Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would not recommend it. I keep an e+LITE in my glovebox for emergencies, and it serves that role perfectly well.

But a few months ago, during a backyard barbeque at my dad's, the lamp over by the grill burned out. "I'll get my headlamp from my car!" I thought. "Preparedness to the rescue!"

Nah. Just made me wish I had my Tikkina at home. I couldn't pick out meat surface details as well as I would have liked.

I'll keep using the e+LITE right where it is.... it's enough light for me to change a tire by, but then again, changing tires doesn't make me have to keep my head away so I don't get smoke in my eyes and crap, so I can lean in and get a good look at my bolts to make sure they're all okay.

It's also got a red flasher, which I appreciate, but for seeing any details beyond arm's reach, even if that's just "arms' reach + barbeque tongs" I found it to be inadequate.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks, that's really helpful. I guess I should take the description of it as an emergency backup seriously and pick something burlier.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you're looking to chop out a battery or two entirely, may I suggest taking a look at Zebralight's flashlights?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you're looking to chop out a battery or two entirely, may I suggest taking a look at Zebralight's flashlights?
I can vouch for zerbra light, just don't leave non rechargable batteries is it. It will leak and it will get stuck in the light... Also don't spend the money on one for your mom if she doesn't use rechargable batteries.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I did see the zebralight H52 on one review site; it's on the higher end of my budget. Do you find the ability to take it off the band and use it as a hand light is worthwhile?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can't say that is a deciding factor for me. It is the physical build quality that impresses me along with being able to set the output anywhere between barely on and retina searing bright.

It doesn't have red or green LEDs in the same package, so that might be a mark against it depending on your needs.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

TBH the red option is something I would like to have. I'll see if any of my local shops have one to get my hands on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

Anyone use the Petzl e+LITE as a primary headlamp? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my heavy AAA-eater and leaning towards that one based on weight, but I don't have a good sense of what 50 lumens looks like, but it's 1/4 what the Tikka puts out

What are you trying to do with it? If you're looking for a rechargable headlamp, look for one that used 18650 lithium batteries, like the Fenix headlamps.

If you're looking for one on the trail, I still say it's tough to beat the black diamond storm with the green LEDs. I usually get several trips out if a battery change, and the green is about all I use hiking anymore, but the bright white is great when you need portable daylight.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

Anyone use the Petzl e+LITE as a primary headlamp? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my heavy AAA-eater and leaning towards that one based on weight, but I don't have a good sense of what 50 lumens looks like, but it's 1/4 what the Tikka puts out

I don’t have that exact model but 50 lm is not terribly bright, especially if you are used to a 200 lm headlamp.

I have been despairing over trying to find a good headlamp for years now, I’ve never found one that is the right combination of durable and simple. Probably got about 10 or 12 of them right now and they all suck for one reason or an other. The low end ones are so fragile most cant survive a waist-high drop and the fancy ones have a million brightness options that I hate and increasingly loving touch controls, which is the loving worst.

Almost at the point of buying one of those headband adapters for a mini mag light and just running with that for the rest of my life.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 18, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Almost at the point of buying one of those headband adapters for a mini mag light and just running with that for the rest of my life.
Have you tried using an LED minimag in the past decade? Relying on aluminum as one half of an electrical switch for the twist on/off style of flashlight is pretty lovely. I have to give my AA maglite a good smack against a hard surface to get full output every time I turn it on.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Have you tried using an LED minimag in the past decade?

Honestly no. I got into fancy boy flashlights in like 03-05 and never looked back.

The older plastic version of this lamp was the best that I had found, right up until all four that I bought started cracking at the exact same spot.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/hl23-fenix-headlamp/

The new version is Al, which should fix the cracking but the battery time is real bad, I would prefer at least 50lum for 7-8hours. I still might give it a try, 5lm is good for really dark nights when I cant hike by moonlight and once I discovered bullet-holder style battery holders, I always have 6 spares with me. I do wish it were AAA though.

EDIT:

Oh man, this one looks p sweet.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hm50r-rechargeable-headlamp/
I have moved away from CR123 poo poo, but it would be easy to keep 3-4 onhand as spares in my pack and just use the rechargeable for day to day stuff. I like that it is a single button and looks like it should withstand being tossed in a tool pouch at work.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 18, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon has a Osprey 25% off event right now.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...t=featured-rank

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

REI has Petzl on sale I think 25% off starting this weekend for their anniversary sale.
https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=petzl&origin=web&ir=q%3Apetzl&page=1

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I don’t have that exact model but 50 lm is not terribly bright, especially if you are used to a 200 lm headlamp.

I have been despairing over trying to find a good headlamp for years now, I’ve never found one that is the right combination of durable and simple. Probably got about 10 or 12 of them right now and they all suck for one reason or an other. The low end ones are so fragile most cant survive a waist-high drop and the fancy ones have a million brightness options that I hate and increasingly loving touch controls, which is the loving worst.

I use a petzl pixa 3, its waterproof and simple to use. 2 AAs. I backpack 180 days a year though, and petzl tikkas aren't even close to water resistant. Black diamonds are just as poo poo even though they say waterproof and routinely the led board would go bad so the controls wouldn't work.
The control locks off when I turn the lamp around, which was the only thing black diamond did well.

A year in and it's still 100% but who knows. It's also got a physical switch rather than the touch poo poo which I've always hated

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The black diamond icon and newer version of the storm have pretty robust waterproofing (fully sealed, 1 meter immersion rated). The older version of the storm did not, though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

I use a petzl pixa 3, its waterproof and simple to use. 2 AAs. I backpack 180 days a year though, and petzl tikkas aren't even close to water resistant. Black diamonds are just as poo poo even though they say waterproof and routinely the led board would go bad so the controls wouldn't work.
The control locks off when I turn the lamp around, which was the only thing black diamond did well.

A year in and it's still 100% but who knows. It's also got a physical switch rather than the touch poo poo which I've always hated

Interesting. I agree that BD ones seem to get gummed up with corrosion with just being stored in humid conditions like say my pack or car.

I do like that knob on the petzl though,
i will have to see if I can lay hands on one somewhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
REI is doing flash sales as part of their anniversary sale. 50% off their Flash 65 unisex and Flash 60 women's packs. https://www.rei.com/s/peak-deals-backpacks?origin=web&ir=collection%3Apeak-deals-backpacks&page=1&version=signals1

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The REI sale got its hooks into me deep but between that and a pair of Marmot Scree pants I'm mostly set on gear except for odds and ends.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have experience with the REI Igneo 25 sleeping bag? 30% off right now, down to $188 seems like a good price.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

REI is doing flash sales as part of their anniversary sale. 50% off their Flash 65 unisex and Flash 60 women's packs. https://www.rei.com/s/peak-deals-backpacks?origin=web&ir=collection%3Apeak-deals-backpacks&page=1&version=signals1

The Flash 65 for $100 seems like a great deal. I'm buying one to replace my 12-year-old REI Mars pack and shedding 1.5 pounds in the process.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Picked up some patagonia trail shorts at the REI sale because they were only $40. They have 2 zippered side pockets, one rear zippered pocket, they sit above the knee, no fly, and an internal boxer brief style liner that feels like exofficio underwear. May cut that out if it seems annoying.

Also picked up a black diamond storm headlamp. I'm skeptical of the 300 lumens, it seems about as bright as my older princeton tec remix which was only 150 but it had a traditional cone reflector that seems to concentrate the beam forward whereas the BD seems to use a plastic magnifier which doesn't seem as efficient.

Holy christ I'll be amazed if someone can make a headlamp more complicated. I'm starting to really appreciate the simplicity of my old lamp.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Picked up some patagonia trail shorts at the REI sale because they were only $40. They have 2 zippered side pockets, one rear zippered pocket, they sit above the knee, no fly, and an internal boxer brief style liner that feels like exofficio underwear. May cut that out if it seems annoying.

Also picked up a black diamond storm headlamp. I'm skeptical of the 300 lumens, it seems about as bright as my older princeton tec remix which was only 150 but it had a traditional cone reflector that seems to concentrate the beam forward whereas the BD seems to use a plastic magnifier which doesn't seem as efficient.

Holy christ I'll be amazed if someone can make a headlamp more complicated. I'm starting to really appreciate the simplicity of my old lamp.

Yeah, the controls on the storm are completely overwhelming at first. But once you get the hang of it, they kinda do make sense in their own convoluted way. Basically hold from off to change color, tap for brightness (it'll blink twice at max, which is a pretty great feature), double tap to do something else, and hold for 6 seconds from off to lock.

Fantastic light though, and batteries last forever. It's functionally bright enough for anything, and that green led is the best feature ever put on a headlamp. Plus the red is actually bright enough to be useful, for the first time ever in a headlamp

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The black diamond complexity is insane. Just carry the instructions with you for a while. I took one on my Grand Canyon trip and after about 10 days I had all the whacky functions figured out.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Whatup backpacking friends!

I was up in White River National Forest last night camping solo in my old sleeping bag and borrowed close cell foam pad that belongs to my roommate. It was a hellish night of my hips digging into the ground and tossing and turning to try and get comfortable. Every other part of the trip was lovely but the lack of sleeping just killed me.

Fast forward to when I get home I immediately start researching sleep pads. I'm a big guy (6'2", 225lbs) side sleeper/back sleeper and I think I've narrowed down the pad that would work for me is the Big Agnes Q-Core SLX Sleeping Pad

Then I start looking and see Big Agnes has solved the other problem of wrestling an AWOL sleeping pad back under my rear end with their system bags > https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Big-Agnes-System-Bags

So now I'm kinda kicking around the idea of scrapping my whole setup and going with a BA system that has that integrated pad sleeve. REI is also doing a 20-30% off coupon today-tomorrow so it would take some of the sting out of the pricetag.

However I've seen this business about backpacking quilts now and I'm wondering if there is a backpacking quilt that will play nice with that huge Q-Core SLX Sleeping Pad? Hiking/camping season is upon us here in the Rockies and I want to make a good choice!

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 28, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

johnnyonetime posted:

Whatup backpacking friends!

I was up in White River National Forest last night camping solo in my old sleeping bag and borrowed close cell foam pad that belongs to my roommate. It was a hellish night of my hips digging into the ground and tossing and turning to try and get comfortable. Every other part of the trip was lovely but the lack of sleeping just killed me.

Fast forward to when I get home I immediately start researching sleep pads. I'm a big guy (6'2", 225lbs) side sleeper/back sleeper and I think I've narrowed down the pad that would work for me is the Big Agnes Q-Core SLX Sleeping Pad

Then I start looking and see Big Agnes has solved the other problem of wrestling an AWOL sleeping pad back under my rear end with their system bags > https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Big-Agnes-System-Bags

So now I'm kinda kicking around the idea of scrapping my whole setup and going with a BA system that has that integrated pad sleeve. REI is also doing a 20-30% off coupon today-tomorrow so it would take some of the sting out of the pricetag.

However I've seen this business about backpacking quilts now and I'm wondering if there is a backpacking quilt that will play nice with that huge Q-Core SLX Sleeping Pad? Hiking/camping season is upon us here in the Rockies and I want to make a good choice!

I've always been curious to try an all in one integrated system from Big Agnes, it just seems like such a great idea. Did you wind up getting one?

If you're looking for affordable quilts, hammock gear sells a line of econ quilts that have a similar exterior fabric they're able to source cheaper, saving like $100. Plus you can add something to attach it to the pad, I don't know what but it's an option during checkout. Between a sewn footbox and shoulder snaps, I haven't needed any attachment when sleeping on a pad though, it just works pretty great all on its own

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've always been curious to try an all in one integrated system from Big Agnes, it just seems like such a great idea. Did you wind up getting one?

I've got the Big A Fishhook w/ an REI pad. It has the sleeve for the pad, and it works wonderfully. The biggest thing is that I no longer roll off of the pad at night. It stays put. My pad kinda leaks, but when its full I'm insulated from the ground well. By morning its probably half full, so not the worst.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're looking for affordable quilts, hammock gear sells a line of econ quilts that have a similar exterior fabric they're able to source cheaper, saving like $100. Plus you can add something to attach it to the pad, I don't know what but it's an option during checkout. Between a sewn footbox and shoulder snaps, I haven't needed any attachment when sleeping on a pad though, it just works pretty great all on its own

I ended up getting the Big Agnes sleeping pad at the REI sale but didn't end up getting a sleeping system.

I found the Enlightened Equipment link a few pages back in the thread and it looks like they have a simple solution to the pad slippage > https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/218674147-Pad-Straps

I'm pretty sold on the quilt setup now! Not being constricted in a traditional bag is appealing to me, no zippers to jam in the middle of the night and having a drawstring on the footbox for those warmer months. Makes sense to me.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Late to the sleeping bag discussion, but I'm fairly broad-shouldered myself and found Sierra Designs' Backcountry Bed design to be solid for my frame. It's zipperless, so that was a nice bonus for my preferences as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tau posted:

Late to the sleeping bag discussion, but I'm fairly broad-shouldered myself and found Sierra Designs' Backcountry Bed design to be solid for my frame. It's zipperless, so that was a nice bonus for my preferences as well.

I just picked this up last week and I can finally sleep on my stomach!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

tau posted:

I’ve had one for a couple years, and I love the thing. Big and roomy, and the flap in the foot box is the best.

I’m about to order a custom Zimmerbuilt pack for camping and fishing trips. Anybody have any nifty features they’ve added or found in a pack that I should consider?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm wiggly as hell when sleeping, regardless of whether it's on a bed, hammock, or pad. I have a regular sized UGQ top quilt and use the massdrop klymit pad and between the both of those I'm covered (heh) for back, side, and belly sleeping.

e. I'm 6 ft / 180 lbs for reference.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve had one for a couple years, and I love the thing. Big and roomy, and the flap in the foot box is the best.

I’m about to order a custom Zimmerbuilt pack for camping and fishing trips. Anybody have any nifty features they’ve added or found in a pack that I should consider?

Shoulder-strap pockets are great. A mesh bottom pocket like on the Pa'lante V2 would also be cool:

https://palantepacks.com/product/v2/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Now that it's warm I finally got around to using my Klymit LWD and it's fun as hell. I didn't find it uncomfortable to sit in, even when I had an extra 50 pounds of child in my lap. The LWD + AE Ultralight Paddle + MTI Journey is sub 5-pound setup so it's (relatively) easy to bring along on a hiking trip while unlocking a whole lotta places to explore. It advertises a capacity of 350 lbs so I'd like to do some small canoeing trips with it at some point.

Massdrop occasionally sells the raft for $100 and REI garage had the lifejacket for $30, so with patience you could snag the whole lot for under $200. Would recommend/10 if you've ever enjoyed getting out on the water.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Tigren posted:

Wow! I was in REI over the weekend trying to find something to use my 20% coupon and dividend on and I see Big Agnes has a new UL tent out that combines the best features of the Copper Spur and Fly Creek.

The Tiger Wall has two side doors and two vestibules with a cross pole to increase headroom and overall volume. It uses the triangular pole configuration of the Fly Creek and similar light weight materials. Big Agnes also updated the zipper to be two discrete zips which meet at the corner instead of one that has to go around a curve. That curve is where a lot of the Fly Creeks tended to break after repeated use. The TW UL2 is only 4oz heavier than the FC UL2 while the TW UL3 is actually lighter than the FC UL3 by a couple ounces. Needless to say I picked up the UL3 for me and the girlfriend. This tent seriously fixed every issue I had with my Fly Creek.

Looks smaller than the FC UL2, though getting it to come in around the same weight while adding another door probably does that.

Still, two side entries versus a front/head entry is pretty sweet.

re: Piezo's at altitude, I've never had a problem even when camping at near 12k feet. Maybe it's more of an issue higher than that? :shrug:

Guest2553 posted:

I'll pimp ULA packs as well. Circuit/ohm are both lightweight (sub 40 oz) internal frame 60+L bags that are fairly versatile and have good reputations. No suspension though, if you care about it, but last year's models are sub $200.

I have a circuit and while it was probably more pack than I needed, it's not unwieldy and future proofs me against longer trips/bear cans/winter camping/carrying stuff for my kid.

My wife and I have Circuit's and love them.

Chard posted:

Yes I've used one while backpacking. If you're doing any hiking at night, don't do it. If you just need something around camp when it gets dark and you're packing up for bed, or for when you get up to piss at night, it's fine. In a pinch I'm sure you could hike with it on a good trail and being careful.

Someone posted this light just a bit ago and it seems interesting

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nu20/

360 lumins max, 1.65 oz though I bet that doesn't include a strap

I gotta prep for our first "real" backpacking trip with a kid coming up in a few weeks. Need to see how much gear I can shove in his carrying backpack and if the rest will fit in my wife's pack so she doesn't have to carry all the kid weight...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any ideas for sleeping situation for a toddler? I'm thinking about sticking him in a dog bed, as they're cheaper than pads, and the bumpers should keep him from rolling around too much. We're gonna do a sleeping in the tent test run in the back yard this weekend.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Any ideas for sleeping situation for a toddler? I'm thinking about sticking him in a dog bed, as they're cheaper

As a childless goon, this seems to me like solid advice in general

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We're just car camping but I put my under 3 year olds in snow suits instead of sleeping bags. Put them on my old sleeping pads between us in the tent. Now they have kid sized sleeping bags.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FogHelmut posted:

Any ideas for sleeping situation for a toddler? I'm thinking about sticking him in a dog bed, as they're cheaper than pads, and the bumpers should keep him from rolling around too much. We're gonna do a sleeping in the tent test run in the back yard this weekend.

We just use an old sleeping pad of mine and put him between us. I don't think a dog bed would contain him since when he tends to move around now, it's more of a sit up and throw himself in a direction. Depending on where you're at and how cold it gets at night, I'd also worry that a dog bed doesn't provide enough insulation from the cold ground compared to an actual sleeping pad.

I got a synthetic quilt for him that should last a little while and right now can just lay it over him like a blanket (or...quilt), but when he gets older he'll hopefully get interested in closing the bottom and setting it up like a proper backpacking quilt.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kids (12 mo, 4 yr) use foam pads with synthetic child-sized bags. The baby's pad is a cheap foil-lined open-celled one that we fold since she's so small. The pad works well, but she doesn't like having her arms in the bag so sometimes they get cold. She also tries to crawl into other people's sleeping bags at night which is :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We tried a pad with pool noodles as bumpers (not that we need bumpers when the pad is 2" thick). He crawled around the tent for an hour. Even the dog got bored and went to sleep before he did. Devising a new strategy so that he is less enamored by the tent before bedtime.