Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And Honestly It's amazing how much creative freedom he was able to to get for Atlanta despite being a first time show runner. Some of the poo poo that he had to talk FX out of via their misconceptions of the Black community in ATL was hillarious.

He was able to get a dude who had never directed a TV show at all as his director. Like that's the most impressive thing to me about Glover is that he manages to somehow always have a level of freedom to create, regardless of your opinion of his creations, that other Black people in his position don't get. Kenya Barris had to bury a Black-ish episode about kneeling for the Anthem.

He manages to win these fights that everyone else loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Being on cable probably helped with the freedom. But seriously gently caress ABC for shelving that black-ish episode.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

From what I understand dude's always been really respected as a writer and whatnot so I'm not too surprised what he's been able to get through. He's def a good TV dude. I also think FX is a bit more open to different things since it's a cable station and I think they still kinda want that buzzworthy/"prestige" tv label. Also fwiw axing the kneeling episode may cost ABC Barris since I know there's been a ton of buzz about Netflix being willing to offer him a ton of control and a giant new deal similar to what they did with Shonda Rhimes.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Kenshin posted:

the correct response

whats it like still thinking apathy is cool

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

40 lbs to freedom posted:

whats it like still thinking apathy is cool

lol

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

alansmithee posted:

But in non-garbage music, Everything's Fine is still probably my fav album from the year. It grows on me more with each listen. Maxo Kream's album has also been a highlight, dude should probably be a much bigger star than he is. I could see him definitely hitting like Kevin Gates level. Folks was talking about the bladee album and like pretty much all the sadboys stuff, I wish the producers worked with better rappers (although i've kinda gotten used to yung lean).

What other stuff folks liking this year? Tbh not much new has really grabbed me, so I'm wondering if there's anything I've missed. I've been catching up a lot on the backlog of stuff I never gave enough attention the last couple years or so. And ofc cruising soundcloud wondering why there's like 10 decent producers for every passable rapper.

ignoring your usual stubborn bs this time on the topic of donglover, ive kind of been in the same boat as far as new rap goes this year. this week, ski mask didn’t grab me, playboi carti was so flat and samey, also listened to cardi b it was idk fine??? it’s baaically been Everything’s Fine and the new Janelle Monae, and then listening to random stuff ive missed like some MF doom and early lupe fiasco.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I wanna listen to more of Ski Mask but he's still inconsistent imo. I want more Blues Clues

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i really like the new kevin gates ep from today

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

anyone link Kevin Gate's new EP It's only 3 songs but they're all pretty good.

One of favorite albums out this year was Husalah's H which may have gone under folk's radars if they aren't into bay stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This year so far has been fairly dire.

That Black Panther album,Nipsey Hustle, PHRhyme, Cardi's is fun and has tons of bangers but isn't something I just listen to at the house.

I still need to listen to Royce's album though

But whoooo boy next few months assuming Ye isnt lying it's going to be insane. Drake, Pusha, Nas, Kanye, Kanye/Cudi

Maybe Lu releases Drogas Waves.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
i forgot the black panther compilation yeah that was good too, just haven’t gone back to it recently

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best song on that album wasn’t even a rap song.

Seasons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Counterpoint:

La di da di da

Slob on me knob

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's a good introductory Master P record?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to that Black Panther album all the way through

That and Sleep's new one are my AOTY so far

Nothing else has come out that I've really given much of a poo poo about

Or at least a lasting poo poo

(Except that Tom Hardy rap album from 1999 which surfaced all of a sudden and then disappeared from all services shortly after)

Fortunately that's still on YouTube though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAqQ8Myx-1c

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 16, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ahahaha this Tom Hardy thing what the gently caress

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

ahahaha this Tom Hardy thing what the gently caress
IT RULES RIGHT?!

Who saw that coming lmao

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
this is america
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B--EEsvXErQ&t=22s

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Vargatron posted:

MAKE CRACK LIKE THIS

MAKE CRACK LIKE THIS

G G G G GHETTO DOPE

THANK YOU DOPE FIENDS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

also isn’t alansmithee black? I’m asking cause dood at top of the page went at him like he’s white, but I thought he wasn’t. Anyway, I’m white. I’m sure you guys guessed it but just want that clear up any misconceptions.

Anyway, alansmithee can eat me for saying that people are criticizing Killer Mike for supporting firearms rights when it has more to do with supporting the loving NRA and parroting insane arguments. Making statements that you would put your college attending daughter in the streets for protesting the widespread availability of guns, FOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH.

I do agree w OP that Donald sometimes comes off as insincere. Yeah, he may really care about his music but his jump into it definitely came in the wake of Drake, and Aubrey is constantly roasted for being kinda phony. That might be part of my worldview. I’m a pretty positive guy but also kinda nihilistic, and I can vibe w songs talking about how you’re trapped or hosed, etc. What is life but a giant version of the trap?

Anyway, Maxo and Father need to ditch their weed carriers and they can be as big as they want.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

Ghetto's trying to kill me or Ghetto D

pretty much anything after mp tha last don i think is almost pure trash. and even that album isn't great. i think sometime soon after beats by the pound left (or maybe it was later, but their stuff was pretty much entirely getting overshadowed by cash money) and the sound of all the no limit dudes fell off the clliff.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 17, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

MAKE CRACK LIKE THIS

MAKE CRACK LIKE THIS

G G G G GHETTO DOPE

THANK YOU DOPE FIENDS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Giving this a spin now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

- Master P

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Vargatron posted:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

- Master P

Na-nah na-nahhhhh

- Master P

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
This year so far? Tough. Punken is definitely my most played I've listened to it front to back probably 30 times and a few tracks quite a bit more. The Black Panther soundtrack or w/e is good, Everythings Fine was good, Carti B was fun, but there hasn't been anything yet that really stuck with me (aside from Punken)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
glad maxo's getting tons of love. i agree w/ everyone that this year has been mostly extremely average

tjones
May 13, 2005
Young Bleed's My Balls and My Word was one of the best albums to come out of P's camp during that time, IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoT9yzldAE0

tjones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 17, 2018

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I’ve really liked prhyme 2, Black Panther soundtrack, Cardi b, rich as in spirit, and half of vacation in hell and even though it’s from late last year that yung lean really grew on me. I think it’s been a pretty good year for rap so far and I only really liked 1 song off punken. [Ask] me about my bad opinions.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Punken - maxo kream
Veteran - jpegmafia
Black panther
Gangin - sob x rbe
Care for me - saba
Invasion of privacy - cardi b
Rich as in spirit - rich homie quan
Beer bongs and bentleys - post Malone
Sr3mm - Rae sremmurd
Die lit - playboi carti

Is what I’ve heard this year and enjoyed

Didn’t like KOD at all.

Got prhyme 2 and new blocboy jb to listen to.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
I liked the Childish Gambino video, but mostly for the dancing and the shooting people, both awesomely done. The scene of him running from people at the end though, lmao.

It's cool, but I do wonder if the spectacle of it destroys the intended social critique.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Robert Analog posted:

I’ve really liked prhyme 2, Black Panther soundtrack, Cardi b, rich as in spirit, and half of vacation in hell and even though it’s from late last year that yung lean really grew on me. I think it’s been a pretty good year for rap so far and I only really liked 1 song off punken. [Ask] me about my bad opinions.

cardi b was surprisingly great and just a lot of fun. i am also a bit of a vacation in hell stan. i didn't find it as drawn out as a lot of other people, but i was / am a big 3001 stan still.

what song did you like? have you listened to maxo 187?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Telephones posted:

I liked the Childish Gambino video, but mostly for the dancing and the shooting people

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The Bob Marley remix album "chant down babylon" is a true classic to me.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wngm_Zbp8lo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i am embarrassed to say that i did not expect that. cool.

e: lol this is the best clowning of cole i've seen and it's done completely respectfully by a baby

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is real good

temple
Jul 29, 2006

im pretty sure kodak, tekashi, and xxx are young niggas and they catching cases but don't tell that dude
1985 isn't bad and fair advice and im 99% sure that dude didn't listen to it
im trying to figure out how why lil pump is a sacred cow

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Thom and the Heads posted:

just to clarify - you think the youtube clickbait posted above counts as critical analysis? yikes

I haven’t watched a single one of those videos, and I’m sure the poster hasn’t either. I’m just pointing at the implication that any attempt at an analysis is dumb (“Yeah, I get it, he’s dancing and shooting people while saying, “This is America!” seems to be all you’re allowed to say).

EDIT:

Telephones posted:

I liked the Childish Gambino video, but mostly for the dancing and the shooting people

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 17, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Dexo posted:

Some of the poo poo that he had to talk FX out of via their misconceptions of the Black community in ATL was hillarious.

Do you have any examples of these?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

temple posted:

im pretty sure kodak, tekashi, and xxx are young niggas and they catching cases but don't tell that dude
1985 isn't bad and fair advice and im 99% sure that dude didn't listen to it
im trying to figure out how why lil pump is a sacred cow

He doesn't seem to be explicitly defending anybody, just giving perspective and saying "Yeah my people do dumb poo poo and so did yours, every generation has that stuff, we just out here tryna make it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

j cole gave them boiler plate advice. that isn't a diss. it doesn't need a response. ybn cordae just wants attention. his song just platitudes about "the youth".