Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Really nice colors, that balance between the sand and grey underneath is exactly what I'm going for with my 15mm panzer
Thanks! It's a surprisingly easy effect to achieve; just get your tan the way you want it, then stipple on the grey, concentrating on edges, corners, and anything likely to see significant wear. I also lightly underlined the grey bits with my edge highlight color to give the scuffed areas a little depth, but I think at 15mm that would be overkill (and also maybe a little hard to get thin enough lines to look right at scale).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Thanks! It's a surprisingly easy effect to achieve; just get your tan the way you want it, then stipple on the grey, concentrating on edges, corners, and anything likely to see significant wear. I also lightly underlined the grey bits with my edge highlight color to give the scuffed areas a little depth, but I think at 15mm that would be overkill (and also maybe a little hard to get thin enough lines to look right at scale).

Cool, do you drybrush the edges after stippling the grey or is all that finished with the tan beforehand?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Cool, do you drybrush the edges after stippling the grey or is all that finished with the tan beforehand?
I completely finish the tan first. My process is:

1) VMC US Field Drab (base coat, applied with an airbrush)
2) VMC Green Ochre (stippled heavily, gives the armor a slightly mottled look)
3) VMC Buff (light drybrush, primarily picking out edges. I also edge highlight hatches and panels with this color)
4) VMC Dark Grey (light stippling, concentrating on edges and wear areas)
5) VMC Buff (very narrow underlining of some grey areas to add visual depth)

Then it's just details - road wheels, tracks, exhaust (which is always super rusty), tools strapped to deck, etc.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

I completely finish the tan first. My process is:

1) VMC US Field Drab (base coat, applied with an airbrush)
2) VMC Green Ochre (stippled heavily, gives the armor a slightly mottled look)
3) VMC Buff (light drybrush, primarily picking out edges. I also edge highlight hatches and panels with this color)
4) VMC Dark Grey (light stippling, concentrating on edges and wear areas)
5) VMC Buff (very narrow underlining of some grey areas to add visual depth)

Then it's just details - road wheels, tracks, exhaust (which is always super rusty), tools strapped to deck, etc.

Awesome, thanks for the recipe.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You stipple with a sponge?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

You stipple with a sponge?
No, I actually use a brush. I've tried the sponge method but I feel like I have better control with a brush. But you can do it either way.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Played a few games after wrapping up the Band of Brothers BA starter set and building a boatload of terrain and ready to expand a bit.

Placed an order with NWS. Think I'm set on Bolt Action for awhile.

German Grenadiers Starter Army
1000PT Soviet Starter Army
US Airborne Bazooka & Light Mortar Teams
US Airborne HQ Command
US Paratrooper Squad
4x Pathfinders (Carbine, Garand, SIgnal Gun, Thompson)
M4 Sherman
Warlord Wrecked House
Sarissa Small House
Sarissa Destroyed Small House
Sarissa Destroyed Terrace Shop
Sarissa Russian Village Bundle
Order Dice - Olive Drab
Order Dice - Grey
Bolt Action Dice Bag
Armies of the Soviet Union
Armies of Germany
Armies of the US

In other news, here's a lend-lease M3 I painted the other day.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I wish there were more Streltsy sets in production. Zvezda's not making more and Strelets won't release their Strelets as anything but bonus figures. And the less said about the old LWs the better.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

How should I go about painting US Army vehicles?

From what little I know, you start with Olive Drab but Vallejo only produces this in Model Air and Surface Primer. I don't have an airbrush. What am I missing?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

First Time Caller posted:

From what little I know, you start with Olive Drab but Vallejo only produces this in Model Air and Surface Primer. I don't have an airbrush. What am I missing?

You can paint either of those on with a brush if you want to. The surface primer can go straight on the plastic and needs to be thinned, but the model air can't and doesn't.

edit: They also do make it in regular VMC paint. http://www.thewarstore.com/Vallejo-Model-Color-17ml-USA-Olive-Drab-M091.html

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 15, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First Time Caller posted:

You can paint both of those on with a brush.

As an alternative, Army Painter has Army Green in dropper and aerosol, and AK Interactive does a US Army box set

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
But if you're going to be painting vehicles, getting yourself an airbrush is a fantastic investment.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Painting large flat surfaces with a brush is just asking for trouble. Brushstrokes everywhere

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zokie posted:

Painting large flat surfaces with a brush is just asking for trouble. Brushstrokes everywhere

Thin your paints!!!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Army Painter Army Green is too green to be olive drab imo. It is a dark green, but olive drab is more of a greenish brown.

Phi230 posted:

Thin your paints!!!

Getting even coverage on a large flat surface with a brush is a ton of work requiring so many layers, always go with a aerosol or airbrush when basecoating vehicles if you can.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 15, 2018

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I always use Vallejo brown violet for US vehicles

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I start with VMC US Dark Green, then highlight up from there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serotonin posted:

I always use Vallejo brown violet for US vehicles

I had the opportunity to match an old WW2 era training aid against the Vallejo color chart and this was the closest match.

It is also a close match to krylon special purpose ultra-flat olive, if you need it in a rattlecan.

E: It was a scale training model of an AFV painted in OD green. Fun!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
dunkelgelb

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Just did a bunch of U.S. vehicles in brown Violet myself, looks great

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This sort of discussion is serendipitous for me, since I oathed a stupid amount of tanks this month and I was unsure which colour to go through. I probably should get around to getting an airbrush, though, since it seems like that's something of a necessity for this sort of thing. Well, in future, for this batch I decided to stick with my PSC spraypaints, considering the apparent risks I'm hearing about brushstrokes on vehicles. Unfortunately my US Armour spraypaint kind of...leaked, but on the plus side I can try out my vallejo paints on the actual can to see which matches best for any detail work.

Small side note: turns out that the PSC British & US Armour sprays are surprisingly close in colour. I think I'll use the British one for my Firefly, though.

Speaking of Brown Olive vs. US Dark Green, I have some US Paratroopers I'm working on and I've got 2 different paint guides for the M43 Uniform, one which is saying to use Brown Violet for the uniforms & Dark Green for the helmets (that's Artizan Designs), and another for the other way around (Flames of War). Which one should I go with? I actually have both 28mm & 15mm to work with, should I stick with one scheme across both scales or go with different ones for different scales (since after all those are two different scale manufacturers)? I also got a Scale75 paintset for late war US Army which would also be appropriate for the M43 uniform, but I'm not a super big fan of their super matt finish.

Please help me figure out the appropriate shade of green for US Airborne in late 1944, goons!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah the US and UK vehicles were painted basically the same colour as a base. Camo patterns applied over that changed things a bit, but not too much.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah the US and UK vehicles were painted basically the same colour as a base. Camo patterns applied over that changed things a bit, but not too much.

IIRC they also faded differently, but that's possibly different dirt.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All kinds of things affect the weathering, so it could be literally anything from thinner used to the boot rubber of the crews. Also the British stuff started to have a "black" mickey-mouse pattern applied over the base olive green at some point in late 43-early 44, so that would also affect wear.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, I remember reading that the British mixture faded a brighter green than the U.S.one.

I'd say use brown violet for the helmets, and green for the uniforms on the airborne.

What are people's opinions on Battlegroup Overlord?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Battlegroup is solid. Look into getting the core and give it a whirl.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Is there a good, fun ACW ironclads game that isn't like doing corporate taxes?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

muggins posted:

Is there a good, fun ACW ironclads game that isn't like doing corporate taxes?

Hammerin' Iron!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems odd that Elementary did an episode with a Neo-Nazi wargamer, and had the dude be a Napoleonics gamer rather than a WWII gamer. I get why they avoided warhams, but it seems an odd period to pick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

Seems odd that Elementary did an episode with a Neo-Nazi wargamer, and had the dude be a Napoleonics gamer rather than a WWII gamer. I get why they avoided warhams, but it seems an odd period to pick.

what

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A plot point was they tracked down the leader of a Neo-Nazi gang by finding him at a wargames tournament. It's... TV.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i think hes talking about that bbc sherlock holmes show with the big schnoz guy

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i think hes talking about that bbc sherlock holmes show with the big schnoz guy
<Raymond Luxury Yacht> "Ah, anti-semitism!" </Raymond Luxury Yacht>

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think he meant this.

The "modern Sherlock Holmes actually set in England" has Benedict Cucumber batch, who's a weird looking alien infiltrator with a very regular nose.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 20, 2018

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
It's obviously because Napoleonics is the master race of historicals :godwin:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I think he meant [url=https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191671/]this[/b].

The "modern Sherlock Holmes actually set in England" has Benedict Cucumber batch, who's a weird looking alien infiltrator with a very regular nose.
Yeah, it's really weird that I named the exact series I meant in the post.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i knew there was a nose related reason why i remembered him

quote:

“His nose was entirely wrong apparently,” Gatiss continued.

“We thought if only we could get the nose right we might have something. The truth is, this isn’t made up.” However despite the reservations, Cumberbatch was eventually cast as the series’ lead and proved the naysayers wrong.

but yes i was actually being anti semetic toward a non jewish englisman :godwinning:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

but yes i was actually being anti semetic toward a non jewish englisman :godwinning:
It was a Flying Circus quote about fake noses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
anyone know where I could pick up a ww2 luftwaffee pilot/plane crew?

I know about these Perrys
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=luftwaffe&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I have officially become Old and want to try and convince my friends to buy dumb roman miniatures because we all like Total War.

The question is, which would be a better introduction to tiny historicals, Field of Glory, or Hail Caesar? (Or another game if there is one). We're okay with rules being a bit complicated, since I have lots of time on my hands to read a rulebook cover to cover 8 times and relay the information. We'll probably be going for 15mm, and from my understanding is most of those games are interchangeable for sizes in case we do something else (maybe I can convince them to go 6mm!)

We always play as a group, with either 2v2 or 2v1 depending on how many show up, so if theres a game that has good team rules it would be a very good added bonus but it's not necessary to have that.