Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

DarkstarIV posted:

Japan is a very insular country when it comes to other cultures. While some stuff comes over like music, you won't see stuff like movies or tv shows make it over often.

I'm not sure about this, there are loads of American TV shows at Tsutaya and often American film is broadcast on television. They love Marvel and Harry Potter just as much as the rest of the world, and they love Disney maybe even more than America does. That said, your point stands about most non-American foreign culture.

About weed though, there's history tied to hemp but it wasn't until the American occupation that everything taima-related became forbidden. But Japanese paranoia about drugs is kind of across the board, and celebrities who are caught taking them are regularly shamed. Except Paul McCartney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I remember looking up the guy who played Tanemura in Yakuza 4 and discovered he retired from acting because he was accused of using cocaine.

Imagine an American actor retiring from acting all together for being just accused of doing coke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was apparently a thing with Io too. She spoke publicly to say she wasn’t retiring, because people assumed that she would after that.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

That was apparently a thing with Io too. She spoke publicly to say she wasn’t retiring, because people assumed that she would after that.

Yeah, Io's career has made a pretty miraculous rebound from that incident. She's now probably the most famous full time joshi in Japan nowadays. While I'm sure there are some idols who do joshi who are more famous, Io is probably the best example of a mainstream Japanese female wrestler. She regularly does interviews on Samurai TV and has appeared on some major primetime TV show once, where she impressed everyone with her in ring ability.

Then again, she's also felt jaded lately as well and wants to challenge herself, which is probably one of the reasons why she wants to jump ship to WWE. She makes a ton of money right now as it is through gifts, STARDOM pay, and her merchandise. From what I've heard, her newest photobook had a $75 pricetag attached to it, and it still sold like hotcakes. She did admit that it was something she most likely wouldn't do again though, since she isn't comfortable doing gravure photoshoots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has Japan heard of Patreon yet?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Auritech posted:

About weed though, there's history tied to hemp but it wasn't until the American occupation that everything taima-related became forbidden. But Japanese paranoia about drugs is kind of across the board, and celebrities who are caught taking them are regularly shamed. Except Paul McCartney.
Huh I always thought it was Japan looking what the British Empire did to China with the Opium Wars and going "gently caress that poo poo"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

I know this is probably a joke post, but Japan is sorta behind the times when it comes to stuff like that. Most people in Japan only seem to own a laptop at best. They are more mobile oriented due to space constraints. So as you can imagine, they prefer physical stuff compared to digital. That being said, there are people in Japan who do own desktops and stuff, but its a pretty small number.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh I always thought it was Japan looking what the British Empire did to China with the Opium Wars and going "gently caress that poo poo"

It probably had as much to do with American companies wanting to destroy the industrial hemp sector moreso than reefer madness but yeah, Japanese didn't think too much about it until it got banned.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Here's an article on the Ayako Hamada situation. Can anyone with a better grip of Japanese than Google give the gist of this?

https://miruhon.net/97571

It sounds like she told Sendai Girls she was attacked by four men with a knife and they told the police leading to her having a urine sample taken where they found the drugs?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I remember years ago ia handful of japanese game devs on kickstart were skeptical of it being a thing when doing interviews about their games getting funded on it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

Here's an article on the Ayako Hamada situation. Can anyone with a better grip of Japanese than Google give the gist of this?

https://miruhon.net/97571

It sounds like she told Sendai Girls she was attacked by four men with a knife and they told the police leading to her having a urine sample taken where they found the drugs?

Yeah, looks like that's pretty much how it played out. Wild. They just go over that in the opening paragraph and the rest of the article is giving background on who she is, her wrestling history and family, how nobody figured her for the type to use drugs, etc. The weirdest thing is this bit towards the end, after describing how she's become known as the "world-famous Ayako Hamada" due to being well-regarded in Japan, Mexico and the US:

quote:

Perhaps, as she watched from afar as her old rival Kana bathed in the WWE spotlight, every mention of the 'world-famous Ayako Hamada' became just another link in the chain she wound around herself.

which just seems like some weirdo editorializing to me; there's not, like, any quotes or anything about that.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 16, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Weird. Can't figure out why the police would take a urine sample from a complainant. And yeah, that last bit sounds like a weird amateurish attempt to create a narrative about her turning to drugs because she was jealous of Asuka/Kana.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

My wife speculates that the police probably suspected her based on her behavior while being interviewed.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
He lived in Japan for a decent spell so I trust him to know:

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/996479578087612417

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are prescription drugs even in the US.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/996734328481579008

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey Rovert, any truth to Impact looking at bringing Xia Brookside in? Apparently she's following the Impact account now along with Callis and a few other people.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Hey Rovert, any truth to Impact looking at bringing Xia Brookside in? Apparently she's following the Impact account now along with Callis and a few other people.

I don't think so. She follows Amato and Stock equally.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, if you have interest in furthering your career it's probably a good idea to follow Triple H, Callis, Delirious and anyone else who has a major role in booking or hiring talent for the more notable promotions. Tweet a few 'attaboys' at them and they may follow you back, and boom, then they might see those highlight videos or gifs you post of your matches and keep you in mind when they're looking for someone new to come in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, if you have interest in furthering your career it's probably a good idea to follow Triple H, Callis, Delirious and anyone else who has a major role in booking or hiring talent for the more notable promotions. Tweet a few 'attaboys' at them and they may follow you back, and boom, then they might see those highlight videos or gifs you post of your matches and keep you in mind when they're looking for someone new to come in.

I'm sure HHH's social media assistant really reads all those mentions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Again being at that show I can say this episode will be pretty good, especially the main event which I thought was great. Crowd is going to be weird (I'm the guy in the LIJ shirt that kind of stares around and doesn't chant, but claps with the crowd until I realized "poo poo my fitbit is recording these as steps") in that when its quiet, it's QUIET. Honestly it was like the stereotypical NJPW crowd where its quiet for the grappling and then everyone claps when they get back up to face off.

Also Xia's theme is stuck in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQCGb3DpBaM

Man I really should have talked to the wrestlers at that show even though I had no cash to buy merch (what also sucked was there was no wifi at all since we were in White Oak PA instead of actually Pittsburgh PA)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

does anyone know that club banger Sumire Natsu is using as her theme? I asked her on twitter but I think my misuse of japanese honorifics might have insulted or confused her.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

does anyone know that club banger Sumire Natsu is using as her theme? I asked her on twitter but I think my misuse of japanese honorifics might have insulted or confused her.

Mr Saxobeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS76eS34Y0c

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lmao I coulda sworn this was an older song because of the Sax sample. Turns out this was a heavily featured track on one of those dancing VR games.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DarkstarIV posted:

Xia got super jacked, so that only means good things.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/997003388796600322

Glad it's taking off. Main event is Reika & Marika vs. Ito Respect Army. I think the DDT show the next day is free if you watch it live.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

More wrestlers should be using 90s euro rave tracks, especially Dune ones.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Deonna Purrazzo was originally on the Stardom Gold Star 2018 card but she's apparently not going to make it to Japan in time for the match, so I guess they're looking for a replacement.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I assume this is Xia:

https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status/996855953730437120

It is ROH's UK tour

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey WWE, get rid of Bobby Lashley and just put Hana in his place. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/996969596673511425

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've been having some problems with Stardom World since the month started. My credit card expired and so my account was put on hold. I logged in to change the credit card info, and the site would go to a "whoops, things aren't working" page whenever I tried. Eventually I just 'withdrew' (cancel?) my account, and then tried to sign up again. But now I can't sign up for another account. Not even using a different e-mail address. It asks me to do the authentication process where I sign in with the password I use, but it never accepts the password. I tweeted at their English twitter in hopes they can get me in touch with tech support. Anyone having or have had a similar issue?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Hey WWE, get rid of Bobby Lashley and just put Hana in his place. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/996969596673511425

was this match pretty good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Those are prescription drugs even in the US.

and if you have a prescription in the US, and you go to Japan with it, they do not give one solitary gently caress that a US doctor prescribed it to you and will throw you in jail regardless (from what I am aware)

like, that's what the tweet's saying: it's not prescription-only in Japan, it's illegal, period, and from what I gather prescriptions don't have full faith and credit across countries (even if that can save you state-to-state within the US if a similar situation came up)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
boy the US really warped Japan's psyche during the Occupation didn't they

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't know a lot about actual Japanese history but if you look at their media, you get the impression that Japan didn't exist until Post War. There was a Japan that was before that, but it was all samurais and poo poo. I'm not sure if that was a US influence thing or efforts by movie and TV types to keep things chill.

I might be missing a lot because I mostly watch wrestling, action shows and the odd drama if the premise strikes me.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Super No Vacancy posted:

was this match pretty good

It was okay. Not bad, not great either. It was a thing in other words. Konami does seem to be coming into her own though as part of Queen's Quest. You can see some parts of Asuka starting to show up in her moveset more often.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

word

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Low Desert Punk posted:

It actually goes way before that to when the US pried open Japan in 1853. Commodore Matthew Perry is actually a huge, important historical figure here whereas in America your instant response is “the guy from Friends?” But the occupation doubled down on it.

In Lady Wrasslin News I think the simple reason why Deonna Purrazzo won’t make it to next week’s show is that her paperwork hasn’t come in on time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nope, Chadonnay. She's tagging with Klein against Tenille and Sumie on the Edinburgh show, and probably on the other two as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Are you guys sure it's not going to be an actual name Stardom talent? Because I know you got to build hype and stuff but saying you're "very excited" and have it be Xia or Chardonnay seems like you're setting people up to expect Io or Mayu (realistically Io is the only name most people will really know though) and then disappointing them.

ROH is in the habit of disappointing though I guess.