Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The actual damage seems minimal, but the amount of silt that landed in there makes getting completely silted out extremely easy (easier than it used to), even in the shallower depths. One of the staff told me that they’re vacuuming out some of the silt next Wednesday, so hopefully that helps clear things up a bit. Off to Devil’s Den this morning! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So far, DD is my fave Florida spring.

Haven't dove them all, yet. Been to DD 4 times, though. :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GORDON posted:

Same :) Grotto is cool for deep dives, but Devil's Den has the funny quality of being a ton of overhead environment...and then you look off to the side and see that you never really lost sight of the central platform to begin with. I ended up having ear trouble on our second dive, so we ended up having to cut short and get back on the road to NC :smith:

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

GORDON posted:

go get cave diving training, and then you'll be like "DD hahaha what?"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The water is warm enough (~62F) to try and venture out to the Condor, one of our Civil War era wrecks! Wilmington served as the only port for the Confederacy for several years during its short existence, with 2 inlets feeding into the Cape Fear River (where Wilmington actually sits). Blockade runners could sit in the channel and wait for a combo of high-enough water and dim moonlight to make their journey through the US Navy blockade around Fort Fisher, with plenty of ships (the Condor included) laying on the bottom here that were chased ashore and burned to the waterline by USN or confederate sailors.

https://archaeology.ncdcr.gov/underwater-archaeology-branch/heritage-dive-site

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I got PADI open water certified about 5 years ago, and shamefully haven't been since. I'm thinking of heading to Costa Rica/Panama this year with a buddy. He doesn't dive, can you generally join an outing if you aren't with a "dive buddy?" I'm sure I'll be doing a refresher dive/course on arrival and hope to get at least a couple days in. Any recommendations in the Puerto Viejo/Bocas Del Toro area?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SuicidalSmurf posted:

I got PADI open water certified about 5 years ago, and shamefully haven't been since. I'm thinking of heading to Costa Rica/Panama this year with a buddy. He doesn't dive, can you generally join an outing if you aren't with a "dive buddy?" I'm sure I'll be doing a refresher dive/course on arrival and hope to get at least a couple days in. Any recommendations in the Puerto Viejo/Bocas Del Toro area?

Some places will allow a ride-along, it’s something that a local shop here does. Ask about being a bubble-watcher, that’s the most common term I’ve seen in the US (NC and FL).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SuicidalSmurf posted:

It's not clear to me if you're asking if your buddy can ride along or if you can go by yourself. Icon of Sin answered the former, as for the latter every dive operation I've been on will just pair you with another solo or with the divemaster if you don't have a buddy.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

asur posted:

It's not clear to me if you're asking if your buddy can ride along or if you can go by yourself. Icon of Sin answered the former, as for the latter every dive operation I've been on will just pair you with another solo or with the divemaster if you don't have a buddy.

Asking on the latter, good to know on the former. Thanks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Does anyone have any info on diving Catalina Island, CA? I’m going to be doing a ton of dives out there this summer, looking for info on normal temp, vis, current, wildlife, and anything else that’d be relevant to being a dive pro there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Heading out to this site tomorrow, the Elusive and Infamous NC shore dive :stare:

https://archaeology.ncdcr.gov/underwater-archaeology-branch/heritage-dive-site

She's a former Civil War blockade runner, forced ashore by the US Navy as part of the blockade. The Confederate spy Rose Green-O'Howe decided to abandon ship (fearing being caught), and drowned in the surf due to the ~$2,000 (in 1865) of gold around her neck.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Hey all I I was certified SSI a couple years ago and it looks like I will be going to Curacao this summer. I'm interested in doing a few day dives as I don't have my advanced open water. My question is does anyone have any recommendations for dive shops or if the advanced open water is worth it to get there.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tiger Crazy posted:

Hey all I I was certified SSI a couple years ago and it looks like I will be going to Curacao this summer. I'm interested in doing a few day dives as I don't have my advanced open water. My question is does anyone have any recommendations for dive shops or if the advanced open water is worth it to get there.

We got OW at go west diving in westpunt and they were really good, also westpunt was awesome but that’s like 8 years ago now so I doubt the same people are there. AOW, I can’t speak to since it was mostly shore dives to Alice in wonderland, which was a good off shore reef.

We loved westpunt, and even if you don’t go AOW there, you’ll get good diving. We’ve been talking about going back now that we’re both AOW and I’m rescue to see it again

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 11, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I went out to a pair of tugs yesterday. These are all pulled from the wrecks of the R. R. Stone and the Pocahontas, sister tugs that worked in the port of Wilmington, NC before being reefed 12 miles offshore.

Info for the R. R. Stone: http://www.wilmingtondiving.com/stone.shtml

Info for the Pocahontas: http://www.wilmingtondiving.com/pocahontas.shtml

I found a decorator urchin wandering around near the wreck of the Pocahontas, otherwise there were tons of black seabass, purple urchins, blue fans, spottail pinfish, various corals, and a couple of christmas tree worms on the wreck of the R. R. Stone. I've got a video coming up for the R. R. Stone, I'll post the link later on :)

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Went cave diving last weekend. Had some awesome dives in Ginnie.

I've drawn a map of where I went in the cave, by far my favorite was the Double Lines jump.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Last night at my dive club meeting, a guy presented a ton of pics from the Philippines... Holy poo poo, nudibranch, nudibranch, nudibranch!!! Such unbelievable colors. Also, on my bucket list is to watch a Flamboyant Cuttlefish do it's thing (with my own eyes, one of you has previously posted some awesome video footage).

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I got lucky, and did most of my early diving with a LGBT+allies dive club that was pretty well balanced and a really good group.

Holy crap, I would love a group like that!

My dive club is two parts: the old farts are sexist, racist, homophobic white men; and the younger folks are much more diverse. I'm not looking to get laid at my club, but I'm much more comfortable hanging out with a good mix of people.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

let it mellow posted:

We got OW at go west diving in westpunt and they were really good, also westpunt was awesome but that’s like 8 years ago now so I doubt the same people are there. AOW, I can’t speak to since it was mostly shore dives to Alice in wonderland, which was a good off shore reef.

We loved westpunt, and even if you don’t go AOW there, you’ll get good diving. We’ve been talking about going back now that we’re both AOW and I’m rescue to see it again

Agreed, Westpunt 100%. It's even more unspoiled then the rest of the island; very similar to the whole of Bonaire. Go West Diving is your only option in Westpunt, but they work with the local hotel and divers condo to deliver tanks and such.

https://www.gowestdiving.com/

Do all the special dives they offer. I also really like the shore dive at Playa Grandi, even though the reef is a ways out (relatively speaking, as most of the shore dives on Curacao are a short swim), it has the biggest, fattest, chillest sea turtles I've ever dove with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mtrMVjJwE

Last time I was there I was spending the rest of my Hilton points, so I used the Dive shop attached to the Hilton. I really loved the dive master, great guy, but with that shop you will have to deal with some lovely cruise ship tourists who don't know how to dive. None of that up in Westpunt.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Last night at my dive club meeting, a guy presented a ton of pics from the Philippines... Holy poo poo, nudibranch, nudibranch, nudibranch!!! Such unbelievable colors. Also, on my bucket list is to watch a Flamboyant Cuttlefish do it's thing (with my own eyes, one of you has previously posted some awesome video footage).

Holy crap, I would love a group like that!

My dive club is two parts: the old farts are sexist, racist, homophobic white men; and the younger folks are much more diverse. I'm not looking to get laid at my club, but I'm much more comfortable hanging out with a good mix of people.

The LGBT club is awesome, but it's aging and it's getting harder and harder for me to get groups together for cold water diving. I need to find a way to revitalize it since I'm one of the few people under 40.

Speaking of cold water diving: vis was crappy this weekend so I brought out the macro lens for the first time in a while. I forgot how much I love macro diving, it's absolutely incredible how much life can exist on a single rock, or under an overhang.

Flabellina trilineata

Blue ring-top snail. This guy looks like he's off to the races.

Spanish shawl (Flabellina iodinea)

California's 2nd prettiest nudibranch

Shrimp test

Hermissenda opalescens. The best nudibranch.

Pandalus danae

Chocolate drizzle worm (Eurylepta californica)

Hopkin's rose

A painted greenling that wants none of my poo poo.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 21, 2018

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I normally wouldn't respond to myself, but I am so excited about these pictures that I have to share them everywhere :-)

Hermissenda opalescens laying eggs.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Whoa, great shot!

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Looking for any recommandations for diving spots easy enough to get to from the east coast for a couple of days in mid-july. We are california locals but looking to meet up with a friend from DC who just got their open water, somewhere closer to the east coast. Tried to dive NC last summer and got scrubbed due to small craft advisory, and I've done a few spots in the keys before. She mentioned Bahamas for some reason. Where might be most worth it for just a couple of days of diving?

Edit:

Did some internet searching, looks like Grand Cayman might be fun. Any must-see sites or recommended operators?

The Vikings fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 7, 2018

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Hi dive thread, is this ok to post here?

I have a bungalow in Indonesia at a dive shop (and yoga studio) that I’m happy to give Friend rates to any SA goons. It’s on Pulau Weh, Aceh, fairly remote so it’s still sleepy. Great biodiversity with a wide range of dive sites, some are very challenging while others are super easy so it’s a good location for learning skills. I really love it here. http://bubble-addict.com
If anyone is going in diving in Indonesia and want to come here (it’s the northernmost tip in the west), drop me a line: meteorlologist@gmail.com

I’m based in Singapore so happy to find dive buddies to go other places too. I have my open water and am gradually working on my advanced. I like diving because it forces you to focus on your breath, it’s instant meditation without having to work for it. I find peace underwater even I can’t find it anywhere else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Vikings posted:

Looking for any recommandations for diving spots easy enough to get to from the east coast for a couple of days in mid-july. We are california locals but looking to meet up with a friend from DC who just got their open water, somewhere closer to the east coast. Tried to dive NC last summer and got scrubbed due to small craft advisory, and I've done a few spots in the keys before. She mentioned Bahamas for some reason. Where might be most worth it for just a couple of days of diving?

Florida’s east coast from Jupiter south to Key West has solid spots the whole way down.

I can be more specific if you’re interested.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey guys, I almost drowned last week.

OK, OK, that's an exaggeration, but something happened that I'm still processing, and I want some feedback from you guys. Someone ITT who does a lot of teaching made a comment once ITT that seems relevant: that people who struggle with basic skills are generally safer divers then someone like myself, for whom everything came naturally, and had zero problems during my Open Water. Over confidence kills.

Anyway, my dive club had a scallop charter that I went on. This was my first cold water boat dive, as most of what we do in New England is accessible by shore, with scallops and wrecks being the notable exception. The current was strong, so it was a drift dive where every person had their own flag, and was dropped off individually over the scallop beds.

I jumped in, caught the flag reel that was tossed to me, and prepared to descend. Something felt a little off, but I descended anyway. 10 feet down I was hyperventilating and overbreathing my regulator. I'd never had anything happen like this before, so it felt weird and scary. I figured maybe my valve wasn't open all the way, or something else was wrong with my gear. I returned to the surface, and switched over to the snorkel, but found myself "overbreathing" that, too... which shouldn't really be possible. I was really confused, I didn't know what was happening. The boat came by to pick me up, but I waved them off; I figured I just needed to calm my rear end down and get control of my breathing... you know, find my center. So I spent about 5-10 minutes at the surface working on chilling out and catching my breath. Finally, I felt like I was getting enough air, so I descended.

It was a rough dive, strongest currents I've ever encountered. I had spent too long at the surface and missed the scallop bed, but I did find two interesting old bottles and caught a few undersized lobsters. I had 30 minutes of bottom time at about 55 feet and 52 degrees, pretty good considering the situation. When I came back up, getting on the boat was a little strenuous, as I was carrying extra lead due to the current, and was still carrying my bag (you are supposed to tie your bag off to the end of the flag reel, leave the bag on the bottom, and follow your line up for your assent, and then the boat captain will hook and haul up your bag). Once I hauled my fat rear end up onto the boat sat down, I was hyperventilating to frightening degree. I started getting lightheaded and a little panicky, because I STILL couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Have any of you figured it out yet?

In a panic for air, I ripped my hood off... and suddenly I could loving BREATHE. It took me a good 15 minutes to get my head together and realize what had happened: I had never tucked in this particular hood before, and it was literally choking me (I have a very short neck, so I only tuck in the hood if I really need the extra warmth. 52 degrees is super warm for that area, for this time of year, and we were expecting much colder)

Yes, I did an entire dive with a restricted windpipe. For the second dive, I didn't tuck the hood in, and everything was fine.

So, what did I do wrong? I guess I should have just gotten back on the boat when poo poo didn't feel right. But in my over confidence, I assumed that it was an internal problem that I could work through. I did work through it, but I don't think that that is necessarily a good thing.

Comments, criticisms, please.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 7, 2018

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My first guess was bad gas mix.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Trivia posted:

My first guess was bad gas mix.

Good guess! But the snorkel was just as bad, which is what convinced me that it was all in my head.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If something doesn't feel right, abort. Stubbornness and "don't want to waste the dive" is what gets people killed.

Didn't you do a breath check before jumping in?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't you do a breath check before jumping in?

Of course I did. It felt fine, because I wasn't breathing heavy yet.

Collateral Damage posted:

If something doesn't feel right, abort. Stubbornness and "don't want to waste the dive" is what gets people killed.

Yup. Plus the old, "I paid how much for this?" aspect of the boat charter.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Somewhat classic incident pit stuff but with an aspect I hadn't considered, namely that having new stuff and being nervous could cause you to blame an equipment problem on your own nervousness.

Basically you were doing a dive in new conditions with some unfamiliar equipment. You were also diving solo so didn't have a more experienced buddy to call things off when you took nearly 10 minutes to start breathing right. I'm glad things worked out and I doubt I'd have guessed the hood, that's a new one to me, but if you had caught a bit much in the current at depth and started hyperventilating again this might have been a mysterious drowning incident.

It's why divers should avoid loading too many things on themselves at once. It sounds like your club had quite a few experienced divers who've done all this before and busy assumed that because nothing had happened before nothing will happen. I'd suggest to that charter boat and your pals that divers on their first time should 100% be buddy diving with an experienced diver.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The Vikings posted:

Edit:

Did some internet searching, looks like Grand Cayman might be fun. Any must-see sites or recommended operators?

for the travel you will both be doing just say gently caress it and meet in roatan or Belize. West Bay for Roatan and Ambergris for Belize

Or do PBI and enjoy the blue heron bridge plus some boat dives (look up the blue heron bridge, it owns and we live 20 minutes from it so don’t take my word for it)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Florida’s east coast from Jupiter south to Key West has solid spots the whole way down.

I can be more specific if you’re interested.

this guy gets it :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I just booked a seven day live-aboard on Roatan Aggressor for the more attractive half and myself.

:homebrew:

Booking a dive trip makes me want to go diving. It’s a horrible spiral.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

This might be a supremely stupid question but what happens if I can’t complete the 200 yd swim my first cert class? I’ve been practicing but I get pretty exhausted around 100 yds.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I can't remember if there's a time limit for the swim, but if not then just take it easy. Perhaps switch to breast stroke, or back stroke.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey goon friends. I passed my padi open water maybe 10 years ago but never had the time or money to do anything about it. Now I've got a new job that's changed and I want to get into it properly

With that in mind, I see there's a couple of clubs and dive schools near me here in Scotland, but I'd like an opinion on what's best to do
I could redo my open water with a school
Do a refresher with a school
Or join a local club and relearn with those guys on a weekly basis

What would goons suggest? I'm leaning towards the latter personally as I've already got the cert and I could make friends along the way, even if it's the slowest overall option to getting to the fun stuff. But I'd like to ask for opinions

Thanks guys!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Join ScotSAC and have some fun! Doing a conversion course is possible and diving with a club is super fun if you get the right group. Scottish diving is real good too, doubly so if you can get to West coast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yes, the answer is always join clubs. The old farts know where all the good shore dives are, and often get discounts on boat charters.

But you could start with a refresher course from the local dive shop, that would be money well spent. The shops here in New England offer "Cold Water Refreshers", since there are a lot of casual, vacation divers.
Don't re-do your Open Water, though, that's just silly; the OW cert is lifetime. If anything, take a refresher course, and then get your Advanced Open Water. And the Nitrox cert, get that too.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Depending on where you are, if any of your local clubs area active they will do refresher or more advanced courses that will be cheaper than any shop course. Only problem with that right now it's we're firmly into the dive season and the club might be too busy to fit in refresh or training dives.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks friends, I went to my local club and they seem like a really great group. So I'm due to get a tryout in the pool in a couple of weeks then get through training to catch up.
That and reading through the textbook again, I don't think it'll be too long before I get back in the water properly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

A+ as a training officer at a bsac club I'll say that fresh, keen members are amazingly appreciated. Also Scottish diving is bloody awesome, the West coast has some of the best cold water diving in the world. Might be a way away but Scapa flow is on my bucket list. I'll also be diving in Mull in a few months that is super fun.