Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This episode was one of the best things I've ever watched and I feel strongly enough about that to kind of dislike people who didn't like it even though I know how irrational it is to get mad over differences of taste

Sorry about that (I hated it)

Proteus Jones posted:

I tried explaining this show to my 76 year old dad, and kept running out of words as my mind ground to a halt trying to describe it. I’m just going to show him the 1st couple episodes of season 1 when I visit and tell him, if you like watch more. It worked for the Expanse (he loves that show).

"It's a mental illness TV show with loads of weirdness. Like Twin Peaks.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me of all the times I'd try to figure out how Hannibal was an NBC show. Because I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Hannibal was an NBC show.

With Parks and Rec as a leadin for the first season! And most episodes were TV-14 unless they showed a butt cheek!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I watch this show delayed a few days usually, but gently caress me did that last part with the 'Superman' song and the visuals get me. This show is so loving good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This episode was one of the best things I've ever watched and I feel strongly enough about that to kind of dislike people who didn't like it even though I know how irrational it is to get mad over differences of taste

I didn't hate it, I just waited a week for David Goes Ham on the Shadow King and got that instead, so I felt cheated. As a standalone episode, it was great.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk how attractive this description is but Season 1 to me is a "psychadelic action therapy series".

Also forgot to note one of my favorite things on the show so far was a recent episode where the intro says "Apparently, on Legion" instead of "previously on Legion" lmaoooooo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also forgot to note one of my favorite things on the show so far was a recent episode where the intro says "Apparently, on Legion" instead of "previously on Legion" lmaoooooo

This is definitely a holdover from Fargo where you'd have different characters saying "Erstwhile, on Fargo" or "Precedently, on Fargo". I appreciate that Hawley sees every part of the TV format as an opportunity to build the mood of the particular story he's telling, even if it's just making a little change from what you're used to.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I think it's also a nod to the notion that this season is all some dumb dream because comics.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

glad she is dead posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about the future Sydney poo poo and the plot of the show in general other than as a vehicle for cool cinematography, music and fun performances, so I thought this was maybe the best episode of Legion yet. The Kubrick references were loving incredible - more like this pls.
It took me way too long to get to this point but I'm here with you now. Legion just plain can't have proper seasonal plot pacing. Period. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy each episode as its own individual amazingness. Considering Noah Hawley has a semi-mastery of seasonal anthology (via fargo... s3 forced me to add the "semi") it would make sense that he's failing a bit on a "proper" fully serialized plotline. That said, I'm now super curious how he'd handle an episodic anthology ala Black Mirror or Tales from the Crypt.

As emotionally engaging, draining, and amazing as this episode was, I'm still holding out hope for a solid 5-minute scene in this season that makes me feel as excited and entertained as S1's Bolero scene. This ep was like an hour long sad version of that.

Edit: I am just now realizing that my favorite Hawley work (s1/2 of Fargo) I binged all at once while my lesser favorite work (Fargo s3 and s1 Legion) was watched weekly. I'm now convinced that Hawley's work all has to be fully binged. Get this man a Netflix deal, please!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 13, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014

Why does Syd look like this from the footage of the pool episode in the last episode? It's the same look from season 1 so they didn't change anything.

night slime fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 13, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's Kerry, isn't it?

Edit: Oh wait, the person in the middle?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Uhh isn’t that just Kerry, psychokinesis guy and Ptonomy? Like the three who rescue him?

Edit: no I just watched the end of the pilot on YouTube, it’s Syd...hmm. But I think it’s just a weird angle and distorted.

Even if it was supposed to mean something they might have ditched it, there were elements of the pilot they seemed to have switched gears on.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 13, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DaveKap posted:

It took me way too long to get to this point but I'm here with you now. Legion just plain can't have proper seasonal plot pacing. Period. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy each episode as its own individual amazingness. Considering Noah Hawley has a semi-mastery of seasonal anthology (via fargo... s3 forced me to add the "semi") it would make sense that he's failing a bit on a "proper" fully serialized plotline. That said, I'm now super curious how he'd handle an episodic anthology ala Black Mirror or Tales from the Crypt.

As emotionally engaging, draining, and amazing as this episode was, I'm still holding out hope for a solid 5-minute scene in this season that makes me feel as excited and entertained as S1's Bolero scene. This ep was like an hour long sad version of that.

Edit: I am just now realizing that my favorite Hawley work (s1/2 of Fargo) I binged all at once while my lesser favorite work (Fargo s3 and s1 Legion) was watched weekly. I'm now convinced that Hawley's work all has to be fully binged. Get this man a Netflix deal, please!

This feeling of Hawley needing to be binged is exactly why I'm waiting to watch this whole season in one sitting, I felt that same sense of impatience and desire to see the next step all the way through each Fargo season and especially in S1 of Legion, so now I'm just giving in and waiting on all things Hawley.

This probably won't hold up for a S4 of Fargo since I love that show too drat much to resist, but I'm holding to it so far on Legion despite really liking S1.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I didn't hate it, I just waited a week for David Goes Ham on the Shadow King

I don't think we'll get that this season. David used all the timelines to find out he get hurt or hurts in every one of them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

incoherent posted:

I don't think we'll get that this season. David used all the timelines to find out he get hurt or hurts in every one of them.

except he’s already in this timeline so gently caress it, hit em with that rock like you’re the First Doctor without human companions :getin:

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

NowonSA posted:

This feeling of Hawley needing to be binged is exactly why I'm waiting to watch this whole season in one sitting, I felt that same sense of impatience and desire to see the next step all the way through each Fargo season and especially in S1 of Legion, so now I'm just giving in and waiting on all things Hawley.

This probably won't hold up for a S4 of Fargo since I love that show too drat much to resist, but I'm holding to it so far on Legion despite really liking S1.

I really enjoy watching Legion with some space between episodes as I find it benefits from reflection on what’s going on more than many shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am still seriously processing the last episode.

I found season 1 to be good binging, but this one has way more of an emotional weight to it that I don't think would make good binge watching. Season one was more about trippy mind stuff so you got to see lots of cool stuff and a bunch of other things that didn't really give you all the feels as they like to say.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't feel like this season NEEDS to be binged so far. That'd be a dumb thing to do for a show that comes out weekly. But I can deffo understand the perspective that having 2 weeks in a row almost entirely inside people's heads or alternate realities is a bummer, pacing-wise, if you're really into the race for Shadow King's body.

Fake edit: Also, not sure on this but: are we all definitely expecting the middle of the season or so to jump back in time to David's missing year and catch up to the start? The episodes labels start at chapter 9 so I'm not even sure if that lines up mathematically but it seems telegraphed sooooooo?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't feel like this season NEEDS to be binged so far. That'd be a dumb thing to do for a show that comes out weekly. But I can deffo understand the perspective that having 2 weeks in a row almost entirely inside people's heads or alternate realities is a bummer, pacing-wise, if you're really into the race for Shadow King's body.

Fake edit: Also, not sure on this but: are we all definitely expecting the middle of the season or so to jump back in time to David's missing year and catch up to the start? The episodes labels start at chapter 9 so I'm not even sure if that lines up mathematically but it seems telegraphed sooooooo?

season 2 started at chapter 9 because the first eight episodes were the first eight chapters

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flatluigi posted:

season 2 started at chapter 9 because the first eight episodes were the first eight chapters

:thunk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol whoops

throw another :thunk: on the pile

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well, :rip: Ptonomy

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Wait, hold on a sec here.

Is the implication that Jon Hamm was canonically a meta-super-villian narrator who sent the delusion monster?

Because that is pretty awesome. I love this show.

Good call with Nicolas Jaar too, his stuff is perfect for this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RieXq8zGIc

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 16, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014
This will make you vomit

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

f#a# posted:

Is the implication that Jon Hamm was canonically a meta-super-villian narrator who sent the delusion monster?

...wait, the shadow king came out of an egg coffin

did... did any of this happen? at all? did I even watch this show? AM I EVEN REAL?! :stonk:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Wait, what?

Also, David at a literal kids table was 10/10 awesome. Sick burn by the Le Roi.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I wonder who the dead French kids were. Also I remember the woman who dropped off Shadow King's body to the monks was an older black woman, like the one at the end of the episode.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
THIS THREAD IS A DELUSION YOU'RE ALL DELUSIONS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I... did not care for that one as much. It's still good and has a few great parts but it's def not my favorite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the reveal of all the shattered eggs, and David's instant (and almost happy) recognition of insanity.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Loved David's little-boy-shorts dinner suit. Also Kerry with an axe and the legless vermillion pulling itself along. Oh and David using huge powers at the end there (with no need for fx when he popped in)

Also the reveal that Admiral Fukyama looked pretty much normal, probably just dealing with his own issues about being seen by people, or choosing to build up his mystique, Young Pope style. It could have been either when it was used against him.

The episode itself kind of reminded me of the last one of Counterpart. All this for that?? I mean, it was very big in-story, but feels like it was being built up to the audience as something more.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 16, 2018

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even though the show is barely about superheroes I do love it when David gets to use his powers in a more dramatic way, it's just cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

f#a# posted:

No? Like that could happen but that wasn’t implied at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

f#a# posted:

Because that is pretty awesome. I love this show.

my takeaway was that the bird delusion was some kind of parasite the shadow king put in ptonomy when they invaded that one time - hence it being the most developed in him - and it spread to the others while convincing them fukuyama was the one causing their symptoms.

whether jon hamm is a real character is a mystery still

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that was pretty neat.... what the gently caress is going on?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

double nine posted:

that was pretty neat.... what the gently caress is going on?

thread title

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Watching this show certainly leaves me feeling like I have a severe mental illness.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think we're done with delusions since we don't know what _caused_ the delusion in the first place, despite the narration saying that they start from nothing. The shushing woman in the rocking chair seems to be involved and might even be the source, somehow

I think we're going to see the aftermath of it all (especially with Ptonomy), and we might even see a delusion coming to David (and him fighting against it)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had major Gaspar Noe vibes all the way through that. Just a phenomenal looking (and sounding) episode of TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

flatluigi posted:

I don't think we're done with delusions since we don't know what _caused_ the delusion in the first place, despite the narration saying that they start from nothing. The shushing woman in the rocking chair seems to be involved and might even be the source, somehow
It's definitely a creation or at least the doing of Farouk; we saw the black ink on the ground after the attack on the facility.

Unanswered questions, ranked:
  • What was David doing for a year in the orb?
  • Why does David destroy the world?
  • What is Future Syd's deal?
  • Where is Farouk's body? Does he even really want it?
  • What is Lenny's mission?
  • How did Amy get visions of the Vermillion?
  • Where's Melanie?
  • Who is David talking to in his head?
  • Where did the cow come from? Why?
  • What exactly are the Admiral's powers?
  • Is David's inability to read the minds of Admiral and Future Syd connected somehow?
  • Who's the woman in the mainframe?
I think a scene that's going to be key is this one from episode 1 of season 2:

VERMILLION: Farouk's mind is strong, but the mutations are genetic, meaning "of the genes. Physical, not mental.
DAVID: What does that?
VERMILLION: On its own, the Shadow King's mind is powerful. But were he to rejoin his body, he would be unstoppable.

and from season 2, episode 2:

DAVID: Am I dead in the future?
SYD: *stares*
DAVID: Wait, am I dead?
SYD: It's complicated.

The merge gun is either going to have been previously used to hide Farouk's body, or more likely, Farouk plans to use it to create a new one. So I think Farouk's plan is to use the merge gun, his body, and David to make a Farouk/David hybrid. "David" doesn't destroy the world, Farouk does so while looking like him.

Hopefully David remembers to remove the delusion from Carrie's head - or perhaps it's necessary for Carrie to create the orb in the future?