Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is there ever a good way to figure out what the right option is for these choices?

Stine was left-handed, so the correct option is always that unless some ghost writer didn't get the note.

Unfortunately I'm right-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm right-handed.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’re right-handed? Really? Too bad. The Executioner grabbed your right hand. So you can fight back only with your weaker left one.

His ax blade is raised. You reach up your left hand to hold it back. It’s no use. You can’t win against his strength. The blade is sinking!

It’s getting closer. And closer. It’s only an inch away! You strain against it with all your might.

Right then, a blast of icy air comes down through one of the ceiling vents.

In less than a second, both you and the Executioner are frozen stiff. He stands poised with his ax ready to chop. Where are you? You’re frozen in position directly under the blade!

“Perfect!” you hear a man’s voice say. “My Executioner has his victim, and I have another exhibit ready for the opening tomorrow.” He laughs a wicked laugh and adds, “They don’t call me Dr. Wicked for nothing!”

It’s the evil owner of the museum himself – Dr. Izzy Wicked.

Iz-zy Wicked?

Yes, he is!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.
Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.
Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.
Scooped into the back of a trash truck and presumably compacted.
Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.
Turned into a candle by a tornado because we knew how to find our lifeline.
Dunked into hot wax after being cut free from a rope.
Paralyzed by an ambiguously-labeled lever and loaded into a skin-scraping machine.
Strangled to death by the Strangler.
:siren:Frozen solid and used as part of the Executioner exhibit.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Leave Axel in the Deboner.
  • Wake the sleeping Sybils.
  • Run through the Sybils.
  • Turn back from the building.
  • Climb one of the thick, fraying ropes.
  • Say we're left-handed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Not ready to come out of the closet yet

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Adamant posted:

Stine was left-handed, so the correct option is always that unless some ghost writer didn't get the note.

This writer got the note.

Guess we're now left-handed for some reason.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Left-handed we are.

You know, this will likely lead to a good ending, but not one of the goal endings, so in order to see more endings, I think we should proceed methodically.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’re left-handed? Congratulations! The Executioner is holding your right arm. But your strongest arm is free.

Great gobs of wax hang in hideous shreds from the Executioner’s face, arms, and neck. He’s still peeling.

Underneath the wax, patches of burned and raw flesh ooze! He’s half flesh, half wax. But he’s all bad!

His blade is aimed at your neck. You reach your left hand up and grab the handle of the ax.

The Executioner pulls it back. You grit your teeth and yank as hard as you can. His waxy hands can’t hold on. He lets go!

But his sudden loss of grip surprises you. You go flying backwards. And so does the ax!

You watch in horror as the blade comes spinning through the air. Right towards your face!

quote:

At the very last instant, you manage to duck.

The ax skins over you... glances off the wall above Liz, cutting free her tangled curls... ricochets back over your head... and spins to a quick stop. Right in the waxy back of the evil Executioner.

His mouth falls open in a silent scream. He arches his axed back and stands frozen in that position.

You and Liz gasp in unison.

For the Executioner it’s

THE END.

But for you, it’s only the beginning of the trouble you’re heading for. You hear footsteps behind you.

quote:

“Footsteps!” you say to Liz. After your brush with the evil Executioner, you’re not taking any chances. “Quick, let’s hide!”

You search for a place to hide, but the room is empty! Except for one thing. So you do the only thing you can...

You duck under the dead Executioner’s black cape.

A moment later you hear a man’s voice. “I told those kids to wait in the lobby!” he says angrily. “Now they’re holding up the whole group!”

It’s Mr. Dunning!

“Mr. Dunning!” Liz calls as you throw off the cape. “It’s us! We’re here!”

But he’s not there. Where could he have gone? you wonder.

Then, through a small doorway you hadn’t noticed before, you hear his voice again: “I told those kids to wait in the lobby!”

“Mr. Dunning!” you shout. And the two of you burst through the little doorway into... a closet!

What’s going on? you think. Then you see something that makes your blood run cold.

quote:

“I told those kids to wait in the lobby!” the voice repeats. “Now they’re holding up the whole group. I told those kids to wait in the lobby! Now they’re holding up the whole group!”

There, on a closet shelf, sits a tape recorder. It’s playing a tape labeled DUNNING AUDIO in black magic marker. The door slams behind you. And you hear the lock turn.

“It’s only a tape recording of Mr. Dunning’s voice,” you whisper. You’re too stunned to scream.

Liz starts pounding on the door, but it’s no use. No one’s going to let you out.

You’re trapped in here with the voice of Mr. Dunning playing endlessly. “I told those kids to wait in the lobby! Now they’re holding up the whole group!”

The Executioner was bad, but this is horrible! What could be worse than listening to Mr. Dunning’s dull voice forever? Whoever said history never repeats itself?

Looks as if you’re doomed to be bored to death in...

THE END

Well, that was a bit of a dick move. Maybe an achievement will make up for it.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Paralyzed by an ambiguously-labeled lever and loaded into a skin-scraping machine.
Frozen solid and used as part of the Executioner exhibit.
:siren:Trapped in a room listening to a recording of your teacher's voice.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:On the Chopping Block: Killed the Executioner with his own axe.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Run through the Sybils.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Those two events seem completely unrelated. We killed a wax monster to get locked in a closet.
Running through the Sybils sounds like fun.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

What the hell?

Back to those frayed ropes

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Run through the Sybils

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is a weird book.

rudecyrus posted:

Run through the Sybils

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I'm genuinely surprised that being left-handed wasn't an auto-win.

A rope frayed but thick.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Stand Still, Save Oxygen

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide you’d rather not mess with the blowtorch. “Let’s run right at them,” you whisper to Liz. “Maybe we can fight our way through.”

It’s a slim chance. But slim is better than none. “Bombs away!” you shout, and charge at the mass of zombie Sybils.

You smash into Sybil 32. Weird! She’s incredibly light – as if she’s hollow. She wobbles. Bounces against Sybil 29 and Sybil 44. Falls to the floor. And lies there, helpless.

This is easy! You and Liz plowed through the Sybils, pushing and shoving. Right. Left. They topple like bowling pins.

“Hey, I got a spare!” Liz laughs.

“Maybe we should set them up for another frame,” you joke.

You notice that Liz is ahead of you. “Slow down,” you call.

“I can’t!” she yells. “I’m being pulled!”

A second later you’re caught in the same powerful suction. Your clothes billow in front of you. It’s like being sucked into a vacuum cleaner. You dig in your heels. But you can’t stop.

You’re dragged toward a lavender screen – and pinned. Helpless! “What’s happening?” you shout.

“You’ll find out,” Axel’s voice says. The skull-faced driver steps out from behind some shelves and calls, “Your victims are ready, Miss Sybil!”

This leads us to the same final showdown scenario as if we'd used the blowtorch. Personally, if I'd written this book, I'd have made it so choosing not to use the blowtorch here lets you use it against Sybil if you failed to pick up the mirror. Considering some of the other endings in this book, I doubt the Scholastic censors would have kicked up too much of a fuss about killing a monster with a blowtorch. But I digress.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror
Blowtorch

Bad Endings
Trapped in a room listening to a recording of your teacher's voice.

Achievements
On the Chopping Block: Killed the Executioner with his own axe.

Our options posted:

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 17, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Stand Still, Save Oxygen

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Wake Sybils: Stine of the Rebellion

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leave Axel in the Deboner

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Well, since running through them didn't do anything, let's wake them instead.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Still voting to hold breath.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Fraying ropes.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Leave Axel in the Deboner

Heh. Boner.

*ahem* Seconded.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Three-way tie between waking the Sybil clones, staying still to conserve oxygen in the tube, and leaving Axel in the Deboner. Next vote for one of these takes it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Sybils need to stop hitting the snooze button. Wake the Sybils up.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sorry for the late update; my brother needed the family computer for a school project yesterday and I couldn't get on. Anyway, you know how I've been none-too-subtly hinting about the best bad ending in the book?

quote:

“I’m going to wake one up,” you say. “I bet she can give us advice on getting out of here.”

Bending down, you take Sybil 85 by the shoulders. Her skin feels cold and gooey. Yuck! But this is no time to be squeamish! You shake her gently.

Nothing happens.

You shake again. Harder. Still nothing. “She’s a heavy sleeper,” you complain. “Liz, try one of the other ones.”

Soon you and Liz are both shaking away. But the sleeping Sybils just keep snoring! What’s wrong with them?

“Ha!” a voice behind you suddenly sneers. Axel! “You’ve fallen right into Miss Sybil’s wax trap!”

Wax trap?

You spin around. That is, you try to. But you can’t. Your hands are stuck fast in Sybil 85’s gooey skin!

quote:

These sleeping Sybils are made of wax! And the wax has melted and swallowed your hands!

“Don’t bother to struggle,” Axel says cheerfully. “This is very special wax. You can’t break free.”

You try anyway, of course. But Axel’s right.

You’re trapped!

“Miss Sybil,” Axel calls. “We’ve got them.”

“Excellent,” a female voice answers. “Just give me a moment to prepare the Face Lifter.”

The Face Lifter! You and Liz exchange horrified glances.

“NOOO!” you shout, and strain more frantically than ever to pull your hands free. In fact, you struggle so hard you begin to hyperventilate. Suddenly the room is swimming in front of your eyes. And then you faint.

quote:

You come to slowly. You can’t remember the last time you felt this lousy! Cautiously, you open one eye.

What you see makes you wish you hadn’t. Across from you, eyeballs are staring back at you. They’re dangling on long strings, like garlic. Some of them look oddly familiar...

You’ve got a bad feeling about this. You open your other eye.

Eek!

quote:

Your two eyes are staring into each other – from about ten feet apart!

You scream.

Your voice comes from all the way across the room!

Both your eyes swivel wildly. Now you can see other bits of you, hanging on nearby racks. There’s your right arm... and your left foot... and that ear over there is Liz’s! You recognize her gold earring!

“Too bad they got so banged up. Now I’ll have to find some new victims for the Face Lifter. Oh, well, at least we saved some of their body parts for the other experiments,” a voice says. You recognize it as Axel’s. But you can’t tell where it’s coming from, because you don’t know where your ears are.

You wonder what “other experiments” are in store for you. You’re sure you’ll find out soon. Anyway, there’s nothing you can do now. There’s no point in getting all broken up about it!

THE END

It's amazing what you can get away with in a children's book if you fade to black during the gory bits, isn't it?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror

Bad Endings
:siren:Dismembered into a collection of self-aware facial features.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 21, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
:stare:

Let's be a real jerk and leave Axel in the Deboner

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I think I said something about how this book doesn't gently caress around earlier? Yeah. drat. This is up there with House of Hell on the "better hope your parents don't decide to check out the children's gamebook you're reading" scale.

Frayed ropes. Again.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 20, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

what the gently caress :stonk:

Leave Axel in the Deboner.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
That, uh, certainly lived up to the hype.
Turn back.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Get debonered, Axel

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

"Special thanks to Ghostwriter Editorial Assistant Eli Roth!"

Leave Axel in the Deboner.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Forget it, skull-face!” you say. “No way are we going to help you. Not after all you did to us! You got yourself into the Deboner. Now you can get yourself out.”

“Aaaargh!” Axel howls with rage.

You and Liz walk away, leaving him hanging in the claws of the Deboner. You can hear him thrashing and trying to get loose. But you don’t pay any attention to it.

That is, until a heavy hand falls on your shoulder.

“So you were just going to leave me there to be deboned like a piece of chicken,” Axel growls in your ear.

Oh, no! He’s free! Somehow he managed to escape the machine’s awful claws!

You’re terrified. But you have to ask.

“Wh-what are you going to do to us?” you croak.

quote:

Axel hoists you up by your shirt collar. In the other hand, he’s got Liz. You both kick and struggle, but it does no good. Axel is inhumanly strong! His bony jaws clack as he laughs his demented laugh.

“I should take you to Miss Sybil,” he tells you. “But I don’t want to. I can always get her more victims. And you two have made me very angry. I want to punish you.”

He hauls you over to the Deboner. “Let’s see how you like this,” he chuckles, and tosses you into the funnel. Mechanical claws swoop down instantly and seize you. In less than ten seconds, you’re hanging like clothes on a line. A tiny jigsaw whirs directly toward your eyes. You hear Liz scream.

quote:

The next thing you know, you’re lying on the floor, staring up at a lavender ceiling. You feel all right. Kind of limp, but all right. “I think I’ll get up and look around,” you say to yourself.

But when you try to sit up, you get the shock of your life. Your body won’t obey you. All you can do is ooze a little.

“What’s happening?” you whimper. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a skin rug on the floor nearby. It’s freckled. And it has a mop of red hair on top. And it’s pulsing slowly.

With a shock, you realize it’s Liz. Liz without her bones!

It’s all coming back to you now. The Deboner machine. That’s why you can’t move. You’ve been deboned! You no longer have a skeleton! You’re just an envelope of skin!

Make no bones about it, this is...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Dismembered into a collection of self-aware facial features.
:siren:Had our entire skeleton surgically removed.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

loving yikes :stare:

Stay Still Save Oxygen

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Jesus Christ this book is nightmare fuel.

Frayed ropesssss

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did we go from the goofy bad endings like Axel driving off of a cliff for no reason to "Suddenly, you were violently dismembered, but you're still alive and can see all of your body parts writhing in agony"?

Save oxygen.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lie still and don't breathe.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Stay still.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How did we go from the goofy bad endings like Axel driving off of a cliff for no reason to "Suddenly, you were violently dismembered, but you're still alive and can see all of your body parts writhing in agony"?

Save oxygen.

Same reason the otherwise tonally consistent and very solid Under the Magician's Spell suddenly pulled some "the class bully's grandmother is a witch and also a werewolf" bullshit in one of its dead ends, I guess. Random ghost writers coming in to write a few endings and then leaving.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Adamant posted:

Same reason the otherwise tonally consistent and very solid Under the Magician's Spell suddenly pulled some "the class bully's grandmother is a witch and also a werewolf" bullshit in one of its dead ends, I guess.

I actually liked that part, even if the "kidneys/kids' knees" pun was kind of dumb in hindsight.

quote:

You try to save oxygen in this glass prison by standing perfectly still. Apparently, Liz has the same idea. She breathes slowly inside her tube. You can’t see Jake at all. His tube is filled with a cloud of white steam.

Your mind works overtime. What’s this all about? Those two men talked about getting you ready for Dr. Wicked. They said this steaming was just the first step. First step of what? You’re not sure you want to know. You’d rather just get out alive!

Steam whooshes in the through a hose in the top of the test tube. You brace yourself for the pain...

But it never comes! Instead, your pores open as the steam gives your skin a deep cleansing. It’s hot, but not so hot you can’t stand it.

Then, as suddenly as the steam appeared, it clears. You see you’re moving again. The test tubes are lined up along a rolling track. Jake’s tube is far ahead of you, rattling as it goes.

Behind you, Liz looks as surprised as you that it’s over. You raise your hand to the glass to wave at her.

As you do, you bump the latch on the glass door – and it wiggles loose!

quote:

You know a chance to escape when you see one. You push the door. It swings open!

Immediately the test tubes stop moving. You jump out. The men with the doctor’s masks are nowhere in sight. You run back to Liz’s tube and unseal her door.

“Thanks!” Liz exclaims as she jumps out.

“Are you all right?” you ask.

“I’m fine,” she assures you. “But what about Jake? I can’t see him anymore. He disappeared into that opening in the wall!”

Liz is right. Jake’s test tube is out of sight.

You run to the opening in the wall. When you peer in, you can’t see Jake’s tube. But what you do see is so frightening it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up!

It’s the next step. And it couldn’t be worse.

A sign at the end of a long tunnel flashes these words: SKIN SCRAPING CENTER.

“They’re going to skin Jake alive!” you breathe in horror.

quote:

“What do you mean, skin Jake alive?” Liz cries.

“Remember one of the masked guys talked about getting Jake ready for the ‘next step’?” you ask. “Jake got through the steaming step. The sign above the end of the tunnel says Skin Scraping Center. That must be the next step!”

“You mean they’re going to scrape Jake’s skin... off?” Liz shudders. “But why?”

“I haven’t figured that out yet,” you admit. “But I know we’ve got to save him. Quick, get back into your test tube!”

“WHAT?” Liz cries. “Are you crazy?”

“Trust me,” you say. “It’s the only way to follow Jake!”

You push Liz back into her tube. Then you jump into your own tube and pull the door closed.

Just as you hoped, the track starts moving again. You and Liz are headed for the Skin Scraping Center!

You hope you won’t be too late to save Jake. That is, if you can survive yourselves...

quote:

The track moves you and Liz toward the opening in the wall.

Then something unexpected happens.

Instead of the track taking you to the Skin Scraping Center straight ahead, your test tube veers off to the left.

Spotlights flicker on along the track. You’re not in a tunnel at all now. The test tubes are moving through a well-lit cave with a high ceiling.

Without warning, the test tubes stop moving. The doors swing open slowly.

A recorded voice over a loudspeaker repeats mechanically: “Watch your step, please, as you are leaving your capsule. Watch your step, please, as you are leaving your capsule. Watch your step, please, as you are leaving your capsule.”

quote:

Nervously, you and Liz step down from the tubes. You glance around for Jake. But you don’t see him anywhere.

Where is that voice coming from? you wonder. Then you spot two speakers hanging from wires on the cavelike walls.

“There’s no one here,” Liz whispers.

A few steps away, you see two bucket seats lined with cushions. Two comfortable chairs just sitting there in the middle of the cave. Without thinking, you and Liz fall into the soft, cushioned seats to collect your thoughts.

“We’ve lost Jake.” You state the obvious. “If only we could find Mr. Dunning and the group!”

“What kind of weird wax museum is this, anyway? There’s something terrible happening here,” Liz says.

Another recorded message suddenly blares through the cavern: “For the convenience of other visitors, please keep moving...”

Then the floor beneath your seats starts to move. Just like the test tubes. “Hey!” you shout, trying to get up.

A bar falls down across your lap. Another drops down on Liz.

Wait a minute, you think. You’ve been in seats like these before. At the amusement park! You must have stumbled onto some sort of wax museum ride. Hope it’s a good one!

quote:

The seats move forward into yet another dark tunnel. It’s so dark you can’t even see your hand in front of your face.

Then your seat swivels abruptly and the lights come up.

Before you is a wax diorama. It shows a stone-walled room filled with weird, old-fashioned science equipment. In the middle of the floor is a doctor’s examining table. You recognize the setting – you’ve seen the movie at least five times.

It’s a scene from Frankenstein!

But there’s something wrong. A wax statue of Igor, the creepy assistant, stands with his hand on the power switch. His mouth is open as if he’s talking to someone. Except that there’s no one else there. What’s more, the examining table is empty.

Where’s Dr. Frankenstein?

And where’s the monster?

Weird! You know the museum is set to open tomorrow. So where are the missing statues? Maybe you should investigate.

Liz has a different plan in mind.

quote:

“That’s plain creepy!” Liz cries. “Stop the ride! I want to get off!”

She pushes hard against the metal lap bar. Everything screeches to a halt.

A moment later the lights go out. You’re sitting in the dark again!

What happens next depends on what day of the week it is.

If you're reading this on a weekday, the ride starts right back up again. Go to PAGE 51

If you're reading this on a weekend, you have to get off the ride. Go to PAGE 25.

quote:

After a second, the bucket seats start up again. You turn the corner. There’s light up ahead.

A recorded voice says, “We hope you’ve enjoyed the show. Please watch your step as you leave the ride.” The bars lift from your laps and you step out.

You’re in a little room with mirrors on the pale green walls. On one wall there’s an open door. A sign above it says WELCOME TO THE “RIVER OF WAX” MAZE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Beyond it, a narrow path is bordered by clear glass ditches. What looks like hot wax flows through the ditches – popping and bubbling as it goes. Now you see why it’s risky to enter this maze. You wouldn’t want to slip and fall into the wax!

Liz starts to say something, but you cut her off. “Shhhh!” you caution. “I think I hear something...”

Sure enough, barely audible above the gurgle and pop of the wax, you hear voices. You can’t make out what they’re talking about, but you know who they are. You’d know those voices anywhere. How could you forget them?

“It’s them!” you whisper to Liz. “The guys with the doctor’s masks. We must be close to Jake! Come on!”

quote:

If you finish the maze successfully, go straight to PAGE 124. If you don't get through the maze, close the book and take a cold shower. You've just been riding on a river of burning wax!

Completing the maze drops us off in the Wax Dipping Laboratory for the confrontation with Dr. Wicked. Yes, we just got railroaded from what is potentially the third choice in the book straight to the end of the story path. Now you know why I suggested we check out the shadows first.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Dismembered into a collection of self-aware facial features.
Had our entire skeleton surgically removed.

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ride the wax museum ride on a weekend.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
That maze is bizarrely arranged. Let's just climb the rope.
Also if you didn't want to do the maze, the secret message is: ONLY YOU CAN SAVE JAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Rebonack7 posted:

I actually liked that part, even if the "kidneys/kids' knees" pun was kind of dumb in hindsight.

I didn't like how inconsistent it was. The rest of the book was pretty solidly written and had a very consistent setting with the magician, his book and the stuff related to them being the only supernatural elements present, the random witch/werewolf stuff was ridiculously out of place.

Also, frayed ropes.