Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Gonna need some facts to back this up. The conventional wisdom is that careers kick off in your 30's. Unless you're an engineer or like a refinery worker or something, there's typically a lot of upside after you get established (and even in those cases, there is still a lot of growth potential, just more front-loaded).

Even engineers get substantial raises mid-career if they're okay with playing the job-hop game. I feel like that's the big factor for skilled labor in the modern US economy--the willingness to move wherever the money is better. N=1 and all, but that plus a pile loving pile of luck certainly worked for me. (The part I'm not certain about is whether the luck or the job-hopping was the bigger factor. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It really does seem sadly to be nearly universal that the best way to get a promotion (outside of government) is moving to a different company.

A lot of people still believe in company loyalty because it’s what their parents told them about. So people stick with jobs that will never give them promotions or raises, just increased responsibilities at the same pay.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sundae posted:

Even engineers get substantial raises mid-career if they're okay with playing the job-hop game. I feel like that's the big factor for skilled labor in the modern US economy--the willingness to move wherever the money is better. N=1 and all, but that plus a pile loving pile of luck certainly worked for me. (The part I'm not certain about is whether the luck or the job-hopping was the bigger factor. :v:)

Yup yup yup. Once people get in their 30s, they start having kids, spouses, and houses so you can't always chase the money/new job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shirec posted:

Yup yup yup. Once people get in their 30s, they start having kids, spouses, and houses so you can't always chase the money/new job.

Suck it, crotchspawn-havers :smug:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Barry posted:

Aziz Ansari has really fallen on hard times lately

lmao at the progression for each article about where your finances should be decade by decade:

20s: The Intern
30s: Master of None
40s: The 40 Year Old Virgin
50s: Running
60s: The Intern

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

lmao at the progression for each article about where your finances should be decade by decade:

20s: The Intern
30s: Master of None
40s: The 40 Year Old Virgin
50s: Running
60s: The Intern

Idgi?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It really does seem sadly to be nearly universal that the best way to get a promotion (outside of government) is moving to a different company.

A lot of people still believe in company loyalty because it’s what their parents told them about. So people stick with jobs that will never give them promotions or raises, just increased responsibilities at the same pay.

I just assumed that boomers taught their kids about company loyalty and stayed with a company forever so they could get a pension. But pensions are essentially non-existent at this point, so these days people job hop to get that nice increase.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Anecdotally, I turned 30 at a job where I made 57k a year, and I’m going to turn 35 at a job where I make 107k a year.

I had more than 100% of my salary as retirement savings by the time I turned 30, but I won’t have 200% by the time I turn 35.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/995381403830243328

I'm guessing the % of 35 year-olds who can say this is vanishingly small.

You might be in the wrong forum, but I was decently past this at 35, I am at 5x @38

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Foma posted:

You might be in the wrong forum, but I was decently past this at 35, I am at 5x @38

What’s it like to be unemployed?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Foma posted:

I think you might be in the wrong forum. You're looking for the guillotine.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/995381403830243328

I'm guessing the % of 35 year-olds who can say this is vanishingly small.

Get laid off when you're 35, salary is now zero

Checkmate, financial advise columnists

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Trap sprung, idiots.

quote:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
Talking about yourself

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
Talking about yourself

Lol enjoy your probation.

(I think they are all movie titles)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Marketwatch should stick to copying wallstreetbets posts and incorrectly reporting what happened.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Get laid off when you're 35, salary is now zero

Checkmate, financial advise columnists

Unemployment insurance checks are valid income!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What is happening to that poor fish in your profile??

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lowness 72 posted:

What is happening to that poor fish in your profile??

Having its unfertilized eggs removed so the rich can have fancy dress-up parties.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Having its unfertilized eggs removed so the rich can have fancy dress-up parties.

Every time I see that gif it makes me hungry. At fancy events they should just give us the fish to squeeze ourselves.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

no the article is good in the sense that it specifically ilustrates how lovely and unrealistic the steps you have to take in this country to avoid working until you die

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

FrozenVent posted:

Anecdotally, I turned 30 at a job where I made 57k a year, and I’m going to turn 35 at a job where I make 107k a year.

I had more than 100% of my salary as retirement savings by the time I turned 30, but I won’t have 200% by the time I turn 35.

You’re my hero. Please tell me more.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AndrewP posted:

no the article is good in the sense that it specifically ilustrates how lovely and unrealistic the steps you have to take in this country to avoid working until you die

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I think it’s depressing simply because getting a nest egg seems so insurmountable that it’s hard to get started. I don’t think I started really working on retirement savings until my early 30s because I was focusing on paying off my school loans, building up a buffer, etc.

Me at 28: fuuuuck
Me at 30: fuuuuck, but at least school loans are paid and car loan is shrinking
Me at 32: meh, at least I’m debt free, time to max out 401k and start building buffer
Me at 34: okay, start putting buffer money into roth
etc

One goal at a time.

also, +1 for jobhopping for raises, my AGI is nearly triple what it was ten years ago

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is happening here! Stop thread stop!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I overheard a complete gem while one coworker was telling another about his rental business. The guy was bragging about getting his investment houses for 30% under market, and got asked why he doesn't just flip them instead of renting them out.

"You can't get market value when you sell a house."

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can we get a probabtion for anyone who used I/My more than once in their post in the past two pages, thanks.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I overheard a complete gem while one coworker was telling another about his rental business. The guy was bragging about getting his investment houses for 30% under market, and got asked why he doesn't just flip them instead of renting them out.

"You can't get market value when you sell a house."

Maybe what he is trying to say is that the transaction costs of flipping with title in hand are atrocious, often greater than 10% and the return may be better if you rent the property

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Photex posted:

Can we get a probabtion for anyone who used I/My more than once in their post in the past two pages, thanks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's almost like there's a specific reason we agreed to that rule.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Every thread needs an empty threat. It adds character.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I wish we had a cold, distant thread-mom.

"Oh, you've decided to post that? You must not be hearing what people have said about you. A shame, really. I remember when you were a good poster."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Your mom must have dementia, none of us were ever good posters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Let's get back to our roots:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Haifisch posted:

Let's get back to our roots:

21st century kamp krusty

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Well, I have been looking for a good day camp for my daughter...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That 2x salary at 35 thing just gives everyone I know or follow on Twitter really enormous agita.

Like yeah, that's a great goal to shoot for but there's a lot of economic anxiety in this country and stuff like that doesn't really help. Especially when you don't have any numbers attached to it.

This is probably a much better article, except that I don't know that their numbers are super realistic for wanting to retire...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-15/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-wealthy-in-america

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Even if you retire with the average value the boomers describe as "wealthy," it's possible you'd extinguish your retirement savings with cash spending of $100,000 a year.

source: https://firecalc.com

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Even if you retire with the average value the boomers describe as "wealthy," it's possible you'd extinguish your retirement savings with cash spending of $100,000 a year.

source: https://firecalc.com

That’s not a huge problem, because if you accidentally spend an extra dollar you get the guillotine so you probably won’t last long enough to run out of money.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How about some truck equity chat to get back on track:

a reddit poster posted:

June 2016 I bought a new truck, I didn't like the truck I bought so I went back and purchased a different truck. It was all added to my loan, and it was the the biggest mistake of my life.

My loan total was $49,000

I was making great money and I figured okay, I made a mistake but I will pay it off...

Well life happened and my boyfriend and I moved to another state for his job, I had a hard time finding another job in my field, and my truck ended up getting repossessed. My parents helped me and I got my truck back.

My monthly payment is $730 a month

My loan total is now $39,000

My Dad suggested I trade in my truck, and figure something out because it's too big of expense for me right now.

I'm not sure what I can do... If I trade in my truck, won't that balance just be added onto the new car I'm getting?

Can I even do anything?

Is my credit too messed up now, after the repossession to even buy/trade in a truck. I won't be approved...

Please help... Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Guinness posted:

How about some truck equity chat to get back on track:

Why is it always lovely trucks? If you're going to have an American's median salary in car debt why not get something cool at least instead of a lovely truck that gets 4 MPG and looks ugly as sin.