Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
They are disturbingly good for the price. Got them for like $5 from Alibaba or something last time they came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I have an oddball question that covers many topics, so I wasn't sure what to chose. It's ultimately about headphones so I figured here was the best choice.

Simple question really, I have a pair of beyerdynamics DT990 pro's (250 ohm) hooked up to my computer sound card, a Soundblaster Z's headphone amp. I've done my research and the sbz amp can handle up to 600 ohms.

I'm quite happy with the sound quality of the setup however I find the clarity lacking once the output rises. I know this is basically speakers 101 but it's kind of annoying to have 98% of the volume controlled by the first 10% of the volume sliders, with the last 90% of the slider sounding just like gain and distortion while the overall volume remains.

I'm no audiophile (lol) so I was wondering if this is simply the case with most situations, or if there's something I could do to improve the situation. One thing I've read into was using an external headphone amp such as the Magni 3. As far as I am to understand this lacks a DAC, but I could be bypass that by plugging it into the speaker output of the SBZ which would then use it's own DAC.

This is all moon language to me really and I have no idea how to communicate what the gently caress I want...just a lot louder while not sacrificing too much clarity I guess! Would the Magni 3 be a good option for my setup or is there a other/better/cheaper equivalent? Thanks!

I should also add, I have been in and listened to death metal bands for 18 years. I have tinnitus and my ears are hosed. I have no qualms destroying them further.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 15, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sirbeefalot posted:

They are disturbingly good for the price. Got them for like $5 from Alibaba or something last time they came up.

Imagine if Japan's economy hadn't melted down in the early 90s, there'd be so many more good earbud choices on the market

(Yes, that is really one of the main reasons earbuds aren't more common)

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AUKEY support update - just like Anker they're mailing me a new pair after my first pair dudded out after answering a few questions via email about what I used to charge the earbuds. Good customer support, just not quite as speedy to reply as Anker was.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've actually got an Anker mechanical keyboard with Cherry Reds. Bought it like 4 years ago and then discontinued it a month later. Still works perfect though! I also have an Anker battery fast charge pack with Samsung LiON cells. All their stuff has been really solid for me for years.. except one of their 10ft USB micro cables that poo poo the bed and was made like poopy.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Are Koss Porta Pros actually decent headphones for the price range? I've been looking for something more portable than audio technica ath a-700's and the reviews I've managed to dig up are generally pretty good.

I mean something relatively unchanged since the 80s can't be all that bad, right?

Edit: I feel I must mention that earbuds are right the heck out. Can't stand 'em.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 17, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Are Koss Porta Pros actually decent headphones for the price range? I've been looking for something more portable than audio technica ath a-700's and the reviews I've managed to dig up are generally pretty good.

I mean something relatively unchanged since the 80s can't be all that bad, right?

Edit: I feel I must mention that earbuds are right the heck out. Can't stand 'em.

at their price point, absolutely. if you don't like earbuds or iem's, they're your next best bet.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MC Hawking posted:

They're weirdly, absurdly good for the price range. Also consider the KSC-75, which is the same thing without the headband and costs a whole 15 bux.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Porta-Pros and KSC-75s have different drivers. The Porta-Pros share a driver with the KSC-25, and the KSC-75s share a driver with the KTXPro1.

They're all pretty good headphones, though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Hawking posted:

I got spoiled by good headphones, over the years I've owned/traded the Hifiman HE-400, Denon AD5000, Sennheiser HD 280, Sennheiser HD 650, ATH AD900 and AD900X, and my SO got me hooked to more in-ear plugs than I can count.

I can never really get tired of the Porta Pros. They sound so good. Whenever I sell my pair of cans and am in-between headphones I unpack my Porta Pros and it's never too jarring. I've listened to other budget headphones but none really scratch the way the Porta Pro does for me.

Elentor posted:

Man I'm almost always exchanging my cans with my friends, trying new things, and no matter how much time goes by and how many sets I test the Koss PortaPro never stops being just downright enjoyable to listen. A bit of a random praise but it never ceases to amaze me just how much I enjoy it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 18, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Cool well Amazon warehouse has a set for ten bucks cheaper than they usually are so I guess I'll give them a shot. Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I used the Porta Pros for 8 years as my everything headphones and lived in blissful ignorance.

I don't think they're the great deal they used to be though. They seem to have crept up in price a bit. I see them going for $40 now instead of the $30 they used to be. That's getting into hotly contested territory, and there are new options that exist now that didn't used to exist. Status Audio CB-1s can be found for $45 sometimes. I've seen Creative Aurvana Lives for $55 occasionally. I got my SHP9500s for $55 as well on Newegg. While those are each an apples to oranges comparison, you're getting a lot more headphone for the money in those cases.

If you just want one everything headphone and don't want to deal with sources or EQ or anything, I think the Porta Pros are still on par for the price. They're just not a cheat code to headphones like they once were.

KSC75s for $14 are a no brainer though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My only problem with porta pros is they pinch my hair. It's the worst! Otherwise I love em

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bodyholes posted:

KSC75s for $14 are a no brainer though.

Yeah, portapros are great but maybe not for $40, and they can have comfort issues. I think the KSC75 sounds just as good if not better.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I ended up ordering HE-400i's. Do I need an amp for them? I'm contemplating the JDS Labs Objective2

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I really need a wireless computer headset that's extremely light and ergonomically (?) well designed - something I can wear for most of the day without getting a headache. My budget is up to 150$, provided I can be certain they will last a few years.

Sound quality is literally the last thing I care about - I'm partially deaf to begin with, and can't really tell.

I don't actually know what a bluetooth is, how to operate one, and whether my computer has it, so probably not that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sounds like you are an audeze lcd4 man

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got 5 pairs of Velodyne Vpulse IEMs now. My first 2 pairs almost 5 years ago broke, but I recent fixed the cable. Then when the pink ones were on closeout for 15 bux a pair I bought 3. Win.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VostokProgram posted:

I ended up ordering HE-400i's. Do I need an amp for them? I'm contemplating the JDS Labs Objective2

No, they'll work just fine without one, though I haven't tried them with an amp. It definitely feels like my computer has an easier time with them than my phone, otoh you can drive them with a phone.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A store near me has their demo HD800S for sale for $1100, down from $1500 (not actual US dollars). I just bought two pairs of Fidelios and a Grado, I had a ridiculously expensive repair on my lovely cheap car, I'm having a stressful move to a new apartment and my HD6XX will arrive in August. I still want them.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Regardless of power requirements, all full size headphones benefit from a dac+amp, unless your computer has a great soundcard.

The O2 is awful though, even for the price. Probably the biggest mistake out of the audio purchases I have made.

I do have an XDuoo XD-05 to compare with, with a similar price tag. In terms of detail and power it has performed vastly better for me as a desktop amp, and it works as a portable too--although it's a bit on the large-ish side for that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I miss the pre-HD800 days of headfi ~2008 when people grailed after $5-600 headphones.

When it seemed like everyone was either scraping their pennies for an RS1 or an HD650 depending on which side of the grado vs sennheiser debate you chose.

The HD800 came out and everyone’s jaw dropped at the price. Somehow $1000+ has gotten so normalized.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I still haven't met a pair of headphones over $500 that I would give up my HD580s for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Me neither. I’ve tried a few of super expensive flavors of the month, but always concluded “different” but not necessarily “better” than what people are calling “mid-fi” these days.

Seems like there’s a lot of people just spending used car money on headphones to keep up with the Jones on reddit.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I miss the pre-HD800 days of headfi ~2008 when people grailed after $5-600 headphones.

When it seemed like everyone was either scraping their pennies for an RS1 or an HD650 depending on which side of the grado vs sennheiser debate you chose.

The HD800 came out and everyone’s jaw dropped at the price. Somehow $1000+ has gotten so normalized.

And they're trying to normalize >$3000 now and make $1000 the new 'mid-fi'. At the top end audio equipment tends to function like veblen goods.

I refuse to spend more than $1000 on any single component of my system. I haven't heard anything that sounded like it was worth that much, but I guess I'm not the target audience.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
OMG thank you for calling that out. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! These guys all talking about their Audeze and Campfire IEMs like its just another notch in the belt. Like you may as well be using apple ear buds if you don't have a nighthawk, HD800, Andromedas, and LCD4s all through a Mojo or high end Schiit.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bodyholes posted:

And they're trying to normalize >$3000 now and make $1000 the new 'mid-fi'. At the top end audio equipment tends to function like veblen goods.

I refuse to spend more than $1000 on any single component of my system. I haven't heard anything that sounded like it was worth that much, but I guess I'm not the target audience.

$1500 is about my limit for a headphone. Anything over that isn't worth any minor improvements in sound. You can still tell the difference between $500 and $1000 dollars, at least to my ears.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Most things in the $1000-1500 range can be found used for just under 1000, and that's the way I roll.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I paid $100 for a set of XBA-4s and I'm pretty happy with that

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
just remember, $1000 at 7% interest for 30 years turns into $34,000

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lube banjo posted:

just remember, $1000 at 7% interest for 30 years turns into $34,000

$7600

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Wise ones,

I come in search of guidance from afar from beyond the hallowed halls of LTHP, out where Apple iPhone knockoffs and $5 CVS-store earbuds wander the earth blasting lovely music through what sounds like a tin-can telephone.

I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use as an upgrade (both in comfort and sound) to the Sony MDR-ZX110NC that I'm using as my traveling-headphones. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's at home that I use as my main listening headphones, but I don't really want to schlep those around -- mostly because they're bulky as hell, even though their repro is pretty decent.

Budget - sub-$300 US
Source - iPhones, Laptops, and generally non-amplified sources
Isolation Requirements - Yesssss, isolation is probably the #1 most important thing here. Lots of airplanes, airports, trains, subways, etc.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I tend to prefer over-ear, but I can happily be talked into IEMs here. Portability is a real concern, so something that folds up or otherwise can be made "smol".
Preferred Tonal Balance - I tend to prefer cans that are closer to reference than anything else -- an old habit from working a theatre sound board. Again, I can easily be swayed here.
Past Headphones - I like the MDR-ZX110NC in general, but the active sound canceling only helps so much for an over-the-ear set. The HD280s are nice, and I've used a handful of other sets over the years (including the venerable HD650s), but I'm not necessarily stuck with Sennheiser at all.
Preferred Music - In general? Indie sad-boy music (:emo:) or lightish electronica (see: Daft Punk)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy some Bose qc35

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You'll be hard pressed to beat foam tipped iems for portability and isolation.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

You'll be hard pressed to beat foam tipped iems for portability and isolation.

Not true, those Bose do active cancellation and the effect is crazy good. Its like the air was sucked out of your ears suddenly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

redeyes posted:

Not true, those Bose do active cancellation and the effect is crazy good. Its like the air was sucked out of your ears suddenly.

I still think in-ears are better at blocking transient sounds where ANC tends to be weak.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ANC mics your surroundings and adds noise with an inverted phase, essentially cancelling out the atmospheric noise. This makes it great for environments with relatively stable noise, like the rumble of an engine, and bad for most anything else, though I have to imagine most ANC headphones also focus on soundproofing as well.

Foam IEMs (Shure Olives at least, Comply has isolation-focused tips) are just physical soundproofing, preventing outside sounds from reaching your ear canal, and drat good at what they do.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Koss Porta Pros came in today. Listened to a few of my favorite albums, albeit off my phone coded in 320kbps mp3 files. Best way I can describe them is "warm and open" which I really like. Punchy enough bass to matter with some EQ tweaking, and middle treble tone is accurate. I'm far from an audiophile so trying to describe them in accurate terminology is futile, so all I'll say is I'm pretty pleased with the sound. Putting them up against my only real current reference of Technica ATK-A700's is fairly favorable. The ATH's have a very similar overall sound, but they're deeper and richer (especially in the middle range) whereas the Porta Pros are more open and airy. This is excellent for acid jazz fusion, classic rock, and acapella groups like Manhattan Transfer. However heavy metal suffered a bit in terms of the high end of the treble register. Things got mushy in the hyper technical stuff that Devin Townsend tends to do. That being said, I am eager to run through some classical symphonic and quartet pieces. I suspect the open sound stage will lend itself favorably to the strengths of the headphones.

From an engineering standpoint I found it really interesting how the firm to soft toggles reset when you fold the unit up for storage. I'd love to see a diagram of how all that works internally. The head band already ripped out some hair, so that's a bit of a bummer but not that big a deal. I really like how light weight they are and I also really like the above-the-ear pads. I'm kinda shocked how much of a different feel you get by adjusting the tension setting. All in all though, I am very impressed and quite pleased with the purchase. I should have snagged these months ago.

As a small digression, I am curious if there are any good, inexpensive sound cards for desktop PC's. I've only ever really used onboard. Are they really worth it? Are there USB based ones which are worth it? I'm kinda at a loss and have no idea what the baseline cost of these components would be.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ossic 3D has disintegrated https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/after-tens-of-thousands-of-pre-orders-high-end-3d-headphones-startup-ossic-disappears/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

MC Hawking posted:

As a small digression, I am curious if there are any good, inexpensive sound cards for desktop PC's. I've only ever really used onboard. Are they really worth it? Are there USB based ones which are worth it? I'm kinda at a loss and have no idea what the baseline cost of these components would be.

I went with an external audioengine D1, it’s usb based, doesn’t require an external power source and does 24bit/96khz, I’m very happy with it and it was not expensive.