Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

hawowanlawow posted:

I can see the 3x reticle just fine. The VSS reticle, on the other hand...

What?? The VSS is perfect and the 3x is hot garbage.

Also the VSS is actually viable on the Vietnam map with the magazine change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm very bad so I usually avoid sniping, but I decided to work on using the SKS in a recent game. Why did I keep missing this person before I switched to vector and mowed him down? It looks like multiple shots with the dot right on him to me.

https://streamable.com/pxd2f

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Mash posted:

What?? The VSS is perfect and the 3x is hot garbage.

Also the VSS is actually viable on the Vietnam map with the magazine change

I like the VSS, but the lines on the reticle are too thin to see if you sit more than 3 feet from the screen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm very bad so I usually avoid sniping, but I decided to work on using the SKS in a recent game. Why did I keep missing this person before I switched to vector and mowed him down? It looks like multiple shots with the dot right on him to me.

You missed about half outright, and another third you can chock up to lag compensation while the guy was moving. You planted one or two mid/groin section shots that might have connected into a pan.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You don't really need all the lines on the VSS unless you're trying to 1tap someone for some reason. The correct VSS method is full auto and just aim the bullet spray. It's surprisingly controllable, and .75 seconds later the guy you're shooting at has 20 9mm bullets raining down on him.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thermopyle posted:

To be honest, you just missed a lot of those. They were close, but you were definitely missing. Aim a little higher instead of the nuts :D

Nice win though!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The M16 is trash right now. It basically turned into what the AK used to be imo. The worst AR.

Since no one cares about Burst, the M16 was only not "trash" when it was comparable to a DMR/Sniper and when that was the case it put the Mini-14 in an awkward spot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I just watched a Shroud replay and he spent the first five minutes complaining about.... glass? Threatening to quit if they didn't get rid of it? His main reasoning was performance and since sound plays an important role in this game he suggested the sound of glass breaking can be replaced by making the sound of vaulting as loud as glass breaking.

Idk I thought that was interesting.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Every character does Planet Fitness grunts audible from 300m when vaulting

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ice Fist posted:

I just watched a Shroud replay and he spent the first five minutes complaining about.... glass? Threatening to quit if they didn't get rid of it? His main reasoning was performance and since sound plays an important role in this game he suggested the sound of glass breaking can be replaced by making the sound of vaulting as loud as glass breaking.

Our characters would have to scream from the top of our lungs to mimic the effect of glass breaking in this game. :v:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Streamer / pro in dumb comments non-shocker, more at 10.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thom P. Tiers posted:

To be honest, you just missed a lot of those. They were close, but you were definitely missing. Aim a little higher instead of the nuts :D

Nice win though!

Yeah, I watched it again after these comments and I guess you guys are right. In the heat of the moment it felt like I was landing those shots.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Taking everything from a crate and then camping it for free kills is extremely my poo poo.

Also the more I play the more I think I’m handicapped by my keymap:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads
left/right mouse = forward/back

It seems like there’s a bigger penalty than in a lot of other FPS to not being able to toggle ADS or aim on the fly extremely quickly. I’d relearn the default bindings but I’ve been playing FPS’s this way since my dickhead friend showed me Quake and had his setup bound like this. So I guess I have keybinding herpes. But it’s been 20 years so gently caress if I’m changing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Taking everything from a crate and then camping it for free kills is extremely my poo poo.

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads

It seems like there’s a bigger penalty than in a lot of other FPS to not being able to toggle ADS or aim on the fly extremely quickly. I’d relearn the default bindings but I’ve been playing FPS’s this way since my dickhead friend showed me Quake and had his setup bound like this. So I guess I have keybinding herpes. But it’s been 20 years so gently caress if I’m changing.

what the gently caress

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dangerllama posted:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads

the gently caress did you do that for

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Okay jesus I thought i was a freak because I use Q and E to move Left/Right instead of the normal A/D, (which I use to lean)

but uhhhhhh yeah, nice keybinds.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dangerllama posted:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads

I don’t want to live anymore...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

the gently caress did you do that for

My FPS CV predates mouselook.

I peaked at Mega TF. It’s been all downhill from there.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 17, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yeah mine too but I've also existed for the last twenty years

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Welcome to pre-wasd control schemes, kiddos. Before online quake and HL kinda standardized a few things, there were all sorts of nutso keybindings like this.

I'm honestly impressed that you stuck with it for so long. I had some weird setups too, but at some point I got tired of changing 95% of the keys for every game I played. Now I only do that for games like pubg :v:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
im kinda impressed that pubg is the game that made you realise and not 20 years of having to change every games control scheme

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dangerllama posted:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads

Why in the name of all that is holy would you do that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lmao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Thermopyle posted:

Some of these are mental, you definitely miss when he's moving but there's two or three shots when he's stationary that make no sense to me.

On another note; 3 squad wins back to back last night baby

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

abigserve posted:

On another note; 3 squad wins back to back last night baby

We did this the other night... it was worth like 15 rating.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

How many "fun" units was the gameplay experience worth?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Dangerllama posted:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads

I’m gonna be sick.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

Each one was like 13+ for us, probably because we started the season so poorly.

The second game we won, we lost two of our squad in the first 5 minutes then duo'd it to victory. 5 k98 headshots to finish it off :cool: The third, my squadmate pulls it out after I die and wipes the last 3-man squad solo.

It's dope being in a squad where you can rely on the boys to pick up the slack if you're playing like poo poo and vice versa

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember playing Descent with the default keys.

A was forward and Z was reverse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I had a pretty funny encounter on the new map. I downed a guy right as he made it across and open field and into a hut. Highlights didn't record his friend crossing to save him and getting hit once. I figured they were reviving and healing, so gently caress it, I jumped right in the window. Judging by their reaction, they weren't expecting it. I laughed and whiffed a bunch of shots as I sloppily massacred them with the AK. Yeah, it's TPP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSr6jkrjM1I

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Appoda posted:

Welcome to pre-wasd control schemes, kiddos. Before online quake and HL kinda standardized a few things, there were all sorts of nutso keybindings like this.

I'm honestly impressed that you stuck with it for so long. I had some weird setups too, but at some point I got tired of changing 95% of the keys for every game I played. Now I only do that for games like pubg :v:

Yeah when my friends and I started playing games back in the doom/quake days jump was always right mouse. So for me, it still is. I didn't realize that was weird to some people until I was in discord with some friends and it came up somehow. I'm pretty sure I've seen it as the secondary binding after the space bar in a lot of games, though.

Also when I started back then I used ESDF instead of WASD (I don't do that anymore though)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TBQH my only real complaint is that forward/back still work in menus (this is true in Rust too), so when I'm right clicking or dragging and dropping items between my load-out, it makes me walk all over the place. Annoying.

OK three matches with default keys:

Match 1: Murdered after two seconds.
Match 2: I discover a habit I apparently have of backing up and strafing at the same time I start shooting. This now results in me aiming down a 4x scope 3' from another player while getting blasted with a shotgun.
Match 3: 2 kills before being murdered while looting dead guy #2's corpse.

Progress :shrug:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 17, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ice Fist posted:

You dont watch Shroud for his brains

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gently caress two 6 GB patches in one evening

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i love how desert map still has poo poo floating all over the place sinc ethe building change

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lmao at that doom era keybinds

i remember resisting moving from arrow keys to wasd but that was *checks calendar* 20 years ago

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i love how desert map still has poo poo floating all over the place sinc ethe building change

Shroud and chocoTaco ran into a pitchfork earlier today. They crashed into it with their vehicle while it was just floating in midair. PUBG is a quality program.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

a real chump posted:

lmao at that doom era keybinds

i remember resisting moving from arrow keys to wasd but that was *checks calendar* 20 years ago

Oh god, I remember doing that too. I feel so old (again).

For content; is doing ADS worth it? Just going ironsights/red dot/holo each time gives better stability, right?

(Obviously doesn't apply to when you have a scope on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
You haven't lived before you play an FPS with a trackball.
I knew someone who played Quake and had forward bound to left mouse button and backward to right mouse button.
Having said that I probably stopped using retarded keybindings when half life was released or something. I'm glad to see there are other olds playing Pubg tho.