Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also ordered two for traveling but haven’t gotten them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh awesome. I ordered the 6' and local pickup option.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Insignia charger is bigger and clunkier but functional.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Any news on putting downloaded Spotify tracks onto AW? The Spotify + Hulu bundle was too good for me to pass up but I'd like to be able to go for a run with just my AirPods and Watch.

I know there wan an independent developer working on it about a year ago, but he got scooped by Spotify before releasing his app.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

eddiewalker posted:

Anyone tried an Insignia watch charger from Best Buy? They’re on sale for like $13 right now and throwing a 1ft one in my travel bag seems practical.

they don't charge as fast either, heads up. but as a spare they're great. Also as a bby employee - don't buy our bands. I bought a few Modal bands cause discount made em dirt cheap, but they also feel dirt cheap. There's the Crested store on aliexpress that has good knockoffs - I ordered a few of the counterfeit hermes bands and when they come in I'll see how good they are.

Are there any good charging docks for watch+phone? I've been eyeing the nomad one, but if there's a cheaper option than the $40 it's on sale for I'll be all over it.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 17, 2018

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

Are there any good charging docks for watch+phone? I've been eyeing the nomad one, but if there's a cheaper option than the $40 it's on sale for I'll be all over it.

I ordered this one when I first got my watch. It's actually an Amazon Lightning Deal today:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752D3PXP/

This one has a spot for AirPods too. I think the company makes one that's just Watch + Phone too. It's pretty basic, but has worked without any issues. I think it looks pretty slick too as long as you can hide your cables well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the lowest-effort way I can use my watch to make my wife’s watch buzz distinctly?

I’d love to have a complication I can just tap as quick code for “I need a hand over here” or just a quick “thinking of you.”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iMessage ,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up a default reply in the watch app and spam that poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this. Double tap with two fingers for a kiss 💋

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the “digital touch” thing use a different haptic pattern than regular messages? I assume that’s what Eddie means by “distinctive”.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was hoping for something faster than iMessage. It takes like 20 seconds of intense watch interaction to send an iMessage on my S2, even just the 💋

Honestly, we were at a hotel buffet yesterday and I thought it would be nice to have a quick shortcut to buzz my wife’s wrist so she’d look back at the table and I could motion “grab me a fork.”

Kind of dumb, but I can think of a lot of times where a “spouse button” would be handy, but 20 seconds of iMessaging would either be rude or not worth the effort.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 23, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

eddiewalker posted:

Honestly, we were at a hotel buffet yesterday and I thought it would be nice to have a quick shortcut to buzz my wife’s wrist so she’d look back at the table and I could motion “grab me a fork.”

Just throw your knife at her

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

eddiewalker posted:

I was hoping for something faster than iMessage. It takes like 20 seconds of intense watch interaction to send an iMessage on my S2, even just the 💋

Kind of dumb, but I can think of a lot of times where a “spouse button” would be handy, but 20 seconds of iMessaging would either be rude or not worth the effort.

Most people use a bird whistle or something. Maybe buzz your butt vibrator.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

cowofwar posted:

Most people use a bird whistle or something. Maybe buzz your butt vibrator.

I don't see how him buzzing his butt vibrator is going to get her attention at a distance.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't see how him buzzing his butt vibrator is going to get her attention at a distance.

Maybe it’s one of those old timey steam powered ones

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe it's a new timey IoT butt vibrator and it's linked to his wife's butt vibrator. Tingle his, tingle hers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Russians hacked my buttplug and other tales from our poo poo present.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

eddiewalker posted:

I have this except I wait patiently for my husband to get back, get up and get my own drat fork and ask him if he needs anything else while I am up. Jesus, even my boss walks halfway across the building when he needs something like 90% of the time instead of calling me.

Are you like physically disabled?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Three Olives posted:

Are you like physically disabled?

You know how when you’re wrestling two small children in public —one that wants to climb onto the table so it can plant its head directly into its sibling’s food, and the other literally screaming because it’s food is “too yellow,” —how at that moment the realization that you forgot your fork is is just a challenge too far?

That’s the moment I can’t iMessage, but an “IRL Facebook poke” would be useful.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Is it not possible to schedule just a battery replacement from the Apple Support site?

Unless I'm completely blind, the only applicable service category seems to be "Battery & Charging," which quotes you and authorizes a full out-of-warranty Watch replacement if necessary. I have zero desire to possibly have them swap out my watch for non-battery reasons when the replacement fee is ~65% of the cost of a refurb S3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they just replace the watch if it’s a battery issue?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The watch is unrepairable so any issues with it they give you a new one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My S2 is getting progressively slower and less functional. How in the world do I fix this aside from getting a new watch? Takes a silly amount of time to do anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

My S2 is getting progressively slower and less functional. How in the world do I fix this aside from getting a new watch? Takes a silly amount of time to do anything.

Wipe and restore. It actually helped my S0 before I got the 3.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've golfed two days in a row and goddamn I love The Grint on my watch. I'm still bad but it's nice to get estimations of my shot distance with my clubs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man I golfed today and used Swing x Swing. It’s absolute garbage that it doesn’t show the distance from the watch, and only the phone. I like to leave my phone in the cart and the cart isn’t always near where I hit the ball from. Seems super lazy to not use the watch GPS.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Molten Llama posted:

Is it not possible to schedule just a battery replacement from the Apple Support site?

Unless I'm completely blind, the only applicable service category seems to be "Battery & Charging," which quotes you and authorizes a full out-of-warranty Watch replacement if necessary. I have zero desire to possibly have them swap out my watch for non-battery reasons when the replacement fee is ~65% of the cost of a refurb S3.

Make an appointment at the store. They’ll test your watches battery. If it fails their test you can get the watch replaced at a reduced battery rate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Biodome posted:

Make an appointment at the store. They’ll test your watches battery. If it fails their test you can get the watch replaced at a reduced battery rate.

My experience with “make an appointment at the store” has always been “go to one of our MacBooks on display and make an appointment online, then come back on that date because I have 100 other people in the store right now with appointments.” YMMV though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

My experience with “make an appointment at the store” has always been “go to one of our MacBooks on display and make an appointment online, then come back on that date because I have 100 other people in the store right now with appointments.” YMMV though.

Do you live in Manhattan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you live in Manhattan?

Apple stores are busy, and especially so since the battery fiasco.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You can book in advance on the website from home, right? At least here in the UK, be surprised if it were different elsewhere.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am having a strange phenomena in the last few days and I want to see if it is happening to anyone else.

So I put my Apple Watch on the charger at night and go to bed. I put it back on in the morning once I start moving. All of the sudden in the last week my watch is extremely hot when I take it off the charger. And not a “oh that is a little warm” more like a hair under burning hot.

I don’t have any apps running on it and it is just sitting on a desk in open air with plenty of circulation around it. Once I take it off the charging cable it cools back down in a minute or two but I am trying to decide if I should take it to Apple and have them replace it or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warmth from a watch is due to charging, like if you go play around with the watches in the apple store they feel like ovens because they're constantly being recharged.

In your case I'd assume something is going on with charging the battery, if it's too hot to comfortably touch it's a fire hazard and you should 100% take it to Apple.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Boris Galerkin posted:

You know there’s an Apple Support app for iOS that allows you to chat/call/schedule Genius Bar appointments beforehand right? Just walking into the store is generally the worst idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone know where I can get some of the new spring bands cheap? Notably the blue stripe nylon and Nike khaki sport Loop?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

New, cheap, official, pick two

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

They don't need to be official? I usually buy 3rd party/knockoffs. I just want decent quality like no gaps.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Matt Zerella posted:

They don't need to be official? I usually buy 3rd party/knockoffs. I just want decent quality like no gaps.

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795GQH3K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sadly no blue stripe but thank you!