raised the bar for bungling

Or lowered it, depending on the half empty/half full glass scenario

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0

Labor is accusing Liberal MP Chris Crewther of inviting foreign interference into Australia's electoral system after Fairfax Media reported the Ukrainian ambassador lodged a formal complaint against proposed changes to the boundary of the federal electorate of Dunkley in Victoria.

The Australian Electoral Commission's suggested changes would turn the Liberal-held seat into a notionally Labor one.

The Ukrainian ambassador claims the removal of the seaside town of Mornington from Dunkley would short change a local Ukrainian-born cheesemaker.

Mykola Kulinich wrote to the commission after being encouraged to do so by Mr Crewther, the sitting member.

In his submission, Mr Kulinich argues the Ukrainian owner of Blue Bay Cheese would be disadvantaged if the proposed changes went ahead because he would have to deal with two MPs.

Mr Crewther does not have any Ukrainian heritage but chairs Parliament's Australia-Ukraine friendship group because of what he says is a large Ukrainian community in his electorate.

Analysis of census data compiled by profile.ID.com.au says just 140 people of Ukrainian birth live in Frankston and only 24 live in Mornington.

The owner of Blue Bay Cheese, Andre Kogut, declined to say if he has ever donated money to the Liberal Party but records show he donated cheese vouchers to Mr Crewther's predecessor, former minister MP Bruce Bilson.

Labor's shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has demanded an explanation about the intervention.

"Mr Crewther needs to give the full details on what he did to get a foreign power to try and influence the Australian electoral system," Mr Dreyfus said.

"This is an extraordinary act by an elected representative of the Australian Parliament. [Prime Minister] Malcolm Turnbull should reminds his MPs that they are there to represent voters in Australia not Ukraine."

Mr Turnbull hosted a politics in the pub event with Mr Crewther on Tuesday evening. He has not commented on the matter.

Mr Crewther has denied Ukraine's intervention constitutes foreign interference.

"The Ukrainian ambassador making public representations on various issues of concern to the Ukrainian-Australian community, of his own discretion, is not interference by a foreign power, as it is only expressing a viewpoint. Ambassadors do this all the time," Mr Crewther said.

"Espionage or bribing or blackmailing someone - in particular parliamentarians - to represent a particular view is a different story, and would be foreign interference. But that has clearly not occurred in this case."

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0

Labor is accusing Liberal MP Chris Crewther of inviting foreign interference into Australia's electoral system after Fairfax Media reported the Ukrainian ambassador lodged a formal complaint against proposed changes to the boundary of the federal electorate of Dunkley in Victoria.

The Australian Electoral Commission's suggested changes would turn the Liberal-held seat into a notionally Labor one.

The Ukrainian ambassador claims the removal of the seaside town of Mornington from Dunkley would short change a local Ukrainian-born cheesemaker.

Mykola Kulinich wrote to the commission after being encouraged to do so by Mr Crewther, the sitting member.

In his submission, Mr Kulinich argues the Ukrainian owner of Blue Bay Cheese would be disadvantaged if the proposed changes went ahead because he would have to deal with two MPs.

Mr Crewther does not have any Ukrainian heritage but chairs Parliament's Australia-Ukraine friendship group because of what he says is a large Ukrainian community in his electorate.

Analysis of census data compiled by profile.ID.com.au says just 140 people of Ukrainian birth live in Frankston and only 24 live in Mornington.

The owner of Blue Bay Cheese, Andre Kogut, declined to say if he has ever donated money to the Liberal Party but records show he donated cheese vouchers to Mr Crewther's predecessor, former minister MP Bruce Bilson.

Labor's shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has demanded an explanation about the intervention.

"Mr Crewther needs to give the full details on what he did to get a foreign power to try and influence the Australian electoral system," Mr Dreyfus said.

"This is an extraordinary act by an elected representative of the Australian Parliament. [Prime Minister] Malcolm Turnbull should reminds his MPs that they are there to represent voters in Australia not Ukraine."

Mr Turnbull hosted a politics in the pub event with Mr Crewther on Tuesday evening. He has not commented on the matter.

Mr Crewther has denied Ukraine's intervention constitutes foreign interference.

"The Ukrainian ambassador making public representations on various issues of concern to the Ukrainian-Australian community, of his own discretion, is not interference by a foreign power, as it is only expressing a viewpoint. Ambassadors do this all the time," Mr Crewther said.

"Espionage or bribing or blackmailing someone - in particular parliamentarians - to represent a particular view is a different story, and would be foreign interference. But that has clearly not occurred in this case."

I don't want to rush to judgement on this one - what does Ruslana think?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
WA planning Commission wants a second WA city.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest this is because encouraging the likes of Nedlands to increase their density has been like dragging teeth despite the fact an increase in density would actually prevent a lot of the problems the locals incessantly complain about.

Yeah, yeah I point at Nedlands a lot but it's literally the prime example of NIMBYism in Perth where the rights of wealthy landowners to "preserve their neighbourhood" have consistently superceded those of people who'd like to live there. Which would be fine if it didn't come to the detriment of a significant chunk of the population given how much car and public transport traffic is produced due to a lack of affordable housing near the university.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 16, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Starshark posted:

I don't want to rush to judgement on this one - what does Ruslana think?

That their country robbed Dani Im

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
imagine living in a place called nedlands

land of the neds

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
mental

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Birdstrike posted:

imagine living in a place called nedlands

land of the neds

Tithins kingdom, yes? ;)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

whats the first city?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

whats the first city?

I wouldn't know, it sounds like a silly place.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cfmeujohnsetka/status/996604328147279872?s=21

On the j臠er bombs

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

that guy with the mustache is missing a beard

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It has a second city, it's called Fremantle :v:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

WA planning Commission wants a second WA city.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest this is because encouraging the likes of Nedlands to increase their density has been like dragging teeth despite the fact an increase in density would actually prevent a lot of the problems the locals incessantly complain about.

Yeah, yeah I point at Nedlands a lot but it's literally the prime example of NIMBYism in Perth where the rights of wealthy landowners to "preserve their neighbourhood" have consistently superceded those of people who'd like to live there. Which would be fine if it didn't come to the detriment of a significant chunk of the population given how much car and public transport traffic is produced due to a lack of affordable housing near the university.

That's ok the university's going to poo poo anyway.

Develop East Vic Park and St. James and leave the western suburbs as the lnp voter boomer infested hellscape it's always been.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

It has a second city, it's called Fremantle :v:

WA could do worse than develop freo into something bigger and better than it is already. There's already rail between the two right now, increasing the density and activity in freo would only increase the need for higher capacity and frequency of rail service between the two.

I noticed in that article it fails to mention how far away from Perth metro the second city should be. Putting it too far north would be silly for a part of the planet that is substantially under the thumb of climate change already (it's 26 degrees here, on the 16th of loving may in TYOOL 2018), so putting it south or east of perth makes more sense. Inland is silly unless it's connected to the main rail between Perth and Kalgoorlie, or connected on one of the old defunct WA rail lines in the south west.

Coastal there are more options but I noticed he said Not Bunbury which is funny as hell because i'm sure a whole bunch of people would agree, even the people who live in bunners already.

Long term I can imagine a push for sprawl all the way from Dunsbrah to Gerro along the coast and some nice transit in between. Lovely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

WA could do worse than develop freo into something bigger and better than it is already. There's already rail between the two right now, increasing the density and activity in freo would only increase the need for higher capacity and frequency of rail service between the two.

I noticed in that article it fails to mention how far away from Perth metro the second city should be. Putting it too far north would be silly for a part of the planet that is substantially under the thumb of climate change already (it's 26 degrees here, on the 16th of loving may in TYOOL 2018), so putting it south or east of perth makes more sense. Inland is silly unless it's connected to the main rail between Perth and Kalgoorlie, or connected on one of the old defunct WA rail lines in the south west.

Coastal there are more options but I noticed he said Not Bunbury which is funny as hell because i'm sure a whole bunch of people would agree, even the people who live in bunners already.

Long term I can imagine a push for sprawl all the way from Dunsbrah to Gerro along the coast and some nice transit in between. Lovely.

All of the Perth metro area is pro-density, just not in their specific neighbourhood. I mean, I personally would like to see more apartment buildings and turning some of the paved hellhole that is City of Stirling into parks, but that ain't ever going to happen.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

froglet posted:

All of the Perth metro area is pro-density, just not in their specific neighbourhood. I mean, I personally would like to see more apartment buildings and turning some of the paved hellhole that is City of Stirling into parks, but that ain't ever going to happen.

Yeah but with density there's a big difference between centralisation and decentralisation. If a new regional or satellite urban centre is built up then denser areas around and between that and Perth benefit by sending the population in both directions rather than just one direction in the morning and one direction at night.

There was this article from the State gov this week that addresses their long term plans:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-15/biggest-perth-urban-infill-developments-revealed/9762878

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah but with density there's a big difference between centralisation and decentralisation. If a new regional or satellite urban centre is built up then denser areas around and between that and Perth benefit by sending the population in both directions rather than just one direction in the morning and one direction at night.

There was this article from the State gov this week that addresses their long term plans:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-15/biggest-perth-urban-infill-developments-revealed/9762878

Eh I'm not too keen on creating another urban centre that'll enable even more suburban sprawl.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I知 not sure how we値l fit a second airport in Freo but alrighty.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

bigis posted:

I知 not sure how we値l fit a second airport in Freo but alrighty.

Fremantle Outer Airport

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just overheard that fresh after losing Jane Prentice, they're going to roll Anne Sudmalis at the Gilmore preselection with a white male real estate chode, a day after Bishop and O'Dwyer announced a fighting fund to boost female representation in the Liberals :lol:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

bigis posted:

I知 not sure how we値l fit anything in Freo but alrighty.

Fixed. Theres gently caress all room. Thats part of why Roe8 was a bad idea- sure you get more traffic to Freo, but it still has to be funneled through single lane roads when it gets there

What happened to all those plans to make Karratha a proper city years ago? Or was that scrapped when someone finally realised it was loving stupid?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I just overheard that fresh after losing Jane Prentice, they're going to roll Anne Sudmalis at the Gilmore preselection with a white male real estate chode, a day after Bishop and O'Dwyer announced a fighting fund to boost female representation in the Liberals :lol:

Two-party-preferred result
Liberal Ann Sudmalis 52,336 50.73
Labor Fiona Phillips 50,833 49.27

:getin:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

Fixed. Theres gently caress all room. Thats part of why Roe8 was a bad idea- sure you get more traffic to Freo, but it still has to be funneled through single lane roads when it gets there

What happened to all those plans to make Karratha a proper city years ago? Or was that scrapped when someone finally realised it was loving stupid?

Travelling by car isn't the only option :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Paingod556 posted:

What about the garbage city for reffoes - what happened to that?

• Locked thread