Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Might be time to switch to just doing leg attacks, unless other BA want to join in on the party and no one shoots the mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oof. That's rough, Sin 7. I don't think the primary objective is in reach by turn 15, so the next time we see the Society we will probably see literal armored cores with laser swords or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, I'm making a couple of post-timeskip vehicles. Probably not many, but every nation's getting an MBT and a VTOL, and there'll be a few generics floating around.

I've got all the VTOLs done, so have a sneak peek:

25t
Red Kite Attack VTOL - VTOL, Laser Reflective - (FWL)
Hawk Moth Gunship - VTOL, Laser Reflective - (LA)
Balac Strike VTOL - VTOL, Laser Reflective - (Clan)

30t
Yasha - VTOL, Advanced TarComp, Laser Reflective - (DC)
Aeron Attack VTOL - VTOL, Stealth - (FS)
Strix Stealth VTOL - VTOL, Stealth - (CC)

Talk me into redesigning your favorite (no promises (the Vedette is already in)).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You know we need a Gurtie to make people fear tanks

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd like to see the Brutus get reworked for the CapCon as their MBT. For whatever reason it always seemed to get poo poo on in the fluff but I don't know that it was particularly bad, beyond having a ton of missile ammo in it I guess. But that's never really counted against things from a fluff standpoint and tanks are a deathtrap as it is. If the missiles are really a problem, you could probably tear them out and up-gun the Large Lasers to something heavier, be it heavy ballistics (which I'm always for) or heavy PPCs. It's a capable little tank though.

I honestly don't know enough about VTOLs to have an opinion on what should fill that role.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There should always be something as terrifying in close quarters as the venerable SRM Carrier.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Defiance Industries posted:

You know we need a Gurtie to make people fear tanks

I was gonna second this notion. Bonus because the Gurtie's art is rad as hell and actually looks like a tank.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I'd like to see the Brutus get reworked for the CapCon as their MBT.

Current plan for the Capellan MBT is the Pixiu Heavy Tank, but that doesn't mean we won't see the Brutus later.

I have no current plans to include the Baneblade Gürteltier but I haven't done any 100-ton anything yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A new Mars would be sorta cool too, because that's always been such a semi-hot mess of a tank.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Current plan for the Capellan MBT is the Pixiu Heavy Tank, but that doesn't mean we won't see the Brutus later.

I guess you can't go wrong with something with a Gauss Rifle for a main armament, even if the rest of the tank is incredibly gimmicky. It's the most Space-French tank ever. It excels at hiding and is even built to go faster in reverse. The Sarna page for it lists its greatest achievement as making the enemy run out of ammunition and leave. :v:

I trust you'll come up with something to make it more "main battle"-y. How does it already having a Thunderbolt launcher interact with the regular launchers being made into smaller T-bolts? Free size upgrade or something?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All I know is the Battletech videogame has given me a really healthy respect for Demolishers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I guess you can't go wrong with something with a Gauss Rifle for a main armament, even if the rest of the tank is incredibly gimmicky. It's the most Space-French tank ever. It excels at hiding and is even built to go faster in reverse. The Sarna page for it lists its greatest achievement as making the enemy run out of ammunition and leave. :v:

I trust you'll come up with something to make it more "main battle"-y. How does it already having a Thunderbolt launcher interact with the regular launchers being made into smaller T-bolts? Free size upgrade or something?

More armor and ammo, mostly.

Power Reverse is an extremely good quirk for a tank (the DC tank gets it too but the 5/8 Pixiu is the fastest of the MBTs). Being able to move full speed with your heaviest armor pointed at the enemy is a godsend for a defensive unit which the Pixiu very much is.

No heavy 'Mech can close range on it unless they've got MASC or a Supercharger or it gets hosed by terrain.

Would anyone be interested in watching me stream tank construction?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

More armor and ammo, mostly.

Power Reverse is an extremely good quirk for a tank (the DC tank gets it too but the 5/8 Pixiu is the fastest of the MBTs). Being able to move full speed with your heaviest armor pointed at the enemy is a godsend for a defensive unit which the Pixiu very much is.

No heavy 'Mech can close range on it unless they've got MASC or a Supercharger or it gets hosed by terrain.

Would anyone be interested in watching me stream tank construction?

I'd be interested in that stream.

Is an Extra Light engine in a tank as much of a horrible idea as it sounds in my head? Being the fastest of the tanks is great and all until one shot gets through and leaves you immobilized, so losing your speed advantage seems far easier on a tank than a mech.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Is an Extra Light engine in a tank as much of a horrible idea as it sounds in my head? Being the fastest of the tanks is great and all until one shot gets through and leaves you immobilized, so losing your speed advantage seems far easier on a tank than a mech.

Tanks don't use the kind of per component crit table that mechs do, so an XL engine doesn't cause the same problems. Few even mount fusion engines due to the cost, though.

The problem with tanks is that any side or rear hit forces a roll on the gently caress your wheels, treads, etc table.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 17, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Also let me keep swarming for one more turn (so please don't laser me again) Just kick the dude I'm climbing on

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Also let me keep swarming for one more turn (so please don't laser me again) Just kick the dude I'm climbing on

The Thunderbolt IIC is such a big, tempting target tho

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Xarbala posted:

The Thunderbolt IIC is such a big, tempting target tho

yeah but make it a target for your sweet sweet taloned feet. Get two people on the same side to kick a leg right off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Get two people on the same side to kick a leg right off.

That doesn't work, sadly. Only the hex in the right (or left) side arc is guaranteed to hit a specific leg, all four of the others are 50/50.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that swarming attack going to continue to just strip off 5 points of armor each turn, or does it actually get a crit chance or something?

Because this is seriously underwhelming:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sin #7 (Player)
- Continues to swarm Thunderbolt IIC, automatically hits Front Center Torso with AP Gauss Rifle (28/33 armor remaining)!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

They're actually much less of a drawback in most tanks, but putting an XLFE in a tank defeats the whole point of a tank (to be cheap and easy to maintain).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Is that swarming attack going to continue to just strip off 5 points of armor each turn, or does it actually get a crit chance or something?

Because this is seriously underwhelming:

Solo swarms really are. The point of swarming is to get the whole squad hitting the same location with every weapon.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 18, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

XLs are great in tanks if your goal is making really scary combat units. Tanks are typically far less constrained by space concerns than mechs, so they can afford to more easily use fancy armor, (X)XLs, etc. The downside is that all that poo poo is expensive and most people build tanks to be cheaper throwaways vs mechs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

XLs are great in tanks if your goal is making really scary combat units. Tanks are typically far less constrained by space concerns than mechs, so they can afford to more easily use fancy armor, (X)XLs, etc. The downside is that all that poo poo is expensive and most people build tanks to be cheaper throwaways vs mechs.

Nice. Good to know it's not a downside like I had assumed it would be. Thanks everybody who filled me in on tank building/rules.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Hard to want to throw a lot of money at a unit that can be completely immobilized by any random side hit. And unlike mechs tanks have 4 side arcs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would like to nominate both the Main Gauche and the Myrmidon for post-timeskip inclusion. The Main Gauche as the platonic ideal of self-propelled assault guns (A StuG by any other name) and the Myrmidon as a medium tank par excellence.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm so sorry for blasting you like that, instead of just coring out that jerk :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Armored motive systems should really become base equipment for post timeskip vehicles.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Strobe posted:

I would like to nominate both the Main Gauche and the Myrmidon for post-timeskip inclusion. The Main Gauche as the platonic ideal of self-propelled assault guns (A StuG by any other name) and the Myrmidon as a medium tank par excellence.

Myrmidons are dope as hell. It is known.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, I'm making a couple of post-timeskip vehicles. Probably not many, but every nation's getting an MBT and a VTOL, and there'll be a few generics floating around.

25t

30t

Talk me into redesigning your favorite (no promises (the Vedette is already in)).

Why do all the visable VTOLs use laser reflective armor? I thought autocannons were the perfered AA weapon of the space 80s.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
VTOLs aren't aircraft (they interact with incoming fire differently) and lasers get a to-hit bonus which makes them a bigger danger to a VTOL.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Thirding the need for a Gurtie.

That, or give us a new-tech take on the Schrek. Yes, I know, it's not really an MBT. I don't care, I just love that thing. :getin:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

VTOLs aren't aircraft (they interact with incoming fire differently) and lasers get a to-hit bonus which makes them a bigger danger to a VTOL.

LBX rounds do get a -4 bonus for them, though

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

True but I think LBXes get obsoleted by armor developments post-timeskip, judging by what was or wasn't in the preview file.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Y'know, it's kinda sad.

I redesigned the Vedette and now I don't really feel like putting the AC/5 on anything because the Vedette does it so well.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

25t

30t

Is one of these a yellow jacket? Because a VTOL with a Gauss is amazingly hilarious? I also vote for Marksmans and demon medium tanks

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 18, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pretty much all the Clan tanks have gone straight into "population suppression" territory.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Did they pull a full draconis combine police? Belt fed auto shotguns mounted on APCs to "police the natives"? Oooo I like that idea. a RACLBX2

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Stravag posted:

Is one of these a yellow jacket?

The Hawk Moth is a VTOL with a Light Gauss.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I vote the Asshur shows up, because what's not to love about a zippy hovercraft named the rear end, hur hur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stravag posted:

Did they pull a full draconis combine police? Belt fed auto shotguns mounted on APCs to "police the natives"? Oooo I like that idea. a RACLBX2

Clans use failed Elementals with Gauss SMGs for that.

• Locked thread