Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

confirmed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the hell I thought Orre was based on an American region.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the hell I thought Orre was based on an American region.

It is based on Arizona/New Mexico specifically.

And Unova is New York/New Jersey, Kalos is France and Alola is Hawaii.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Unrelated to all this, does anyone have an extra code for the Xerneas/Yveltal distro?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't need a code but I wanted to chime in on the favorite town chat. Mine is Fortree City in Hoenn. I grew up in a desert so I never got to have a treehouse, but I always wanted to have one. It just seemed like such a cool thing to be able to hang out in a tree! I love trees. Foretree City is a whole city of treehouses and it owns! If I could pick one city in all of the Pokemon world to live, I would pick there. I even made my Secret Base in a tree near Fortree so I could live there in a sense.

I love Fortree too! Just before getting there, the grass gets extra tall and it starts raining. It's such a lush, rainforesty place and I love it.

I also always wanted a treehouse when I was a little kid, but we had no trees in our yard.

My secret base was in a big bush just outside of Fortree.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dehry posted:

Here's the Pokebeach writeup of what is going on.

http://www.pokebeach.com/2018/05/major-pokemon-switch-rumors-today-a-breakdown-and-analysis

It apparently is all based on the Emily Rogers rumor so it could be true, it might not.

I really hope it is rumors and nothing else, I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna be supremely disappointed if it's just a lovely first-gen remake and not a next gen with new pokemon/venues/enhancements/etc. No way Game Freak and Nintendo would do something THAT lazy :colbert:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FelicityGS posted:

Unrelated to all this, does anyone have an extra code for the Xerneas/Yveltal distro?

Tell me a story:

Nth Doctor posted:

If I'm using the joycon to throw the ball, how in gods name will I hold down+b to boost my chance to catch it?

Also: Hey guys this month GameStop is giving out codes for Xerneas and Yveltal and I've got FIVE CODES to give away!
Want to save yourself the trip? Live way too far away from a GameStop? It's your lucky day.

Just tell me about your favorite town in a pokemon game, and why you like it. First five folks to share their story will get a code.

Nth Doctor posted:

Bongo Bill
Ohtsam
Zore
Truecon420

PMs sent. I got one more!

I still have that one code left.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I also don't need a code but I love Slateport City a whole bunch. The background music takes me right back to christmas morning :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

Everytime someone in this thread says the Pokedex entries are especially brutal or edgy I wonder at how technology has advanced to the point where children can post on a paid internet forum

Probably edgy in the sense that "I didn't really read or remember them as a kid and now that I actually read them holy poo poo" but there are always some :stonk:ers in there

Kadbra - FireRed posted:

It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.

Banette - Emerald posted:

An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away.

Haunter - Silver posted:

Its tongue is made of gas. If licked, its victim starts shaking constantly until death eventually comes.

Cubone - Blue posted:

Wears the skull of its deceased mother. Its cries echo inside the skull and come out as a sad melody.

etc, etc.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Tell me a story:

I still have that one code left.

Oooh

Well, it's probably cliche, but the city I most liked/remember is Lavender Town. It's the only city that's ever left a real lasting impression on me, and for that it's definitely one of my favourites.

As a kid, I was super easily frightened, and I had a hard time really grasping that video games weren't real. Pokemon Blue was the first game I had ever played by myself--I always made someone play a game for me and just watched, and then would play through doing exactly what they did so that I wouldn't die or have bad things happen to the character on the screen. So I was already pretty anxious about this little team of Pokemon I had gathered, but I felt like I had found my footing.

Finally, a game I could play.

And then--

Lavender Town.

First, there's that music. Immediately, I was on edge. It all seemed kind of normal, and there weren't any ghosts leaping out but then -- you go in the Pokemon tower. Team Rocket is up to no good, sure sure, but all that doesn't matter--it's not what I remember.

I remember that sprite, which to then terribly video-game anxious me, as terrifying.

And of course, there's how you have to have an item, or your pokemon are too scared to fight.

Looking back, Lavender Town is just top notch on atmosphere and mood. It has some mechanical things to really drive that home. It's ultimately just another Pokemon town, but I don't think any other Pokemon city will ever be my favourite, or ever leave as much of an impression.

(i don't have PMs, but I am on discord)

felgs fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 16, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FelicityGS posted:

(i don't have PMs, but I am on discord)

Okay I'll pop in to discord later this morning. Is your name the same there?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Its FelGSnacks at the moment. I'll set myself to away so you should be able to find me in the member list.

Thank you!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/project_eevee/status/964061171580989445

(Official Pokemon account for "Project Eevee")

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/project_eevee/status/964061171580989445

(Official Pokemon account for "Project Eevee")

Okay yeah, that's some blatant poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to turn my eevee into vaporeon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

an eevee version is cute but i don't wanna play pokemon go

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The good eeveelutions are Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon and Leafeon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's espeon sylveon vaporeon and good effort boy flareon

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hmmmm.

‘Pokemon Let’s Go! Pikachu’ and ‘Eevee’ Domains Registered!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

it's espeon sylveon vaporeon and good effort boy flareon

plz do not troll the thread with the two worst eeveelutions to try to trick people that they are good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The good eeveelutios are all of them, including ones that may exist in the future.

I hope this new game also comes with a new eeveelution.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxyclean posted:

The good eeveelutios are all of them, including ones that may exist in the future.

I hope this new game also comes with a new eeveelution.

If you use the DNA splicers with 6 different eeveelutions in your bag you get missingno, who's an actual pokemon this time around

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My main complaint with kanto remakes would be no new pokemon so if they add like 20 or so I'll be perfectly satisfied

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
let this be the gen of the dragon eevee

also this is going to be the easiest version choice ever

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Super No Vacancy posted:

an eevee version is cute but i don't wanna play pokemon go

I didn't avoid Go for years just to have it forced on me now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

My main complaint with kanto remakes would be no new pokemon so if they add like 20 or so I'll be perfectly satisfied

If it's a sequel instead of a remake they'd likely add at least some new 'mons, especially now that they've established "full 'dex in-game" and "full national dex" are two different things so the bloat isn't as much of a concern

And it would be Very Odd to have your lead-in to Pokemon on the Switch be a remake and not a sequel

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Raserys posted:

also this is going to be the easiest version choice ever

Yeah we’re all gonna wait for the third version, Let’s Go Missingno

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If it's a sequel instead of a remake they'd likely add at least some new 'mons, especially now that they've established "full 'dex in-game" and "full national dex" are two different things so the bloat isn't as much of a concern

And it would be Very Odd to have your lead-in to Pokemon on the Switch be a remake and not a sequel

I'd be even more okay with sequels than remakes

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheetah7071 posted:

GSC were already Kanto sequels as well, set a couple of years after RBGY and the gym leaders getting older and some of them like Koga getting promotions.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think sequels are better than remakes, as it allows for a change in story, updates and changes to locations and Pokemon and new gym leaders. I like that in BW2, you started in a new town in a new part of the map, and thus had a very different experience to that of BW1.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

im gonna intend to do this but be so nice to it it turns into a sylveon instead

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

i'm going for espeon again. its been long enough since i've last had one. vaporeon is a very strong preference pick as well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

Nessa posted:

I think sequels are better than remakes, as it allows for a change in story, updates and changes to locations and Pokemon and new gym leaders. I like that in BW2, you started in a new town in a new part of the map, and thus had a very different experience to that of BW1.

:yeah:

I've got my fingers crossed, anyways. The fact that they dropped Red/Blue into aloha as older post-champion guys might be a throwback, or might be an indication that they're not planning on doing "Kanto Remake Round 3", and going back to Kanto 20 years on would be rad as heck.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Espeon’s my favorite Pokémon so as long as they allow you to evolve your Eevee, that’s an easy choice for me.

But I really, really don’t want Go capture mechanics and I’m not looking forward to Kanto or Kanto dex. Even if a sequel with older Red and Blue as NPCs would be fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I can't think of a single way this'd be fun, short of every single map being remade from scratch with several new areas added and a completely different Pokemon distribution because Kanto is boring as poo poo. But considering what it is, we'll likely get another game where Golbat can't evolve, lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, I can't think of a single way this'd be fun, short of every single map being remade from scratch with several new areas added and a completely different Pokemon distribution because Kanto is boring as poo poo. But considering what it is, we'll likely get another game where Golbat can't evolve, lol.

I really doubt that, they haven't done anything that dumb in 15 years and every other remake expanded the pokedex and fixed distribution problems.

Like the Safari Zone in HG/SS letting you get Dark pokemon before Kanto. There are challenge fights on every route that have higher level pokemon and gimmicks/rewards, and to access them you need to beat every other trainer on the route and accept their challenge.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

I really doubt that, they haven't done anything that dumb in 15 years and every other remake expanded the pokedex and fixed distribution problems.

ORAS didn’t. The main quest is still tediously overflowing with Wailmer and Wingull. They didn’t even include the distribution improvements from Emerald.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

ORAS didn’t. The main quest is still tediously overflowing with Wailmer and Wingull. They didn’t even include the distribution improvements from Emerald.

ORAS sucked, yeah. But it did include some pokedex expansions with the soar mons and the new pokemon post Kyogre/Groudon rampage stuff. And it let pokemon evolve into any new evos from later gens.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hope they release a pokewalker app for phones that connects with pokémon eevee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zore posted:

ORAS sucked, yeah. But it did include some pokedex expansions with the soar mons and the new pokemon post Kyogre/Groudon rampage stuff. And it let pokemon evolve into any new evos from later gens.

I don't care about post-game distribution. Story is when I make my team. Also Kanto is just. Boring. You got forests, meadows, caves, towns, cities, islands. Pretty good distribution for 1996, the bare basics in 2018.

And good god, Gen 1 mons are boring as poo poo and Gen 2 mons are so hit and miss. I've used all the ones I like at this point except for Kanto Ninetails. And with my luck, Eevee version with have Arcanine. Because I can never chose the version with Vulpix in it.