Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

In what ways were the one-handed spear and large shield using troops better than the smaller shield (or no shield) and two-handed pike using ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tomn posted:

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue what you're saying.

Here check out this helpful diagram (of course, don't forget to reverse everything for a left handed batsman, but *not* a left handed bowler!)

Cricket field positions are the holyromanempire.jpg of sports

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

do yanks not use scythes for rough gardening or allotment work? even my massively middle-class parents own a hand-scythe for dealing with large clumps of weeds or what have you

In my experience Americans prefer to use gas or electrical weed wackers for analogous tasks. I often use machetes and hedge clippers around the garden for tidying but have never seen anyone use a scythe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChubbyChecker posted:

In what ways were the one-handed spear and large shield using troops better than the smaller shield (or no shield) and two-handed pike using ones?

Vulnerability to missile fire.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MikeCrotch posted:

Here check out this helpful diagram (of course, don't forget to reverse everything for a left handed batsman, but *not* a left handed bowler!)

That was actually an apparently too-subtle reference to Mornington Crescent, which is exactly what that cricket talk sounded like.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

In my experience Americans prefer to use gas or electrical weed wackers for analogous tasks. I often use machetes and hedge clippers around the garden for tidying but have never seen anyone use a scythe.

Confirmed as an American, and we use either hoes or neighbor kids for removing weeds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

V. Illych L. posted:

do yanks not use scythes for rough gardening or allotment work? even my massively middle-class parents own a hand-scythe for dealing with large clumps of weeds or what have you

Can't say I see what use I'd have for a scythe in a small allotment or in a backyard garden, over power weed whackers or hand-pulling/clippers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Scythes were a victim of the 1950s quest for the modern age here in the us.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

MikeCrotch posted:

Where's the Sensible Point?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

V. Illych L. posted:

we use weedwackers because gasoline is/has been comparatively cheap as hell and nobody really raised the question of whether it was worth it to fire up the weedwacker for a few feet of garden bordering.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Scythes were a victim of the 1950s quest for the modern age here in the us.

They still exist - along with related variants and of course the machete - and you can buy them from Home Depot or similar.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Gardening-Tools-Specialty/N-5yc1vZc5r6

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Imagine a gaggle of suburban dads refashioning their Home Depot scythes into makeshift pikes

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

we use weedwackers because gasoline is/has been comparatively cheap as hell and nobody really raised the question of whether it was worth it to fire up the weedwacker for a few feet of garden bordering.

I don't know how it compares right now to Europe, but my last fill up near DC was like... $.65 a liter, so the cost to run yard things is truly negligible to me. Maybe it's a very American mindset but it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to use hand scythes. My house is on about a 1/4 lot and I wouldn't really want to do it by hand, but even with a smaller spot I think I'd just go with electric stuff.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Where's the Sensible Point?

That would be point.

It entirely goes without saying that it is sensible.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I've always thought that they were destroyed by the Goths or integrated by the Persians. I really like the works of their goldsmiths.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I used a full sized scythe with like a 2 meter handle, those tiny ones look terrible to use on a yard of any decent size.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ulmont posted:

They still exist - along with related variants and of course the machete - and you can buy them from Home Depot or similar.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Gardening-Tools-Specialty/N-5yc1vZc5r6

yeah, i have one from my grandpa. They are just far less used here and fell by the wayside when we went full on Space Age

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

Slavery played a major role in causing the Texan Revolution, but it wasn't the only cause. Remember, Texas wasn't the only state that revolted when Santa Anna suspended the Constitution and abolished state governments...it was just the only place where the rebellion succeeded. Zacatecas also declared independence at the same time, and, just after Texas got independence, Yucatan also declared independence, and so did the states that made up the Republic of the Rio Grande.
We were loyal though. New Spain was fine.
I honestly was not taught that. Just that it was Texas, which proves what horrible people they were. And that they tried to invade us and lost.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

it is very VERY easy to block a pike with a shield. But in my opinion the optimal shield is medium and round, not big.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulmont posted:

dude walked past me with a billhook a few days ago (the kitchen door opens onto the porch)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ulmont posted:

Yeah, I can see waving a bunch of these things at the gates of the local manor house.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Looks like a Kaiser blade, some folks call it a sling blade, but I call it a Kaiser blade...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hope this hasn't been asked.

During medieval warfare what would happen to soldiers that were badly injured but on the winning side and survived? A soldier that had a broken ankle for example.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SimonCat posted:

Looks like a Kaiser blade, some folks call it a sling blade, but I call it a Kaiser blade...

We just called it a sling. Always seemed to me the "blade" part was pretty obvious...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

bessantj posted:

During medieval warfare what would happen to soldiers that were badly injured but on the winning side and survived? A soldier that had a broken ankle for example.

Turned into glue

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bessantj posted:

I assume the camp followers cared for such a person.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fangz posted:

I assume the camp followers cared for such a person.

Who would have made up the camp followers?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bessantj posted:

Who would have made up the camp followers?

The obvious choice in this case would be the soldier's wife.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bessantj posted:

For your average soldier, camp followers take care of them or his buddies carted him over to a monastery. Monks/clergy generally had a bit more learning. If you're a knight, your squire (and you) would probably have had some basic medical knowledge. Enough to dress a wound anyway. People weren't totally ignorant about medical care and battlefield medicine, but there were very few professionals.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bessantj posted:

Medieval barber-surgeons were able to set bones and do other basic stuff. And medical knowlegde increased greatly during the medieval period.

bessantj posted:

As it said in the op: :justpost:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ulmont posted:

We just called it a sling. Always seemed to me the "blade" part was pretty obvious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fo3JAxajng

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Unscheduled update by personal request from Steven Zaloga

Soviet camo instructions, winter/summer 1941 and 1942

Queue: Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer", Soviet tank winter camo, Semovente L40 da 47/32, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25, 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
IS-1 (IS-85)
IS-2 (object 240)
Production of the IS-2
Russian Renault
MS-1/T-18
KV-100 and KV-122
Kalashnikov's debut works
SU-152 combat debut
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine

:britain:
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Cruiser Tank Mk.II
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX
Valentine X and XI
Australian Centurions in Vietnam

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8
Medium Tank M4A2E8

HMC T82
57 mm gun M1

:godwin:
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Nashorn/Hornisse
PzIII Ausf. E and F
PzIII Ausf. G and H
Jagdpanzer IV
Panther trials in the USSR NEW
Grosstraktor
Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR
P.1000 and other work by Grotte
PzIII Ausf.J-N

:poland:
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

:eurovision:
SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone)
TACAM R-2

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ensign Expendable posted:

I used a full sized scythe with like a 2 meter handle, those tiny ones look terrible to use on a yard of any decent size.

Yeah, it’s got to have that organic curve to it.

Not the greatest example but the first that comes up on GIS.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

I live on the ranch my family has operated for 100+ years, I've never seen an actual scythe. We did have a weird manually-driven rotary-blade lawn mower without a motor very early on.

My grandparents grew up in sod-built houses that burned dried cow poo poo for heating and cooking due to the lack of trees/timber.

US agriculture has very much grown itself on motorization and cheap oil.

The US Great Plains were mostly "settled" (expulsion and genocide of native peoples) in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It was a small gap between European settlement and introduction of more modern agricultural techniques.

one of my students (I teach science at a tribal college) gives me Lakota words of the day, he's an awesome old Vietnam vet

the word for this week is omaste meaning "the warm feeling of sunlight" (rhymes with oh-WASH-day)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 17, 2018

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, it’s got to have that organic curve to it.

Not the greatest example but the first that comes up on GIS.

I find that the perpendicular handle is key. I've never seen one with two like this example though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fangz posted:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1129426.html

is probably relevant. Not going to say I agree with the case but the argument is that nunchaku are essentially only a weapon whereas those other tools have a secondary purpose.

Personally though I feel like the bigger issue with nunchaku is people accidentally hurting themselves with it.

However will i thresh my rice

e:someone already beat me to my stupid point lol

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 17, 2018

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Amazing loving scanning job, thanks guys

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ensign Expendable posted:

Amazing loving scanning job, thanks guys

It looks like an old pair of underwear that had a document written on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

darthbob88 posted:

Confirmed as an American, and we use either hoes or neighbor kids for removing weeds.

I guess if you're paying them it's technically correct but it's still weird to call your neighbors kids hoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

My gardening tool needs a gut hook for... reasons!

Also, wow, Zaloga himself is doing requests for the blog!