Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the idea of king's avatar, but it's pretty boring in practice. the show was surprisingly even more boring, possibly because there were a lot of fights and there was absolutely no budget to animate even a single fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You know what this action scene needs? Another 5 seconds of reused animation to show the umbrella transforming into a gun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

darkgray posted:

For the heck of it, I went through a few months' worth of manga adaptations, and it seems isekai is pretty popular these days:

Who's to blame for this?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Who's to blame for this?

humanity

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What site do you check to find new and upcoming manga?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Argas posted:

You know what this action scene needs? Another 5 seconds of reused animation to show the umbrella transforming into a gun.

We all know RWBY sucks, but I didn't think it was a WN too?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Jackard posted:

What site do you check to find new and upcoming manga?

You can set Amazon.co.jp to show manga releases from the past 90 days.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Argas posted:

Got into The King's Avatar WN after watching the OVAs, which were much better because they didn't feature much if any of the 5s animation of an umbrella turning into a gun.

The main plot actually kicks off somewhat. There's clear milestones on the way to the ultimate goal which makes it more enjoyable when things can actually advance, compared to the animation felt very samey after the initial setup. Maybe the WN is better there too but I'm not all that interested in going back. Long fighting sequences make me roll my eyes because you have to remember a bunch of different move names from a fictional game but the trash talking is funny.

There's elements of a revenge fantasy but the lack of malice on Ye Xiu's part makes it enjoyable to read compared to, say, Shield Hero and every WN revenge fantasy. Ye Xiu managing to social engineer his way into and out of trouble is definitely the highlight of the series.

It's good and it gets better as it goes. It manages to consistently have the always good main character is shameless and scams people segments from chinese novels while keeping the scams fresh and since it's in a video game you never have that ohh dear the protagonist just killed thousands of people for his plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Who's to blame for this?

Someone could probably write a paper on Japan's poor economy resulting in millions of young people fantasizing about dying and being reborn as someone with a ton of power and money.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's good and it gets better as it goes. It manages to consistently have the always good main character is shameless and scams people segments from chinese novels while keeping the scams fresh and since it's in a video game you never have that ohh dear the protagonist just killed thousands of people for his plot.

The trash talking is part of what makes it really fun to read. They're swearing up and down with anger but it's clear that it's more frustration and mindgames than actual vitriol.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Shanakin posted:

"Unfortunately young miss, third-female-lead I can see a problem with the mana in your body" the man sternly warned.
"A problem, in my mana?!" the woman panicked. A problem in someone's mana was very serious and could lead to all kinds of mundane and terrible problems.
"Yes. There is a problem with the flow of your mana", he elaborated.
"Oh no! Not the flow of the mana" she lamented, flow problems were often very painful and could be of dire consequences - she needed to know more so she asked "What kind of problem is there with my mana flow?"
"Unfortunately I can not tell yet what the problem with your mana flow is. I can not see through your clothing clearly enough to determine the exact nature of your mana flow" the man continued with the seriousness the situation demanded.
The woman, stunned by the mans audacity was about to protest but was suddenly overcome by weakness and collapsed on the spot.
"This is bad, your flow has become strong and eratic" the man coldly stated. "I must examine you, please forgive my rudeness" he hurriedly said as he began stripping her clothes. A minute later he was left staring at her, but not at her perfect jadite skin or immaculate form, no he was staring at the dense, pulsating gathering of negative mana in her lower abdomen that was ready to explode. He had read about such symptoms before and suddenly realised just how blessed he truly was. Thinking quickly he looked into her eyes and said "You don't have much time, I can save you, but we don't have much time. I must use a secret technique and so you must swear your eternal loyalty and servitude to me on your soul, or I can only helplessly watch you suffer". His pained voice making it clear just how serious this matter was.
Too weak to reply, the strength of her neck finally gave out, causing it to tilt. Accepting this as sufficient acceptance, the man cast his binding oath of servitude upon her and then began to strip.
"You have a critical build up of negative mana in your lower abdomen which must be absorbed away and replaced with an immediate injection of positive mana energies. I'm sorry, but this is for your own good, and will need to be repeated regularly" the man explained, secretly overjoyed at the boost to the growth of his mana well she would provide.
"but my love, my betrothed...childhood-rival-two" she weakly protested,
"Is me now" the man said, invoking the power of the binding oath upon her.
With dead eyes she looks upon his face and declares with her weak voice, "my betrothed is you".
An unrivalled sense of satisfaction ran through the mans body as he realised he had taken the betrothed of his nemesis, childhood-rival-two as his mana-well concubine.

Is that better?

edit: On second thoughts I think I'll have to give up my dream of being a Qidian writer. I'm too weak-willed to write more of the quality content of the above level.

God bless you.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I decided to calculate how much stuff costs at webnovel.com, and I'd like to start off by telling bullshit microtransaction currencies to gently caress off for forcing me to use a spreadsheet to calculate how much poo poo actually costs.

So, to start off:
  • webnovel.com uses spirit stones as their internet funbucks.
  • Depending on how many you buy at once, you get 50 to 65 stones per USD.
  • You get ~20 spirit stones per day for using the site.
  • Paywalled chapters costs 10 spirit stones on average.
  • Novels tend to release 2 chapters a day, or 12-14 chapters a week.*

Putting that all together, you basically get to read 1 novel for free, and have to pay for every novel after that. Assuming you buy spirit stones in the largest amounts possible, it costs at minimum $8 per novel per month, or $96 per novel per year to keep up, not including periodic mass releases.

That just seems insane to me, paying nearly the cost of netflix to read a single webnovel.

*I didn't bother collecting much data, I just based it on the 3 novels I follow.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BadMedic posted:

I decided to calculate how much stuff costs at webnovel.com, and I'd like to start off by telling bullshit microtransaction currencies to gently caress off for forcing me to use a spreadsheet to calculate how much poo poo actually costs.

So, to start off:

Putting that all together, you basically get to read 1 novel for free, and have to pay for every novel after that. Assuming you buy spirit stones in the largest amounts possible, it costs at minimum $8 per novel per month, or $96 per novel per year to keep up, not including periodic mass releases.

That just seems insane to me, paying nearly the cost of netflix to read a single webnovel.

*I didn't bother collecting much data, I just based it on the 3 novels I follow.

You can earn low 30's or so spirit stones per day by using the app (5 for voting, 5 for voting for upcoming novel, ~10-12 for login reward, ~10-12 for watching a 30s ad), which is enough for reading 2 books.

In related news I now read 2 books on webnovel, after I dropped reading two stories because I don't want to pay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BadMedic posted:

So, to start off:

lol just make an alt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just wait for the free releases. while i read some series on qidian, there's nothing terribly exciting.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We Xianxia now.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 17, 2018

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
is that even an official source? or just "translators" charging for other people's work?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

The Sandman posted:

Here, something actually good to read.

Yes, even given the setting.

And it fills that "MC who isn't overpowered without it turning into Grimgar" request from a few pages back.

I'll second this. I really enjoy Number None and what it does with arrancar society and some of the lesser known hollows. Also Nemo is adorable.

Argas posted:

Got into The King's Avatar WN after watching the OVAs, which were much better because they didn't feature much if any of the 5s animation of an umbrella turning into a gun.

I like the WN better than the OVAs mainly because the OVAs and anime season really streamline everything. It does get a bit annoying while you're waiting on updates, but Ye Xiu's shameless plans, especially in game, are better appreciated in the WN (partially because they're actually shown but also because they need time to play out).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Katreus posted:

I'll second this. I really enjoy Number None and what it does with arrancar society and some of the lesser known hollows. Also Nemo is adorable.

I like the WN better than the OVAs mainly because the OVAs and anime season really streamline everything. It does get a bit annoying while you're waiting on updates, but Ye Xiu's shameless plans, especially in game, are better appreciated in the WN (partially because they're actually shown but also because they need time to play out).

It's definitely one of those things that change with different mediums. Not that animation can't do scheming and poo poo (Death Note) but the animation couldn't even do action scenes very well.

Apparently there's also a live-action adaptation of TKA. Wonder how they're doing in-game scenes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sandman posted:

Here, something actually good to read.

Yes, even given the setting. And it fills that "MC who isn't overpowered without it turning into Grimgar" request from a few pages back.
I don't really mind fanfiction, but know nothing about Bleach and this seems pretty deep into it. Thanks, though.

Jackard posted:

Hm! Are there any other fantasy stories where the protagonist isn't a. overpowered and b. a piece of poo poo?

Jackard posted:

That seems like a big leap from "not overpowered"..? No, I'm not looking for something like Grimgar.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
there's tons of "kingdom-builder" type fantasy stories where MC personally isn't very strong but makes up for it with his amazing knowledge of soy sauce or whatever (for example I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World, Risou no Himo Seikatsu, Cooking with Wild Game, Realist Kingdom Reform) all of which are pretty ok if you like the genre. But for more straight "fantasy hero on an adventure" nothing really springs to my mind. I was a sword when I reincarnated maybe? I've heard it's good and that the MC duo become much less overwhelmingly powerful relative to their opponents a little later into the story. Dungeon Defense? The MC is pretty bullshit with his "social engineering" you might call it, but he's personally one of the weakest characters in the setting. Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta? This one fits bet I think, it' very "low fantasy" and the MC isn't super strong except for her (relatively) high social standing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

sunken fleet posted:

there's tons of "kingdom-builder" type fantasy stories where MC personally isn't very strong but makes up for it with his amazing knowledge of soy sauce or whatever

I very much prefer this; what can anyone recommend that also has a good translation? The more detailed the explanation and narration is of how they recreated earth thing with magic thing (a la Honzuki), the better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dungeon defense is entertaining because it's about huge pieces of poo poo hamming it up and digging themselves deeper all the time. sword reincarnation is mostly inoffensive, but unfortunately has long stretches with godawful machine translations. i thought 4bil lottery was really bad, because it was about some random dude buying stuff online being worshipped as a living god. i'm not sure of the right terminology, since it is a
textbook white savior fantasy but the mc is japanese.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

I very much prefer this; what can anyone recommend that also has a good translation? The more detailed the explanation and narration is of how they recreated earth thing with magic thing (a la Honzuki), the better.

if you're more interested about how to get technology and a fair society running than specifically technomagic i'll point to the 1632 series of actual-factual novels as a good thing to read in that genre, it counts as a WN imo since the first couple are available free online: http://baencd.freedoors.org/Books/1632/1632.htm

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

I, Who had Arrived in Another World, Will Live As I Like With My Hypnosis Ability (The Girls who will become Lewd Female Toilets)

On the last day of his high school 2nd year summer holiday, the protagonist, Hashima Koji, was run over by a car and died.

He was going to be reincarnated into another world, but he ignored the goddess’s request, used hypnosis on her and turned her into a meat toilet.

Koji, who had reincarnated into a different world, began to live as he pleased while using hypnosis. Contains Cruelty, Futanari, and Rape.

I love Japan.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

UberJew posted:

if you're more interested about how to get technology and a fair society running than specifically technomagic i'll point to the 1632 series of actual-factual novels as a good thing to read in that genre, it counts as a WN imo since the first couple are available free online: http://baencd.freedoors.org/Books/1632/1632.htm

Yeah I've read some of those. American recommendations are fine too actually! I did reach my limit with Wizard's Bane though; that was way too insufferable.

(also as long as we're talking about that topic then I'm giving Ryan North's upcoming book a good faith recommendation as he's a good writer and as far as I can tell this is going to be the book to memorize if you're ever worried about getting stuck in the past without technology)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Argue posted:

I'll be honest with you, Release That Witch is not well translated at all, but the story and the general lack of, let's say, creepiness, are good enough to compensate for it.

Argue posted:

(also as long as we're talking about that topic then I'm giving Ryan North's upcoming book a good faith recommendation as he's a good writer and as far as I can tell this is going to be the book to memorize if you're ever worried about getting stuck in the past without technology)

Looks good. And Ryan's great, yeah. There's also The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Civilization in the Aftermath of a Cataclysm in a similar vein, that's already out.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I haven't found anything quite as good at that as Honzuki, whose author actually did research and had Maine have to go through trial and error. Most stuff the MC just kind of waves their hand and makes soy sauce or flush toilets or whatever.

From the above list I will give a shout out to Risou no Himou Seikatsu. I'd been turned off by the description a bit, but I really loved it once I got into it. The translation's pretty good and only a couple volumes behind the raws. I will say that if you're looking for specifically technological development stuff it's kind of a secondary focus compared to dealing with the cultural gap of marrying into fantasy India royalty and your standard nobility drama stuff. They do go pretty well in detail during the technological development parts, though, and there's interesting twists like utterly mundane earth goods becoming top secret strategic resources because of how they interact with magic.

If you liked Honzuki I might also tentatively recommend Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho. It's got a very different style, but the basic concept is quite similar to Honzuki, only the MC is a lot more capable than Maine and not obsessed with books. Rather, it focuses more on the implications of a small minority of wizards ruling over vast numbers of uneducated peasants. The translation isn't very far along, but I don't remember it being too bad. IIRC it's a bit slow to start, though, and it doesn't go into much technical detail.

Only Sense Online and Frontiers ~Chronicles of Bucket-san’s Detailed Pioneering~ also both go into a decent amount of detail about making stuff, but there it's an MMO crafting system rather than reproducing earth technology.

sunken fleet posted:

But for more straight "fantasy hero on an adventure" nothing really springs to my mind. I was a sword when I reincarnated maybe? I've heard it's good and that the MC duo become much less overwhelmingly powerful relative to their opponents a little later into the story.

Swordguy is one of my favorite straight up adventure stories and I'd recommend it, but the MC is still fairly overpowered. After the author settles in after the early parts, they seem pretty devoted to making sure that the MC is not quite as powerful as the strongest people/monsters in the story, but only one small step down, and still more powerful than everyone else. So they'll wipe the floor with everyone they meet except the big boss at the end of each story arc, basically.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Megazver posted:

I'll be honest with you, Release That Witch is not well translated at all, but the story and the general lack of, let's say, creepiness, are good enough to compensate for it.

From people I have talked to the original is really poorly written, and the noble houses names are GoT references. The more I hear the more I'm like ohh dear so that was worse in the original.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

From people I have talked to the original is really poorly written, and the noble houses names are GoT references. The more I hear the more I'm like ohh dear so that was worse in the original.

I mean, there's really just the one royal family, the, cough, Wimbledons. There are some other noble families as minor characters and I suppose the translator could have just changed things to make it less cringe, but I'm trying to come up with any parallels to GoT and I can't really think of any.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Argue posted:

"Tales of the Reincarnated Lord" also falls under the readable quality kingdom building novels like Release the Witch and
Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
Why do some translators use Japanese style quotation marks (「」) in place of English style ("") for dialogue?

It's something I used to see in LN translations years ago, and I've seen it in a few WN translations too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You know deep down in your kokoro, you baka.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and i must meme posted:

Why do some translators use Japanese style quotation marks (「」) in place of English style ("") for dialogue?

It's something I used to see in LN translations years ago, and I've seen it in a few WN translations too.

Because it's a 「cheap trick」 to make stand names look cooler.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

jwang posted:

Cultivation Chat Group is like the 1% of the Xianxia genre, so it's in its own category. I'm talking about the general murder-hobo stories, where the go-to resolution to any problem is the kill the poo poo out of anyone that looks at you cross-eyed.

I read a hobo murder story called Reverend Insanity. It's like xianxia but with pokemon too. The protagonist pursues the unabashedly evil demonic path and recognizes that he is 100% evil. It was kind of refreshing. No thin justifications for murder or pining about being moral and right for robbin' and murderin'. Just murder hobo doing what a murder hobo does best. Protagonist muscle wizard travels back 500 years in time to his childhood and get's a second chance in life. He uses this chance to nab treasures before anyone else and screw over everyone. In the later chapters, he takes two children hostage, who have done nothing to him ever, and kicks them into a fire to burn alive so he can get a super rare xianxia pokemon.

edit: It's baaaaaaaad. But I kind of like dude just being straight up "Yes I am evil."

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks, I read through a bunch of Release the Witch and I think I'll read more. I have to say, being reincarnated as a noble doesn't do it for me because whenever this happens in a story everything just seems to fall into the main character's lap, but I'm enjoying the parts where he invents earth things with the help of magic users enough to make up for it. I don't think I'd want to try reading this raw though.

Rirekisho is next but wow the translations of these first 6 chapters are awful.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

You know deep down in your kokoro, you baka.

THIS  MUST  BE  THE  WORK  OF  AN  ENEMY 「TRANSLATOR」!!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Megazver posted:

I love Japan.

Is this like, a parody or something?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

Is this like, a parody or something?

No the world is just full of perverts. Some of which apparently feel compelled to translate and share text based erotica for reasons that are unknowable to the likes of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really understand translating erotic fiction. like, there's plenty in your native language already, no matter what that language may be. heck, as google just confirmed this includes esperanto.