Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

tfw your company goes from a very, very long retention policy for email to suddenly making it so short that I, a virile manly man, would have trouble growing a proper full beard in that time, and wants it enforced veeerrrry quickly....

GDPR or executive malfeasance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlternateAccount posted:

tfw your company goes from a very, very long retention policy for email to suddenly making it so short that I, a virile manly man, would have trouble growing a proper full beard in that time, and wants it enforced veeerrrry quickly....

Someone at the top smells an incoming lawsuit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jaded Burnout posted:

GDPR or executive malfeasance?

We have no EU presence, but the latter doesn't feel terribly unlikely.

ConfusedUs posted:

Someone at the top smells an incoming lawsuit.

I assume so. So now the question is get the popcorn and enjoy the show? Or :yotj: :yotj: :yotj:. I am already planning to start heavily looking later in the year, but...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateAccount posted:

We have no EU presence, but the latter doesn't feel terribly unlikely.

I assume so. So now the question is get the popcorn and enjoy the show? Or :yotj: :yotj: :yotj:. I am already planning to start heavily looking later in the year, but...

I fully admit I'm not a legal professional in any sense, but it's probably best not to make those emails Go Away. Or at least not be the one to do it if/when whatever they're afraid of actually goes to court.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I fully admit I'm not a legal professional in any sense, but it's probably best not to make those emails Go Away. Or at least not be the one to do it if/when whatever they're afraid of actually goes to court.

Thankfully this will not be me. Interestingly, our Exchange admin who will certainly be tasked with this, spent many years working for law firms before this place. I'd love to hear his reaction...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

Thankfully this will not be me. Interestingly, our Exchange admin who will certainly be tasked with this, spent many years working for law firms before this place. I'd love to hear his reaction...

"Put it in writing."

I'm not a lawyer but if the lawyer tells me to do a thing, I'm not gonna argue with them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Actually this is a subject of interest for me. If I ever do get asked to do something like that and it is because my boss is trying to hide poo poo, am I an accomplice in that scenario or am i just worker drone doing his job?

I've never had it come up and I hope it never does, but just in case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't see how being asked by a superior to change the retention policy of email and then doing it could cause you any grief. Assuming you aren't a director or were covering for a crime.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Legally I got no loving clue, but administratively you'll be the first scapegoat when the issue becomes public.

"See we fired this horrible human that did this thing! Company's reputation is saved!"

So keep a paper trail as they'll probably fire you for not doing what they asked as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

dogstile posted:

Actually this is a subject of interest for me. If I ever do get asked to do something like that and it is because my boss is trying to hide poo poo, am I an accomplice in that scenario or am i just worker drone doing his job?

I've never had it come up and I hope it never does, but just in case.

It depends on the context. At the very least, it could become a case where your boss sacrifices you and says you acted without authrorization. This absolutely happens.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't see how being asked by a superior to change the retention policy of email and then doing it could cause you any grief. Assuming you aren't a director or were covering for a crime.

Because what if you can't prove you were asked? Thankfully, our new policy at least seems to be written out and will not be done in whispers. Still, not remotely a good look to have such an aggressive purge given the recent history of this company, and there are a LOT of people out there with 20GB mailboxes who are going to poop their drawers.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
IANAL but I would think that as long as you have written orders from higher up and no reason to believe that implementing the retention policy would violate any law or legal discovery process you would be in the clear.

If you do have knowledge of ongoing (or pending) legal discovery efforts and/or data retention laws that would be violated it's a whole different situation, and I would contact my own lawyer before proceeding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah CYA all the time, that almost goes without saying

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Pissing me off: Azure Things

I'm looking for some resources on Azure subscription management. I've started diving into Management Groups, but it's still in preview and it looks like it is set towards managing polices under subscriptions, not access to subscriptions themselves.

Specifically, what is the best way to go about handling subscriptions for a team of users? Ideally there would be way to setup a central subscription under our directory and assign access out from there, but all I am seeing is users adding subscriptions under their own accounts, and setting permissions from there, which doesn't seem great for maintaining visibility of what's out there. Why have 10 users with 10 subscriptions all tied to the same department credit card?

We're still venturing out into cloud development, so maybe I'm just thinking about this the wrong way, but I'd appreciate any guidance on this.

We use one subscription and control access by resource group. I don't know how well that would scale, since we're a pretty small team but it works for us.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jesus. Could you set up a VM for the owner that he could organize to his heart's content and nothing he did would affect production? Like a movie set or something?

Potemkin Network

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Fool posted:

We use one subscription and control access by resource group. I don't know how well that would scale, since we're a pretty small team but it works for us.

Yeah I've read that as a way of doing it, but my problem is that this sub is ultimately owned by one account, be it mine or another admin. I'm looking into an establishing an EA, as that is seeming to be the solution to this problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh, clueless 'web developers'...

:swooon:

We're having a new company website made. Actually, they're basically done and want us to start hosting it.

"Hey Bob, where is your current site hosted?"

lol it's a a loving closet here in our office. Let's host the new site...at an actual host

"Sure bob no problem who were you thinking?"

Anywhere but EIG lol

"Hey did you guys get a host yet?"

Not yet. What kind of disk space do we need, what do you guys need installed, and what kind of passwords/access do you need?

"Maybe we should just have a phone call about it"

Sure thing dude

"Where you thinking of hosting it?"

I was thinking of a Linode or something like that

"Hrm...I'm not sure you need a VPS. Shared hosting is great and only $15/20"

Uhh Linode is $10/month but okay

"Hey guy let me just send you a list of some hosting providers *I* recommend :smug:"

Sure I'll wait for your email

quote:

Hosting recommendations:

Preferred - https://www.a2hosting.com/web-hosting TURBO plan

Also - https://www.bluehost.com/products/shared - Prime plan

These plans will give us the desired environment, access, and performance.

Please just select, sign up, and then forward to us the welcome emails you receive along with the login credentials for the hosting account.

Thanks!
:imunfunny:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

why would you ever not host on AWS?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would you turn down a host that is up to TWENTY TIMES FASTER than everyone else??

And what's up with the oddly specific $9.31 rate. Does it change based on currency exchanges or oil futures or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Website hosting is the problem of whoever we get to do the design and ongoing management of the site, gently caress getting involved with that. I'll point DNS to the right place and let you get on with things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Website hosting is the problem of whoever we get to do the design and ongoing management of the site, gently caress getting involved with that. I'll point DNS to the right place and let you get on with things.

With our current contractor, hosting is built into the maintenance fees, and no you don't get a discount for hosting it yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I imagine that web developers would much rather just host the thing themselves on a provider that is a known quantity as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

Why would you turn down a host that is up to TWENTY TIMES FASTER than everyone else??

And what's up with the oddly specific $9.31 rate. Does it change based on currency exchanges or oil futures or something?

You can buy EVEN FASTER hosting for $3.00
PRIORITY SUPPORT is another $9

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I imagine that web developers would much rather just host the thing themselves on a provider that is a known quantity as well.

It is odd they don't have a reseller account so they can make like $1.50/month, or even a referral link.

They're gonna get a A2Hosting account so that if it runs like poo poo they can't point fingers. Then I'll save the day by moving the site to Digital Ocean or something.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

You can buy EVEN FASTER hosting for $3.00
PRIORITY SUPPORT is another $9
What a steal!

quote:

From a user perspective, A2 Hosting's Turbo Web Hosting servers behave almost identically to our Swift Web Hosting servers. There are, however, a few differences that impact web developers:
  • Turbo Web Hosting servers compile .htaccess files to make speed improvements. Any changes to .htaccess files are immediately re-compiled.
  • Turbo Web Hosting servers have their own PHP API that provides speed improvements over FastCGI and PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager).
  • To serve static files, Turbo Web Hosting servers do not need to create a worker process as the user. Servers only create a worker process for PHP scripts, which results in faster performance.
  • APC (Alternative PHP Cache) is enabled by default. Accounts are allocated 16 MB of APC memory.
  • Turbo Web Hosting servers have a built-in caching engine; however, caching is disabled by default. To enable caching, you must use an .htaccess file. For information about how to do this, please see this article.
  • PHP configuration settings are changed using cPanel instead of php.ini files. You can also change the PHP version using cPanel. For information about how to do this, please see this article.
  • Turbo Web Hosting servers do not support Ruby-based or Python-based web applications, including Rails and Django.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Noope. As a web developer my goal is to build something, make sure they're happy with it, and never hear from them again until they want to do more work on it. I avoid being involved in the hosting as a high priority.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Noope. As a web developer my goal is to build something, make sure they're happy with it, and never hear from them again until they want to do more work on it. I avoid being involved in the hosting as a high priority.

You're missing out on those sweet residuals from annual maintenance contracts

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PremiumSupport posted:

IANAL but I would think that as long as you have written orders from higher up and no reason to believe that implementing the retention policy would violate any law or legal discovery process you would be in the clear.

If you do have knowledge of ongoing (or pending) legal discovery efforts and/or data retention laws that would be violated it's a whole different situation, and I would contact my own lawyer before proceeding.

Pretty much this, if a normal 3rd party would agree that knowing about pending litigation isn't part of your job duties, because you aren't a director level employee, and you were following written instructions from your boss or boss' boss, then you're more or less 100% in the clear.

If you know bad poo poo is coming, and conspire with your boss to hide poo poo knowing full well that it'll be Exhibit A after discovery is done, then you're in deep deep poo poo, as you're the lowest man on the totem pole when it's time to draw bus straws.

It basically all comes down to how the email chain looks to a 3rd party observer. You....did get all that in writing....didn't you?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

Confirmation that nobody wants to have to look after the hosting then I guess. Fair enough if you want to do work and then move on but if I wanted a site for a business I'd want to just pay an amount each month to know that PHP and WordPress or whatever are patched and any changes that third-parties make to their APIs are being done without having to procure multiple projects each year to handle that sort of stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Web content is admin poison, no one wants to take care of it because it will ruin their life.

We have an in-house central hosting solution and the admins will help assign storage and provide enough admin rights to configure web pages. Once that's done they are 100% hands off, never want to talk to you again. So you get these departments that spent a good chunk of their budget to buy a glamorous looking web page from a developer, toss it up on a vps that only gets security updates, and are on the hook for all of it.

Generally it works okay, until there's a performance problem. Then it's two weeks of finger pointing to determine who has to fix things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

You're missing out on those sweet residuals from annual maintenance contracts

If I was running a company where an employee was having to monitor it and deal with any problems from the customers I would do it, but when it's just me it just isn't worth the money.

An entire year of hosting doesn't really pull more revenue than an hour of my time.

Thanks Ants posted:

Confirmation that nobody wants to have to look after the hosting then I guess. Fair enough if you want to do work and then move on but if I wanted a site for a business I'd want to just pay an amount each month to know that PHP and WordPress or whatever are patched and any changes that third-parties make to their APIs are being done without having to procure multiple projects each year to handle that sort of stuff.

Agreed, and for that I'd go to a company that focuses on hosting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Web content is admin poison, no one wants to take care of it because it will ruin their life.

We have an in-house central hosting solution and the admins will help assign storage and provide enough admin rights to configure web pages. Once that's done they are 100% hands off, never want to talk to you again. So you get these departments that spent a good chunk of their budget to buy a glamorous looking web page from a developer, toss it up on a vps that only gets security updates, and are on the hook for all of it.

Generally it works okay, until there's a performance problem. Then it's two weeks of finger pointing to determine who has to fix things.

Yeah. I think I'd be up for running a company that just did hosting, there's a sort of chill thought to keeping a bunch of machines shiny and humming, but I don't think the market is there for the sort of knowledgeable support that Thants is talking about.

My experience has either been tupp'ny fucks who think hosting should be free, or corporate giants who'll spend however much money if you jerk them off right in the sales meeting.

Neither of these types actually care about the hosting, they just want to give you money and for everything to be perfect forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess there's probably a line on which one side is "use Squarespace" and on the other is "you're an e-commerce company, inhouse all the skills you need" other than maybe branding consultants or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's my point, even in house no one wants to deal with that poo poo. Not even the admins of the servers with the content.

It's amazing the internet works at all.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oh boy, website stuff. We’re currently preparing to roll out a new public-facing site that’s integrated with our BlackBaud LMS, to replace our incredibly lovely-looking old sites (one for general school stuff, one for the athletics program) that are currently handled by two different hosts. My boss and I are handling the technical side of the rollout while the PR head and athletics director handle the content. It was looking like it was going to be pretty smooth sailing, except that over the past two weeks, both the athletics director and PR head turned in their resignations and will be gone at the end of the month. No replacement has been selected for the athletic director and no job listing has been posted for the PR head. The director of operations (my boss’ boss) has decreed that the rollout will proceed as scheduled. I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Our client decided to go with a new web site, didn't say anything about it until the site was up and going, the company they picked created it and has a host they use. The client utilizes O365, after trying to get email from the site working for an hour or two, I gave up and had client escalate to their vendor, they escalated to the actual hosting company. They only support sending email to gmail, wtfuck, glad it's not my problem.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How hard is it to set an mx record? Jesus gently caress.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

How hard is it to set an mx record? Jesus gently caress.
I think "email from the site" means a contact form on the website.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Using SES is hard

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I do web hosting and it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

anthonypants posted:

I think "email from the site" means a contact form on the website.

Yeah sorry, was cooking dinner while poo poo posting, it's contact form 7 or whatever for WP. They only allow 25 and 587 outbound to gmail so yay, obviously if someone knows a way around this to get O365 to work directly, I'm all ears, but as best as I can guess they are stuck sending to a non-corporate gmail and having that forward to whatever account in O365.