Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly the part I didn't like about Dishonored is that while the gameplay doesn't completely lack depth per se (choreographed clips where the dude has infinite mana elixirs are not an example of depth, btw :ssh:) entirely too many of the options boil down to "how would you like to instantly kill this bumbling guard?" while non-lethal stealth is as tedious and restrictive as it is in just about every other immersive sim (something they noticeably tweaked in both the DLCs and the second game). It has a bunch of cool ideas but it never gives you a good reason to interact with its systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jeza posted:

Pretty sure I've posted it before, but everything in Dark Messiah. If Skyrim had even a fraction of the fun of this game's combat, it'd actually be a good game. gently caress I might just replay it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

So like why couldn't Skyrim play like this

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly the part I didn't like about Dishonored is that while the gameplay doesn't completely lack depth per se (choreographed clips where the dude has infinite mana elixirs are not an example of depth, btw :ssh:) entirely too many of the options boil down to "how would you like to instantly kill this bumbling guard?" while non-lethal stealth is as tedious and restrictive as it is in just about every other immersive sim (something they noticeably tweaked in both the DLCs and the second game). It has a bunch of cool ideas but it never gives you a good reason to interact with its systems.

Its just that non-lethal is so unrewarding compared to lethal runs, as well as the fact that the stark majority of your powers and tools facilitate lethal runs.
I think the devs fully intended that you go through the game either full-on murder bastard or in minimal collateral, because a pure no-kill run isnt that much different than a minimal kill one.

Professor Wayne posted:

Oh hell yeah, trick kills in Dishonored rule

Spoilers for the final level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3PAK9tsmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swtZPcfOfWI&t=347s
I much more a fan of showing how fast you can play the game.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 04:26 on May 17, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

So like why couldn't Skyrim play like this

Dark Messiah had some real fun morality choices too. Halfway through the game it's revealed that your partner is a succubus and you are the son of Satan. Wow! You were brainwashed into forgetting that so you could kill Satan for humanity and save the world. Now that you remember though the succubus suggests killing and usurping Satan instead (she's like bonded to you or something and trying to weasel you to power so she can also have power). The third option you can choose at the very end is to blow everyone off, decide you love your dad, and free Satan and rule as father and son. :v:

Your love interests are the guy who brainwashed you's daughter (who wasn't involved) or the succubus. At one point the girl gets captured by a necromancer cult and you're given the choice to free her or pretend you didn't see her and just walk out the door. If you don't free her and go the evil route she shows up at the end of the game as a still semi-aware really pissed off zombie that you can remurder. It's pretty messed up!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Now that From Software is super popular from the Souls games I would love for them to try and revisit the concept now that they have a larger enough audience to sustain an online community and people have accepted that their games can be difficult and require a lot of player involvement to really get the most from them.

Like, I remember at launch the critical and popular reception to Chromehounds was basically "Wow this game is actually really innovative and deep, I can't wait...AAAAAND IT'S DEAD"

Chromehounds had so much potential, but it had so many things working against it that it never had a chance. You had pre-Demon Souls FROM Software, who at that point hadn't made a solid game yet. They made some interesting games, just not good ones. You had SEGA publishing it, and they are incompetent. It also came out pretty early for the 360, so there weren't enough players, and it was essentially multiplayer only.

The real nail in the coffin was the balance patches didn't happen when they needed to. No one had really made a game like this on a console, and this game needed a constant flow of patches and balance updates, and it simply didn't get it.

Early on, you had Pile Buggies, where players would slap pile driver arms on the fastest chassis, zip towards enemy bases and kill them within seconds. After that was slightly fixed, then you the Double Double, which was a mounting 2 of the giant double artillery guns on a certain chassis, and somehow the recoil of both guns canceled each other out. Usually a artillery gun would have a huge spread if fired rapidly, but this didn't. Later on, people figured out that you could hit enemy bases with artillery by memorizing where to point. The skybox was fixed and there was no wind.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its just that non-lethal is so unrewarding compared to lethal runs, as well as the fact that the stark majority of your powers and tools facilitate lethal runs.
I think the devs fully intended that you go through the game either full-on murder bastard or in minimal collateral, because a pure no-kill run isnt that much different than a minimal kill one.

Eh, even the lethal stuff is unrewarding, IMO. Basic guards either crowd around a few feet away from you to take shots or run up into your face to sword you. Neither combat pattern has much to it. The sword stuff in particular is like 80% canned animations. You also have big problems like how reliable takedowns are, when Corvo has at least 2-3 different ways to get above or behind enemies at will.

It feels like your choice of approach is entirely artificial, based on whether you want a shooter or a Thief game. It lacks any mechanical weight to the choice; combat isn't so challenging that sneaking is a smart alternative...meanwhile the sneaking is usually not a huge challenge either because of how NPCs can't look up and the maps are littered with clearly intended alternate routes. (Also the ole stealth/loud + non-lethal/lethal axes are a huge design tangle that I don't think any immersive sim has quite solved. :words:)

It all kind of works if you play Corvo as a demonic whirling dervish, bumbling in and out of stealth and murdering people in creative ways, but it takes a lot of player investment to reach that flow and even then the game arguably fights against it with the frustratingly cloudy morality system and all of the various achievements enticing you to play in a hyper-focused all or nothing way.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:40 on May 17, 2018

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dishonored 1 felt sluggish on account that you go to the Hound's Pit Pub seven times. I wouldn't call it a hub because there aren't any real side-missions there, nor do you have a choice when it comes to main missions, so the whole thing feels like padding in what is a pretty short game. The game is also not helped by the voice-actors all being dulled on Antihistamines.
For me the Hound Pits sections are a favourite little thing. Returning after every mission and seeing the time of day change, going to sleep once or twice between missions, and being able to pick out locations you've been to by looking across the river, sort of anchor the missions in the world and help establish a sense of the time that has passed. The little tasks in the area between missions do feel like pointless busywork after a couple of replays, though.

John Murdoch posted:

It feels like your choice of approach is entirely artificial, based on whether you want a shooter or a Thief game. It lacks any mechanical weight to the choice; combat isn't so challenging that sneaking is a smart alternative...meanwhile the sneaking is usually not a huge challenge either because of how NPCs can't look up and the maps are littered with clearly intended alternate routes.
Also this is imo not entirely a bad thing. Keeping both extremes equally valid allows the player to use any of the tools at their disposal without mechanically pressuring them to play one way or the other. The worst thing about Dishonored is the tacked on morality meter, which does add narrative pressure to adhere to one extreme or the other. Being pretty easy on a base level is also entirely OK with me, since the difficulty is high enough to be challenging for someone just starting with the game (I think I might have ghosted one or two levels on my first time, and had to resort to combat or running away at least once in the others), and more experienced players are free to self-determine additional challenges, like not only avoiding killing but also knocking guards out or limiting the tools and powers you want to use or upgrade, to keep up the challenge on repeat playthroughs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Messiah had some real fun morality choices too. Halfway through the game it's revealed that your partner is a succubus and you are the son of Satan. Wow! You were brainwashed into forgetting that so you could kill Satan for humanity and save the world. Now that you remember though the succubus suggests killing and usurping Satan instead (she's like bonded to you or something and trying to weasel you to power so she can also have power). The third option you can choose at the very end is to blow everyone off, decide you love your dad, and free Satan and rule as father and son. :v:

Your love interests are the guy who brainwashed you's daughter (who wasn't involved) or the succubus. At one point the girl gets captured by a necromancer cult and you're given the choice to free her or pretend you didn't see her and just walk out the door. If you don't free her and go the evil route she shows up at the end of the game as a still semi-aware really pissed off zombie that you can remurder. It's pretty messed up!

Oh drat, I never even knew about that particular option even though I played through it several times. When I went the bad route I still freed whatsherface, probably because I didn't realise that leaving her was an option at the time. She gave me an ultimatum to exorcise the succubus, and when I didn't I kinda had to murder her right in the face. :shobon:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dark Messiah did morality choices right with only two or three choices to make in the entire game. I have to commend Arkane for that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VanSandman posted:

Dragon Age: Origins and its sequel did something very cool with the player’s ability to set up algorithms for combat.

So disappointing that Inquisition was a downgrade in this regard.

bewilderment posted:

Final Fantasy 12 was based around this sort of thing too.

And after many complaints about the lack of it in Pillars of Eternity 1 (when the game first shipped, even basic AI things like "if your target dies, attack next enemy" weren't there), Pillars of Eternity 2 which comes out next week is going maximum programmable AI. You can even copy your custom AI from your game data folder and share it on the internet.
Including being able to set up two AI behaviours on a person that you can switch between!

[pictures]

Check out them conditional/target lists - those are just one page each out of many.

No word of a lie, I wish almost every game had programming like this and Dragon Age. And not just to make companions more useful (tolerable...) but to try out letting your main character just go on auto-pilot and see how good your algorithms are.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lobok posted:

No word of a lie, I wish almost every game had programming like this and Dragon Age. And not just to make companions more useful (tolerable...) but to try out letting your main character just go on auto-pilot and see how good your algorithms are.

I'm still waiting for an action game that you can play normally or go full strategist and treat the characters as programmable pawns.
I don't even want to move them around myself. I want a complex array of programmable behaviors to let me see if I can account for everything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inzombiac posted:

I'm still waiting for an action game that you can play normally or go full strategist and treat the characters as programmable pawns.
I don't even want to move them around myself. I want a complex array of programmable behaviors to let me see if I can account for everything.

Yes, my brother. Exactly.

Not just turn-based or quasi-turn-based RPGs. Anything and everything. Tomb Raider, Mario Kart, whatever.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
good news about pillars of eternity 2: you can fully program yourself and your buds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Impermanent posted:

good news about pillars of eternity 2: you can fully program yourself and your buds.

Oh my god oh my god

It's also coming out for the Switch, the perfect console.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Check out Gratuitous Space Battles, if you haven't yet. The whole idea behind that game is that all the player input happens before the actual battle, and none during. You customise your ships, set up your fleet, order them into formations, and give each ship detailed orders how it's supposed to behave. Then you hit go and get to watch the fireworks as the battle plays out without any further input from the player. Also, it looks pretty.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Perestroika posted:

Check out Gratuitous Space Battles, if you haven't yet. The whole idea behind that game is that all the player input happens before the actual battle, and none during. You customise your ships, set up your fleet, order them into formations, and give each ship detailed orders how it's supposed to behave. Then you hit go and get to watch the fireworks as the battle plays out without any further input from the player. Also, it looks pretty.

The Ogre Battle games also did this. The meat of the games consisted of preplanning battles by customizing squads and their formations whereas the battles themselves would run on autopilot with almost no direct input from the player.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Favourite little thing in Skyrim #48762 Walking round places and NPC's kept mentioning that i looked ill and pale,turns out i was turning into a loving vampire without even realizing.
Ended up getting some loving awesome powers for it,like being invisible when i wanted and feeding on sleeping people.
They all went away when i found a cure but it was cool as gently caress and really changed up the gameplay.

Also,getting a really good arrow shot off and traipsing miles to the corpse to check out my brilliant handiwork >:]

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

"Is that fur... coming out of your ears?"

Of course that line gets a bit strange when you're playing a Khajiit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lobok posted:

I never played Origins, I came in at DA2 and really missed the combat from that game in Inquisition. Totally setting up my algorithms and then picking up slack was my main way to play.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Taerkar posted:

"Is that fur... coming out of your ears?"

Of course that line gets a bit strange when you're playing a Khajiit.

And why would you not play as a Khajiit, suplexing and bodyslamming your way across the province.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wasabi the J posted:

I never played Origins, I came in at DA2 and really missed the combat from that game in Inquisition. Totally setting up my algorithms and then picking up slack was my main way to play.

The whole reason I played as a rogue in Inquisition was because the rogue characters in DA2 were the trickiest to manage through algorithms if I wanted them to really maximize their potential and so I would take manual control of them the most. Figured that I might as well play as the rogue from the outset in DA:I and have the others be controlled by the algorithms but because the coding was so lackluster I was switching among party members a lot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In Pillars of Eternity II : Deadfire one quest has you come across a dying priest, who stammers out a fragmented and cryptic clue about what you need to do, before dying in your arms.

Your character can speak to ghosts, so you immediately strike up a conversation with the priest's spirit, who explains everything in much more detail and remarks "at least in death I can finish my train of thought"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm sure I'm eventually going to hit a point that justifies everyone's low opinions of The Crew, but for now cruising for across the USA to an ambient synth soundtrack is one of the most chilled out experiences I've had in a game in ages.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In Pillars of Eternity II : Deadfire one quest has you come across a dying priest, who stammers out a fragmented and cryptic clue about what you need to do, before dying in your arms.

Your character can speak to ghosts, so you immediately strike up a conversation with the priest's spirit, who explains everything in much more detail and remarks "at least in death I can finish my train of thought"

Is this a dig on Arcanum?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Family Video finally had God of War in stock so I rented it today. Just got into a fight where I caught fire and this happened.

"Father you're on fire"
"I'm fine it will pass. :black101:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Perestroika posted:

Excuse me, I need to change my shirt.
Someone drooled all over it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Len posted:

Family Video finally had God of War in stock so I rented it today. Just got into a fight where I caught fire and this happened.

"Father you're on fire"

Did I just time travel?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Len posted:

"Father you're on fire"

*Checks date*

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

packetmantis posted:

Is this a dig on Arcanum?

Given you could do that exact thing in Arcanum, probably not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sad lions posted:

Did I just time travel?

I do live in Ohio. They even still rent out consoles there. And have a porn section.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Deadfall Adventures and overall it was really fun - a few of the late game fights added interesting gimmicks to the idea of some enemies being photo-sensitive and the treasures for the upgrade system had some fun puzzles blocking most of them. Also the Minecart section owned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love how in Divinity: Original Sin II one of the dialogue options is always something like "Unsheathe your weapon -- you already know how this is going to turn out" so that you're always free to cut off loquacious villain monologuing. What's more is that some encounters will even improve your party's initiative the less time you stand around talking. Usually it turns out they were a huge rear end in a top hat anyway and mercy is rarely rewarded in this game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hyrule Warriors is awesome and I'm having a blast with it. I've never done a Warriors/Musou game before but most of the systems are really self explanatory. It's just a joy to play, every action kills dozens of enemies and releases hundreds of Rupees and there's all these happy chimes and and dramatic musical cues and I got attacked by an army of goddamn Cuccos. At the same time, it's very rarely something I can completely turn my brain off and mash buttons for, because there's so many objectives and side missions and stuff. I dig it a lot.

No idea how the weapon fusing stuff is supposed to work but I think I just need to dig through the tutorial/manual a while.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Hyrule Warriors is awesome and I'm having a blast with it. I've never done a Warriors/Musou game before but most of the systems are really self explanatory. It's just a joy to play, every action kills dozens of enemies and releases hundreds of Rupees and there's all these happy chimes and and dramatic musical cues and I got attacked by an army of goddamn Cuccos. At the same time, it's very rarely something I can completely turn my brain off and mash buttons for, because there's so many objectives and side missions and stuff. I dig it a lot.

No idea how the weapon fusing stuff is supposed to work but I think I just need to dig through the tutorial/manual a while.
I'm loving it on the Switch, even though it never really clicked with me on the Wii U. I like the Musou games in general, but this one is a standout.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Inzombiac posted:

Not quite this, but the (now long gone) MMO City of Heroes had a 'Mastermind' class that could summon, command and support a half dozen minions instead of fighting normally. With macros you could hover 20 feet above the battlefield and issue commands to a bunch of soldiers, ninjas, zombies or whatever you chose while you buff/debuff and heal. It was a really neat change of pace and probably the most fun I have had in an MMO. The controls were basic, but you could get good at rounding up and pulling enemies as well as setting up your minions AoE attacks optimally, so there was a bit of variety. I miss my Soldier/Pain and Ninja/Thermal masterminds.

exquisite tea posted:

I love how in Divinity: Original Sin II one of the dialogue options is always something like "Unsheathe your weapon -- you already know how this is going to turn out" so that you're always free to cut off loquacious villain monologuing. What's more is that some encounters will even improve your party's initiative the less time you stand around talking. Usually it turns out they were a huge rear end in a top hat anyway and mercy is rarely rewarded in this game.

You can also be a dick and have one party member start a conversation and then move the rest into position while the villain is talking. There is even a stealth segment where you can just send out party members to talk to the guards, locking their field of view. I really liked how that game always made you feel like you were bending/breaking the rules.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I kinda wish the game made that clearer because I never would have picked up on it if my brother hadn’t pointed it out to me. All your guys are sort of independent so they aren’t tied to the same conversation. it’s incredibly powerful to have one character talk to an NPC, then click over to a different character and have them do some stuff while the NPC is locked down talking to your first guy.

For example this is the prime way to rob people blind.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked that just because some of your party is locked into turn-based battle doesn’t mean they all are, so when one of my characters got separated and engaged an enemy, I just tabbed over to the other side of the map and moved the rest of my party back in real time until they got locked into the fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Age of Wonders 3, I have units that can once per battle throw chickens at an enemy unit. And it's an attack worth using.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, those chickens don't mess around.

Reminds me how in LISA the most broken ability in the world is a drunk guy spitting gasoline on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, those chickens don't mess around.

Reminds me how in LISA the most broken ability in the world is a drunk guy spitting gasoline on people.

I liked how you had to recruit a party member with a van to progress across one point of the map and then for the rest of the game he's in your party and his attack is driving his van into people.