Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

8th-snype posted:

Read the date on that article

drat... I was just going through their site the other day and didn't pay any attention. :gonk:

It sounded pretty crazy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Another noob question: how relevant are filters in the age of digital photography? I'm getting a cheap UV filter mostly to protect the lens but I see a lot of others like polarizers, red filters for B&W, etc. How useful are these for digital? It seems like we can tweak the tone after the fact anyway and my camera has a built-in 4 stop ND filter so it's not super important. I do a lot of outdoor daylight, would a polarizer do much for me?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

Another noob question: how relevant are filters in the age of digital photography? I'm getting a cheap UV filter mostly to protect the lens but I see a lot of others like polarizers, red filters for B&W, etc. How useful are these for digital? It seems like we can tweak the tone after the fact anyway and my camera has a built-in 4 stop ND filter so it's not super important. I do a lot of outdoor daylight, would a polarizer do much for me?

If your sensor's latitude is wide enough to cover the whole scene, you don't need to use polarizer. You can just use a RAW converter to get the highlight and shadow detail back in post. However playing with Capture One or Photoshop is not faster than an analog filter.

Dark ND filter is for getting blurry effect in day light, it's very hard to fake in post.

Somebody else can answer the red filter question.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

qirex posted:

Don't get the UV filter, the X100 lens doesn't like it. I had a high quality B&W UV filter and it produced color distortion on the X100T when the sun was in the frame. Just use a lens hood to protect the lens.

I don't know much about polarizers, other than there's been a few times I wished I had one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Polarizers are still relevant and not really something you can replicate in post, along with very dark NDs for long exposure. Almost anything else you can do in post. Seems like some landscape folks still like using grads instead of doing HDR/comping together multiple exposures, and on the cinema side people seem to use mist filters quite a bit but I don't hear of that much with stills.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Color filters for b&w don't really make sense on a bayer sensor. You might as well let's all the pixels record their R, G or B light levels then you can mix'n'match during post processing (or select the red biased B&W creative filter in camera).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I take a lot of pictures by the bay and ocean plus it's pretty much always windy in SF, I'm worried about salt and sand and other stuff that a lens hood doesn't do anything about. I'm looking and there's clear filters if UV ones will cause issues.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

qirex posted:

I've never used UV filters.

The first reason is quality. You're spending lots of money on nice lenses that have been scientifically engineered to deliver superior image quality only to shoot through a cheap piece of thin clear flat glass.

The second reason is "protection". The front element on a camera lens is a round disc of ridiculously hard and thick glass and has been given anti scratch coatings etc. Its not going to break. It will however get scratched so thats where people think they need to protect their lenses. In all honesty, most scratches on the front element (unless they are big, long or deep) don't affect the image all that much. By sticking a fragile piece of glass in front of your super robust piece of glass, if the filter is shattered ... its going to throw its glass shards towards your nice lens and those glass shards are more likely to scratch your lens than what you would encounter during daily use. If you want front lens element protection, use a hood.

Also in the "protection" sense, if you drop your lens face down (without a hood on) and you have a filter installed, the filter is pretty much guaranteed to shatter but a fun bonus is when the actual threaded ring can get bent meaning it will torque itself onto your lens so tight that its nearly impossible to get it off without cutting it off or using excessive force which could damage your lens further.

Just my 2¢ but I would rather have better image quality and no cheap glass shards sitting in front of my expensive lens. The only filters I'll use are for a specific effect (ND, polarizer etc). Everyone should have a circular polarizer filter especially if you shoot outside. It cuts glare and reflection from non metal objects. Water has one of the biggest noticeable effects but it works on the sky, leaves etc.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

qirex posted:

I take a lot of pictures by the bay and ocean plus it's pretty much always windy in SF, I'm worried about salt and sand and other stuff that a lens hood doesn't do anything about. I'm looking and there's clear filters if UV ones will cause issues.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have taken my X100T through some pretty inhospitable environments all around the world. Its been sprayed with sea water, rained on, the lens is still perfect. I think under those conditions the electronics will fail long before the lens itself.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I do use a grad ND filter. Easy to apply in post (or remove) but exposing so the sky doesn't get blown out means pushing the shadows more. Though mostly it just keeps me from making that mistake as easily.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I got a cheap-ish 10 stop ND and don’t like it - I get a noticeable drop in sharpness. I feel like it’s only worth getting decent filters, otherwise as others have said you’re putting cheap glass in front of expensive glass which negates the quality of the lens.

In my opinion though all UV/clear filters are pointless.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I mean, its literally the thread title for the Camera Gear thread.

Camera Gear v8 "Buy A Pentax ME" (Don't buy UV filters, do hail satan)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Animal posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. I have taken my X100T through some pretty inhospitable environments all around the world. Its been sprayed with sea water, rained on, the lens is still perfect. I think under those conditions the electronics will fail long before the lens itself.
I think I haven't mentally accepted that this is a durable thing and not a fragile snap-together piece of plastic. I'll just get a center pinch lens cap to alleviate my symptoms [and maybe a circular polarizer just to play with].

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use clear/UV filters sometimes. They're nice if you're going to be out in weather wiping the lens all the time cause you don't have to worry about grit and whatnot. I'll also put them on gear I'm pretty sure I'll be selling eventually (or am not sure about yet) as it's way easier to move lenses if the front element is pristine. Right now I have one on my 17-35 cause it's my go-to inclement weather lens, my 58mm 1.4 cause I don't know if I want to keep it, and my 80-400 cause the hood is enormous and I'd rather run without it most of the time. The rest of my lenses are all sans UV filter.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

qirex posted:

Given that the x100 series isn't particularly strongly weather sealed, if you get in a situation where salt/sand/spray would gently caress with the lens, its gonna infiltrate all the parts and hatches a UV filter isn't touching.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

qirex posted:

Get the Fuji or JJC hood and a CPL. The hoods have a thread adapter, which you’ll need for any filter to be attached. The hood itself attaches to the outside of this thread adapter using a bayonet mount.

I used a CPL on my X100T, and it was on the camera all the time. It’s great for removing glare in the sky and reflective surfaces such as water, windows or cars. A good CPL will also remove another 1 - 2 stops of light.

The built-in ND is fantastic. Since the X-Trans sensor doesn’t (really) stop down to ISO 100, the ND helps you keep highlights in check when ISO200 is all you have. Along with that, the ND also lets you go f/2 in daylight, or even underexpose. So you can get neato DOF and even underexposure while walking around the city.

I also used it for long exposures and experimental lightpainting. It’s the one thing I miss the most when using the X-H1.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

qirex posted:

Just to reiterate a key point. The glare reduction from a circular polarizer over water for example cannot be replicated in post. Darkening a sky can be.

Also like someone else said, I have clear filters for a situation if I will need to wipe the lens a lot, but otherwise one thing I feel they do when left on all the time is when focusing, now the air from the moving lens has to be displaced from somewhere in the back of the lens and I feel like it just pulls dust in easier. Specifically I feel like this happened to my x100F lens.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 12, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Polarizers are great for reducing window and glasses glare too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

qirex posted:

they arent sealed so dust and dirt is gunna get on your lens and its going to stay there because the uv filter makes you feel safe

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

they arent sealed so dust and dirt is gunna get on your lens and its going to stay there because the uv filter makes you feel safe

it's this, yeah

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I have a friend who wants help buying into the fuji system for his trip to Africa. He's relatively new to photography, but money isn't an object. I'm thinking a two lens setup, maybe a shorter zoom and a long lens. His interest is primarily wild life from a distance, but I want to make sure the every day stuff is covered as well. Which body and lenses would you folks suggest?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 13, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

For wildlife the 100-400 is not really up for debate. Either the 16-55 or 18-55 as an everyday lens plus if money isn't an issue, one nice prime so he can learn the joys of that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

For wildlife the 100-400 is not really up for debate. Either the 16-55 or 18-55 as an everyday lens plus if money isn't an issue, one nice prime so he can learn the joys of that.

Get the 16-55 2.8, the 100-400 and whatever short prime floats his boat as an lighter carry lens.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Perfect, thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Or get the 100-400, 10-24 f/4, and a 35mm f/2 for travelling light.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I just noticed Fuji has a new body, is it a noticeable up upgrade from the xt-2 for this use case?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Google Butt posted:

I just noticed Fuji has a new body, is it a noticeable up upgrade from the xt-2 for this use case?

The x-h1 is more video focused, if you're just doing stills I think the only major upgrade over the x-t2 is the IBIS.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The x-h1 is more video focused, if you're just doing stills I think the only major upgrade over the x-t2 is the IBIS.

Interesting. That may be worth it, especially if he opts for the 100-400 with the 2x tc.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Google Butt posted:

Interesting. That may be worth it, especially if he opts for the 100-400 with the 2x tc.

The IBIS is really, really good. The body is bigger, and balances with the larger lenses better, for me at least. I like it over the XT2 which was too small for my hands, but too big to be really "small".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Get the 16-55 2.8, the 100-400 and whatever short prime floats his boat as an lighter carry lens.
The 18-55 f/2.8-4 is significantly smaller than the 16-55 2.8. For someone new to photography and of unknown long-term enthusiasm, that shouldn't be discounted out of hand; the worst camera is the one you left at home be couldn't be bothered to carry it.

Google Butt posted:

It has IBIS and Fuji's first serious attempt at video, incremental improvements to autofocus, a few other minor features and the same sensor. Some claim the larger size is more comfortable or better counter-balances the bigger lenses, other's are focal in wanting to keep the smaller size of the X-T2.
It's not a clear yay or nay and depends on the value placed on size/wight. Ideally you've visit a bricks and mortar with your friend and see which feels right in his hands.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

The 18-55 f/2.8-4 is significantly smaller than the 16-55 2.8. For someone new to photography and of unknown long-term enthusiasm, that shouldn't be discounted out of hand; the worst camera is the one you left at home be couldn't be bothered to carry it.

It was the use scenario that made me suggest the larger lense, with a suggestion for a prime for the more portability for everyday carry.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

I would recommend the 1.4x TC as well.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Has anyone heard if the wireless tethering situation has improved on the X-T2? I noticed that after I upgraded the firmware to the one before 4.00 that the Camera Remote app on Android was able to pull pics from the camera much faster than before. But I wasn't sure if the same could be said for the wifi tethering. And at the moment I'm not seeing anything out there specifically about this combination.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy crap A7iii is amazing. I am so in love with this thing, especially the eye AF. :allears:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I took my Fuji to Africa last year for a safari. If they’re going to get the 100-400 make sure he also gets bean bags to help stabilize his lens against the side of the trucks (not a tripod).

I personally got away with the 55-200 (The 100-400 was too expensive for me) and cropping like crazy in post but we got very lucky and were very close to animals so ymmv. Things can happen really quickly so changing lenses to the wide I brought basically never happened unless I knew we were going somewhere scenic. We did a bush walk and a horseback ride (DEFINITELY do this) and I was happy to have a 50mm prime then.

My friend, new to photography, brought his 100-400, but he didn’t nail the bokeh so his pics don’t look super far off from mine heh.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I rented the 100-400 recently and it was a really nice lens but far too much for me to shell out for.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you're basically going to want reach on reach on reach if you're on safari.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You should carry a X100F for normal focal range, a XH1+100-400mm for stabalized telephoto, a XT2+10-24mm for superwide scenery. Also a gopro on your shoulder and a Samsung 360 camera on your hat.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

You should carry a X100F for normal focal range, a XH1+100-400mm for stabalized telephoto, a XT2+10-24mm for superwide scenery. Also a gopro on your shoulder and a Samsung 360 camera on your hat.

Honestly the X-T2 is just duplicating things so why not go medium format GFX 50S? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

whatever7 posted:

What about one of those selfie rigs they used to use on those haunted buildings tv shows