Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

patonthebach posted:

I almost bought childrens medicine with no active ingredients because of this poo poo. My child is sick, gently caress your voodoo bullshit. I still can't believe a major chain carries this stuff. If people actually boycotted stuff that mattered you would think we'd all be up in arms against this homeopathic poo poo being sold in stores.

Extremely this. If it's 11 at night and I'm in a Shoppers looking for something, anything, that will get my kid to stop screaming I don't have the ability to check every bottle for active ingredients or lack thereof.

If there are pictures of that poor kid so stiff from infection that he had to be laid in the backseat of the car, homeopathic companies should have to put it on their packaging like the warnings on cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enforcing actual regulations on supplements and making the prove they contain the advertised ingredients would just be big pharma using regulatory capture to smash the little guy. The tiny little guy that is the supplements industry.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it was so nice to see Adrian Dix, the BC NDP health minister, giving those snake oil fucks the side eye

maybe if we elect an NDP federal government, we might begin to see some progress on that front

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If you want to see how completely hosed the supplement industry is watch "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". Takes place in the States but it all works the same here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Enforcing actual regulations on supplements and making the prove they contain the advertised ingredients would just be big pharma using regulatory capture to smash the little guy. The tiny little guy that is the supplements industry.

Won't someone please think of the small family businesses and the small family hedge funds that own them :cry:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

As a baby step I'd like them to just move that garbage to its own section away from real medicine. Put it over with the wall of supplements or something.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Can't wait till 90% of the shelf space in Shoppes is taken up by homeopathic "remedies" and legal weed.

Better yet I can't wait till somebody starts selling homeopathic weed. It totally cures your nausea, indigestion, anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite and everything else because it remembers the THC molecules!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does Shoppers sell healing crystals yet?

I've had people i used to think were functional adults suggest healing crystals.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think I saw a display of Himalayan Salt Lamps in the seasonal section of my local Shoppers recently

Edit: Keep in mind Shopper's is now pretty much just a 24-hour extension of Loblaws nowand they are just hocking whatever poo poo is convenient and makes them money.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 16, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powershift posted:

Does Shoppers sell healing crystals yet?

I've had people i used to think were functional adults suggest healing crystals.

I had my highly regarded family doctor tell me to get one and that people need to stop thinking about health strictly within the tiny little box of "science" it's been forced into. I thought his office was covered in geodes and poo poo because he was just into geology. Nope, he explained it was to foster healing energy within the space. Also about 50% of the nurses I've interacted with at hospitals are vocally supportive of homeopathy and "natural cures"

It's scary out there :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Like, natural poo poo isn't always bad. Aloe vera is really good for burns, and anecdotally whenever I've had a cold taking a shitload of echinacea has always helped it take less time to heal.

But at the same time, I always take cold medication, because it's also designed to help, and this loving idea that modern medicine should be ignored because natural remedies are better can go gently caress off. It's a giant exacerbation of the anti-vaxxer movement, and helps absolutely no one, because modern medicine is the reason our dumb asses manage to make it to 80+ these days instead of dying as infants or in childbirth like people used to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also anyone who believes in healing crystals deserves to die of an easily curable illness.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HookShot posted:

Also anyone who believes in healing crystals needs to piss out a kidney stone

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

HookShot posted:

Like, natural poo poo isn't always bad. Aloe vera is really good for burns, and anecdotally whenever I've had a cold taking a shitload of echinacea has always helped it take less time to heal.

But at the same time, I always take cold medication, because it's also designed to help, and this loving idea that modern medicine should be ignored because natural remedies are better can go gently caress off. It's a giant exacerbation of the anti-vaxxer movement, and helps absolutely no one, because modern medicine is the reason our dumb asses manage to make it to 80+ these days instead of dying as infants or in childbirth like people used to.

That's not the natural poo poo that everyone is harping on. Aloe Vera and Echinacea are both scientifically proven to be effective. It's poo poo like this

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/health-and-pharmacy/everyday-medicines-and-first-aid/fever-and-pain-relief/details/774016772380

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Health-And-Pharmacy/Everyday-Medicines-And-First-Aid/Cough-Cold-And-Flu/details/774016648968

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Can't wait till 90% of the shelf space in Shoppes is taken up by homeopathic "remedies" and legal weed.

Better yet I can't wait till somebody starts selling homeopathic weed. It totally cures your nausea, indigestion, anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite and everything else because it remembers the THC molecules!

It totally does cure some or all these things in people though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

why the gently caress are they selling that next to the childrens benadryl. that poo poo should be illegal.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Reince Penis posted:

It totally does cure some or all these things in people though?

Not if you know what homeopathy means

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

why the gently caress are they selling that next to the childrens benadryl. that poo poo should be illegal.

Don't worry the magical memory water is "non-drowsy".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

Don't worry the magical memory water is "non-drowsy".

drowsy's a loving feature for a kid with a cold. they'll cry less and rest more.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arivia posted:

This is why you only buy Buckley's. It tastes horrible but it has actual ingredients and you can taste them.

New slogan needs work.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My wife bought two of those salt lamps. Doesn't seem to cure gluten intolerance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

My wife bought two of those salt lamps. Doesn't seem to cure gluten intolerance.

Maybe she's not using them right. You gotta get them aaaaaaaall the way up your rear end, so you can't even see the light anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DariusLikewise posted:

I think I saw a display of Himalayan Salt Lamps in the seasonal section of my local Shoppers recently

Edit: Keep in mind Shopper's is now pretty much just a 24-hour extension of Loblaws nowand they are just hocking whatever poo poo is convenient and makes them money.

Fun thing about that, Loblaws is prioritizing shoppers over their own stores in deliveries, so we're constantly being shorted on stuff! Also their Ajax wearhouse must be staffed by Trumps legal team as it is so incompetent right now. Deliveries getting lost, coming in after stores close, all kinds of fun poo poo.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I'm remembering Shoppers selling those magnetic healing magical woo bracelets back at least a decade ago (if not still).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The term for alternative remedies that work is "medicine".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Arivia posted:

This is why you only buy Buckley's. It tastes horrible but it has actual ingredients and you can taste them.

Yeah, except if you look, the active ingredients in Buckley's are ammonium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, menthol, and camphor. So, baker's ammonia, club soda, peppermint, and mothballs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Really clears up those moths though

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Holy poo poo this should be illegal :stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VICE and the Canadian Anti-Hate Network have a piece on Thunder Bay's Nazi barista.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

infernal machines posted:

VICE and the Canadian Anti-Hate Network have a piece on Thunder Bay's Nazi barista.

Hahah, these guys are so pathetic

quote:

"I am a father of 3, an entrepreneur, a volunteer firefighter, I work-out, commute to work, manage employees and a household, cut and chop wood for my wood stoves, keep a flock of chickens, have a dog, and train my boy to target shoot, spend quality time with my daughters, and somehow I still find time to shitpost. I came from a single-mother household. I never had an ‘easy job’ handed to me. I graduated with 50k of student loan debt which I paid off with hard labour in under 3 years," he wrote on the 504um in April 2017.

Reality is slightly more nuanced. An arts student who graduated from the Ontario College of Art and Design after a sojourn in Italy, White and his wife moved to the outskirts of Thunder Bay in 2008. His wife, a civil servant with the Ontario government, is the family’s main breadwinner. They’ve since had a fourth child.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

Holy poo poo this should be illegal :stare:

I love it, it's 98% performance art

quote:

We skeptics make fun of homeopaths for using ridiculous ingredients in their remedies and then diluting them to the point where there isn’t even any ingredient left. However, the story behind Oscillo is even more bizarre than the usual homeopath quackery. In 1925, the French doctor Joseph Roy coined the term “Oscillococcinum” for small particles that he could see wriggling around in blood samples from sufferers of the Spanish ‘flu. He went off and looked at the blood of patients suffering from other diseases and found that he could see the same small creatures moving in those samples, too. He decided, based on this, that he had discovered THE causative agent of all disease. What he probably found were small bubbles or particles of dust exhibiting Brownian motion. We’ll probably never know…

Anyway, given his shoddy experimental observations it should come as no surprise that he immediately thought “I could make a homeopathic remedy out of this!” He hunted down a source of oscillococci. Now these things can be found everywhere, but he (for reasons best know to himself) chose the Muscovy duck. This is the species of duck that French chefs used in their restaurants. OK, you are probably thinking, perhaps some extract from the duck has some kind of medicinal properties. Maybe it does, but not after the homeopaths have finished with it… Oscillo is made using a 200K dilution of the liver and heart of a Muscovy duck (or “Anas Barbariae Hepatis et Cordis Extractum 200CK”, as it so helpfully says on the side of the packet). The “K” refers to the Korsakovian method of homeopathic preparation. Using this method, 1 part mother tincture (the full, homogenised liver/heart extract) is diluted with 99 parts alcohol or water in a bottle and then the bottle is struck against a soft but firm surface. You then pour this away. The theory is that what is left sticking to the sides of the beaker is around 1% of the original solution. You then add 99 parts alcohol or water and strike again, repeating 200 times to create the Oscillo solution. But there’s one more step! Place a drop of this solution onto a sugar pill and let it evaporate. Finally, sell to a customer. In short (and to directly quote Boiron spokesperson Gina Casey), “…there’s nothing in it“.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

I'm on the parents' side on that one, quite honestly.

I know I'm late but it sounds like you had some serious brain swelling as a kid.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/996923032517083141

Never 👏 support 👏 liberals 👏

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No poo poo. A leopard don't change its shorts.

But seriously, an OPC minority propped up by the OLP is the most likely outcome here.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You guys are triggering me with naturals/supplements chat.

Just going to point out that at a conference this past weekend some doctors revealed that all brands of melatonin they tested were 80% or more impurities. Our regulation of naturals and naturopaths is no better than the USA.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Espresso canuck is the new milkshake duck?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/996839592727900160
justin is... good?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Strategic voting!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eh. It's a very misleading statement. Violence at the Gaza Strip is intentionally vague and wishy-washy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but he totally wants to get to the bottom of who did it.