Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Meanwhile, my kid requires an expensive as gently caress prescription formula that my insurance covers 100%. When the doctor found out we were covered entirely he said “I’ll just keep renewing the prescription as long as they keep paying for it. Even if you don’t need the formula, you can flip it on eBay super easily.”

:stare:

Wanna get an oxy scrip from that doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wanna get an oxy scrip from that doctor.

The baby formula probably sells for more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I do plan on keeping a stockpile of it because he needs it right now to live but eventually I plan to find a needy parent who doesn’t have magical health insurance who needs it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

That's the plan. I'm sure the food bank can find a use for it. It's really a lot of formula.

keep some in case her milk runs out. half and half is better than straight formula

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

boner confessor posted:

keep some in case her milk runs out. half and half is better than straight formula

We did a full year last time. Fenugreek solves the supply dip problem pretty well. Also pumps are an insurance must pay for thing. But some states make getting them a a real pain in the rear end.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 17, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Meanwhile, my kid requires an expensive as gently caress prescription formula that my insurance covers 100%. When the doctor found out we were covered entirely he said “I’ll just keep renewing the prescription as long as they keep paying for it. Even if you don’t need the formula, you can flip it on eBay super easily.”

:stare:

docs looking out for you he knows the insurance is a scam

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah but it’s a hosed up side effect of monetizing the well being of human beings.

E: also it smells kinda like insurance fraud

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

paragon1 posted:

Calling what you're describing sweet tea is like saying French toast is from France.

Anything that can be more properly called by the name is much closer to

You just add the sugar right after it's done brewing.

Y'all hilariously mad about something you don't even drink.

Never been to Texas, have you?

The recipe for sweet tea there starts with making simple syrup, then steeping tea bags in it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah but it’s a hosed up side effect of monetizing the well being of human beings.

E: also it smells kinda like insurance fraud

It's textbook insurance fraud.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

It's textbook insurance fraud.

And, ironically, it all goes into the data set that insurance companies can then use to pump every last medical entity for even more money.

Bad situation all around.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
part of being upper middle class in america is having professionals like lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc being willing and able to cheat the system for you

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

self unaware posted:

part of being upper middle class in america is having professionals like lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc being willing and able to cheat the system for you

Parents lock their cleaning supply cabinets to keep infants from drinking the contents. Grocery stores lock the formula cabinets for the same reason.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Tnega posted:

Parents lock their cleaning supply cabinets to keep infants from drinking the contents. Grocery stores lock the formula cabinets for the same reason.
No they don't, they lock them because people steal baby formula to cut heroin.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Liquid Communism posted:

Never been to Texas, have you?

The recipe for sweet tea there starts with making simple syrup, then steeping tea bags in it.

And in Chicago they make "pizzas" in a deep dish, and then market this perversity nation wide. It makes me so fuckin' mad bro.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

You can also steal baby formula to sell it. That's why Hobby Lobby has all the oil paints and copic markers locked up.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
why would you cut heroin with baby formula exactly?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

self unaware posted:

People want premie product, man.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

People cut drugs because they want to sell something watered down, or because the drug is really strong and it's easier to deal with a big pile of powder than a few grains of powder.

People cut drugs with baby formula because it's not anywhere close to being a safe medical grade powder but on the list of white powders you can buy at a supermarket it's pretty up there for "things that won't instantly kill you if you accidentally inject some" compared to like laundry soap or something.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why specifically baby formula and not regular powdered milk that's significantly cheaper? Or flour?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Why specifically baby formula and not regular powdered milk that's significantly cheaper? Or flour?

Buying large amounts of baby formula is probably less suspicious than the other white powders.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lambert posted:

I would think people do use powdered milk. But baby formula is something you can pick up giant cans of anywhere while powdered milk is a pretty weird thing to buy most places.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Neon Noodle posted:

[citation needed]

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Buying large amounts of baby formula is probably less suspicious than the other white powders.

you can get giant sacks of flour for cheap

people dont cut heroin with baby formula. formula is expensive as gently caress and has no real advantage over powdered milk except for the sole reason of feeding a baby

it's locked up because many parents can't afford formula, something babies need to survive. every formula can also has big warnings on it about not adding too much water because that's something else poor parents will do to stretch out their supply of the expensive powder and then whoops your baby is starving. if you get WIC vouchers like half the value of the vouchers is just for formula

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Neon Noodle posted:

this is the dumbest poo poo ever. no they dont. they lock it up because its expensive as poo poo, just like razors.

my son would go through a $30 can of the poo poo every 2.5 days it was crazy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
diapers are another thing where there's a big quality of life gap for middle class and poor parents

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2018/features/baby-diaper-cost/

quote:

In the United States, the average diaper sells for about 25 cents.

The quarters add up quickly. Newborns need as many as 12 changes a day. That’s $21 per week, or $84 per month. Bigger kids need fewer, but their diapers are more expensive.

For a single mom or dad working full time at minimum wage, the cost can consume 6 percent of total annual pay. For the lowest-income parents, it’s as much as 14 percent.

New research shows a third of families in the United States struggle with the expense.

Cloth diapers aren’t always an option. They are difficult to clean without a washing machine at home or paying for a service. Some coin laundries don’t allow them in their machines.

Also, most daycares require parents to bring a supply of disposable diapers each morning. Without daycare, or a sitter, a single parent can’t work or go to school.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I would think people do use powdered milk. But baby formula is something you can pick up giant cans of anywhere while powdered milk is a pretty weird thing to buy most places.

lol that OOCC is going to bat for "people cut heroin with baby formula"

i swear it's like a bad opinion machine

like the DEA is watching powdered milk purchases to catch heroin dealers lmao

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
From a casual googling, it would appear that the "drug dealers use it to cut heroin!!!!!" narrative showed up around the time when many retailers decided to all lock up their baby formula

possibly because that makes for better PR than "poo poo is expensive and poor parents have to feed their babies, enough so that shoplifting rings / a black market emerged"

critical media literacy y'all?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

boner confessor posted:

diapers are another thing where there's a big quality of life gap for middle class and poor parents

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2018/features/baby-diaper-cost/

That's not taking into account the wide quality differences between diapers too. Some brands just don't manage to hold the poo poo in. Others don't have the yellow/blue strip that makes tracking pees per day easy. Others will straight up just irritate skin because of thier materials. It takes a lot of money to figure which ones work.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 17, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The blue line is a gimmick to get you to use more diapers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The blue line is a gimmick to get you to use more diapers.

My first child got food poisoning from a grandparent (who also got got food poisoning) by giving them a sample of vegetables being grilled (we were in that transitioning to solid phase, and he was already eating said veggies at home) at a whole foods. That was the only way we could keep track of his urination to keep tabs on his hydration until he got over it, because their wasnt enough to tell by hand, ( and you're right normally it's easy).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

That's not taking into account the wide quality differences between diapers too. Some brands just don't manage to hold the poo poo in. Others don't have the yellow/blue strip that makes tracking pees per day easy. Others will straight up just irritate skin because of thier materials. It takes a lot of money to figure which ones work.

This is one the the blessings of baby showers, you often get a wide variety of diapers to try out.

Then your rear end in a top hat kid develops an allergy 3 months later and you gotta buy 9 different brand of diapers anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I feel there’s some money to be made buying a bunch of different brand diapers and then packaging them together in a “variety pack” you can sell on amazon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

boner confessor posted:

you can get giant sacks of flour for cheap

people dont cut heroin with baby formula. formula is expensive as gently caress and has no real advantage over powdered milk except for the sole reason of feeding a baby

it's locked up because many parents can't afford formula, something babies need to survive. every formula can also has big warnings on it about not adding too much water because that's something else poor parents will do to stretch out their supply of the expensive powder and then whoops your baby is starving. if you get WIC vouchers like half the value of the vouchers is just for formula
Not every place locks up formula though. Costco for example doesn't require any special access to get it. Costco is also a pretty good deal in terms of formula and diapers, since you can get both in bulk.

People that fost adopt babies receive WIC and many of the families simply sell the formula to others at a discount since they might not need all of it as well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dont have kids

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I feel there’s some money to be made buying a bunch of different brand diapers and then packaging them together in a “variety pack” you can sell on amazon.

Yeah, but I think they do inner packages of a certain size to prevent this.

Amazon sends one a decent box of free stuff and does two x 15% off anything on your registry. But they're also probably where the milk people got our info.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Not every place locks up formula though. Costco for example doesn't require any special access to get it. Costco is also a pretty good deal in terms of formula and diapers, since you can get both in bulk.

People that fost adopt babies receive WIC and many of the families simply sell the formula to others at a discount since they might not need all of it as well.

Costco also checks for membership at the door, so that probably changes their lost prevention formula (I'll let myself out)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Enjoy life, disposable money, and sleep.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

prisoner of waffles posted:

From a casual googling, it would appear that the "drug dealers use it to cut heroin!!!!!" narrative showed up around the time when many retailers decided to all lock up their baby formula

possibly because that makes for better PR than "poo poo is expensive and poor parents have to feed their babies, enough so that shoplifting rings / a black market emerged"

critical media literacy y'all?

I was working at Duane Reade at the time and this is exactly where it came from. It is true that some cold medicines and over the counter things are regularly shoplifted by dumbasses that want to get high so it was easy for retailers to extrapolate that and just say that was the same reason baby formula had to be locked up we have to stop the evil black market from taking this stuff and boiling it down into pure meth. The other one you would hear a lot is that no one who steals baby formula actually does so to re-sell it for less or use it on their own baby because the government gives you unlimited baby formula for free any time you want no matter your situation. In NYC some places will still even severely limit how much baby formula you can buy period since even now a lot of people will still get it to re-sell / send in bulk to their families/folks in China (for understandable reasons).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Trabisnikof posted:

Costco also checks for membership at the door, so that probably changes their lost prevention formula (I'll let myself out)

A couple things: Costco (in California anyway) you don't need a Costco membership to buy booze, so it isn't mandatory to show it at the door.

Also, a lot of poorer families will share one Costco membership, because staff seldom look at the photo carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Not every place locks up formula though.
The big tubs of the stuff aren't usually locked up at grocery stores; It's the cans of Enfamil that you can slip down your pants.