Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole space racist angle to Ashley is really overblown, it pops up in like all of one conversation and you can totally shoot her down on it + get her to change her mind over the course of the story. It's more that the human companions in ME1 are so lacking in any definable characteristics that it's the only thing that really sticks out about either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Probaby reffering to her visual “upgrade” instead.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

But what I really meant was that Liara’s motivations in ME2 make absolutely zero sense if she wasn’t in love with Shepard.

Can't she just have mad respect for Shepard? One of the few people that understands the enormous importance of the mission?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

If you let Ashley live then you're a racist, sorry.

Taear, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. Ashley was a good friend whose job was to assess threats to youmanity, and she had a family history pride chip on her shoulder for a while that you should have helped her with.

exquisite tea posted:

The whole space racist angle to Ashley is really overblown, it pops up in like all of one conversation and you can totally shoot her down on it + get her to change her mind over the course of the story. It's more that the human companions in ME1 are so lacking in any definable characteristics that it's the only thing that really sticks out about either of them.

She said the bad thing, if you say the bad thing once there is no redemption, even if your personal experiences might cause you to say the bad thing and later exposure or conversation might cause you to change your mind. Judgement must be swift and final, with no re-evaluation ever not once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

But what I really meant was that Liara’s motivations in ME2 make absolutely zero sense if she wasn’t in love with Shepard.

Whoever you romanced in ME1 should have committed suicide out of grief before 2 happens.

e: has there ever been a tasteful game depiction of suicide?

e2: DON'T SAY PERSONA

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Taear, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. Ashley was a good friend whose job was to assess threats to youmanity, and she had a family history pride chip on her shoulder for a while that you should have helped her with.

Also, her stance is explicitly "Having alien allies is nice and all, but we shouldn't become so dependent on them we lose the ability to stand for ourselves. If push comes to shove, every race will put its interests above that of its alien allies."

And you know what? She's dead on about that, as ME3 proves. She also condemns Terra Firma for attracting a lot of plain old racists.

precision posted:

ME3, Tali.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Saren!

Also Samara.

I guess Illusive Man counts

Man there are a number of these in this series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, I never did watch that Tali scene

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Tali and Shepard live the rest of their days together in a little cabin on Rannoch after saving the Galaxy from the Reapers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanos is basically TIM when u think about it

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I finished reading The Calling. I think that its smaller scope really improved it compared to The Stolen Throne. They were both approximately 400 pages long, but instead of covering years of material, it was just a single dungeon romp, so everything was more detailed.

Going to play Awakening next. Let’s see if The Calling changed my perception of it at all.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Smol posted:

I finished reading The Calling. I think that its smaller scope really improved it compared to The Stolen Throne. They were both approximately 400 pages long, but instead of covering years of material, it was just a single dungeon romp, so everything was more detailed.

Going to play Awakening next. Let’s see if The Calling changed my perception of it at all.

The architect parts were the best part of The Calling.

I'm reading Asunder now just because it has Cole in it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Smol posted:

I’m curious too if it changes your perception.

I haven’t read the book but from what I gathered through osmosis The Architect’s plan in The Calling is to spead the taint to all of Thedas and turn everyone into Ghouls or Grey Wardens to end be forever war between Darkspawn and Man.

Then in Dragon Age Awakening The Architect’s plan changes and he’s now using Grey Warden blood to give Darkspawn sapience. No mention of spreading the Taint if I recall

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Oh yeah now I remember why I hated Golems of Amgarrak.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

She said the bad thing, if you say the bad thing once there is no redemption, even if your personal experiences might cause you to say the bad thing and later exposure or conversation might cause you to change your mind. Judgement must be swift and final, with no re-evaluation ever not once.

She's too busy being dead for being a gigantic alien hating racist to rethink any positions.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Smol posted:

The trick to it is using the respec tome on the crazy dwarf warrior to turn him into a godlike tank instead of whatever his preset skills/classes are, assuming you imported your already-godlike PC from Awakenings. That won't exactly make it fun but it will make it easier.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smol posted:

Golems was explicitly made by Bioware to shut up the people who claimed even on the hardest settings DAO was too easy. It's meant to be a brutally hard dungeon romp, and the Keep never references it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

She's too busy being dead for being a gigantic alien hating racist to rethink any positions.

Except she wasn't ever racist, though. :colbert:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Except she wasn't ever racist, though. :colbert:
To be fair
On the one hand Ashley made a very good and strong point about whether it's a good idea to gamble on the Alliance's allies not being fair-weather friends. And by the way the Normandy is an Alliance military vessel: Did anyone vet that Krogan merc? Or check that Turian's last psych eval? I mean, he was kind of trigger happy for a cop and why is that Quarian hobo pulling our top secret stealth drive apart while making notes?
On the other hand Ashley also compared alien species to animals once or twice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Raygereio posted:

and why is that Quarian hobo pulling our top secret stealth drive apart while making notes?

ME3 never draws attention to it, but there is one point where the game reveals that the Quarians all of a sudden have Normandy-style stealth technology and goes "Hmmm, wonder how that happened..."

Though they could also have stolen it from the salarians, I suppose, who are also mentioned to have that tech in ME3.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cythereal posted:

Golems was explicitly made by Bioware to shut up the people who claimed even on the hardest settings DAO was too easy. It's meant to be a brutally hard dungeon romp, and the Keep never references it.

Its not referenced in the Keep because there's no real options to it, so it's more assumed that every Warden did it. They do make passing references to it and to the dwarven brothers from it in the sequels.

Not that I think it'll ever matter again, mind you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Raygereio posted:

On the other hand Ashley also compared alien species to animals once or twice.

I think that quote was actually a bug that was supposed to only trigger when she saw a Keeper? But it's still a lil problematic, Ash!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

precision posted:

Whoever you romanced in ME1 should have committed suicide out of grief before 2 happens.

e2: DON'T SAY PERSONA

If suicide attempts count, Final Fantasy VI?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

It didn't stick, but Cid and Yang in FFIV

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Torrannor posted:

I'm ashamed I didn't even think of that

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just started DA2 and noticed that according to the codex, Hawke also fought at Ostagar. For whatever reason I didn't know that!

Edit: Well, I guess I just never read the codex...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Smol posted:

Just started DA2 and noticed that according to the codex, Hawke also fought at Ostagar. For whatever reason I didn't know that!

Edit: Well, I guess I just never read the codex...

A non-mage Hawke and Carver both were at Ostagar. One Carver's first lines in the intro segment is him saying the two of them have been running from the Darkspawn since Ostagar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Raygereio posted:

A non-mage Hawke and Carver both were at Ostagar. One Carver's first lines in the intro segment is him saying the two of them have been running from the Darkspawn since Ostagar.

What do mage Hawke and Bethany get? I played mage and can't remember a thing

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

eating only apples posted:

What do mage Hawke and Bethany get? I played mage and can't remember a thing

nothing, they just hung out at Lothering waiting for Carver to come back

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HIJK posted:

nothing, they just hung out at Lothering waiting for Carver to come back

Aw bullshit, Bethany was probably cool :smith:

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

eating only apples posted:

Aw bullshit, Bethany was probably cool :smith:

Yeah, but Bethany and Mage Hawke had to hide, on account of being apostates. Ostagar, and all the other mages there would probably have made keeping their secret harder.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Man. I'm not sure what sort of build/party you're supposed to play to make the Ancient Rock Wraith a fun fight. It's always 15 minutes of kiting (on nightmare) for me. Perhaps I should be using the DLC weapons for elemental vulnerabilities or something.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 22, 2018

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Smol posted:

Man. I'm not sure what sort of build/party you're supposed to play to make the Ancient Rock Wraith a fun fight. It's always 15 minutes of kiting (on nightmare) for me. Perhaps I should be using the DLC weapons for elemental vulnerabilities or something.

It feels like a fairly standard MMO boss where you get a small window of time to get through a bunch of adds and burn down the boss, in between the kiting phases. So you want to maximize the amount of damage you can do in that window. Save all your damage cooldowns for the burn phase and stack a Haste spell, and you should be able to get through it fairly quickly; if you're really on top of things you can get it down quickly enough (30% per burn phase) to skip the kiting phase entirely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

It's vulnerable to spirit and cold damage iirc so use spells/weapons that do that.

Apart from that, I always fight it the same way: hit it a bunch until it starts its laser attack at which point I group everyone up and hit hold position next to the left pillar formation. It doesn't take me 15 minutes but I usually have a mage with elemental weapons and I use DLC weapons against it that do the appropriate damage type. Also copious amounts of potions just in case.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still like that fight best out of the non DLC stuff in DA2, because it's so different from the waves of trash mobs. It has PATTERNS! And your positioning actually matters!!

If it gets kinda damage spongy I can forgive that as a pretty common weakness of difficulty sliders in general.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah that rock thing is like one of the two memorable fights in DA2

(the other is if you fight the arishok)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

yeah that rock thing is like one of the two memorable fights in DA2

(the other is if you fight the arishok)

Mark of the Assassin has a fun boss fight that it took me a few tries to figure out. And knocking the Duke off the ledge is one of the more satisfying things you can do in this series.

The Corypheus fight on the other hand I found to be more tedious. Iirc there's no way to completely avoid the pillars of flame so you have to rely mostly on cooldowns/potions.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Mark of the Assassin has a fun boss fight that it took me a few tries to figure out. And knocking the Duke off the ledge is one of the more satisfying things you can do in this series.

Looks like the the Duke...

:c00lbert:

Has fallen from grace.

:razz:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I probably played the ARW fight way too conservatively by focusing on the adds when it fell down. But whatever, it's long gone by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Templar seems to be pretty bad in DA2. Most of the enemies that I'd like to use silence on are either immune to it or just resist it. lol what's the point

Edit: although I guess the 50% magic resist is nice