Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

I've a question, since Googling doesn't help - when and how is the decision about the Protagonist's robot made (in SRWV)? Does it tell you what you're choosing, allow to see what you get and back off? Can you save beforehand and just revert to the save after checking out the new robot? As far as I can tell, you choose either Real or Super version of it, but what are the differences? Is it a choice akin choosing between Angelg and Laz Angriff, or more like Armor + 500/Mobility + 100?

I ask becasue I think I'll play the game twice (for Platinum and challenges) and I'd like to choose different options, but how different they really are?

they're entirely different robots, and at one point your protagonist will be asked if they prefer speed(real) or power(super) and get the new robot in the following mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

deets posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty common sticking point in the JP versions too. If you check amazon reviews, game catalog or other places you'll often find mention of how hit-and-miss the nerd jokes can be sometimes.

See also: this page outlining every dumb pop-culture reference in Original Generations.

I should point out my favorite example of this. Schwarvenegger has a line in his battle dialogue that says: 「面白い奴だな!気に入った!」 This is literally "You're a funny guy! I like you!", as phrased in the Japanese dub of Commando. There's no way this was unintentional.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Yinlock posted:

they're entirely different robots, and at one point your protagonist will be asked if they prefer speed(real) or power(super) and get the new robot in the following mission

Oh, I see. Just tell me when this occurs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Szurumbur posted:

You get it on stage 34. IIRC you pick a stage or two beforehand but I cannot remember exactly when.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hokuto posted:

I should point out my favorite example of this. Schwarvenegger has a line in his battle dialogue that says: 「面白い奴だな!気に入った!」 This is literally "You're a funny guy! I like you!", as phrased in the Japanese dub of Commando. There's no way this was unintentional.

It's also worth noting that Ryuzaburo Otomo, who voiced him in this game, was also the Japanese dub voice of Schwarzenegger on The Terminator (1984).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hokuto posted:

Given that I am fairly certain that Commando is as meme-y in Japan as The Dark Knight Rises is over here, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love Japanese Commando memes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Szurumbur posted:

You get the upgrade on stage 34, but I can't remember when you make the choice, but its right at the start of a stage before you do any fighting so just keep a bunch of saves going and you'll be fine.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

You get the upgrade on stage 34, but I can't remember when you make the choice, but its right at the start of a stage before you do any fighting so just keep a bunch of saves going and you'll be fine.

Oh, I'll probably live with my decision, since I plan to play the game twice anyway, but I justed to know how far away this was. This is rather far into the game, doesn't it? Then again, the only other games in which you choose protagonists EDIT: I'd played EDIT were SWRA Portable, so maybe that one had an early choice.

Edit: those three words were rather important to the sentence and yet...

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 14, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Szurumbur posted:

Oh, I'll probably live with my decision, since I plan to play the game twice anyway, but I justed to know how far away this was. This is rather far into the game, doesn't it? Then again, the only other games in which you choose protagonists were SWRA Portable, so maybe that one had an early choice.

Uh...

F/FF? Alpha (any of them except Gaiden)? J? Original Generation (admittedly you'll get both anyway, eventually)? X? There are lots of SRW games where you choose protagonists.

I suppose it's true that you don't make robot decisions past game start in a lot of them.

Edit: vvvv It wasn't meant to be a complete list, but Z is another great example, yes

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Super Robot Z was Rand or Setsuko with very different playthroughs for most of the 1st half of the game

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Prism posted:

Uh...

F/FF? Alpha (any of them except Gaiden)? J? Original Generation (admittedly you'll get both anyway, eventually)? X? There are lots of SRW games where you choose protagonists.

I suppose it's true that you don't make robot decisions past game start in a lot of them.

Edit: vvvv It wasn't meant to be a complete list, but Z is another great example, yes

I've edited my post, I accidently some words

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Finally got my copy today.

Masaki's portrait seems...off. But I guess I'm so used to them reusing the same art for the past decade or so that anything different would be off.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Its taken straight from 2ndOGs/MD which makes him super emotive because he completely changes posture and stances a bunch compared to Iori who only changes his facial expression 99% of the time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Prism posted:

You get it on stage 34. IIRC you pick a stage or two beforehand but I cannot remember exactly when.

it happens immediately before the stage you get the upgrade starts

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Its taken straight from 2ndOGs/MD which makes him super emotive because he completely changes posture and stances a bunch compared to Iori who only changes his facial expression 99% of the time.

he's also super zoomed-in for whatever reason so it looks like masaki came from the giant dimension

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I've a question, since Googling doesn't help - when and how is the decision about the Protagonist's robot made (in SRWV)? Does it tell you what you're choosing, allow to see what you get and back off? Can you save beforehand and just revert to the save after checking out the new robot? As far as I can tell, you choose either Real or Super version of it, but what are the differences? Is it a choice akin choosing between Angelg and Laz Angriff, or more like Armor + 500/Mobility + 100?

I ask becasue I think I'll play the game twice (for Platinum and challenges) and I'd like to choose different options, but how different they really are?
They're completely different robots with different animations, attacks, stats, etc. It is made fairly late in the game, around 10 maps before the end. Nine asks you in dialogue if you prefer a robot built around speed or a robot built around power. Speed is Real, Power is Super. Since the game's main rival character is a speed demon, 'speed' is generally considered the canon option, since I believe there's like two extra lines about you finally outspeeding him if you pick Real.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

They're completely different robots with different animations, attacks, stats, etc. It is made fairly late in the game, around 10 maps before the end. Nine asks you in dialogue if you prefer a robot built around speed or a robot built around power. Speed is Real, Power is Super. Since the game's main rival character is a speed demon, 'speed' is generally considered the canon option, since I believe there's like two extra lines about you finally outspeeding him if you pick Real.

They're both real good though and the super robot dropkicks a ball of plasma as one of its attacks :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it wrong to compare the buddy complex upgraded combination attack to the RHB and find it terribly lacking?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Speed upgrade feels like an upgrade to the VangRay while the Power upgrade basically feels like they gave you a random super robot instead. It's not bad but one is absolutely more thematically appropriate.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Personally, Chitose's reasoning for Power essentially being "I'm not really a great pilot, but I do want to punch something really hard and OHKO things" made it worth it for me.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 15, 2018

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My copy of X arrived today...but the postal carrier was too lazy to actually knock so I have to go get it from the post office after work tomorrow.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it wrong to compare the buddy complex upgraded combination attack to the RHB and find it terribly lacking?

Personally to me pretty much all animations in the current engine don’t look half as good as the PS3/4 only games, with exception of maybe Mazinkaisers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RoyalScion posted:

Personally to me pretty much all animations in the current engine don’t look half as good as the PS3/4 only games, with exception of maybe Mazinkaisers.

They did some good work with Eva unit 01 in V imo, especially the Awakened attacks.

Also a big fan of the v-Gundam, the Arbalest, Valguard, Black Getter, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Great/Emperor/Mazinger Zero.

There are also a lot of weird and bad ones though. Like all the Wing boys, .

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 15, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MechaX posted:

Personally, Chitose's reasoning for Power essentially being "I'm not really a great pilot, but I do want to punch something really hard and OHKO things" made it worth it for me.

in a rare role reversal, the super robot fits chitose better while soji's a better fit for the real one

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RoyalScion posted:

Not only that but I was playing Z2-1 again yesterday for the hell of it and I still think that looks better too. I’ve thought so from the first time I saw Z3-1.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'll go ahead and post this here too.

The official SRW Twitter account posted an announcement that the JP version of SRW X got a 1.02 version update with some bugfixes.

I did a quick translation of the patch notes here.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thanks again Hokuto! No mention of the Wataru delevelling bug though, dang.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

Hoping we can save Ghuli in his OG appaearances, so he can Gottagofast with Ibis.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh man, the stage where you recruit Char.

Char goes 'I have to shoot down Kamille to clear myself of my own doubts.'

And Amuro is all 'Look me in the loving eye and say that again, Char.'

And of course Char just shuts the hell up after that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hoping we can save Ghuli in his OG appaearances, so he can Gottagofast with Ibis.
honestly yeah, i liked ghuli okay for how nothing of an antagonist he was, and his mech was neat even if it got downgraded to a grunt suit later

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yep. Ghuli seemed like a cool dude who just happened to be on the wrong side.

That's basically half of the secrets in a mainline game anyway, so why not?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I'll go ahead and post this here too.

The official SRW Twitter account posted an announcement that the JP version of SRW X got a 1.02 version update with some bugfixes.

I did a quick translation of the patch notes here.

Oh, so the Gaitrash thing was a bug. I was really confused when it seemed like it was pilot locked and then wasn't.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Am I crazy or did some of the names get changed after the patch?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I haven't played since the patch, what have you noticed?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zore posted:

I haven't played since the patch, what have you noticed?

I could have sworn it was shou instead of show and cham instead of chum.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
in all the DLC its Show and Chum because that was a different team or something.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

in all the DLC its Show and Chum because that was a different team or something.

I mean, we did the DLC, dialogue-wise. The names were changed from what we used in the final product, and then changed to something else in the DLC for some reason. Now the main game just got reconciled to match the DLC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Oh man, the stage where you recruit Char.

Char goes 'I have to shoot down Kamille to clear myself of my own doubts.'

And Amuro is all 'Look me in the loving eye and say that again, Char.'

And of course Char just shuts the hell up after that.

it's super good

amuro: hey char remember that time i killed lalah, spoiler alert: killing someone you care about loving sucks and does not make you tougher at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also finished my second playthrough, amari's story is real bad but her 2nd theme rules, which is a reversal from the usual where the girls have better stories and the boys have better theme songs

• Locked thread