Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

PM 5 is now set to release May 4th instead of today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly Review: http://ec2-54-84-239-207.compute-1.amazonaws.com/psychedelica-of-the-black-butterfly/

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

my first visual novel was cross channel (the george henry shaft translation)

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm gonna give credit where credit is due and say that the psychedelica game has actually caught me with almost every single plot twist so far. I'm only still on chapter 5 too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Would it be good for someone who likes mystery stuff but is completely neutral about otome stuff?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Sakurazuka posted:

Would it be good for someone who likes mystery stuff but is completely neutral about otome stuff?

Actually yeah, the otome stuff was pretty lacking and there are a lot of endings that are not based on one guy.

I liked it a lot but it is a very short game. I finished the whole thing over the weekend.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It has more flirting than I expected based on people complaints about it as an otome game; but most of the "daily life" stuff is put into short stories. Honestly even those end up having tons of foreshadowing, and the game does lock your progress if you avoid most of them. That said it's really not much different than steins;gate or others of its type where there are girls to romance and flirting and romantic scenes but that the focus is on the main story.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Also, its not a murder mystery or detective game. The mystery relies entirely on what are the characters backgrounds; where are you; why you are forced to do what you're doing; what has led to this point etc. More fata morgana than chaos;child. So it's important to note that how much you end up liking it will be really dependent on how much you care about the characters themselves. So if the reason why you don't usually like otome is because you don't like soft mannered female protagonists or the type of character troupes of that genre or a cast with lots of guys etc then it probably wouldn't be worth it. If you just really give 0 fucks about romance and that's just that then I think there's a lot in here to be enjoyed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I rate it 4/10 anime BFs like most of the game is surrounding the common route vs romance. Also agreed how short it is approx 15+ hours.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Princess Maker 5 is out! I can't report on the game myself yet, it's still got 6 hours to download on my rural internet connection, but given the track record of this company releasing this series, people should probably wait for the bugs to get fixed and most egregious translation errors to get fixed. Or for someone to rig a patch that applies the fan translation to the Steam version. Some people in the Steam forums have reported errors with Full Screen mode, which is a problem in Princess Maker 3 that was never resolved.
Seeing as I'm a megafan of the series, I will be ignoring my own advice.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Catalina posted:

Princess Maker 5 is out! I can't report on the game myself yet, it's still got 6 hours to download on my rural internet connection, but given the track record of this company releasing this series, people should probably wait for the bugs to get fixed and most egregious translation errors to get fixed. Or for someone to rig a patch that applies the fan translation to the Steam version. Some people in the Steam forums have reported errors with Full Screen mode, which is a problem in Princess Maker 3 that was never resolved.
Seeing as I'm a megafan of the series, I will be ignoring my own advice.
I've played for about 10 minutes, and I can confirm that the translation is as awful as advertised. The screenshot on the last page is probably the best-translated dialogue I've seen. I'm contemplating just playing in Japanese. It might be easier to read.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally...

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

It's like a dril tweet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

That's a shame since I liked playing PM2.

In a unrelated note to newcomers to otome there's a lot of variations in the genre and even if ppl aren't interested in dating anime BFs the stories are still entertaining and less disturbing. I encourage ppl who like VNs to give them a try.

The Vita has some of the HQ games by Otomate and some PC games on steam. I'd avoid the mobage since they're bad and feel bad. I would say you can ignore the dating elements like in Persona series and just have adventures with your friends like in Code:realize.

Aksys' TL is all over the place but their licensed games are often Adventure games + some romance vs 100% romance. For example the next VN is 7'sScarlet and it's a mystery game out later this month.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 6, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Aksys this year has been so good to me. I'm into all the otomes they're releasing this year. I love mystery.

Psychadelica was real fun too, and I liked how interesting the system was. It was a great way to do slow reveals and feed drop information; though I wished they only ask you to "complete x side stories" in between chapters and not during them. I think this sort of system is a great way to have both a story that doesn't change tone/momentum at every step and also have daily life/light-hearted stuff if improved.

MY one only complaint about psychadelica was the casual sexism that would sometimes drop on the story, a shame because it was otherwise real enjoyable.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

MY one only complaint about psychadelica was the casual sexism that would sometimes drop on the story, a shame because it was otherwise real enjoyable.

Agreed and ppl tell me it's a part of that one guy's past but it doesn't really excuse it. I'd be having a good time and then suddenly I'd want to start hitting ppl due to their comments.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

Agreed and ppl tell me it's a part of that one guy's past but it doesn't really excuse it. I'd be having a good time and then suddenly I'd want to start hitting ppl due to their comments.

I could almost take it as a hint/clue for that guy; but it's present in all of them and not that different than the usual stuff I see in other VNs; so it's just good ol course.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

I could almost take it as a hint/clue for that guy; but it's present in all of them and not that different than the usual stuff I see in other VNs; so it's just good ol course.

Hmm any examples?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

Hmm any examples?

Well the worst of it was def with Hikage obviously but there were moments where characters refused to let you go, Karusaba would cross the line at some points; then just random stuff like "oh age is more vital for a girl then men", you know. The usual.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

Well the worst of it was def with Hikage obviously but there were moments where characters refused to let you go, Karusaba would cross the line at some points; then just random stuff like "oh age is more vital for a girl then men", you know. The usual.

oof it's gotten pretty sad that I don't notice nowadays since it's so common in VNs :gbsmith:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15imaVyOaO0

but i dont want to buy a switch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes you do

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

i just finished the House in Fata Morgana a couple of days ago. What a good VN! Its been talked about plenty in here so I wont rehash.

I was looking at the steam page for the sequel coming out in like a week while going through the backstage, and well, close enough right!?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I hope the switch thing takes off and that they re release at least the most notorious otomate games in the West. I can finally recommend some VNs without having to add ". .. But it's on... the vita..."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like the vita since it's relatively affordable except for memory cards. I'm still looking at the switch and it's small library for a while.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Speaking of the Vita, I just picked one up recently to go through it's backlog. Can someone rec me some good VNs?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best Vita VN is Persona 4 Golden

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Really Pants posted:

the best Vita VN is Persona 4 Golden

Whether or not it's a VN, this is always the first game anyone should get for Vita.

Along those lines, the Danganronpa games are good. Also the Zero Escape games.

If you want more otome/less puzzles, I don't know if there's a definitive best, but I would say either Code: Realize or Hakuoki. If you somehow have been collecting PS+ games then you might already have a few others you can get like Amnesia (which I still enjoy just for Kent).

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Chic Trombone posted:

Speaking of the Vita, I just picked one up recently to go through it's backlog. Can someone rec me some good VNs?

Steins;gate.

I preferred the Zero Escape series over Dangan Ronpa, but the DR games are certainly worth playing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Dangan Ronpa games are fun but the first two have really dumb endings and the third one has an ending that's fantastic but only works if you suffered through the first two. Play them for fun murder mysteries, not for deep overarching plots.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

obligatory plug for sweet fuse if you want an otome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meallan posted:

I hope the switch thing takes off and that they re release at least the most notorious otomate games in the West. I can finally recommend some VNs without having to add ". .. But it's on... the vita..."

It's more popular than the Vita could ever hope to be and the closest there still is to a cheap to produce for handheld so it's gonna happen.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would recc'd all the otome on vita even the games where I didn't get along with the characters.

Code : realize
Norn9
Psychedelica of the black butterfly
Collarxmalice
Bad apple wars
Hakouki
Period cube
Amnesia

@meallean: what did you think of CxM?

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 11, 2018

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Picked up Code: Realize and Hakuoki to get myself started (after Persona of course :v:)

Thanks guys! Excited to get back into VNs

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does anybody know where exactly Muv-Luv Alternative save files are kept? Had no problem finding them for the first game to transfer them over to the new AppID version, but Alternative is proving to be tricky.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Alder posted:

I would recc'd all the otome on vita even the games where I didn't get along with the characters.

Code : realize
Norn9
Psychedelica of the black butterfly
Collarxmalice
Bad apple wars
Hakouki
Period cube
Amnesia

@meallean: what did you think of CxM?

I liked the MC and thought she was smart; though overshadowed by the anime smart of the two of the LIs. She was her best in the main dudes route.
They did the atmosphere of a murder mystery right but the answer to all of the questions was super super easy. Like, I was half into the first route when I had pretty much everything figured out. And it was the less revealing route too.

There was a really weird decision to make the MC completely inept with technology and it was really aggravating in one of the routes. Again I though she was actually pretty quick on her feet, and then the writting would bring her down to go in favor of the guys which was p sad. Games should stop doing this lol.

I like aiji a lot but almost no one else did.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

It's more popular than the Vita could ever hope to be and the closest there still is to a cheap to produce for handheld so it's gonna happen.

I'm honestly hoping that well see more localizations of VNs in general if they start coming out for the switch. Maybe people will pick them up and interest will rise.

I personally know at least 4 people in my friend group that would absolutely love the poo poo of some VNs but don't have vitas and aren't going to buy one for a couple of games.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Is 7'scarlet more or less worth trying to obtain than psychedelica of the black butterfly?
I worry about missing out on vita games but at the same time I never have time to PLAY them, they just pile up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Well, now that physical carts for the vita are going to stop being produced, I'm even more glad for the switch.