Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Thin Privilege posted:

Beyond Two Souls: she goes through this massive (spoiler in case someone just started playing it cause it’s free) CIA————————— training, and you didn’t learn even the basic of riding a drat horse? That’s literally impossible 100% in the real world.

I am also irritated that they use the wrong “controls” for the horse. In the game you just tap the horse once and it gallops. In real life, that’s not how it works. At all.

I dunno why you think horse riding lessons are a mandatory part of CIA training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you think Crash Bandicoot was in arcades?

I know im late on responding, but no, I'm well aware it was a PS1 original. That being said, just because it wasn't an arcade game doesn't mean that arcade game design influences hadn't really died out yet. After all, given that this was still the era of Blockbuster, there was still an incentive to padding out game difficulty as much as possible to get players to re-rent them. And wasting your time reloading the game after an arbitrary number of lost lives is one of those core gameplay-extending arcade mechanics.

I'd argue that it's still a legitimate Thing Dragging This Game Down complaint. That said, I'll acknowledge the mockery for my Dark Souls riff and shut up. This isn't exactly a hill I'd like to die on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Thin Privilege posted:

I am also irritated that they use the wrong “controls” for the horse. In the game you just tap the horse once and it gallops. In real life, that’s not how it works. At all.

Can't tell if this is an honest complain or a joke

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

Guess what, Boss Key just shut down so the game is never going to be any better than it is now. RIP Radical Heights, you looked bad, played bad, and nobody liked you.

It was like looking into a mirror, huh?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is a me problem, 100 percent.

I’ve been playing Dead Rising 2 ever since I got the PS4 remaster, and the radio alert noise sounds like my pager at work. Whenever it goes off I reflexively pause my game because I have a Pavlovian conditioning type thing to drop what I’m doing when I hear that noise.

Same but phone vibrations in games cause it makes me think my phone irl is buzzing and its work.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Beyond Two Souls: she goes through this massive (spoiler in case someone just started playing it cause it’s free) CIA————————— training, and you didn’t learn even the basic of riding a drat horse? That’s literally impossible 100% in the real world.

Thats the "Make it think of Ants button".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno why you think horse riding lessons are a mandatory part of CIA training.

Afghanistan joke? :shrug:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is a me problem, 100 percent.

I’ve been playing Dead Rising 2 ever since I got the PS4 remaster, and the radio alert noise sounds like my pager at work. Whenever it goes off I reflexively pause my game because I have a Pavlovian conditioning type thing to drop what I’m doing when I hear that noise.

I used to have the Metal Gear Solid “!” noise as my text tone but I had to change it back to the default when MGS V came out. Either I’d get a text while playing and think that I’d been spotted or I’d get spotted while playing and think that I’d got a text. It was like I was gaslighting myself

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Playing Ys Chronicles 1, just got to the bottom of the mines after getting all the enemy info in there. I enter the boss room, and just as the boss shows up I remember 'oh wait, I forgot to save'.

And of course it's the shittiest boss ever and it kills me before I get it to half health. Thanks game.

The shittiest boss ever is still waiting for you later in the game I'm afraid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mad Max is astoundingly boring for what should be a surefire hit

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

The shittiest boss ever is still waiting for you later in the game I'm afraid.

I beat the game, and while I died more to a couple later bosses, I'd still say the vampire swarm is worse. That's because even if you do the swarm alright it still takes ages, while if you die to the other badly-difficult bosses it's still fast enough that dying to the final boss 5 times and beating him after that still took less time than dying once to vampire and then beating it.

But generally, the boss design in the game is sooo bad. There's only one boss that I'd say at least had an interesting gimmick (the two heads), the rest were just bad whether easy or hard.

It's amazing how far Falcom have come since then.

Note that I played on Normal and don't tend to play any Ys games on anything higher.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

Mad Max is astoundingly boring for what should be a surefire hit

Rage 2 is by the same studio and it looks like Mad Max only actually fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQMytyBFeA

e. One thing that really annoyed me about Mad Max was that they obviously invested so much in the game being a po-faced grim setting about humanity barely eking by but despite going to the trouble of having things like a fuel system for vehicles and the control system being built around your shotgun being a super weapon in melee combat rather than the game being a shooter there's no real actual scarcity or sense of survival. Like there's plenty of visual flavor with you eating dog food and maggots off of corpses to recover your health and helping the different settlements cobble together basic survival tools out of scrap but in the actual gameplay you basically have infinite resources that you can top off at any stronghold whenever you want. They should have either made it a full blown survival/resource management game or gone in the other direction and made the melee combat be actually fluid and responsive and fun to match the car combat instead of being an awkward hybrid that doesn't really please anyone and doesn't have enough depth to sustain the game.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 03:08 on May 16, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Should've built an entire game out of those Convoys assaults

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

e. One thing that really annoyed me about Mad Max was that they obviously invested so much in the game being a po-faced grim setting about humanity barely eking by but despite going to the trouble of having things like a fuel system for vehicles and the control system being built around your shotgun being a super weapon in melee combat rather than the game being a shooter there's no real actual scarcity or sense of survival. Like there's plenty of visual flavor with you eating dog food and maggots off of corpses to recover your health and helping the different settlements cobble together basic survival tools out of scrap but in the actual gameplay you basically have infinite resources that you can top off at any stronghold whenever you want. They should have either made it a full blown survival/resource management game or gone in the other direction and made the melee combat be actually fluid and responsive and fun to match the car combat instead of being an awkward hybrid that doesn't really please anyone and doesn't have enough depth to sustain the game.

“Man, you know what would make this open world action game better? Constant resource management.” said no one, ever

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

“Man, you know what would make this open world action game better? Constant resource management.” said no one, ever

Open world survival games have been one of the most popular PC gaming genres for years and are only just now being dethroned by battle royale games.

Also Mad Max is a game where people unironically defend the lovely clunky knockoff Arkham combat on the grounds that when Max takes damage despite the fact that you hit the dodge button it's actually very cool because it shows that Max is a brawler struggling to survive and not a highly trained fighter. May as well make the actual game support that narrative.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

Open world survival games have been one of the most popular PC gaming genres for years and are only just now being dethroned by battle royale games.

Also Mad Max is a game where people unironically defend the lovely clunky knockoff Arkham combat on the grounds that when Max takes damage despite the fact that you hit the dodge button it's actually very cool because it shows that Max is a brawler struggling to survive and not a highly trained fighter. May as well make the actual game support that narrative.

:ok:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair, Max only takes damage if you hit the dodge button without the EBA-like rhythm. Not saying it's better than the actual Arkham where you can just press it and Batman will magic his way into a counter, but it's an actual mechanic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Until people brought it up here again, the only thing I knew about the Mad Max game was people thought it was neat that Max wasn't flipping over people's heads like Captain America or Batman or Rafiki.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah I actually really like Max's fighting style being mostly big clumsy smashes to the head.

Downside: The thunderpoon is basically the only weapon you use in your car once you get it and the longshot is loving useless

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

IShallRiseAgain posted:

MiddleOne posted:

Afghanistan joke? :shrug:

Not so much a joke as truth. I imagine such people would learn to ride all sorts of vehicles, horses included.

Samuringa posted:

Can't tell if this is an honest complain or a joke

Honest complaint. I rode horses for many years and tapping the horse once will NOT get it to gallop. It’ll get the horse to walk slowly, if you tap it again it’s gonna trot and you wanna get out of that to a canter, and two slows and then a quick/hard tap gets horse to gallop. There’s also a very specific timing that you have to do your tapping. Yes I spent way too much time with horses as a kid.

Anyways, just like the title “even food and water bother us”, I am being nit picky about how they incorrectly show how riding horses work.

This is such a stupid nit picky thing omg.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
willingly interacting with horses probably means you're a little nuts..

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Slime posted:

willingly interacting with horses probably means you're a little nuts..

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

🐴

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Yeah I actually really like Max's fighting style being mostly big clumsy smashes to the head.

Downside: The thunderpoon is basically the only weapon you use in your car once you get it and the longshot is loving useless

I love that when Max enters his Limit Break he begins using loving wrestling moves

I don't know if it makes any sense but it's goddamn amazing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Honest complaint. I rode horses for many years and tapping the horse once will NOT get it to gallop. It’ll get the horse to walk slowly, if you tap it again it’s gonna trot and you wanna get out of that to a canter, and two slows and then a quick/hard tap gets horse to gallop. There’s also a very specific timing that you have to do your tapping. Yes I spent way too much time with horses as a kid.

Surely it depends on what commands this specific horse has been trained to. With what you describe being the standard control scheme that trainers in your part of the world train horses in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You gotta mod your horse if you want it to gallop immediately. You can also add in some sweet skins too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hear you can buy armor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Shadow of the Colossus your horse Agro responds a bit more like an actual animal would. He takes a while to spring into a full gallop, gets spooked or slows down near obstructions, and has his own pathfinding so that you don't need to constantly guide him with the left stick or mash triangle. Many people find it frustrating that the horse in SotC does not control like a ferrari.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

those people can s my d, agro is the least frustrating horse in bideogame history

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2: Whoever thought up Ursala's quest is a horrible terrible person.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Playing Witcher 3 for the first time, and holy loving poo poo could I please at least jump from a second-story balcony at full health without dying from fall damage?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I know im late on responding, but no, I'm well aware it was a PS1 original. That being said, just because it wasn't an arcade game doesn't mean that arcade game design influences hadn't really died out yet. After all, given that this was still the era of Blockbuster, there was still an incentive to padding out game difficulty as much as possible to get players to re-rent them. And wasting your time reloading the game after an arbitrary number of lost lives is one of those core gameplay-extending arcade mechanics.

I'd argue that it's still a legitimate Thing Dragging This Game Down complaint. That said, I'll acknowledge the mockery for my Dark Souls riff and shut up. This isn't exactly a hill I'd like to die on.
I agree, I just wanted to make fun of you. The series you're looking for, btw, is the Jak series. Naughty Dog's last big hurrah before they decided they were allergic to classic-style platformers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Witcher 3's combat suffers from being too dull on easy and normal, too hard at the beginning of Death March, and too lacking in diversity to sustain its 130-hour playtime. Dodging doesn't have any i-frames and unlike Souls Geralt's moves can't be predicted in combat because he automatically faces the closest enemy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like it when dodges don't have i-frames. It means that encounters aren't based around being forced to dodge through enemy attacks, which is counterintuitive at best, nor does it mean being forced to learn where the i-frames are. Instead you learn the enemy's attacks and stay outside of them, keeping your distance while striking when you can. Playing on Death March starts out really frustrating, but as you get some armor and moves, becomes much better since you don't have to spawn quen just to survive a hit.

The auto-facing enemies can be a pain though.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Playing Witcher 3 for the first time, and holy loving poo poo could I please at least jump from a second-story balcony at full health without dying from fall damage?

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1509

start with removing fall damage, enable other options as you see fit. witcher as a series has millions of things dragging it down, but its beautiful and ambitious and we can mod it to not be a frustrating pile of polished poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You can if you do the landing roll

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Not so much a joke as truth. I imagine such people would learn to ride all sorts of vehicles, horses included.

Only in Hollywood.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

im pooping! posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1509

start with removing fall damage, enable other options as you see fit. witcher as a series has millions of things dragging it down, but its beautiful and ambitious and we can mod it to not be a frustrating pile of polished poo poo

Holy smokes just removing the fall damage and teh moronic level limit on items might make me actually finish the game

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree, I just wanted to make fun of you. The series you're looking for, btw, is the Jak series. Naughty Dog's last big hurrah before they decided they were allergic to classic-style platformers.

Don't mind me, then, I've just seen people explode in this thread for less. :v:

One of these days I'll finally get around to playing those games proper. I gotta see those ludicrous tonal changes in Jak 2 I've always heard about, after all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Guy Mann posted:

Were there actually people demanding a sequel to Rage? That game was super bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been another AAA game that garnered as much apathy as RAGE? Something that was supposed to be a big deal, but ultimately no one really loved it or spent energy hating it?