Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

medchem posted:

I have the same experience as you. The game is pretty difficult. I'm guessing there may be more rules errors being committed.

Another thing to note is that 4P is harder than 2 or 3 player (and 3P is generally just bad). Still, I'd double check rules if you aren't winning 50%, or aren't "nearly winning" your losses - it shouldn't feel abusively hard (here I mean the base game, I haven't tried the expansions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jmzero posted:

Another thing to note is that 4P is harder than 2 or 3 player (and 3P is generally just bad). Still, I'd double check rules if you aren't winning 50%, or aren't "nearly winning" your losses - it shouldn't feel abusively hard (here I mean the base game, I haven't tried the expansions).

I'd wager my own winrate is about 50% in two player. In 3 or 4 player though, the results are catastrophic. Very rarely would we reach nemesis tier 3 before biting it, even on the lowest difficulty nemesis with beginner mode. This is for War Eternal though, which from what I've read is cut above the base game in terms of difficulty.

I can tell that we don't deal with minions quick enough or soon enough and that hurts our position early. It's not exactly clear to me how to address that though but I think it entails buying more spells earlier. The game seems to punish bad play very harshly and the people I play with have not quite grasped that you can't just buy the most expensive card in the market you can every round and expect to win. Each player has to specialize and build their engine very quick in 3/4p and I'm still getting the hang of that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

I played it 2P about three years ago and it might be one of those games that I need to commit to playing a bunch of times to appreciate because god knows my first impression was "this is how high on the BGG top games list?"

Gosh basically this. It didn't go as badly as the attempt at Roll for the Galaxy today - " this is so boring and complicated, why do you always pick games that are serious and hard".

Hmmmm

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Roll for the Galaxy today and the game always oooks more interesting to play before you start than it actually is

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

SettingSun posted:

I'd wager my own winrate is about 50% in two player. In 3 or 4 player though, the results are catastrophic. Very rarely would we reach nemesis tier 3 before biting it, even on the lowest difficulty nemesis with beginner mode. This is for War Eternal though, which from what I've read is cut above the base game in terms of difficulty.

I can tell that we don't deal with minions quick enough or soon enough and that hurts our position early. It's not exactly clear to me how to address that though but I think it entails buying more spells earlier. The game seems to punish bad play very harshly and the people I play with have not quite grasped that you can't just buy the most expensive card in the market you can every round and expect to win. Each player has to specialize and build their engine very quick in 3/4p and I'm still getting the hang of that.

We've pretty much only played 2 and 3 player, so that may be why we were able to win as much as we could, even with the rules error.

You're right that you have to be very strategic about which cards you buy, when, for which player. Early game it's really just about surviving the onslaught as it's very heavily stacked against you, and it's also highly dependent on the nemesis you are facing and the cards in the deck. If we lost, we would usually replay with the same nemesis deck, so some of our wins may be the result of knowing what was coming and being able to plan more accordingly. We always prioritised killing minions and clearing power cards (especially since we were incorrectly resolving them multiple times!) so that often meant having one player focusing on currency so that they could clear power cards (usually the player with a strong active power, so that they could use that currency for charges later in the game) and one player focusing on getting some higher damage spells early on.

The other mistake I think it would be easy to make is always casting your sparks, even when there isn't a minion to kill. In general, if we didn't have a spell in hand that could replace a prepped spell, and there wasn't a minion to kill, we would leave any prepped spells in place so that we could use them if a minion did get drawn on a later nemesis turn.

In 3 player games particularly, the 'Wild' turn order card is very important and making the right choice about who to give the extra turn to can make or break the game - and that often meant knowing very well what is in your deck, so that you could be in a position to know, for example, which player is likely to draw enough Aether to be able to clear a problematic power card if they get an extra turn.

Although it was a massive mistake, I actually don't think our rule error around the power cards made too much difference as I would say we were able to clear them (those that have a discard effect at least!) the majority of the time, often before they would trigger even once (according to our misread of the rules).

Lastly, we would also balance the market a little bit if our randomisation was too awkward - e.g. if we only got spells costing 5 or more, or no gems worth more than 3.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Such a great and underappreciated game. Definitely the best sports themed game I've played (though Flamme Rouge is really great) but I guess there's not a ton of baseball and board game fan overlap.

idgi, baseball is pretty much a turn based sport

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Strat-O-Matic Baseball is very popular and I would classify it as a board game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

T-Bone posted:

Strat-O-Matic Baseball is very popular and I would classify it as a board game.

The football version just came up yesterday in an episode of The Americans I was watching and I was like "hey, that actually sounds kind of nifty."

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

FunkMonkey posted:

The football version just came up yesterday in an episode of The Americans I was watching and I was like "hey, that actually sounds kind of nifty."

They're doing a football version of Baseball Highlights too (potentially a hockey one as well apparently?).

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Southern Heel posted:

Gosh basically this. It didn't go as badly as the attempt at Roll for the Galaxy today - " this is so boring and complicated, why do you always pick games that are serious and hard".

Hmmmm

I quite like RoFTG but it does front-load a ton of information which makes explaining it a chore.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

jmzero posted:

That’s good to know. I’ve only played it 3 player so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bought/played some new stuff

Fox in the Forest - Wow, the hype is justified for this one. Two player trick taking sounds like a bad gimmick to build a game around, but this one does it thanks to a small deck with only 3 suits, an interesting scoring system where greed is punished as much as mediocrity, and interesting card powers in the vein of Love Letter. At the end of each round you score points based on the number of tricks you won, but if you win too many you get 0 points (and your opponent gets the max instead), adding a hell of a dynamic and a lot of depth to every single turn. Instantly in my "best small box 2 player games" list, along with Jaipur, Schotten Totten, Valley of the Kings, Pixel Tactics, etc. Big :wtf: to the complete nonsensical "story" spread throughout the rule book. For a game with such great art and so much charm based on fairy tales, it was a huge :psyduck: trying to parse what the hell that was supposed to be.

Battlecon: Trials - Oh my god, why weren't all of the Battlecon games this well produced with regards to the included storage and organization? Those tuck boxes are :discourse: The full set of cards for each character is also a no-brainer that should have always been a thing. Can't wait for the summer Kickstarter to complete the rest of my set with the same boxes.

Millennium Blades: Set Rotation - CSI had it for $10, couldn't turn down 500 more cards for this great game. Anyone played the coop scenarios? Would they add a passable solo mode by chance?

Orc - A microgame from the Pack-O-Games line. Little set collection/area control game that plays fast and is super simple but comes with garbage rules, a flaw every one of their games seems to have.

Spy - Another Pack-O-Games entry, haven't played this yet but it looks like a great option for theme parks or waiting in similar places because it needs no table space.

Arkham LCG: The Forgotten Age - This game continues to be the best thing FFG has ever made in my eyes. The settings keep getting more interesting, the characters are staying compelling, and the player and scenario cards keep doing a lot in the design space. Can't wait to see how this campaign compares to the first two full ones. They tend to start out in an intriguing setting and end up going full bonkers with the cosmic horror theme.

Hanamikoji - Borrowed this one and I see why people love it after one play. It's basically Tough Choices: The Game. It's very cutthroat card counting with just enough hidden information to make you take gambles. Card pile splitting for opponents to choose is always a fun mechanic and 50% of your turns in this game will be just that. In the end though, it almost feels like you don't have enough choice in your strategy and are at the whim of your opponent more than driving the game yourself. I wish one of the actions was a more direct open card placement (you get one hidden) just to allow more direct influence on the board but also add more counterplay in seeing what your opponent is working towards, since otherwise you're choosing for them as well. I definitely prefer Schotten Totten still at this point, but this is a clever game that plays faster and sits in a similar space.

Also grabbed two of the Exit games: Secret Lab and Pharaoh's Tomb for a house warming party for friends that love escape rooms, so that should be a fun time.

Having a 3 player goon game night tomorrow, here's the list of stuff we might play aside from any fillers:

Clans of Caledonia
A Feast for Odin
Keyflower
Kemet
Scythe
Brewcrafters

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 17, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FunkMonkey posted:

I remember the football version being more fun than the baseball version because you choose your play each down (and the defensive player tries to correctly guess it a la Tecmo Bowl). The baseball version is pretty much just a simulation, where you only make managerial decisions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Having a 3 player goon game night tomorrow, here's the list of stuff we might play aside from any fillers:

Clans of Caledonia
A Feast for Odin
Keyflower
Kemet
Scythe
Brewcrafters

I vote for Keyflower out of that list ;)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, how did I miss the KS for the second edition of Hands in the Sea? The game looks incredible, has anyone had a chance to play it here? Also in the same vein, what do people think of Handful of Stars?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Got a loooong flight coming up. What are some good games you can play on a plane?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

a7m2 posted:

Got a loooong flight coming up. What are some good games you can play on a plane?

Solo? Load up your phone or iPad with whatever. For two players I could see something like Hive Pocket working. Chunky pieces and no board. Maybe get a grippy mat or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

You can get those Pocket Chess sets where the case is made of metal and the pieces have magnets on them. If you are fortunate you can find these sets in a dollar store. Anything larger than that would be a bad idea on a plane. You don't get a lot of space on your food treys, and turbulence will mess up any game that doesn't use magnets:

Or just use a tablet with some games on it obviously

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've asked for a lot of recommendations in the past couple of weeks, as I just started with board games and wanted to build a collection of games for the regular game nights I've been organizing.

So based in part on this thread, I got:
Agricola - my favorite so far. It's pretty much perfect. It's easy to learn, the cards are well worded and the game looks awesome. I got the revised edition and after trying the old edition on iOS, I gotta say I much prefer the balanced cards. I'm getting the 5-6 player expansion in a month or so.
Caverna - arrived today; haven't played yet.
Carcassonne - played one game. It's pretty good and fairly short if you enforce a time limit.
Space Alert - Really enjoyed the tutorial. We haven't had the chance to play more.
Arkham Horror LCG - Great! Haven't finished the campaign yet. I bought it in two languages just so I could play with my girlfriend who isn't a native English speaker and have both of us enjoy the story equally.
Codenames - My favorite short game. It's just so well done, but really hard. I also got the pictures version which I haven't played yet, since it'll allow my family, my girlfriend and me to play together when we visit my country.
Avalon: The Resistance - Haven't tried it yet.

I've also been playing Twilight Struggle and a weekly game of Pandemic Legacy S1 (really fun).

I'm probably getting A Feast for Odin next. I'm also looking at Captain Sonar and Tigris & Euphrates. Not sure about the latter because I'm not sure the people I play with (except for one) will like it. It seems pretty complex and while two of us like complex games, the others might not. e: Also Patchwork looks so fun

So yeah, all this is to say that I really appreciate the advice and help in this thread. One of the best threads in Games and subforums, honestly.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 17, 2018

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Solo? Load up your phone or iPad with whatever. For two players I could see something like Hive Pocket working. Chunky pieces and no board. Maybe get a grippy mat or something.
I don't have a tablet, unfortunately. I'll look into Hive Pocket.

Rutibex posted:

You can get those Pocket Chess sets where the case is made of metal and the pieces have magnets on them. If you are fortunate you can find these sets in a dollar store. Anything larger than that would be a bad idea on a plane. You don't get a lot of space on your food treys, and turbulence will mess up any game that doesn't use magnets:

Or just use a tablet with some games on it obviously
I considered this but chess doesn't interest me that much, unfortunately. Appreciate the suggestion though! What about card games, like that Fox in the Forest game mentioned earlier? Would they work, you think? I've never played non-traditional card games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

So yeah, all this is to say that I really appreciate the advice and help in this thread. One of the best threads in Games and subforums, honestly.

Boardgaming deep rabbit hole. Be careful or you will soon be buying Ikea kallax shelves and felt covered gaming tables.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Boardgaming deep rabbit hole. Be careful or you will soon be buying Ikea kallax shelves and felt covered gaming tables.

My table is covered in only the finest bella velvet, please.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

I don't have a tablet, unfortunately. I'll look into Hive Pocket.

I considered this but chess doesn't interest me that much, unfortunately. Appreciate the suggestion though! What about card games, like that Fox in the Forest game mentioned earlier? Would they work, you think? I've never played non-traditional card games.

You could try Banannagrams, its pretty small and you could play it on the food trey. But the pieces will fly around if there is any turbulence:
https://www.amazon.com/Bananagrams-BAN001/dp/1932188126/

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

a7m2 posted:

Mint Works is tiny and pretty drat fun.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/200077/mint-works

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravendas posted:

My table is covered in only the finest bella velvet, please.

My table is covered in leather made from the skins of Munchkin players. :black101:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone tell me stuff about Dungeon Alliance. Seems like a nice euro/AT hybrid marinated in dungeonsauce, collective opinion is generally positive, doesn't seem like the usual KS shovelware, I just need a slight push in the buy/don't buy direction. Where does it lie on the euro vs. AT spectrum and how much is the theme pasted on vs integrated into mechanics?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a7m2 posted:

If you have 2 normal size tray tables you can get away with a lot of small 2 player staples:

Tiny Epic Galaxies (box doubles as a dice tray and only 3 cards and two small player mats on the table)
Fox in the Forest (this one can be played with basically no space, just a single card in play besides your tricks which you can just hold out)
Jaipur - 5 cards and tokens
Hive - ceramic pieces, get Hive Pocket because it's more portable and comes with expansions
Mint Works - just a few cards
Love Letter - just a card in play, same as Fox in the Forest
Spy - played entirely in your hands
One Deck Dungeon - few cards and dice
Valley of the Kings - 6 card pyramid and player area

Anything beyond that I'd just play some of the fuller games on your phone with pass and play, especially Patchwork and Agricola.

Also, some news on the Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small Big Box printing:

quote:

Yes, Uwe Rosenberg's Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is coming back to print in 2018, with this "Big Box" edition including the base game, the two expansions (More Buildings Big and Small and Even More Buildings Big and Small), and shaped wooden components for the workers and resource tokens. Girke says that this new edition might reach the UK in time for UK Games Expo at the start of June 2018 and might reach the U.S. for Gen Con 2018 in August, but if not, then you can be assured that they are on their way from the manufacturer to retail outlets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, some news on the Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small Big Box printing:

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I also have a long flight coming up and was thinking about games, but then I remember that I'm also going to be travelling with my 3 kids under age 5 at the same time :stonk:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That box art is bad. What are those expressions?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played Deckscape: Fate of London. Everything was better than the other Deckscape game (Test Time) - better puzzles, better structured, less stupidity.

That adds up to it being the second worst escape-room-in-a-box I've tried.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

a7m2 posted:

I've asked for a lot of recommendations in the past couple of weeks, as I just started with board games and wanted to build a collection of games for the regular game nights I've been organizing.

So based in part on this thread, I got:
Agricola - my favorite so far. It's pretty much perfect. It's easy to learn, the cards are well worded and the game looks awesome. I got the revised edition and after trying the old edition on iOS, I gotta say I much prefer the balanced cards. I'm getting the 5-6 player expansion in a month or so.
Caverna - arrived today; haven't played yet.
Carcassonne - played one game. It's pretty good and fairly short if you enforce a time limit.
Space Alert - Really enjoyed the tutorial. We haven't had the chance to play more.
Arkham Horror LCG - Great! Haven't finished the campaign yet. I bought it in two languages just so I could play with my girlfriend who isn't a native English speaker and have both of us enjoy the story equally.
Codenames - My favorite short game. It's just so well done, but really hard. I also got the pictures version which I haven't played yet, since it'll allow my family, my girlfriend and me to play together when we visit my country.
Avalon: The Resistance - Haven't tried it yet.

I've also been playing Twilight Struggle and a weekly game of Pandemic Legacy S1 (really fun).

I'm probably getting A Feast for Odin next. I'm also looking at Captain Sonar and Tigris & Euphrates. Not sure about the latter because I'm not sure the people I play with (except for one) will like it. It seems pretty complex and while two of us like complex games, the others might not. e: Also Patchwork looks so fun

This may sound blunt, but most people in the thread will back me up here.

Stop buying games for like, 3 months. Stop reading this thread if you are inspired to buy a game based on the contents. What pretty much every person does is splurge right out of the gate, spending several hundred dollars. You will buy pretty much everything that looks cool, and you will end up with a large collection where you stop playing games that you enjoy because you have to play the new games that you just bought instead. Your group will likely burn out on needing to learn new rules every time, and you will quickly find yourself in a place where you wasted a lot of money.

Don't buy anything else for a while. Play what you have. Articulate why you like or don't like the games that you are playing. Discuss the merits of strategies, the pitfalls that the games presents to the players, and what could be improved. Keep a small, in depth collection rather than trying to water ski across a lot of games. I want to save you many dollars and hours.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Keep a small, in depth collection rather than trying to water ski across a lot of games. I want to save you many dollars and hours.

:yeah:

You already have enough games to cycle and play a ton, do a 10x10 challenge with them and you'll get a better idea of your tastes and more satisfaction out of your collection.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah it’s good advice. I ended up with ~60 games in my collection but this was over 7-8 years. And even when you think about that, that’s a lot per year. I joke with the guys on discord a lot but, for example, I am a sucker for midweight Euros and I’m getting Gentes/Endeavor in a few months. But, truth be told when the time comes for it, my group wants to play great Zimbabwe and Troyes over and over again. There’s something to be said about spending an entire summer vacation playing Puerto Rico almost every day

See what you want first, then start asking for laser focused suggestions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

Stop buying games for like, 3 months. Stop reading this thread if you are inspired to buy a game based on the contents. What pretty much every person does is splurge right out of the gate, spending several hundred dollars. You will buy pretty much everything that looks cool, and you will end up with a large collection where you stop playing games that you enjoy because you have to play the new games that you just bought instead. Your group will likely burn out on needing to learn new rules every time, and you will quickly find yourself in a place where you wasted a lot of money.

Don't buy anything else for a while. Play what you have. Articulate why you like or don't like the games that you are playing. Discuss the merits of strategies, the pitfalls that the games presents to the players, and what could be improved. Keep a small, in depth collection rather than trying to water ski across a lot of games. I want to save you many dollars and hours.

This is actually good advice, especially considering he is rapid buying Uwe Rosenberg games. Agricola on its own should tide you over for a good long while, you don't need Caverna and Feast for Odin right away too.

I did the same thing at first, and I ended up selling half my collection once I realized what kind of games I actually like.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BTW if you’re lucky enough, see if there are meet ups near you so you can play other people’s games. Even better, try to make friends with someone who is a sucker for kickstarters so you can experience all the good/bad stuff. :getin:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Looking at my BGG profile, I currently own about 77 games. I have previously owned about 40, and I am trying to offload about 20 at the moment. I have been actively in the hobby for about 5-6 years.

I do not regret all of my purchases, but there are several that I wish I would have skipped entirely. Some of those regrets I even enjoyed initially, but I soured on them after a few more plays. There are only about 10 games in my collection that I have played more than 5 times, and most of those are lighter/party fare.

I say all of that to say that taste can change rapidly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You'll probably find that you'll decide to sell either Agricola or Caverna, based on your tastes the correct answer is to sell Caverna.

I get that there's an impulse purchase thing - I go through cycles of sitting at work thinking about playing games, then browsing online stores, then finding a deal, and then buying a game. I sometimes need mindfully to remind myself not to use purchasing a game as a proxy for playing one. Money isn't an issue for me, either, really. I just have a fairly good library of about 20 games, some of which I have not played enough yet.

On that note, I'm thinking about selling my copies of Captain Sonar and The Colonists at an upcoming convention auction. The Colonists is a perfectly cromulant game, but I just can't ever get it on the table, and I don't find the solo play compelling.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Don't be me, don't have a room full of 230+ games, of which you play maybe 5-10% with anything like regularity. It is a fool's errand.

Admittedly I have that many games for other reasons than just manic impulse buying, but still.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

djfooboo posted:

Love, longing, holding in a fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

djfooboo posted:

That's some strong gently caress eyes, right there.