Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Shore bombardment is very effective at damaging airbases and destroying planes on the field. I would send the raiders at Manus as a stopgap measure. One or two bombardments should suppress it enough that your bombers from Rabaul will have an easy time keeping it out of operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bold Robot posted:

Shore bombardment is very effective at damaging airbases and destroying planes on the field. I would send the raiders at Manus as a stopgap measure. One or two bombardments should suppress it enough that your bombers from Rabaul will have an easy time keeping it out of operation.
-IJN High Command, 1942 regarding suppressing the airfield on Guadalcanal

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, Charnel House looks actually a lot less insane than I'd expected. That attack by ~7000 IJA troops had nearly the same AV as ~400,000 chinese defenders. If that's the state of all their troops, they're pretty hosed. :stare:

Also, spend a month planning for that invasion.

(Also, perhaps pull out the KB for a while to replenish their airgroups and do some pilot training?)

uPen posted:

-IJN High Command, 1942 regarding suppressing the airfield on Guadalcanal

To be fair, he's got a hell of a lot firmer command of the seas, and a major base that's a good deal closer to operate from.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Magni posted:

Yeah, Charnel House looks actually a lot less insane than I'd expected. That attack by ~7000 IJA troops had nearly the same AV as ~400,000 chinese defenders. If that's the state of all their troops, they're pretty hosed. :stare:
Actually, that AV is that of all the troops in the hex. So the AV is even. I do hope that Grey will bombard for quite some time before attacking....

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DTurtle posted:

Actually, that AV is that of all the troops in the hex. So the AV is even. I do hope that Grey will bombard for quite some time before attacking....

What, and let the IJN get all the credit for their victories on the seas? We've been waiting in a holding pattern for months, while they gain all the honors! One good hard push and we will slaughter the Chinese and show those Naval twits what true honor is.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
What's the forts level in chunkking? And how many artillery pieces and tanks do you have surrounding it? From the looks of it you've brought almost entirely infantry.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah, a single bombardment is pointless, but you're in sprint range for smashing the place every night.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Planning? Like for an invasion?

Sounds like Navy talk to me. Full speed into the breach!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Very excited by the prospect of Japanese amphibious assaults this late in the war.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Does he have to start using a HQ to plan an invasion or do you think you have enough force superiority to not make this an issue Grey?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

wedgekree posted:

Does he have to start using a HQ to plan an invasion or do you think you have enough force superiority to not make this an issue Grey?
Any unit can be set plan for a future objective and will fight significantly better if they are at or near 100. For various reasons, you really really want high planning for amphibious assaults, including that they will take much lower losses during unloading. But it is always helpful in any land combat. There is no good reason for the Charnel House forces to not all be at 100 planning.

Units also fight better if they are within range of an HQ (and can sometimes get bonuses from multiple HQs) but I think that’s independent of the whole planning thing. Since HQs don’t really fight but instead provide bonuses to nearby units, I’m not sure if having them plan is all that useful, other than to avoid losses during unloading in an amphibious assault.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2018

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Finish up the AAR by landing on the West Coast and giving LA to the Emperor as a Christmas present.

On which subject, there's a guaranteed to be hilarious AAR over on the Matrix forums right now where the current Allied player took over when the first Allied player ragequit after the Japanese landed in an undefended Portland in January 1942 and instantly destroyed all of the ships that would have arrived there for the rest of the game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

...wait, how many ships is that? Can you do that to other west coast cities and shut down huge chunks of their late game fleet?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

So I've decided I need to invade Munda. I'm loading a division from Rabaul to go do the job.

Grey Hunter posted:

How did you get there?

Are we going to invade ourselves? As of 9 May we still controlled Munda. What have you been hiding from us with all of those strategically placed action summaries? :thunk:

I assume you mean Manus, but I still laughed

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

...wait, how many ships is that? Can you do that to other west coast cities and shut down huge chunks of their late game fleet?
According to the relevant thread, the following was lost on the ways at Portland, between current and future production:

46 CVE 
183 xAK 
43 SC 
77 TK 
4 AM 
28 LST 
5 AK 
14 YMS 
3 AKA 
10 APA 

And theoretically you can mess up Allied air and naval production pretty badly for the rest of the game, but it requires the Allied player to pretty much strip the starting garrison of the WC, not reinforce it or build any forts, and not have enough air search and attack aircraft to shut it down. It also usually should take a pretty substantial Japanese troop and ship commitment, and you're likely to lose a lot of them if you stay more than a few days.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
No BB or CV? Are the Allies even going to notice?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

The game is a 4-5 year logistics simulator with occasional battles interspersed, so yes :v:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

14 May 1944

USS Bonefish torpedoes the destroyer Inazuma off Borneo; RAF Coastal Command sinks the German minesweeper M-435 near Ameland.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

The Sandman posted:

On which subject, there's a guaranteed to be hilarious AAR over on the Matrix forums right now where the current Allied player took over when the first Allied player ragequit after the Japanese landed in an undefended Portland in January 1942 and instantly destroyed all of the ships that would have arrived there for the rest of the game.

... How did an Allied player not notice a Japanese invasion of the West Coast for a week?

... Macarthur was in charge wasn't he

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

It's over half of the CVEs they get throughout the war, so that's a lot of embedded air cover for invasions that suddenly won't be there. The tankers are also probably annoying to lose.

Bigger thing is it's a huge pile of VPs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I believe most of the other ships would appear on the "Eastern USA" base, which is unreachable.

wedgekree posted:

... How did an Allied player not notice a Japanese invasion of the West Coast for a week?

... Macarthur was in charge wasn't he

The two sides of the conversation are basically:

* it is unfair to expect the Allied player to have to prepare for such an eventuality, because it would be wildly unrealistic for the Japanese to even try to attempt this in real-life

* it's completely fair to expect the Allied player to have to prepare for this, especially since the game actually does model ground forces even on the West Coast at a level of detail that would allow them to garrison Seattle and make the invasion impenetrable using actual historical units making actual historical moves. It wasn't unrealistic for the Japanese to attempt this just because, it was unrealistic for the Japanese to attempt this because the IRL United States really did fortify themselves against such an attack.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Generation Internet posted:

The game is a 4-5 year logistics simulator with occasional battles interspersed, so yes :v:

It would be fun to make a game called WWII logistics simulator that was just logistics. You only hear about combat from reports. Maybe you can watch it happen like in Football Manager.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I believe most of the other ships would appear on the "Eastern USA" base, which is unreachable.

The two sides of the conversation are basically:

* it is unfair to expect the Allied player to have to prepare for such an eventuality, because it would be wildly unrealistic for the Japanese to even try to attempt this in real-life

* it's completely fair to expect the Allied player to have to prepare for this, especially since the game actually does model ground forces even on the West Coast at a level of detail that would allow them to garrison Seattle and make the invasion impenetrable using actual historical units making actual historical moves. It wasn't unrealistic for the Japanese to attempt this just because, it was unrealistic for the Japanese to attempt this because the IRL United States really did fortify themselves against such an attack.

What an idiotic argument. It's unrealistic for anyone to play as the Japanese, because in real life they had no chance. This game is about doing the unrealistic, from the outset. If you want to play a game with someone, you'd better be ready for them to play the Japanese ahistorically, because that's their only option if they want to do well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's unrealistic to play as the Japanese because there should always be two Japanese players and they should be chosen based on how badly they hate each other.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

It's unrealistic to play as the Japanese because there should always be two Japanese players and they should be chosen based on how badly they hate each other.

Would unironically play WWII Imperial Japan Interservice Sabotage Simulator.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BUG JUG posted:

You win by having future historians blame the other service for Japan's loss.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

What an idiotic argument. It's unrealistic for anyone to play as the Japanese, because in real life they had no chance. This game is about doing the unrealistic, from the outset. If you want to play a game with someone, you'd better be ready for them to play the Japanese ahistorically, because that's their only option if they want to do well.

So the obvious response is 'sometimes stupid works'.

Spectactularly so

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

BUG JUG posted:

it's called decisive campaigns: operation barbarossa

stop stealing my panzers high octane fuel for your planes goring! they aren't going to capture moscow when my tanks are stuck without gas in the middle of the steppe

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

pthighs posted:

It would be fun to make a game called WWII logistics simulator that was just logistics. You only hear about combat from reports. Maybe you can watch it happen like in Football Manager.

Would LP this.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

A game where each faction was an independent game, just nightmare stuff

IJN vs IJA + USN, USAAF, US Marines, US Army, RN, RAF, Chinese Nationalists, Chinese Communists, Netherlands, Commonwealth.....

benzine fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 16, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's called decisive campaigns: operation barbarossa

stop stealing my panzers high octane fuel for your planes goring! they aren't going to capture moscow when my tanks are stuck without gas in the middle of the steppe

Decisive Campaigns: Pacific

[ ] No, gently caress off, MacArthur

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The carriers fend off a strike.

The carriers bombers are doing great work – that's a nice heavily laden troop transport!

The Manus Dauntlesses give me a bit of a scare, but it's all good in the end.

Feels good man.

I think this is not going to make the papers. Censors away!

Look, I specifically said to attack Manus.

We one-shot a destroyer.

This one protects my subs.

They have at least two carrier groups and a whole load of other ships out here.

There is no counter attack in Chunking, so it looks like I'm going to have to do all the heavy lifting. I'll start a week of bombardment tomorrow before the attacks go in. The city is surrounded, and they have to be low on supplies, so I can run those down a bit beforehand.

We are now 60% of the way to our target!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Naming a ship after Custer

Uff da

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
A big APA that's worth about as much as a light cruiser packed full of 1000 troops and their equipment. Oof.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Could this new carrier group be the one to actually buzz Rabul and put it down for good!?

fake e. of course it won't, they'll beach their carriers on Wake and lose half of them to the shore guns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You're doing real good at murdering the APAs. They are gonna feel it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

There is no counter attack in Chunking, so it looks like I'm going to have to do all the heavy lifting. I'll start a week of bombardment tomorrow before the attacks go in. The city is surrounded, and they have to be low on supplies, so I can run those down a bit beforehand.
Why haven't you been bombarding them constantly for the last year?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

Why haven't you been bombarding them constantly for the last year?

It took a while to march all those troops and all those guns overland across a bunch of hills without any roads, I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey's had a huge force camped at Chunking for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Pay no attention to the lacklustre Chungking bombardment campaign behind the curtain. Grey Hunter just sunk another brigade of Americans! At this rate, he's probably going to end up sending more Americans to the briny depths than died in both theatres of the actual World War.