Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can talk abt title importance but in terms of working champions and presence I don’t think it’s much of a question that Styles is presented strongly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

even factoring in the steep curve for WWE booking, AJ Styles has been the best-booked full timer since his debut

they haven’t hosed him up at all! it’s astounding

He lost clean to Baron Corbin once.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the belt is on their unambiguously best guy and not loving Jinder, but AJ Styles and the WWE Championship were like the fifth most important thing in the feud for the WWE Championship earlier this year. And the less said about the booking and finishes in his feud with Owens last year, the better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

brock is the top champion, aj has a replica jinderweight title

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Almost exactly a year ago AJ Styles lost a PPV match from getting his leg stuck in a table.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He's been in a feud for 2 months where he's been hit in the dick constantly and still doesn't know you can wear a cup. With the MITB match already announced it's going to enter at least month 3

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

AJ is a great wrestler who has good matches in spite of dogshit WWE writing, agenting, and booking. Unfortunately this title reign has been a real wet fart. The WM match was a huge disappointment and not even in the same galaxy as their WrestleKingdom 10 one. But hey, what do you expect from WWE? They're poo poo

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
WWE is where good workers go to collect paychecks at the end of their careers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenkem Delivery posted:

AJ is a great wrestler who has good matches in spite of dogshit WWE writing, agenting, and booking. Unfortunately this title reign has been a real wet fart. The WM match was a huge disappointment and not even in the same galaxy as their WrestleKingdom 10 one. But hey, what do you expect from WWE? They're poo poo

It's not even that, it's that the agenting and booking seem to be deliberately setting out to prevent them from having a match that good. Every time they're getting up to the top gear of the WK match, they either just skip the false finishes and the match ends, or they do a bullshit non-finish. And we're now probably getting a Last Man Standing match that plays to neither guy's strength. It's like Vince resents having to book the feud because New Japan did it first.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Outside of Cena, who's been AJ's best feud in WWE? Ambrose, despite the Ellsworth stuff (or because of it)?

Both were AJ in cocky jock rear end in a top hat heel mode, which is Best AJ, even if you can't get people to boo him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Easily Ambrose. I would argue AJ hasn't had a good feud since he turned face. It's been some real monkey's paw poo poo for me, I wanted him to turn face so badly and then WWE Babyface Syndrome hit him like a semi truck.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

D.N. Nation posted:

Outside of Cena, who's been AJ's best feud in WWE? Ambrose, despite the Ellsworth stuff (or because of it)?

Both were AJ in cocky jock rear end in a top hat heel mode, which is Best AJ, even if you can't get people to boo him.

Ambrose/Elseworth/Deano was a great feud. I don't think any of the others really touched it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd argue Reigns, actually. The story in the Ambrose feud might have been better, but the Reigns matches were better. And you could throw Lesnar in there if you want.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AJ looked like poo poo in the Reigns matches and the only reason he recovered is because of the brand split & Cena.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

AJ looked like poo poo in the Reigns matches and the only reason he recovered is because of the brand split & Cena.

LOL if you think they'd have let him anywhere near Cena if the Reigns matches sucked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Reigns feud can go gently caress itself, it was overbooked Gotta Make Roman Look Strong nonsense. loving Styles Clash on a chair getting a two count, no, I don't loving care that the Uso pulled him off of him. The matches absolutely made AJ look like a guy that couldn't hang in the main event without tons of help and for that matter, the Cena feud was only Okay-to-Good until the brand split hit. The finish to the MitB match sucked and he lost at Battleground. It wasn't until SummerSlam when they actually really, for real, put AJ over and everything clicked.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

You must really, really hate tag team matches if you call a pin being broken up nonsense.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

LOL if you think they'd have let him anywhere near Cena if the Reigns matches sucked.

Them making AJ look like poo poo has absolutely nothing to do with AJ's performance in them. As VJeff noted, they were overbooked messes obsessed only with making Roman Look Strong all the while making AJ look like an ineffectual chump.

AJ came off looking better from a loving Brock Lesnar match of all the goddamn things than he did that Roman feud.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

You must really, really hate tag team matches if you call a pin being broken up nonsense.

Break-up during a tag match: Guy hits a move. Partner breaks it up. No second cover attempt is made.
Break-up during Roman vs. AJ: AJ hits his finisher on a chair. Uso pulls him off. AJ immediately goes back into the cover so Roman can kick out of AJ's finisher onto a chair, but with an extremely thin asterisk so AJ's move can be "protected" (it wasn't, the Styles Clash became an absolute joke after the Roman feud and barely counts as a finisher anymore).

You wanna try that again?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

Break-up during a tag match: Guy hits a move. Partner breaks it up. No second cover attempt is made.
Break-up during Roman vs. AJ: AJ hits his finisher on a chair. Uso pulls him off. AJ immediately goes back into the cover so Roman can kick out of AJ's finisher onto a chair, but with an extremely thin asterisk so AJ's move can be "protected" (it wasn't, the Styles Clash became an absolute joke after the Roman feud and barely counts as a finisher anymore).

You wanna try that again?

In wrestling logic, a pin getting broken up means way more than it should in terms of the move receiver recovering. Also Roman didn't make the Styles Clash a joke, WWE transitioned away from it because they think the PF is a better finisher, a rare instance of WWE being absolutely right.

You're mad because it's Roman, which is fair enough, but be honest with yourself.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
as a non-expert liker of wrestling, i will say the styles clash looks awkward and slow and i'm not quite sure how it's supposed to hurt someone all that much :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's falling on your face.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Complaining that someone was actually booked to look good in a match in the hellhole promotion where nobody is allowed to look good ever is one of the dumbest possible complaints.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You're mad because it's Roman, which is fair enough, but be honest with yourself.

Foochs is right. Whining that Styles looked weak during the Roman feud is really dumb considering it took him from being booked as "The Redneck Rookie" to being one of the top guys on the roster.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Styles Clash is a dumb move because most of the force is slamming the opponent's knees, while your face is driven down.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

VJeff posted:

(it wasn't, the Styles Clash became an absolute joke after the Roman feud and barely counts as a finisher anymore).

When he pinned Nakamura with it at Wrestlemania - a completely normal version - I was genuinely surprised/impressed. I guess if you unprotect a finisher so much then it goes all the way around back to shock value when it actually does work?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently WON is suggesting Nia is turning heel to align with Stephanie against Ronda.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently WON is suggesting Nia is turning heel to align with Stephanie against Ronda.

If she's facing Ronda she kinda has to. There is no path to being remotely cheered for Nia there.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I don't understand why she turned face in the first place

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Personality-wise she is a natural face who has been riding a pretty good message irl

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't understand why she turned face in the first place
Despite claiming a revolution, the women are still booked and treated as an afterthought and nothing more than a PR move, really. Rhonda Rousey is really only going to be the thing the women have going for them now, since they've managed to derail or deflate every other woman.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
nia is the big show of the women's division, she's gonna have a long career of face/heel turns with no real pattern or reason, just whenever its convenient.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I hope they turn the woman who literally said be a star in a promo into a heel

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I hope they turn the woman who literally said be a star in a promo into a heel

She's not like most girls.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i really liked Nia Jax when she was Eva Marie's lackey in NXT, I thought that was a good sort of role for her at least until she develops further

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Soul Glo posted:

as a non-expert liker of wrestling, i will say the styles clash looks awkward and slow and i'm not quite sure how it's supposed to hurt someone all that much :shrug:

Yeah you need to do a flipping version of it off the top rope.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the Styles Clash is awful, through and through.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

the escape goat posted:

THANK YOU.

I've always thought that move looked so dumb and stupid!

Granted, I greatly appreciated how it was protected for so long since finishers need to be protected. But man it looks so goofy!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

the escape goat posted:

It has a cool name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tanahashi's is better